PDA

View Full Version : Meaningless TIP unless

Jeriatric
02-04-2014, 03:30 PM
you use a credit card often and get tired of having to swipe while it's covered with a plastic bag or register paper. Between swiping and wallet wear the magnetic strip goes caput in a few months. I use mine daily.

A little background. Before my last trip I ordered replacements for a couple cards. The one I always use and a backup from another bank. Talking to both customer service centers they each shared the same information with me. To cut costs they have stopped putting a cover coat over the magnetic strip.

So, I had this idea. And, it works. Apply clear scotch tape over the strip and trim cleanly on the ends.

Hope this helps someone who has also had to.....swipe once, twice, three times, sxxx, darn thing, paperless world my Axx.... IF, you have been there done that you know the routine.

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
...A simple piece of tape... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_8.gif
:clap: Thanks! :thumbup:

MouthPiece
02-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Wait till the new cards with more encryption come out.

Chris

Jeriatric
02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Wait till the new cards with more encryption come out.

Chris

Heard about them. Sad thing is, they are already in use in different parts of the world, and the crooks already know how to defeat them.:gaah: :helpsmilie:

As the world turns........check your holdings daily. nojoke

scooterexpress
02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Another solution is get those magnetic proof credit card holders the banks have them for free just ask for some.they are like little envelopes for c.c.

bruiser
02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
If you really want to screw up a mag card, put them in your wallet with the strips facing each other. :yikes:

Chupaca
02-04-2014, 07:07 PM
good to know. This will work well for the big users but I do wonder about the otherside of this. I have cards that work fine at some places yet not at others. Is that the reader going bad..?? thanks for the tip...:2thumbs:

NancysToy
02-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I was wondering if some tape would screw it up. Thanks for being the Guinea Pig, Jer. I will tape my replacement when it comes.

USAFE7RET
02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
There is also a new electronic credit card that allows you to enter your card number and type (MC, AMMEX,etc) and then select which ever one you want to use. It has a application with your smart phone that will disable it after so many feet, so the waiter can't run off with it, and will alert you if you happen to leave it behind. Delivery starts in June of this year, and pre-orders were $50.00. My son got the wife and I each one for Christmas. Wish I could remember the name of it...

bullant12
02-05-2014, 01:20 PM
There is also a new electronic credit card that allows you to enter your card number and type (MC, AMMEX,etc) and then select which ever one you want to use. It has a application with your smart phone that will disable it after so many feet, so the waiter can't run off with it, and will alert you if you happen to leave it behind. Delivery starts in June of this year, and pre-orders were $50.00. My son got the wife and I each one for Christmas. Wish I could remember the name of it...

https://onlycoin.com/

billybovine
02-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Two years ago I took a trip through Michigan and was surprised that my credit card had to be swiped everywhere. Here in Ontario all the merchants read the chip not the magnetic strip except for some gas pumps. For small purchases it's tap and go. For larger purchases you insert the card and key in your pin.

I just set up my phone to do tap and go at a restaurant. I have not tried that feature out yet.