PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Oil Leak

Dan McNally
01-31-2014, 08:05 PM
A couple friends both have 2014 RT Spyders. One of them posted this on facebook . . . anyone have any ideas/similar problems? "My brother and I are getting a oil leak on the right, bottom of the bike. I noticed after the last 120 mile ride and wiped it off. We did a 140 mile ride today and again there is oil on the plastic cover. We both have the 2014 RT Limited models. Is anybody else having this problem? Both are service departments of the Ride Now have been told and awaiting reports after they inspect the bikes. I told my service guy about the clutch cover oil leak, set screw not properly locktite, I was informed about and supposedly they fixed it."

Cruzr Joe
01-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Several got out from the factory before they discovered the leak. keep a good eye on the oil and you should be good till the shop repairs it.

Cruzr Joe

Flash Gordon
01-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Out of the first 3 2014 RT's sent from the dealer where I purchased mine, had the same problem. This solved a problem real quick for them. They knew what was wrong and made sure mine and all others were ok before they left the dealership. I am sure they also reported this to BRP hdq. No problem after that for me.

Chupaca
01-31-2014, 10:51 PM
there was a problem with the loctite on one of the bolts and needs to be addressed. The dealers are aware so if you develop a leak right hand side take it in and have them make the repair. The oil will blow back towards the rear wheel on the brake side...:lecturef_smilie:

Revving Tim
02-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks Dan for the post since I am one of the culprits with a leak. I did post this under another forum where some poor guys new Spyder broke down under 50 miles. I do have an appointment next Friday since I hit 600 miles for oil change and they are going to take a hard look where the leak is @. But the service tech, after reviewing what you just discussed about the clutch screw, thinks that is it. Will be a bit disappointed with my brothers service dept if his is the same thing and they gave him lip service and didn't really fix it like they said they did. Point is his is still leaking after the supposed fix! It is a "very minor" leak. Of course can not see how much is in the Tupperware body but after a 200 mile ride today there was only a few drops on the bottom.

Revving Tim
02-01-2014, 08:00 AM
My new 2014 RT-S SE6 leaked oil film all over cat & muffler within about 50 miles after tech re-loctited clutch housing set screw under right side.
BRP is overnighting a new designed screw, is my understanding first batch of 2014 RT's have the oil leak. My vin # 000354; built Dec 20th, 2013 Friday.
When was yours built; vin #?
I just wiped all the oil off muffler,etc. stuffed a few polish clothes underneath oil drip leak & keep riding. No oil leaking out of cloths, so good until next week when they will replace oil set screw. Awesome triple motor!!
Jim

My vin is 000172

DrewNJ
02-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Just wondering....wouldn't it make more sense to put a copper crush washer under that bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ulflyer
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
New here and first post. We bought a 2014 RTs in White last weekend. I have searched this site for a photo of the leaking fastener. Has a photo been posted to show where it is?

I did find what appears to be a drain bolt with a copper crush gasket on the underside of the right side of the engine or transmission. Not exactly certain and have not gotten a service manual yet.

The fastener I mentioned is cad plated in a golden color.

Also, while not dripping wet with oil, it was not dry either.

Again, looking for a photo if it exists.

Thanks
PK

Pretty sure what you describe is the drain bolt for the motor. Theres another on other side to drain the gear box.

Don't know where the dripping culprit is located as mine is dry
with Vin 568 (or thereabouts).

SAPD911
02-01-2014, 07:25 PM
A couple friends both have 2014 RT Spyders. One of them posted this on facebook . . . anyone have any ideas/similar problems? "My brother and I are getting a oil leak on the right, bottom of the bike. I noticed after the last 120 mile ride and wiped it off. We did a 140 mile ride today and again there is oil on the plastic cover. We both have the 2014 RT Limited models. Is anybody else having this problem? Both are service departments of the Ride Now have been told and awaiting reports after they inspect the bikes. I told my service guy about the clutch cover oil leak, set screw not properly locktite, I was informed about and supposedly they fixed it."

I just found my leak, have 35 miles , 2014 RTS. front right dripping from the plastic underneath. Nothing has fell to the floor but the plastic has oil droplets!

stevedfive
02-01-2014, 08:33 PM
I got it too. I drove 50 miles home from dealer after buying it and had to add a 1/2 qt.

SAPD911
02-01-2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/2014%20RT%20SE6%20Clutch%20Cover%20Oil%20Leak%20-%20Set%20Screw.pdf

NancysToy
02-01-2014, 08:45 PM
I just found my leak, have 35 miles , 2014 RTS. front right dripping from the plastic underneath. Nothing has fell to the floor but the plastic has oil droplets!
The plastic isn't leaking...it is just catching the leaks. You still haven't found the source.

SAPD911
02-01-2014, 08:46 PM
The plastic isn't leaking...it is just catching the leaks. You still haven't found the source.

No I haven't but it all points to the clutch screw. Taking it to the dealer Tuesday. That's what warranties are for.

http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/2014%20RT%20SE6%20Clutch%20Cover%20Oil%20Leak%20-%20Set%20Screw.pdf

Jim&Teresa
02-01-2014, 08:56 PM
:dontknow: Does anyone know approx. when this oil leak was fixed at the factory....i.e. did it happen in the first 500 VIN numbers or ???? Any reference build date and/or VIN range?

Thanks for any help here....I'll check as I go!

SAPD911
02-01-2014, 08:59 PM
:dontknow: Does anyone know approx. when this oil leak was fixed at the factory....i.e. did it happen in the first 500 VIN numbers or ???? Any reference build date and/or VIN range?

Thanks for any help here....I'll check as I go!

My vin is 570 and I have a leak.

Sarge707
02-01-2014, 09:44 PM
My Dealer told me the 08-09s have had the least problems of ALL he has seen ?:lecturef_smilie:

Cruzr Joe
02-01-2014, 10:00 PM
i have VIN # 330 and no leak, so it appears that some of the earlier releases will have the problem, but it is easily fixed by a competent dealer.

Cruzr Joe

Baby Bubba
02-01-2014, 10:08 PM
My RT Limited came in Tuesday and my dealership said they had already been notified by BRP about the problem so they made sure the problem was addressed before I took delivery. I've put about 300 miles on mine and have had no signs of leaks.

SpyderAnn01
02-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks Dan for the post since I am one of the culprits with a leak. I did post this under another forum where some poor guys new Spyder broke down under 50 miles. I do have an appointment next Friday since I hit 600 miles for oil change and they are going to take a hard look where the leak is @. But the service tech, after reviewing what you just discussed about the clutch screw, thinks that is it. Will be a bit disappointed with my brothers service dept if his is the same thing and they gave him lip service and didn't really fix it like they said they did. Point is his is still leaking after the supposed fix! It is a "very minor" leak. Of course can not see how much is in the Tupperware body but after a 200 mile ride today there was only a few drops on the bottom.

Tim, the first service isn't due until 3,000 miles

Bob Denman
02-02-2014, 08:49 AM

:shocked: :D very nice... :clap:

But of course; you ARE correct; the leak is still upstream of the puddle... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Just a .02 Back to my consumer advocacy mode. :roflblack:

Fortunately, the oil leak is just a small glitch. It needs to be addressed and fixed promptly. A $30K machine should be coming out of the dealer without a leak that they now know about. They need to get their act together. Machines should now be coming from the factory--with no leaks.

The quicker they get it solved, the quicker it will go away. BRP needs a good year with the 2014's, and I think they know it. That is in our favor. :thumbup:

spyderyderjim
02-10-2014, 09:09 AM
New here and first post. We bought a 2014 RTs in White last weekend. I have searched this site for a photo of the leaking fastener. Has a photo been posted to show where it is?

I did find what appears to be a drain bolt with a copper crush gasket on the underside of the right side of the engine or transmission. Not exactly certain and have not gotten a service manual yet.
(note:That is engine/trans oil drain plug). Here is photo of small 6mm set screw & oil drip leak under right side clutch housing. Hope this helps. Jim

The fastener I mentioned is cad plated in a golden color.

Also, while not dripping wet with oil, it was not dry either.

Again, looking for a photo if it exists.

Thanks
PK

cuznjohn
02-10-2014, 09:25 AM
it is a small problem and a quick fix, but i do agree it should not be happening to a new bike