PDA

View Full Version : ST shuttering and shaking at start fixed!

hotglue
01-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Before FB took of on her ill fated trip for the 'Girls' Weekend' in Carlsbad NM.... I changed her rear tire. Got the wheel off, and as usual... put my fingers in the bearings to turn them and check their condition....
NEITHER BEARING WOULD TURN!!!!!!! This is the 1st time the rear wheel has been removed on the bike..
Unbolted the coned flange (opposite the belt drive side) and removed the cone part of the wheel.... The bearings turned easy no catch points ... just like they should....
Put the wheel back together and torqued it per the book.... I could not turn the bearings AT ALL....

Loosened the torque on the wheel parts.. and the bearings turned fine....
Did a close inspection of the rear axel and saw some indications that the inner race of the bearings had spun on the axel...NOT GOOD..
Took the wheel apart and took out the spacer pipe that goes between the inner bearing races... filed it down about .010 in. put the wheel back together, and torqued to spec... bearings turned a little, but not free.
Took the wheel apart again... took another .005 off the spacer. Put it all back together.... torque to spec.. bearing turning pretty free... put the bike back together....

The shuttering and shaking the bike was having when 1st taking off is gone.....

Either the pipe spacer was too long, or the bearing cups in the wheels were cut too deep... and putting WAY too much load on the bearings when the wheel parts are torqued ... enough to keep them from turning...

Better now...
If this is an issue on your bike.. it is something your dealer should check.. the amount I took off worked for me, but I would not assume that BRP's tolerance at manufacture is tight enough to use these numbers with out several checks at different measurements. When you pull your rear wheel... check you bearings for smooth operation!!!!

warp10
01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Good detective work, glad it runs better. :yes:

hotglue
01-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Well... the bikes is not running... it's in the shop.... but the rear wheel turns now..LOL Thanks

hotglue
02-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Well, I guess We are the only ones with this issue......not surprising... We have had a LOT of issues with the 2013 that no one else seems to have had.... or have recognized ...

Jeriatric
02-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Really do hate to ask but have to. Cause we all care. Still in the shop......?

Magdave
02-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Wonder if that extra friction had any effect on the heat issues?

hotglue
02-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Jerbear... yep, still in the shop...the shop and BRP are trying to figure it out.... rather them keep it than give us the standard "we could not duplicate the symptoms "

Magdave I can see how it might make the rear wheel run hot, but don't see how it would make the exhaust gas / engine bay run hot.... but who knows?

SNOOPY
02-06-2014, 07:43 PM
If the wheel were somewhat "stuck" the engine would have to work harder to turn it hence more heat.

flamingobabe
02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
the Spyder blew the O2 sensor on the way to Carlsbad, NM...on Friday...Dealer picked it up on Thursday...Spyder has been there 1 full week ... .no one has called me

SNOOPY
02-06-2014, 08:44 PM
This just gets worse and worse :(

Jeriatric
02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
the Spyder blew the O2 sensor on the way to Carlsbad, NM...on Friday...Dealer picked it up on Thursday...Spyder has been there 1 full week ... .no one has called me

Hardly seems fair when compared to other recent events. :doorag:

flamingobabe
02-07-2014, 10:32 AM
got a call...the bike is ready.....will pick up tomorrow

SpyderAnn01
02-07-2014, 10:53 AM
got a call...the bike is ready.....will pick up tomorrow

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you that this time it will be fixed.

Rd_Runner
02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
How is the spyder running?

cuznjohn
02-20-2014, 04:20 AM
the more i read the more i think about taking a loss and going back to 2 wheels or no wheels at all what a shame

hotglue
03-07-2014, 08:26 PM
FB and I took a nice ride last Saturday.... 420 miles... 75 degree temps ambient
Her bike seemed to run fine! No heat issues to speak of! But it wasn't hot outside.... Hoping for the best! This is a good sign. cautiously optimistic !!!!!

NancysToy
03-07-2014, 10:23 PM
FB and I took a nice ride last Saturday.... 420 miles... 75 degree temps ambient
Her bike seemed to run fine! No heat issues to speak of! But it wasn't hot outside.... Hoping for the best! This is a good sign. cautiously optimistic !!!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 06:25 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_8.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_1.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_104.gif