PDA

View Full Version : Shifting in the 2014

maliamd
02-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Question.....do you have to be going a certain speed to shift up? I was trying out my new 2014 and determining the shift speeds. I tried going into 5th gear from 4th at about 32 mph. It would not let me shift up. I then increased my speed to about 38mph and it shifted into 5th gear without any problem. Is this normal?

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-01-2014, 02:41 PM
I would think this is something designed into the computer so you do not damage the transmission.....Lugging the engine/transmission is a VERY BAD thing to do.......I'm surprised it let you shift into 5 th at 38 mph. I don't treat my Toys gently, but I do treat them respectfully. Ride-em HARD but never put them away WET,,,,,,:yikes:...:thumbup:...:roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:......Mike

Chupaca
02-01-2014, 02:45 PM
you need to check the manual for the shifting recommendation. At those speeds it would seem you should not be in 5th gear. The rpms at where the clutch is fully engaged should be your shift point so you are not slipping the clutch or lugging the engine. Unless you have an sm6 your clutch will wear out prematurely if it is manual you will probably stall...:thumbup:

billybovine
02-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Question.....do you have to be going a certain speed to shift up? I was trying out my new 2014 and determining the shift speeds. I tried going into 5th gear from 4th at about 32 mph. It would not let me shift up. I then increased my speed to about 38mph and it shifted into 5th gear without any problem. Is this normal?

:hun: 2014 what? Give us a hint would ya.

Bob Denman
02-01-2014, 05:12 PM
:agree: Which one do you have. :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
02-01-2014, 05:57 PM
He has a 2014 RTS se6

3 Wheel Addict
02-01-2014, 06:03 PM
The 2014 models dont have that centrifugle clutch anymore so that thing slipping wont be an issue. However I bet the ecm has rpm limits for minimum shift speeds to keep from lugging the engine.

spyderyderjim
02-01-2014, 06:19 PM

I suggest you shift your 2014 RT SE6 at 3,000 rpm & above up to 4,500 rpm.
You really don't want to lug your new motor below about 2500 rpm during break in & normal riding!
As you know you should vary your RPMs up & down & not hold a steady RPM on the road while breaking in about first 500 miles.
I shift by RPM, never look at speedo (until I am speeding), which is easy to do on my new 2014 RT-S SE6.
I hope this helps you a little.
Enjoy your new RT 1330 motor!!
Jim

Lamonster
02-01-2014, 06:21 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75748&d=1379288961

fastfraser
02-01-2014, 06:35 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75748&d=1379288961

It's almost time to fill-up ! 224.5 miles on one tank not bad !

Bob Denman
02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
And he's still got more than half a tankful in there! :2thumbs::bowdown:

ulflyer
02-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I go by RPM....anywhere between 3-4000 feels best to me. First to second might be lower but not by a whole lot. Also, I played with ECON yesterday and while its hard to watch the road and the green arrow, it seems that it tells you to shift around 3000, give or take a little. Didn't like it and won't be using it again.

I think most riders know how to vary speeds for break-in by leaving it in a given gear for a short period in order to get the RPM's up. Otherwise, on most roads with constant traffic its hard to vary the RPM. But in case some newer riders don't know this technique, this is what I do: I'll run mine in 3rd up to 4-6K for a mile or two and then back to 5th or 6th, then maybe down to 4th for awhile...whatever it takes to get those RPM's varied and be able to keep up with existing traffic. I dont ever over Rev it , but I don't baby it either. With about 300 mi on mine now, I'll do this to about 500 and then just ride normally. Not saying this is the best or right way, but its the way I do it. :D

tobor9
02-01-2014, 06:44 PM
The Eco mode is very helpful it does not make you shift or change the Eng./Trans. system any different, it just tells you the best time to up shift for best fuel econ. I have tried kit both ways and like using Eco. If you accelerate hard it let not give you a shift arrow,but it seems the regular points are from2500-3500RRPM with the Redline at 7k. drive it with the Eco on(hold mode 2 sec.)and learn what it likes,then you can ryde it like you stole it! Just be careful if you go back to pre-2014 RT.

maliamd
02-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Thank you everyone for your great input!!! Spyderlovers has without a doubt the wisest and smartest group of individuals!!! :cheers:

SpyderAnn01
02-02-2014, 02:42 PM
The Spyder will not let you shift to 2nd if you are going to slow. I'm not sure about the other gears but 2nd is definitely limited.

I've been shifting at 3,000 rpms and have been getting decent gas mileage.

den1953
02-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Kind of looks to me like 2500 RPM would work for most riding. 3000 would just make for more brisk accelleration. Either would be acceptable with the new 1330 motor from what I am seeing on those charts etc. The only time you'd need to wring more RPM out of it would be for on-ramps or for passing. 3500 to 4000 RPM would probably do for those times. It's not a racing motor anyhow.

Nils888
02-02-2014, 05:33 PM
I used the ECO mode yesterday for the first time. The throttle response is much slower than non ECO. And it does not let you up shift till the speed is hi enough. The fuel mileage was much better. I got a 130 miles with just over half a tank. In the non ECO mode I have been getting around 140 miles on 5 gallons. I know this is not great mileage but I have been riding around all the local canyons in Socal. I have been riding pretty hard every where I go. So I was not expecting great mileage. I do like the way the transmission works. Even shifting at 8000 rpm it shifts smooth. The only thing that bugs me is shifting from neutral to first. It clunks into gear pretty hard.

SllimG
02-02-2014, 09:28 PM

I know this is off topic, but I have to ask. This picture shows fuel level on the right and temp on the left. My 2014 RTS doesn't display fuel or temp on the display. Is there a setting I haven't found?

billybovine
02-02-2014, 10:46 PM
I know this is off topic, but I have to ask. This picture shows fuel level on the right and temp on the left. My 2014 RTS doesn't display fuel or temp on the display. Is there a setting I haven't found?

Disconnect the analog gauges and they will appear on the main display like the picture.

jrogers712
06-24-2014, 11:19 PM
I have the 2014 Limited and brought it January. one of the things I notice is the 2014 has to been at running temperature to shift from 1 to 2nd gear correctly. the 2014 has to have time for the oil to heat up and spread though out the gears. once you reach the correct temperture it will shift correctly. I think it works like a vacuum pump that's why it's needs to heat to get the oil in the oil tanks.

Bob Denman
06-25-2014, 07:34 AM
:shocked::hun:
I start mine up, back out of the garage, and am in 2nd gear before I'm out of my driveway. :thumbup:
You can upshift from 1st to 2nd, as low as 2,000 rpm! ;)

PrairieSpyder
06-25-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm happy to see this discussion. I've been having issues with fuel economy, ranging from 29 mpg to 42 mpg. I supposed it was the way I was driving and/or shifting. I've noticed while ryding with MurphyBrown that I seem to accelerate faster from a stop than she does. I may be handling the 1330 like my old 2011 and need to try not to Jack Rabbit so much.

Lamont - thanks for those guidelines. I've been shifting to 3rd and higher above 2500. I'll try these guidelines and see how it works.

3 Wheel Addict - minimum shift speed: I have noticed I have to be over 2300 rpm before it will let me shift into 6th. In my town the fastest speed limit we have is 40 mph and I have to really roll on to get to where I can use 6th.

SllimG & billybovine - I had wondered the same about the fuel guage. I want to get the JThornton 12V outlet in the fuel guage space on the dash, but I couldn't see how to get the guage on the screen. Now I know.

ABCtriker
06-28-2014, 09:54 PM
I had a 2013 Se5 and hated the high RPM shifting. We have a lot of backroads and I was running in 1st and 2nd all the time. It would run at a high rpm whine - hated it. My new 2014 se6 (2500 miles now) is SO MUCH BETTER. I run it in the ECO mod usually and shifting in the 2800 range. and I am frequently into 6th gear just over 45. It sounds happy.

on the 2013 i got 20 - 23 mpg. with the eco mode and high octane, i get 39 - 42 mpg joy riding around the country side.

ABCtriker
06-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Illinois Boy has updated his "Do's and Do Not's for new Spyder owners"
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

He has added helpful notes on shifting the 2014 RT

06-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Your situation is normal. my 2014 is the same way. You can only shift up when you hit certain rpms. It will not let you shift sooner. I also just had my serviced at 3000 miles and used Amsoil and it shifts much smoother now then it did before but the rpm shift points did not change.

zbunker
06-30-2014, 09:30 AM

I see that some are questioning what type of machine you have. From your Avatar, it looks like an RT. Now, I guess the real question is the type of transmission you have. I also have a '14 ES-6. I tend to keep an eye more on the tech than the speedo. I find the lowest RPM that the machine will allow one to shift is 2500 RPM. From 5th to 6th is a little higher closer to 3000 RPM. Now that is a nice an easy Sunday ride through the park so to speak.

But on another note. It seems to me that the '14 (that has more torque) does not have the 'top-end' capabilities that the previous two cylinder engines are able to reach. Perhaps there is someone out there that could answer that question.
Ron

ARtraveler
06-30-2014, 01:43 PM
This thread is IMO, the best discussion so far concerning shift points on the new 2014 RT's.

The best "official" information on shift points seems to be in the video presentation showing ECO Mode use. Those low shift points seem quite scary to those of us who were previously Rotax 998 pilots.

I have always shifted by RPM as opposed to speed X. That takes care of a lot of the variables like road conditions etc.

Bob and I have had an ongoing discussion on non ECO Mode use. He recommends 2000 - 2500 rpm's as the ballpark shift point. I used that for awhile, but now use 2750 - 3000 rpm's as my ballpark shift point. I just like the feel and sound of the engine a little more in the slightly higher configuration. I note that others have even suggested higher. Bottom line: I don't think there is anything wrong with any of these suggestions and you drive your 2014 the way you like. I also don't believe that at this level of operation that any 2014's are going to be harmed or be accused of being abused. The owners manual is quiet on the subject as far as I can see and only talks about ECO Mode.

My average mileage is still right at 37 mpg at either 2500 or 3000 shift points. I am holding in that mpg mode with every tank. Now 3500 miles on the tripmeter.

I did try Eco Mode and did not like it. You spend too much time looking at the dash waiting for the green arrow to pop up. That can be dangerous if you are driving in heavy traffic. I have grown very accustomed to the sound of my engine at the "magic" shift point--so don't need to monitor the tach constantly.

RE: Trip meter and Gas gauge at 225 miles and three bars of gas gone. I am guessing that someone forgot to reset the trip meter.

RE: Digital gas gauges showing--you can get that configuration on your RT-S or RT-L if you disconnect the analog gauges. I have found disconnection to be not necessary. So far my gas gauge is rock solid. I do have the gauges disconnected on our 2011 though.

Just my .02 on the subject.

Michiganspyderman
06-30-2014, 03:42 PM
This thread is IMO, the best discussion so far concerning shift points on the new 2014 RT's.

The best "official" information on shift points seems to be in the video presentation showing ECO Mode use. Those low shift points seem quite scary to those of us who were previously Rotax 998 pilots.

I have always shifted by RPM as opposed to speed X. That takes care of a lot of the variables like road conditions etc.

Bob and I have had an ongoing discussion on non ECO Mode use. He recommends 2000 - 2500 rpm's as the ballpark shift point. I used that for awhile, but now use 2750 - 3000 rpm's as my ballpark shift point. I just like the feel and sound of the engine a little more in the slightly higher configuration. I note that others have even suggested higher. Bottom line: I don't think there is anything wrong with any of these suggestions and you drive your 2014 the way you like. I also don't believe that at this level of operation that any 2014's are going to be harmed or be accused of being abused. The owners manual is quiet on the subject as far as I can see and only talks about ECO Mode.

My average mileage is still right at 37 mpg at either 2500 or 3000 shift points. I am holding in that mpg mode with every tank. Now 3500 miles on the tripmeter.

I did try Eco Mode and did not like it. You spend too much time looking at the dash waiting for the green arrow to pop up. That can be dangerous if you are driving in heavy traffic. I have grown very accustomed to the sound of my engine at the "magic" shift point--so don't need to monitor the tach constantly.

RE: Trip meter and Gas gauge at 225 miles and three bars of gas gone. I am guessing that someone forgot to reset the trip meter.

RE: Digital gas gauges showing--you can get that configuration on your RT-S or RT-L if you disconnect the analog gauges. I have found disconnection to be not necessary. So far my gas gauge is rock solid. I do have the gauges disconnected on our 2011 though.

Just my .02 on the subject.

As usual, insightful.