PDA

View Full Version : Expired warranty

dizzyspots
01-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Query: I purchased a 2102 RT/LTD last summer with about 1200 miles on it. The prior owner assured me that the ownership/warranty would be transferred by him.

After months of no contact from him or BRP. I sent the change of ownership document out of the owners manual to BRP....months ago.

After not hearing back from BRP...I sent them an email...got a reply in 24 hrs: Your warranty has expired and no you cannot buy the extended warranty.

Any other Spyder owners out there with a similar experience? Any sort of recourse to get an extended warranty?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Jeriatric
01-29-2014, 01:33 PM
http://www.mcgrawgroup.com/

Western warranty. It is my understanding they will warranty it providing it fits their mileage to age criteria

Cruzr Joe
01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Query: I purchased a 2102 RT/LTD last summer with about 1200 miles on it. The prior owner assured me that the ownership/warranty would be transferred by him.

After months of no contact from him or BRP. I sent the change of ownership document out of the owners manual to BRP....months ago.

After not hearing back from BRP...I sent them an email...got a reply in 24 hrs: Your warranty has expired and no you cannot buy the extended warranty.

Any other Spyder owners out there with a similar experience? Any sort of recourse to get an extended warranty?

Thanks in advance

Mike

first i would verify the original delivery date with the dealer that sold it to the original owner, the warranty is for two years from that date.

cruzr joe

Chupaca
01-29-2014, 03:35 PM
you have to apply for the extended warranty before the factory warranty expures. After that you have to get an outside extended warranty. Now your problem is the time it took to get the response from the different parties. You would have to have documentation that you applied for changes etc prior to the expiration of the original warranty...:chill:

MouthPiece
01-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike:

My name is Chris. (Inmate # 3589421) I am sitting in Raiford Prison, Lake Butler, Flarda.. I had a similar experience. My recourse was my 357 Magnum. I got 20 years to life. Judge was lenient
I did get personal satisfaction when I shot that sucker. I had a terrible lawyer. Hope this helps.

Chris

boomerkc
01-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Hi Mike:

My name is Chris. (Inmate # 3589421) I am sitting in Raiford Prison, Lake Butler, Flarda.. I had a similar experience. My recourse was my 357 Magnum. I got 20 years to life. Judge was lenient
I did get personal satisfaction when I shot that sucker. I had a terrible lawyer. Hope this helps.

Chris

That's what you get for representing yourself. A fool for a lawyer.

Jim

dizzyspots
01-29-2014, 05:34 PM
So, I pleaded my case thru emails to BRP. Their last message stated that I should have just taken the bill of sale to the dealer and referred me to the owners manual. There is no option available in the 2012 OM. Both options require participation of the original owner, which after multiple attempts to contact were futile.
They advised no option, no "higher power" at BRP for a resolution. No exception for a 2012 with 2000 miles and was 74 days past expiration when I finally received a reply from BRP?

Has anyone experienced warranty repairs using an aftermarket provider?

Bob Denman
01-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Caveat emptor... :shocked:
Sorry to hear that you got caught...

Jeriatric
01-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Western comes highly recommended by both techs and service writers. Owners as well. Just search the web. You'll find many folks who use their plan.

Bob Denman
01-29-2014, 06:43 PM
It sounds as if there are some options available to you... :thumbup:
Let us know what you decide to do; Happy Shopping! :D

dizzyspots
01-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Bryce over at Bert's generously took the time to research the VIN...found out that it did expire on 10/31/13...they didnt process the change of ownership until 12/20/2013. He says that his hands are tied, but is going to work up a quote for the Western Policy.
After 40 years of riding and multiple bike purchases...Ive never seen a deal where its incumbent upon the seller to transfer the ownership???

Dan McNally
01-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Bryce over at Bert's generously took the time to research the VIN...found out that it did expire on 10/31/13...they didnt process the change of ownership until 12/20/2013. He says that his hands are tied, but is going to work up a quote for the Western Policy.
After 40 years of riding and multiple bike purchases...Ive never seen a deal where its incumbent upon the seller to transfer the ownership???

Bryce is good people . . . and "he's" a "she" nojoke

Dan McNally
01-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi Mike:

Chris

Don't believe a word Chris says . . . he's in Folsom for perjury! :roflblack:

MouthPiece
01-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Don't believe a word Chris says . . . he's in Folsom for perjury! :roflblack:

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Sarge707
01-29-2014, 09:30 PM
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

I don,t believe this Bull****? If your Not gonna help the person- Shut your Trap!!!nojoke

Cruzr Joe
01-29-2014, 11:15 PM
I don,t believe this Bull****? If your Not gonna help the person- Shut your Trap!!!nojoke

Step away from the keyboard and take your meds. Rude remarks never help a situation.

Cruzr Joe

dizzyspots
01-30-2014, 11:01 AM
So, I just finished another email with BRP. They are standing their ground. They will not acknowledge the confusion in the owners manual's insistence on the sellers participation in the transfer. They don't acknowledge that it doesn't offer a compromise of the buyer simply using the bill of sale as evidence. They also wont address their delay in processing my request which was sent before the expiration.
I am not asking for a repair after the warranty expired, although many reputable companies, including Gold Wing, are on record as doing just that. I am simply asking permission to BUY another BRP product.
I closed the email with a request to carry this appeal to the next level...we'll see.

Bob Ledford
01-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Step away from the keyboard and take your meds. Rude remarks never help a situation.

Cruzr Joe

He is proof "grumpy flakes" work.

It is a shame the seller did not do as promised. Surely there is an insurance provider that will gamble on making some profit by insuring him on a warranty. Bob D had it right buyer beware always works. A wise man once said "if you want it done right do it yourself!"

Jeriatric
01-30-2014, 11:40 AM
So, I just finished another email with BRP. They are standing their ground. They will not acknowledge the confusion in the owners manual's insistence on the sellers participation in the transfer. They don't acknowledge that it doesn't offer a compromise of the buyer simply using the bill of sale as evidence. They also wont address their delay in processing my request which was sent before the expiration.
I am not asking for a repair after the warranty expired, although many reputable companies, including Gold Wing, are on record as doing just that. I am simply asking permission to BUY another BRP product.
I closed the email with a request to carry this appeal to the next level...we'll see.

BRP Is on record for taking care of things out of warranty too. Albeit on a case by case basis. That said, your frustration is understandable. If a company was giving this much hassle over what you're saying is a time delay on their part. I wouldn't waste my time trying to spend more money with them when someone else offers a product equal to, or better than, they offer. jm2c of course

Sarge707
01-30-2014, 12:55 PM

Cruzr Joe

My Meds are Spinning for an hour 5 times a week and it was Very Rude for these individuals to jump in and make a Big Joke of someones Plight??? So they are the ones who should "Step Away from the Keyboard" if they are just here to be jokers at someones expense!!nojoke

MouthPiece
01-30-2014, 01:24 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cruzr Joe
01-30-2014, 01:55 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Put down the popcorn and go do something useful (Oooops sorry i forgot you are a lawyer) :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

And quit stirring up these old folks that have no sense of humor. :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie :

Lets get Spyderfest started up and Party :yes::yes::yes:

Cruzr Joe

MouthPiece
01-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Put down the popcorn and go do something useful (Oooops sorry i forgot you are a lawyer) :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

And quit stirring up these old folks that have no sense of humor. :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie :

Lets get Spyderfest started up and Party :yes::yes::yes:

Cruzr Joe

MouthPiece <======= 70, Is that old? (No comments Forrest) <smiles>

Cruzr Joe
01-31-2014, 09:40 AM
MouthPiece <======= 70, Is that old? (No comments Forrest) <smiles>

I did not say you were old ..................... I said quit stirring up the old folks with no sense of humor. :roflblack::roflblack:

(Old folks can't read either :roflblack::roflblack:)

Cruzr Joe < About to turn 65 and retiring on March 31, 2014 (if i live that long) :thumbup:

Spyder4Tess
02-01-2014, 09:23 AM
You would think BRP would want your money but I guess that's not the case.

When I bought my wife a used 2011 RT it was still under the factory warranty.The owner said there was no ext. warranty.
So after reading the warranty transfer info in the manual I was confused.

To play it safe I called the selling dealer and was told to come down and they would handle the transfer.
So after going,we were pleased to find out it also had the BEST warranty until 2016.

dizzyspots
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
...and I didnt want the tone of the inquiry to sound like I was blameless. In hindsight, I should have called BRP for clarification. I presumed that they would still take my cash. Now on the search for an aftermarket warranty...most are pricey and scams....or just save a credit card balance for a crisis and keep up on the maintenance...

Bob Denman
02-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Hindsight usually is 20/20... and too late to be useful! :gaah:

Please let us know if you find any aftermarket warranties that will suit you...
Good LUck, and Happy Hunting! :thumbup: nojoke

mcpjan
08-16-2014, 04:51 PM
I just picked up a 2013 RT Limited with 1068 miles on it. It was several states away so I got a lot of information from him. He said it had more than 2 years left on the warranty. I called several dealers with the VIN number and verified it was covered and what I needed to do transfer and was there a cost. I found that there was no cost I could go into any Can Am dealer with proof of ownership and they could transfer it. The day after I got it drove the 40 miles with bill of sale and my new registration card. They transferred it and told me it has several recalls on it. They even took the extra steps to see how long to get the parts and printed me a copy with all the warranty information on it. They also told me that I could get one more year added as long as done before it expires.

In short you can go to any authorized dealer to verify a VIN coverage status and do transfers. Hope this helps someone.