PDA

View Full Version : Spyder RT Generation 1, 2, & 3

Jeriatric
02-02-2014, 10:54 AM
2010/12 = Gen 1 - small changes from year to year

2013 = Gen 2 - major frame and front suspension change

2014 = Gen 3 - except for buttons, switches, and overall appearance. It's an all new RT

Evolution of the RT

There's more to it than this.

Your input will help future RT owners understand from where it came.

jcthorne
02-02-2014, 11:53 AM
The 13 and 14 have far more in common than the 12 and 13. Yes the 14 has the all new engine/trans but the frame, suspension, wheels and body other than the frunk are all the same between the 13 and 14. Perhaps slightly stiffer springs for the higher weight, but same geometry.

Bob Denman
02-02-2014, 11:54 AM
:clap: That's a pretty darn good start! :2thumbs:
Gen1; version 2011: Stiffer front springs, and an update to the throttle body system
What changed for 2012? :dontknow:

Chupaca
02-02-2014, 12:10 PM
much like the VW Beetle or Mini it is hard to tell the year. So many changes are not visible from the outside. But your assesment is a great base and for future buyers in the leftover or used market a good basis to start with..:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
02-02-2014, 12:18 PM
2011 shorter narrower windshield. 2012 orange backlight on digital display

spacetiger
02-02-2014, 12:44 PM
2013: don't forget better brakes (bigger front discs, 250mm to 270mm; different front calipers). Bigger brake discs possible because wheel diameter went from 14" to 15" as front fender backbone moved from inside fender to outside fender

Jerry

Magdave
02-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Actually the shocks and springs are different between the 13 and 14. The 14 has stiffer shocks and might be an upgrade for the 13. Someone already did it and reported a favorable out come.:thumbup: The 13 shocks are a one off :gaah:

NancysToy
02-02-2014, 06:16 PM
I actually don't buy into the premise that there are distinct differences in the Spyder models, 2010-2013.
2014 with a new power plant and tranny might be different.

I've ridden all the years and I have found more differences in the individual Spyders rather that the year.
We have all made changes in our rides to suit us.

My '10 handles way different than Glo's '12.
She hates mine and I can't stand hers.There are substantial differences between the early RTs and the 2013. Frame, shocks, brakes, suspension geometry. They may look the same on the outside and have the same powerplant, but the innards have too much difference to ignore. JMHO

NancysToy
02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion.
Something that I reserve for myself as well.
Tim Taylor siad otherwise on the Tool Time show...at least as far as his wife was concerned. :roflblack:

In most automotive circles, it takes a major restyling or a powerplant change to define a new generation. In that sense your assesment (or was that your opinion) is right on the money. It is hard to define the major and hidden changes in the 2013. It is a bit of an orphan in that sense...neither fish nor fowl. Perhaps it is best if we just use model years and forget about generations. Maybe this is like dog years? ;)

Magdave
02-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Tim Taylor siad otherwise on the Tool Time show...at least as far as his wife was concerned. :roflblack:

In most automotive circles, it takes a major restyling or a powerplant change to define a new generation. In that sense your assesment (or was that your opinion) is right on the money. It is hard to define the major and hidden changes in the 2013. It is a bit of an orphan in that sense...neither fish nor fowl. Perhaps it is best if we just use model years and forget about generations. Maybe this is like dog years? ;)
Suffice to say the 2013 IS unique . How do you catch one? Unique up on it. :roflblack:

Jeriatric
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Identifying changes as generational is not foreign to motorcycles and what seperates one generation from another, at times, is seemingly minor.

Refference: Yamaha FJR generations.

Seems like a logical way to identify change. Some may agree, some may disagree.