PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate seat question

azjerry
01-31-2014, 08:05 PM
I just put the Ultimate seat with driver back rest on the wife's ST-S. I've never had a back rest before so I'm curious. Since it just slides in and out, it seems it is really easy to steal. I certainly wouldn't park overnight on a trip and leave it in there. But do you who have one take it out and put it in the trunk if you just stop for lunch or sight seeing, etc?

happyspyder2039
01-31-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't have the seat but it would seem that maybe you could access the backrest from under the seat & put a cotter pin in the prevent that but :dontknow:

paulbrinker
01-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Your scenario actually happened to us at the Owners Event at Maggie Valley last year. Since then, anytime I am out of sight of the bike, I remove the back rest and stow it in a compartment that will hold it.

captblack
01-31-2014, 08:33 PM
I have taken mine off overnight but haven't thought about it any other time. I also have an Ultimate on my Vulcan and never pull that one off. Guess it depends on where you are at ...

DrewNJ
01-31-2014, 08:36 PM
Its like any other accessory that can be removed easily. Its a risk if you leave it, but a pain to take everything down at every stop....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

kml354
01-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Just take off and put in side bag or take into the garage takes about 30 seconds at most.

azjerry
02-01-2014, 09:51 AM
The bike is in the garage at home, just on the road is the issue. I guess it is just like other items on a bike. I always lock my helmet to the bike but a friend has always just left his on his seat and never had an issue in over 25 years. We'll just play it case by case.

I had a Sat radio on my wing for several years that I always took off everywhere we stopped. then one day I realized the radio was cheaper than the Ram mounts I always left on the bike.

Bob Denman
02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Situational awareness... :2thumbs:
Know where you are, and what's going on around you... then; act accordingly! :thumbup:

Pennyrick
02-01-2014, 11:29 AM
I have never thought about the back rest and leave it in place whenever we travel. But then, I also leave my Garmin and helmet in plain view as well.

I think that I will begin securing this stuff a bit more often on trips.

Cruzr Joe
02-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Your scenario actually happened to us at the Owners Event at Maggie Valley last year. Since then, anytime I am out of sight of the bike, I remove the back rest and stow it in a compartment that will hold it.

We talk about situational awareness, i would have thought that while we were among friends at the owners event, something like that would never happen. I remember it happening because i was there, ever get any clue as to which sorry SOB stole it??

Cruzr Joe

lwrydr
02-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I hate thieves!!!!

Bob Denman
02-01-2014, 11:45 AM
:agree: :gaah:

Larry rt
02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
I have the same seat , now you got me nervous . Was thinking , just drill a small hole and insert a cotter pin. This would deter anyone forming doing a quick removal . What do you think ?

Bob Denman
02-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Good idea! :clap: :thumbup:
Will you please let us know how this project works out? :2thumbs:

Ex-Rocket
02-01-2014, 03:28 PM

This is just wrong, especially among friends and others that enjoy riding motorcycles. Thieves are the worst low life persons.