PDA

View Full Version : New 2014 lasted 35 miles

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Picked up my new bike today. On my way home the tranny started to slip then she died stranding me on the side of the road, in the dark, in the rain. My friends came to my rescue and we added oil. Finally got it running but it still slipped an made a howling noise. It through code po83e. Oh lucky me

szohar
01-31-2014, 12:30 AM
Make sure to check the oil level when the engine is in running temperature.

If oil is low the transmission can give you those signs.

I hope it can be fixed promptly.

crazyspyder
01-31-2014, 12:33 AM
hope you get it figured out, 2014...:yikes:.man that's just not right:sour: BRP gremlins at work:roflblack:

Chupaca
01-31-2014, 12:36 AM
haven't got that code handy..may be new for this year. Oil can cause tranny problems but you said you added oil and got her going again. Sadly looks like it need to go back and be set up properly...hope it is a simple fix and nothing major was damaged..:gaah:

Jeriatric
01-31-2014, 01:25 AM
Darn! Feel for ya man. Heck of a thing to have happen. Major oil leak? Failed to check oil during set up? Can't even imagine how disappointed you must be.

Did it have any post set up mileage on it?

So sorry :(

Keep us posted.

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 01:34 AM
that really sucks, hope it is a minor issue

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 04:25 AM
are you sure that is the code because i can't find it either

SNOOPY
01-31-2014, 08:00 AM
:gaah:

Jim&Teresa
01-31-2014, 08:18 AM
:yikes::yikes: Wow, that's a bummer.....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead :

Anyways, wishing you the best and hope things work out for you. Too bad this happened to you...:gaah:

Please give us an update once you're back on the road with your Spyder......thanks. :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
01-31-2014, 08:57 AM
It sounds as if the dealer needs to be jacked-up a bit. :gaah:
Their pre-delivery checklist has some holes in it... :shocked:

Cruzr Joe
01-31-2014, 08:59 AM

:agree:, back to the dealer PRONTO

Cruzr Joe

Marker
01-31-2014, 09:16 AM

:agree::agree:

StanProff
01-31-2014, 09:28 AM

WHAT check list? It seems that there are a few dealers out there that are lucky to get them out the door with the front wheels on them :dontknow:.
Let me say that I am NOT against dealers, there are some very good ones out there including mine. It just seems that a few are just a few fries short of a happy meal!

RBS66
01-31-2014, 09:57 AM
WOW sorry to hear this. I hope you get it all straighten out. Must of been a real nightmare and pissed you off. In the dark in the rain what a BUMMER.

stevedfive
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM
When I got mine home, I checked the oil. It was a half qt low.

Pirate looks at --
01-31-2014, 10:20 AM
....you mean it rained....in Washington? That sucks!:banghead: Seriously I hope it is a simple as the dealer didn't fill the oil properly....but if it is....NEW DEALER time!

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 10:34 AM
i would have the dealer come and pick the bike up because you never know if you could do damage riding it there

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
I am calling as soon as they open today to have them come and get it. I am jinxed it seemed, my 2011 was plagued with problems and even now it still throws all kinds of bogus codes.

Standing in the dark, on the side of the road in the rain I was whipped. It is a busy road and it took all I had to push it up the hill and into the corner gas station. I had back surgery a year ago and my hip needs a replacement so this really killed me but I dodged all the cars that would not even slow down and got it up the slopping drive way and out of harms way. I called a good friend (fellow Spyder Rider) that lives not to far away and he (Don) and his wife came out in the rain to help me out. It was stuck in 2nd gear as well so I figured even if it was low oil it would not start but after 1/2 it did start. I let it idle for 10 minutes and the odd sound went away but just in case my step son came with a trailer and followed me home.

About 1 mile down the road it started to howl and slip again so I pulled over and put the last of the oil in. This seemed to stop the slipping the howl remained but I got it home. Good chance it is an oil issue, no oil light came on and it is working during start up but as it has been said, it may be down enough to effect the tranny. My concern is how much damage would be done during a 41 mile ride.

If I understand correctly I have 72hrs to reject a deal in WA state so how they respond will decide the fate of the "orange beast" as my wife called it last night, lol...

So....my favorite song comes to mind: I'm not afraid of dying and I don't really care, if peace you find in dying then let the time be near" lol Adios Amegos

Bob Ledford
01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
The real kicks in the chops is while it's broken within the first 24 hours of delivery. His faith in the product is badly shaken up to the point of not being able to say " it's fantastic!" If anything it serves to make him super aware of anything not termed as normal feeling, sounding or looking. The selling dealer just lost a valuable asset called a satisfied buyer too.

The rule of ten will prevail in a situation like this! One tells one who in turn tells ten who in turn tell ten who repeat it to ten more and you got this giant snowball rolling down hill at you!

It's a sorry deal for everyone involved and it's to late to stop the snowball now!!!

Lemon Law fodder?

Lamonster
01-31-2014, 10:42 AM
I am really sorry to hear this and I've pasted this post along to someone who could help and was told they are on it. Part of the PDI is checking the oil level so I guess this may have been missed or maybe your unit was one of the ones that had a leak. Either way I feel bad for you and I hope this gets resolved quickly.

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone for you support. My dealer always treats me fair so it is for this reason I am reserving my response until I have spoken with them.

To answer the question about the precheck, no, about 2/10ths of a mile. In their favor they thought they were doing me a favor, they got the box around 10 am and had waiting for me at 4:30.

Hopefully it gets better for power as well, I was not impressed overall. Yes it pulls better but I tried accelerating in 5th on the freeway at 60 mph, it went about the same way my 2011 was. And of course it was pouring most of the way so I could not safely try it out. The head lights suck so in the dark, in the rain and soaked to the skin wearing my rainproof coat.... uh huh, rain proof, lol, it was a real challenge staying between the lines.

Thanks for stepping in Lamont, I appreciate your help and I will keep you all posted.

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 10:46 AM
I am really sorry to hear this and I've pasted this post along to someone who could help and was told they are on it. Part of the PDI is checking the oil level so I guess this may have been missed or maybe your unit was one of the ones that had a leak. Either way I feel bad for you and I hope this gets resolved quickly.

lamont did you ever hear of the code his bike showed and happy birthday buddy

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 10:56 AM
I may have not read the code right, it was in the rain and very dark and my eyes are going due to diabetes so small print is hard at the best of times, it definitely was PO8 but could not write it down in the wet. I am sure it is stored in the ecm but it cleared out when I got home.

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
i am diabetic also i feel for you. and after two bikes with problems i would be just disgusted

CentralCoastCA
01-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Glad you made it home safe and had plenty of help.

Bob Denman
01-31-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgNfC9dLHIA

Here's to hoping that all can be made right quickly and completely! :2thumbs:

Lifestyles HondaCanAm
01-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Sorry about your bad experience, we are on our way to pick it up right now.

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Well my dealer and I just got off the phone and they are sending someone to pick up the bike right away. He was heart sick about it and is jumping right on it. They have always been great to deal with (Life Styles Honda in Mt. Vernon, a sponsor as well). Now that I am safe, dry and warm I am in better spirits and will let things sort themselves out. Thanks again for you support and I will let you know what we find out.

Take care all,

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Speak of the devil, here they are! Thanks again for jumping right on it Brian and crew :-) Crap happens, what matters is how you wipe your shoes off, lol.

Sorry about your bad experience, we are on our way to pick it up right now.

Jeriatric
01-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Without doubt this is hitting them just as hard as it hit you. Hang in there.

Bob Denman
01-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Glad to hear that they're on it for you! :thumbup:
Good Luck! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_107v.gif

BajaRon
01-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Stuff happens. May have been dealer prep error in the oil level check, may be a faulty component in the Spyder. The only thing we can be sure of at this point is that something is wrong and the dealer is stepping up to the plate.

All's well that ends well. May this be the worst of it and you get smooth sailing from here on out.

I'm sure we're all very interested in A) what the problem turns out to be and B) how your dealer handles it.

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 01:57 PM
when it comes to things like this, i would tell the dealer i don't want that bike and for him to get me a new one. it would be a bad omen to me to have the first problem on the way home and to have something fixed when you just took the bike out the door. i am glad the dealer is working with you BUT it would make me uncomfortable owning that bike. don't want to put negative thoughts in your head but it is just the way i am

Cruzr Joe
01-31-2014, 02:14 PM
when it comes to things like this, i would tell the dealer i don't want that bike and for him to get me a new one. it would be a bad omen to me to have the first problem on the way home and to have something fixed when you just took the bike out the door. i am glad the dealer is working with you BUT it would make me uncomfortable owning that bike. don't want to put negative thoughts in your head but it is just the way i am

I am happy that the Dealer let everyone know who he is and that he is on top of this, If he checks the bike out and corrects any problem, i would be OK with taking it back home.

Cruzr Joe

ARtraveler
01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Not much to add that has not already been said. Stuff happens. The dealer is doing a good job on getting the problem solved. Keep us posted on the outcome. :popcorn::popcorn:

fastfraser
01-31-2014, 02:27 PM
Sorry you are having trouble with the 2014.:gaah: Please keep us posted as to the fix - problem .

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Yes, the bike was picked up at 11:00 and is on it's way back to my dealer in a clean full enclosed trailer. I am very happy with the prompt service and I am sure they will do the right thing as far as repairs. I will keep you posted as this moves along.

Thanks again to Don and his wife for coming down in the dark/rain and cold to help me out. He even brought me dry gloves and gave me a flashlight! Contrary to popular opinion he really is a great guy, lol.......

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 02:46 PM
I am happy that the Dealer let everyone know who he is and that he is on top of this, If he checks the bike out and corrects any problem, i would be OK with taking it back home.

Cruzr Joe

i JUST HAVE STUPIDSTIIONS

spydaman60
01-31-2014, 03:12 PM
I am calling as soon as they open today to have them come and get it. I am jinxed it seemed, my 2011 was plagued with problems and even now it still throws all kinds of bogus codes.

Standing in the dark, on the side of the road in the rain I was whipped. It is a busy road and it took all I had to push it up the hill and into the corner gas station. I had back surgery a year ago and my hip needs a replacement so this really killed me but I dodged all the cars that would not even slow down and got it up the slopping drive way and out of harms way. I called a good friend (fellow Spyder Rider) that lives not to far away and he (Don) and his wife came out in the rain to help me out. It was stuck in 2nd gear as well so I figured even if it was low oil it would not start but after 1/2 it did start. I let it idle for 10 minutes and the odd sound went away but just in case my step son came with a trailer and followed me home.

About 1 mile down the road it started to howl and slip again so I pulled over and put the last of the oil in. This seemed to stop the slipping the howl remained but I got it home. Good chance it is an oil issue, no oil light came on and it is working during start up but as it has been said, it may be down enough to effect the tranny. My concern is how much damage would be done during a 41 mile ride.

If I understand correctly I have 72hrs to reject a deal in WA state so how they respond will decide the fate of the "orange beast" as my wife called it last night, lol...

So....my favorite song comes to mind: I'm not afraid of dying and I don't really care, if peace you find in dying then let the time be near" lol Adios Amegos THOSE LYRICES CAME FROM BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS! HOW APPROPRIATE. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL THREE THAT NIGHT. GOOD LUCK WITH THE OUTCOME. KEEP US POSTED!!!:thumbup:

bluestratos
01-31-2014, 04:14 PM
THOSE LYRICES CAME FROM BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS! HOW APPROPRIATE. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL THREE THAT NIGHT. GOOD LUCK WITH THE OUTCOME. KEEP US POSTED!!!:thumbup:

You got it!

Magdave
01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
THOSE LYRICES CAME FROM BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS! HOW APPROPRIATE. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL THREE THAT NIGHT. GOOD LUCK WITH THE OUTCOME. KEEP US POSTED!!!:thumbup:
:lecturef_smilie:
And When I Die" was written by Laura Nyro. This was one of the first songs written by Laura Nyro, who was 17 when she wrote it. The song was first recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary in 1966. Nyro included it on her first album in 1967 - More Than A New Discovery. Blood, Sweat & Tears covered it in 1969, and their version was the hit. :thumbup:

cuznjohn
01-31-2014, 04:31 PM
ANY WORD YET, how long do you think they will keep the bike

Bob Denman
01-31-2014, 06:16 PM
:lecturef_smilie:
And When I Die" was written by Laura Nyro. This was one of the first songs written by Laura Nyro, who was 17 when she wrote it. The song was first recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary in 1966. Nyro included it on her first album in 1967 - More Than A New Discovery. Blood, Sweat & Tears covered it in 1969, and their version was the hit. :thumbup:
Yup!
But it's a little bit like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_j_dzkaVE
Everybody will argue that it's a Rod Stewart song; it isn't!
It was released by Jeff Beck... :bowdown:

One heckuva a GREAT guitarist! :thumbup:

Who makes the song popular will be best-known for it... and finding out the ultimate truth behind that; can be "interesting"... :shocked:

Magdave
01-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Seldom does a song go down in history as not only one of the best popular songs ever written, but as a song that is so universal in composition and message that it can be effectively covered by almost anyone. But that’s the case with “People Get Ready,” recorded in 1965 by The Impressions and written by the group’s lead singer, Curtis Mayfield. Nearly half a century later the song continues to be recorded and performed by a variety of acts in several genres.
“People Get Ready” is a song about boarding a train for the Christian afterlife without ever actually mentioning the names God or Jesus, and feels like a song that wasn’t intentionally crafted, but was composed during a period of inspiration. From the album of the same name, “People Get Ready” was released during a time of civil unrest in America, when the country was in turmoil over race relations and the Vietnam War just as Mayfield was beginning to infuse his work with social commentary.

http://youtu.be/2nH3fKH10oM

NancysToy
01-31-2014, 07:17 PM
The generic OBD translation for P083e has to do with the transmission fluid pressure sensor. So sorry to hear about this major problem. I can understand why you would look into backing out of the deal. Nobody wants to start this way. You deserve better.

stewartj239
01-31-2014, 08:31 PM
I am jinxed it seemed, my 2011 was plagued with problems and even now it still throws all kinds of bogus codes.

I remember your thread regarding the 2011 issues. Unbelievable that this is happening to you again. At least your dealer is on top of it and beyond a doubt, this will be fixed with no expense to you. I think the worst is behind you. Get it fixed and get riding.

Flash Gordon
01-31-2014, 09:22 PM
:agree:

Highwayman2013
02-01-2014, 05:37 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;752757]Yup!
But it's a little bit like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_j_dzkaVE
Everybody will argue that it's a Rod Stewart song; it isn't!
It was released by Jeff Beck... :bowdown:

One heckuva a GREAT guitarist! :thumbup:

Who makes the song popular will be best-known for it... and finding out the ultimate truth behind that; can be "interesting"... :shocked:[/QUO
Curtis Mayfield

unclegeezer
02-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Sorry for your bad luck:gaah:

unclegeezer
02-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Sorry for your bad luck:gaah:

Revving Tim
02-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your breakdown. Just a heads up to all you 2014 owners. My brother and I received our Spyders a little over a week ago and have detected a small oil leak coming out the right front bottom. Brother had a possible leak source, identified by Can Am about a bolt in the clutch housing, looked @ and supposedly dealt with by his dealer. I have a different dealer and since I already have 600 miles on the Spyder they are going to change fluids next week and try to identify leak source. Will keep you informed. Interesting both machines, which came in on the same shipment, have identical leaks in same place. Would like to figure out how to post the notice from Can Am about possible leak with clutch bolt. Otherwise I could type it in.

ThreeWheels
02-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Another reason to wait until 2015.

Bob Denman
02-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Why? :dontknow:
This was an issue with the "human" side of the equation...
Will anybody be smarter next year??? :shocked:

3 Wheel Addict
02-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Yes! They will find a way to machine that cover eliminating that "screw plug" completely and removing that source of the leak. All new things come with new problems.

cuznjohn
02-01-2014, 12:18 PM
we all know that with a new bike or car somethings can go wrong, so i don't think that next year will be any different unless this problem turns out to be like the heat problems on the 13's than there would be changes. if the problem he is having is minor and his transmission was not damaged than it could be fixed, i still wouldn't want the bike back but that is his choice. it is a shame that BRP is in canada and that they don't have service people here in the states from a factory than can go see what happened to his bike. yes we have trained service people but it would be better if a service person from the factory could look at the problem and work with the service person at the dealer to fix the problem rather do it over a phone. we have no heard what is going on with the bike or i missed it but i hope it gets fixed for him

bruiser
02-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Best thing to do here is wait until the dealer has a chance to see what is wrong. And correct it if they can.

SAPD911
02-01-2014, 08:06 PM
I also have an oil leak at 35 miles, 14 RTS. They say its the clutch screw or something. Was about to go for a ride but can't now and now I am at the flipping mercy of the service dept!

jcthorne
02-02-2014, 09:20 AM
I also have an oil leak at 35 miles, 14 RTS. They say its the clutch screw or something. Was about to go for a ride but can't now and now I am at the flipping mercy of the service dept!

No reason not to ride the bike because of a small oil drip. Just check the oil level and go.

Bob Denman
02-02-2014, 09:23 AM
:agree: Keep the situation under close scrutiny, and ride it anywy! :thumbup:
From what BikerDoc has reported with his; the 1330s don't seem to burn any oil... Whereas the Vee-Twins were always being topped-off... :shocked:

cuznjohn
02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
still no word on what the dealer found on his bike, not a good sign

Jeriatric
02-02-2014, 09:46 AM
If the cause was not blatantly obvious. A thorough investigation takes time. The results of which. We may never really know.

bluestratos
02-02-2014, 06:43 PM
I dropped in on Saturday, BRP's people and the mechanic have been on it, they sent BRP all the codes (apparently there were a lot) and BRP has the solution although I do not know precisely what they found they are removing parts from the assembly line to send to them out by Tuesday for expedited repairs. This may not have anything to do with dealer prep but I will let you know for sure once they make the repairs. I don't mind them making the repairs and I really appreciate how they (BRP and the Dealer ) have responded. Some one has to ride the 14's so the 15's can be trouble free, lol.

I just seem to have been born on the wrong day, when I bought my 2011 it lasted just 109 miles before it broke down. Following that I had to tow it in twice and was able to drive it back in for a multitude of different issues. Even today, the ECM seems to be far to touchy as it threw all kind of codes. All in all it has given me orange screens a good 100 times. On the flip side, most of my riding buddies have had very little or no complaints with their rides

So, keep you posted :D

still no word on what the dealer found on his bike, not a good sign

cuznjohn
02-02-2014, 06:54 PM
I dropped in on Saturday, BRP's people and the mechanic have been on it, they sent BRP all the codes (apparently there were a lot) and BRP has the solution although I do not know precisely what they found they are removing parts from the assembly line to send to them out by Tuesday for expedited repairs. This may not have anything to do with dealer prep but I will let you know for sure once they make the repairs. I don't mind them making the repairs and I really appreciate how they (BRP and the Dealer ) have responded. Some one has to ride the 14's so the 15's can be trouble free, lol.

I just seem to have been born on the wrong day, when I bought my 2011 it lasted just 109 miles before it broke down. Following that I had to two it in twice and was able to drive it back in for a multitude of different issues. Even today, the ECM seems to be far to touchy as it threw all kind of codes. All in all it has given me orange screens a good 100 times.

your taking it better than i would. so good luck with whatever they are doing

SAPD911
02-02-2014, 07:44 PM
The real kicks in the chops is while it's broken within the first 24 hours of delivery. His faith in the product is badly shaken up to the point of not being able to say " it's fantastic!" If anything it serves to make him super aware of anything not termed as normal feeling, sounding or looking. The selling dealer just lost a valuable asset called a satisfied buyer too.

The rule of ten will prevail in a situation like this! One tells one who in turn tells ten who in turn tell ten who repeat it to ten more and you got this giant snowball rolling down hill at you!

It's a sorry deal for everyone involved and it's to late to stop the snowball now!!!

Lemon Law fodder?

yep

SAPD911
02-02-2014, 07:47 PM
No reason not to ride the bike because of a small oil drip. Just check the oil level and go.

Uhm no, gonna wait till Tuesday and see what the dealer has to say!

GRIPMAN
02-02-2014, 08:16 PM

I just seem to have been born on the wrong day, when I bought my 2011 it lasted just 109 miles before it broke down. Following that I had to two it in twice and was able to drive it back in for a multitude of different issues. Even today, the ECM seems to be far to touchy as it threw all kind of codes. All in all it has given me orange screens a good 100 times.

Randy,
Hope you get an early fix and back to riding.
Joseph

bluestratos
02-04-2014, 02:51 PM
I got a call from my dealer today (they are closed on Sundays and Mondays) and I was put on the line with the Tech from BRP that flew out and arrived this morning at their dealership (I am on the west coast north of Seattle). We spoke about what I heard and felt and he is personally working on the tranny to replace parts and to diagnose what he discovers from the parts that are being removed. These are being sent back to the factory for further testing. The oil level was fine and actually showed about 3/4ers of a liter high which is what I had added so dealer prep was not the issue :D. I should hear back later today on what they discovered but it is a great to have the manufacturer step up like this and the commitment to finding the problem so others do not have a similar issue.

Assuming we get this this figured out soon I am looking forward to taking delivery... again...lol of my new toy and putting some miles on.

Thank you Lifestyles Honda and BRP for some great customer service.

Regards,

Randy

Jeriatric
02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Randy,

Thanks for the update.

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 03:15 PM
:agree: It sure seems as if the "A-Team" has been brought in on this one! Here's to hoping for a complete rcovery! :cheers:
...And then: lots of miles and smiles!! :D

SAPD911
02-04-2014, 03:15 PM
http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/2014%20RT%20SE6%20Clutch%20Cover%20Oil%20Leak%20-%20Set%20Screw.pdf

Well now the confusion sets in the dealer and by me. Read the above bulletin and page 1 says to use Loctite 7649. However when you scroll down to page 4, its says to use Loctite 4976, scroll down some more and it says to use 4679 then again says 4976.

Cal BRP and its a typo on their part, 7649 is the one you need!

ulflyer
02-04-2014, 03:57 PM
http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/2014%20RT%20SE6%20Clutch%20Cover%20Oil%20Leak%20-%20Set%20Screw.pdf

Well now the confusion sets in the dealer and by me. Read the above bulletin and page 1 says to use Loctite 7649. However when you scroll down to page 4, its says to use Loctite 4976, scroll down some more and it says to use 4679 then again says 4976.

Cal BRP and its a typo on their part, 7649 is the on you need!

They said the 7649 PRIMER is absolutely necessary and then to use blue 243 and let it "set up" for 5 min. Blue stuff I've used seemed to take longer than that. Oh well, their nickle!

Also, never knew the blue stuff could be used as a sealer; thought it was just a medium hardener to keep bolts from coming loose.

So far, with 350 miles on mine ( 20 Dec 13 build date), the OEM stuff is still holding. The DRIP hadn't surfaced when I got mine. Have there been more than two or three DRIPS so far?

MarkLawson
02-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I got a call from my dealer today (they are closed on Sundays and Mondays) and I was put on the line with the Tech from BRP that flew out and arrived this morning at their dealership (I am on the west coast north of Seattle). We spoke about what I heard and felt and he is personally working on the tranny to replace parts and to diagnose what he discovers from the parts that are being removed. These are being sent back to the factory for further testing. The oil level was fine and actually showed about 3/4ers of a liter high which is what I had added so dealer prep was not the issue :D. I should hear back later today on what they discovered but it is a great to have the manufacturer step up like this and the commitment to finding the problem so others do not have a similar issue.

Assuming we get this this figured out soon I am looking forward to taking delivery... again...lol of my new toy and putting some miles on.

Regards,

Randy

Should we assume you decided NOT to back out of the deal within 72 hours of purchase?

SAPD911
02-04-2014, 04:17 PM
They said the 7649 PRIMER is absolutely necessary and then to use blue 243 and let it "set up" for 5 min. Blue stuff I've used seemed to take longer than that. Oh well, their nickle!

Also, never knew the blue stuff could be used as a sealer; thought it was just a medium hardener to keep bolts from coming loose.

So far, with 350 miles on mine ( 20 Dec 13 build date), the OEM stuff is still holding. The DRIP hadn't surfaced when I got mine. Have there been more than two or three DRIPS so far?

I only saw two drips. Oh well, not gonna mess with it, its sitting in the dealers back lot and not in my garage. Probably gonna be dirty when I pick it up in 7-10 days. (awaiting loctite to be ordered) Can you tell I'm in a pissed off mood!

cuznjohn
02-04-2014, 04:18 PM

Regards,

Randy

they are in panic mode right now, if they find out that parts are failing that will be very bad for them. glad they have flown in a tech but this could be bad for all 14 owners now. i also wonder if they will stop shipping till they find out what the problem is

Jeriatric
02-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Calm down cuzn. It's more likely to be a one off. After all, It happened in the first few miles and there are numerous units in operation showing no signs of trouble.

they are in panic mode right now, if they find out that parts are failing that will be very bad for them. glad they have flown in a tech but this could be bad for all 14 owners now. i also wonder if they will stop shipping till they find out what the problem is

cuznjohn
02-04-2014, 04:36 PM
i am the type of person that looks for the bad in everything i see. i don't want to put a negative spin on this but if parts are going back to see why they failed than there has to be a question as to how many other ones will also.

Jeriatric
02-04-2014, 04:42 PM
i am the type of person that looks for the bad in everything i see. i don't want to put a negative spin on this but if parts are going back to see why they failed than there has to be a question as to how many other ones will also.

Not really. They are reacting quite normally considering it's pretty much an all new design.

NetJunkie
02-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Over reaction. They want to see why something failed. Doesn't mean they have a problem..just means they want to know why this one failed, why it wasn't caught, and how they can make sure that doesn't happen again. This is a good thing and common for manufacturers to do when a new product launches like this.

cuznjohn
02-04-2014, 04:45 PM
only time will tell and like you said i hope it's a one of a kind thing

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 06:11 PM
John,
Hang in there Bro'... :shocked:
Excessive worrying will cause you to get wrinkles! :D

cuznjohn
02-04-2014, 06:14 PM
my face has worry lines on it for years now. but i hope it is one of a kind like i said b4.

3 Wheel Addict
02-04-2014, 06:21 PM
I don't want any problems on the 14's because they need to concentrate on fixing my 13! Any tech that is worrying about a 14 is not getting anything done for my 13....:bowdown::bowdown:

Bob Denman
02-04-2014, 06:26 PM
my face has worry lines on it for years now. but i hope it is one of a kind like i said b4.
I wasn't talking about wrinkles on your face!! :shocked: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack: :joke::joke::joke: :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
02-04-2014, 06:44 PM

Cal BRP and its a typo on their part, 7649 is the one you need!

Not a good idea to have a dyslexic person type your service bulletins. :roflblack:

cuznjohn
02-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I wasn't talking about wrinkles on your face!! :shocked: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack: :joke::joke::joke: :2thumbs:

how would you feel if this was your bike bob.

bluestratos
02-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Well I think we should wait and see, I may have a unique issue but if I do not at least they have something to work with. I was told that they did a lot of testing on this model before it was released. I understand this may be upsetting for anyone with, or about to buy a 14 and I am sorry if I have caused anyone concern.

cuznjohn
02-04-2014, 06:54 PM
we worry for you so don't feel bad for us

Bob Ledford
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
If you don't to wait you should be available from your local auto parts store, wearing supplier or truck shop.

Dan_Ashley
02-04-2014, 10:38 PM
No it really does not mean that. It only means that the clerk who took the call at BRP didn't have anything in her binder of authorized responses for this particular issue. A rather common call center strategy is to ask for the physical parts so a good and authorized response can be made in the future. This is not a big deal. This IS a sign that BRP's management is doing things the right way.

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 08:26 AM

And John,
I'm STILL the eternal optimist... :D :thumbup: nojoke

Cruzr Joe
02-05-2014, 09:05 AM
John

Go sit down have a cup of coffee and chill out.

Cruzr Joe

cuznjohn
02-05-2014, 09:13 AM
i am and also watching the ice storm we are getting right now

Cruzr Joe
02-05-2014, 09:16 AM
i am and also watching the ice storm we are getting right now

John

Is there anything that you don't worry about??

Stress is the biggest factor in heart attacks, think of something positive, Children, grandchildren, the cute blonde up the street, anything on the positive side will make your day more enjoyable and a lot less stressful.:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

Lamonster
02-05-2014, 09:20 AM
John

Is there anything that you don't worry about??

Stress is the biggest factor in heart attacks, think of something positive, Children, grandchildren, the cute blonde up the street, anything on the positive side will make your day more enjoyable and a lot less stressful.:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

:thumbup::roflblack:

http://youtu.be/Xyh-JpWdGmQ

cuznjohn
02-05-2014, 09:33 AM
after 35 years of working in construction and most of them being a foreman in some capacity, i have to say NO to that question. this is something that can be fixed, BUT! would i want a brand new FIXED bike. NOPE!!!. i went through the new york lemon law twice and won both cases. 1988 with a ford bronco and 1990 with a jeep wagoner, the bronco with oil leaks and the jeep with water leaking into the inside rear of the car. call me paranoid but people will walk all over you if you let them, and i will not let them. right now i am happy with my bike because of the work i did, but i am not riding it right now. but if the heat fix does not work on it once i do start riding i will most likely start to be a complainer again. it has to be good to look at a problem with a new bike and say they will fix it.so best of luck to him and i really hope all works out and that this is not a problem with all the 14's out there.

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 09:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

cuznjohn
02-05-2014, 09:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

you and Lamont have got me pegged right on the money.

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 10:01 AM
If The Boss is posting video clips from movies; does that mean that I'm wearing-off on him? :shocked: :yikes:

(But, that was a VERY good clip! :thumbup:)

Cruzr Joe
02-05-2014, 10:12 AM
If The Boss is posting video clips from movies; does that mean that I'm wearing-off on him? :shocked: :yikes:

(But, that was a VERY good clip! :thumbup:)

I thought maybe he just stepped in because you were ........................... indisposed??

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Well; I was shovelling some snow outside... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_5.gif

Gray Ghost
02-05-2014, 02:09 PM
John,
Just for grins I looked up the New York Lemon Law. "

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.

Also found that it doesn't cover motorcycles (a lot of states don't).

So just because it gave him an issue right off the showroom floor doesn't mean, at least in NY, that the manufacturer is obligated to replace the vehicle until they have failed to remedy the situation over a period of time.

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 02:23 PM
By any chance; did you check the State of Washington?
(Where the OP resides...)

cuznjohn
02-05-2014, 03:10 PM
John,
Just for grins I looked up the New York Lemon Law. "

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.

Also found that it doesn't cover motorcycles (a lot of states don't).

So just because it gave him an issue right off the showroom floor doesn't mean, at least in NY, that the manufacturer is obligated to replace the vehicle until they have failed to remedy the situation over a period of time.

http://lemonjustice.com/lemon-law/NY_Motorcycle_lemon_law.php

By any chance; did you check the State of Washington?
(Where the OP resides...)

http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles/Home/Safeguarding_Consumers/Lemon_Law/General_Lemon_Law/Booklet_Vehicle_%20Print_Format_REVISED_06-14-09.pdf

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks, John! :clap:
Glancing briefly at it; the Spyder would be covered...
The engine displacement exceeds 750cc... motorcycles with smaller engines aren't covered.

cuznjohn
02-05-2014, 03:26 PM
i just realized this post has over 5 thousand views on here, anyone know what has had the most views on this forum

Jeriatric
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
i just realized this post has over 5 thousand views on here, anyone know what has had the most views on this forum

34K - There may be higher.
:dontknow:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3135075

cuznjohn
02-05-2014, 03:56 PM
sorry not found

ARtraveler
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
34K - There may be higher.
:dontknow:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3135075

Yazz's long trip across the US and up to Alaska was one of the most read threads that I can remember.

cuznjohn
02-05-2014, 05:32 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60070-Spyderfest-Hotel-info-and-more-about-The-Next-Legacy 14 thousand plus views

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59108-Share-your-story-with-BRP 6,090 views

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50504-Texas-Memorial-Weekend-BBQ 5,334 views

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?47826-Spyderfest-1-4-mile-drag-race 8,727 views

so there has been quite a few other high post views

ARtraveler
02-05-2014, 05:35 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60070-Spyderfest-Hotel-info-and-more-about-The-Next-Legacy 14 thousand plus views

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59108-Share-your-story-with-BRP 6,090 views

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50504-Texas-Memorial-Weekend-BBQ 5,334 views

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?47826-Spyderfest-1-4-mile-drag-race 8,727 views

so there has been quite a few other high post views

To Alaska and Back--Yazz's trip. 38,404 views

Lamonster
02-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Over 123,000 views http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34104-Lamonster-RTW-Project-RT-Highway-Brackets :doorag:

ARtraveler
02-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Over 123,000 views http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34104-Lamonster-RTW-Project-RT-Highway-Brackets :doorag:

You got me on that one. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-05-2014, 06:03 PM
:shocked: 123,000... :bowdown:

bluestratos
02-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Hey Joe... I am in construction as well!!! I am a project manager and estimator, and, to fill the cracks I am the company safety director. I don't let it get to me any more but I used to be stressed to the max. It took 42 years to figure that out, lol.....

Ok.. now the good news..... She is back in my garage and all fixed up they say. The Tech finished it up last night and they delivered this afternoon. I have not ridden it so I have to reserve judgment until the weather warms up (nor'easter bowing through so a bit nippy, lol).
He found a torn O ring that separates the tranny reservoir from the engine reservoir (the new high tech drain plug) and for good measure he replace the entire clutch, clutch cover and the hydraulic actuators (I think that is what he said).

The dealer prepped it again and had it brought to my house in their covered trailer designed for this use (and other of course).

While it may be premature, I sure want to thank BRP, my dealer and Lamont for assistance. Many thanks for all the help in getting my toy back on the road. Also my special thanks to Don and his better half for coming to my rescue and cheering my up :-). My step son also deserves mention as he immediately came to get me with a trailer. (a plug for him as well, he just got his insurance license and he has cut our yearly cost by $400 and increased our coverage well beyond what we had before including a special rider that will cover all the policies incase we exceed any one maximum should the worst happen). If any one wants a quote I can get his info to you and be sure you say my name, he promised me he could do a bit better for friends and family.

Well hopefully this is the end of my adventure and I will be seeing all my good buddies as soon as the weather improves or I get my electric gear hooked up again, which ever comes first lol.

Randy

Nils888
02-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Great to hear. Keep us posted.:clap:

Rd_Runner
02-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Hey Joe... I am in construction as well!!! I am a project manager and estimator, and, to fill the cracks I am the company safety director. I don't let it get to me any more but I used to be stressed to the max. It took 42 years to figure that out, lol.....

Ok.. now the good news..... She is back in my garage and all fixed up they say. The Tech finished it up last night and they delivered this afternoon. I have not ridden it so I have to reserve judgment until the weather warms up (nor'easter bowing through so a bit nippy, lol).
He found a torn O ring that separates the tranny reservoir from the engine reservoir (the new high tech drain plug) and for good measure he replace the entire clutch, clutch cover and the hydraulic actuators (I think that is what he said).

The dealer prepped it again and had it brought to my house in their covered trailer designed for this use (and other of course).

While it may be premature, I sure want to thank BRP, my dealer and Lamont for assistance. Many thanks for all the help in getting my toy back on the road. Also my special thanks to Don and his better half for coming to my rescue and cheering my up :-). My step son also deserves mention as he immediately came to get me with a trailer. (a plug for him as well, he just got his insurance license and he has cut our yearly cost by $400 and increased our coverage well beyond what we had before including a special rider that will cover all the policies incase we exceed any one maximum should the worst happen). If any one wants a quote I can get his info to you and be sure you say my name, he promised me he could do a bit better for friends and family.

Well hopefully this is the end of my adventure and I will be seeing all my good buddies as soon as the weather improves or I get my electric gear hooked up again, which ever comes first lol.

Randy

Randy I wish the best of luck. :yes:It sounds like your dealer made a really good attempt to make good on your bike. I hope you get lots of good uneventful miles out your 2014.

- Mike

IntoTheWind
02-06-2014, 12:13 AM
I hope the dealers and BRP are reviewing all the issues of late with their New 2014 models. One can only hope they step up to the plate and resolve the issues in a timely manner for all concern. Good luck...

Vrooom
02-06-2014, 01:05 AM
Why was the O ring torn in brand new spyder?

stevedfive
02-06-2014, 02:14 AM
Great, good for you. :thumbup:

murphybrown
02-06-2014, 03:10 AM

Randy

Hi Randy..first awesome the kind of help you got from Lamont, BRP and your dealer :thumbup:...and yep just saw your temps...brrrrr, but if that is to warm for you :roflblack:come on over to my side of the state. I am 2 right now :yikes:. Yes, I called your son and he came back with best rate :thumbup: for new Spyder and I gave him info for the rest of my insurance needs...I would sure encourage folks to give him a call and at least let him quote. Be sure and keep us posted when you finally "venture" out with your new cognac (Spyder that is). :yes:

RBS66
02-06-2014, 05:46 AM
Glad to hear they got you fixed up. Hope you have lots of enjoyable trouble-free miles on your new bike.

Jeriatric
02-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Vrooom;755441]Why was the O ring torn in brand new spyder?

While It should not happen. It can and it did. Chock/chalk it up to human error.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Glad to hear that the, "light at the end of the tunnel", is getting brighter! :thumbup:

bluestratos
02-06-2014, 10:18 AM
I am thinking they will let me know what they find out but it may have been a 1 in million thing. I will keep you all posted.

Good news about your insurance Karol :-)

SpyderAnn01
02-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I am thinking they will let me know what they find out but it may have been a 1 in million thing. I will keep you all posted.

Good news about your insurance Karol :-)

I know you would rather have been the 1 in a million lottery winner or something other than the 1 in a million torn gasket guy but I'm happy to hear that they got you fixed up. I guarantee you will love the 2014. :2thumbs:

BRPcare
02-06-2014, 12:09 PM
it is a shame that BRP is in canada and that they don't have service people here in the states from a factory than can go see what happened to his bike.

Actually, we have a team of factory service folks in the U.S.A.

stevedfive
02-06-2014, 12:23 PM

That's great! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Do they "Spring into Action", like this??? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SUl69RFJ8

cuznjohn
02-06-2014, 12:35 PM

steve send them to my house, dinner is on me, and they can shovel out my bike and take a look at it. so send BIG people

BRPcare
02-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Do they "Spring into Action", like this??? :D

Bob, you know very well that I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of an alarm and a flashing red light. Nor can I comment on any rumors regarding an Ecto-1 version of the Spyder.

Bob Denman
02-06-2014, 12:50 PM
:D Perfect!! :2thumbs: :roflblack:
And mine is at the dealership! Thanks for the help with tracking it down! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
02-06-2014, 02:23 PM
It is good to see the proactive stance that BRP is taking on some of the issues that have risen. This is a big and noticeable change. :thumbup::thumbup:

bluestratos
02-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Lol... I am pretty sure I seen you service vehicle at the dealer ship yesterday! lol So now I know who am going to call......

Bob, you know very well that I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of an alarm and a flashing red light. Nor can I comment on any rumors regarding an Ecto-1 version of the Spyder.

JkRbbt
02-06-2014, 05:00 PM
It is good to see the proactive stance that BRP is taking on some of the issues that have risen. This is a big and noticeable change. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sad that this is a "change," but very good that it is happening! Keep it up and BRP might just get a reputation for customer service! :pray:

Dragonrider
02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:

bluestratos
02-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I did not really see a change, my first bike had problems as well and both the dealer and BRP were very proactive. After Carlos was gone things did get quiet and I did not see the customer care but I realized they have thousands of customers. What I did find a bit odd is that I had called in to the tech guys at BRP to have a question answered and they refused to work with me telling me I had to get the information from my dealer of whom had told me they did not know the answer, lol....

Well I hope to get some riding this in this weekend, it is starting to warm up and the snow warning has been down graded. Tres' Bon! lol

Marker
02-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Hi BRP Care "Steve"

Great to see you on this forum :thumbup:

belowme29
02-07-2014, 10:38 AM

The prototype emergency Spyder has been on Almost Human. The only thing that they need is a robotic tech to ryde it. ;)

Huntindawg1962
02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
seriously? I read through all six pages of this mystery novel post, played all those music video and clever clips, and a week later there is no happy ending to this story????? :banghead:

toota
02-22-2014, 01:47 AM
It is great to see a SPYDER RYDER on the forums with a happy outcome.
I am of the opinion that 'the cup is always full'.
Half water and half air is still a full cup.

I am waiting for delivery to AUSTRALIA of the 2014 RT!!!!!!!!! Possibly sometime mid April, maybe, possibly and subject to change at a moments notice.

Regards, Rob

2010RT Techno with too many mods to list

jerpinoy
02-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Wish you good luck and I'm glad you made it home safely.

Cruzr Joe
02-24-2014, 12:17 PM
seriously? I read through all six pages of this mystery novel post, played all those music video and clever clips, and a week later there is no happy ending to this story????? :banghead:

:agree::agree::agree:

What is the final outcome?????????????

Cruzr Joe

cyclelover63
02-24-2014, 04:53 PM
:bbq::popcorn::popcorn:..Here's hoping for a quick resolution!

ggivens
02-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Picked up my new bike today. On my way home the tranny started to slip then she died stranding me on the side of the road, in the dark, in the rain. My friends came to my rescue and we added oil. Finally got it running but it still slipped an made a howling noise. It through code po83e. Oh lucky me

My new 2014 RT Limited only lasted 30 miles, I picked it up from the dealer Friday and drove it home and parked it in the garage until Sunday. Once I moved the bike there was a puddle of oil on the floor. I had to take it back to the dealer first thing Monday morning.

SAPD911
02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
I had the oil leak at 40 miles. They fixed the set screw leak. Took my first road trip and now I am in the middle of no where waiting on a tow to my dealership 100 miles away. Transmission slippag. Shows a fault and E and engine light came on. $371 tow. Danny from BRP is flying down tomorrow And will look at the bike Wednesday morning. I will keep y'all posted. I did not see any oil leaks at all. Oil level appears to be okay. Have 311 miles. First slippage started at 190. Gradually got worse then just stopped with the error codes!

wis2013rtltd
02-24-2014, 06:33 PM
I am following this thread, closely. I find it very, very positive that BRP is flying a specialist in, and at the same time I find it a little un nerving that BRP is flying a specialist in if you know what I mean.... I am hopeful and optimistic your towing bill will be covered as so you do not have an out of pocket expenditure. I as someone considering a 14' also am grateful you are taking the time in order to keep us informed.. Best of luck to you, I am sure this will get solved to your satisfaction.

billybovine
02-25-2014, 05:36 PM

Randy

Are these the o-rings that gave you trouble item 24 and 25 pictured below.

SAPD911
02-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Are these the o-rings that gave you trouble item 24 and 25 pictured below.

Mine probably has the same problem, hopefully they do the same for me, BRP technician will be working on it tomorrow, fingers crossed.

SpyRyd
02-25-2014, 07:20 PM
My new 2014 RT Limited only lasted 30 miles, I picked it up from the dealer Friday and drove it home and parked it in the garage until Sunday. Once I moved the bike there was a puddle of oil on the floor. I had to take it back to the dealer first thing Monday morning.

ggivens, please start a new thread on your issue so we can follow it separately. Seems like there have been more than a few new 14s with oil leaks and at least a couple with slipping transmissions, which may be oil related as well. Please let us know what your dealer did or will do to get you back on the road. Thanks...