PDA

View Full Version : potholes

midnightbreeze50
01-28-2014, 12:34 AM
Yesterday I scared the **** out of myself, I hit a pothole, front left tire Blowed out sounded like a gun going off , luckly I did not hit the brakes, but I did have a fight until I slowed down this was about a mile after a gas station, a fellow spyder Ryder stopped and offered help, Thanks to him I got to the gas station and tried to put some air back into the tire, then I went a bought some tire fix , and still would not take air, being 2 miles from the house I decided to ride it home , got it jacked up and found 3 holes in the tire , Going to take it to moutain motorsports in conyers Wednesday, I have the day off , get them to put new tire on but b-4 that have them check rim, I am THANKFUL I was on a SPYDER, while I have had time to reflect on my experiance I believe if I had been on a 2 wheeler I might have not walked away from this , Just saying, Thank the LORD,,, Midnightbreeze50

Texas
01-28-2014, 12:53 AM
That must have been some pothole. I would have thought that the tires would have held up on the Spyder better than most cars due to there being less weight on them. What was in the pothole to cause three separate holes? Were they in the bottom of the tire, or in the sidewall? I'm happy to hear you are ok, besides maybe needing to replace your pants. Nice job getting it to a stop without loosing control.

rugbyruth
01-28-2014, 02:28 AM
just another reason spyders are safer then 2 wheelers. good to hear you are o.k.:clap:

midnightbreeze50
01-28-2014, 05:17 AM
just another reason spyders are safer then 2 wheelers. good to hear you are o.k.:clap:

yes I think the spyders are safe also, if it had been a 2 wheeler , I might have wrecked , the pothole was about 6 inches deep and jagged at the exit end, and the holes were in the sidewall.

Purple Guy
01-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Glad to hear you're ok!

Bob Denman
01-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Have them check the wheel for damage as well... :shocked:
That had to have been a potcavern to do that! :yikes:

NancysToy
01-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Wild ride! Glad you are OK.

den1953
01-28-2014, 08:56 AM
With a severe jolt like your Ryde took it could have knocked the front end out of alignment or even bent a tie rod. Make sure they check the front end after they change the tire to be sure it's ok.

Cruzr Joe
01-28-2014, 09:00 AM
In Colorado ..................................... Potholes are legal.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
01-28-2014, 09:18 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_219.gif

MouthPiece
01-28-2014, 10:46 AM
In Colorado ..................................... Potholes are legal.

Cruzr Joe
WASHINGTON TOO. GO BRONCOS!!!!

Chupaca
01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
first of all really glad you kept your cool and made it through safely. Now to blow the tire you hit hard, you by all means need to replace it and they will check the rim and balance. But don't stop there, have the front end alignment redone and frame checked. Better be safe and not have other problems come up...:lecturef_smilie:

Bob Ledford
01-28-2014, 11:36 AM
In FL our pot holes are called sink holes and we grow them big. 10' to swallow a house big and deep. You don't just lose a tire you lose the whole machine.

Watch those pot pot holes and glad it was just an old tire and not you!:pray:

RBS66
01-28-2014, 12:17 PM
WOW!! Glad your ok and weren't injured.

ARtraveler
01-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Glad you made it through the incident safely. Good advice above. A hit that hard may cause rim and alignment damage. This incident may end up costing more than just a replacement tire. We also get some wicked pot holes in our area. A constant hazard.

Dan_Ashley
01-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Wow. Scary. Good engineering on the Spyder and keeping your cool kept you from injury. How fast were you going?

golfsferr
01-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Wow. Scary. Good engineering on the Spyder and keeping your cool kept you from injury. How fast were you going?

Here in Michigan pot holes are a dime a dozen! They're already bad this year and the spring thaw hasn't even happened yet. Glad you're ok!

midnightbreeze50
01-29-2014, 09:46 PM
F
first of all I am Thankful for all the good Praises from Spyder LoverS., Im new to spyder riding but notnew to motorcycles been riding for almost 40 years 58 now, I was running about 60 when the pothole jumped out in front of me, I owe my safety to the spyder and the good LORD above, and after that my new friend Dee Dee, he stayed with me until the end and I got home, He is a Spyder RYDER TOO, it has snowed here in Ga. so tomorrow Im going to venture out and go to the dealer, and get the tire and rim checked, Thanks for the advise to have the frame and alignment checked, Ill know soon as I ride it if its out of alignment, I love my new rt it is a 2013 no heat issues, and rides like a Breeze no pun intended LOL DeWayne Johnson not the ROCK!!!!:yes:

NancysToy
01-29-2014, 10:33 PM
F
first of all I am Thankful for all the good Praises from Spyder LoverS., Im new to spyder riding but notnew to motorcycles been riding for almost 40 years 58 now, I was running about 60 when the pothole jumped out in front of me, I owe my safety to the spyder and the good LORD above, and after that my new friend Dee Dee, he stayed with me until the end and I got home, He is a Spyder RYDER TOO, it has snowed here in Ga. so tomorrow Im going to venture out and go to the dealer, and get the tire and rim checked, Thanks for the advise to have the frame and alignment checked, Ill know soon as I ride it if its out of alignment, I love my new rt it is a 2013 no heat issues, and rides like a Breeze no pun intended LOL DeWayne Johnson not the ROCK!!!!:yes:
You may wish to contact your insurance company, too. This could be costly, but comprehensive insurance may cover it.

spacetiger
01-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Also check the underside of the frunk if you contacting the insurance company, I bet it has some serious scrapes.

Jerry

Bob Denman
01-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Depending on your State's insurance regulations; this might just be a collision claim... :shocked:
(It is, here in New York)