PDA

View Full Version : Helmet advice

SAPD911
01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Looking to buy a helmet. Any advice. Needs to be dual flip. Plan on using it to talk to the passenger, ect.

Magdave
01-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Looking to buy a helmet. Any advice. Needs to be dual flip. Plan on using it to talk to the passenger, ect.
I really like My 2 Gmax helmets. 67S 3/4 and 54S composite for colder weather. Both have sunshades built in that work very well.

67S Has a extra jaw piece you can buy but it makes it difficult to put on unless you install it with it on. I also won't do much in a crash
http://images.leatherup.com/imagesproc/259858_H_SH355_MW400.jpg

54S
http://www.prlog.org/11321446-gmax-helmet-picture.jpg

bmwlarry
01-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Don't know what you mean by Dual flip but my wife an I use the Shoei Neotech and just love it.

Mets79ST2013
01-27-2014, 12:12 PM
I have few helmets but my favorite is the Shark since I can pull the front to the back if is too hot outside, Shark Evoline 3 ST Moovit (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-moovit-helmet)I got it from Revzilla they have specials all the time and also can give you advise on the helmets...

Chupaca
01-27-2014, 12:14 PM
as far as communication you can use any helmet. Your best bet is to go to one of those mega stores and trying several on. The price range is really big and you can get them with rearview cams built in. I will tell you we have modular helmets so we can flip the front up in slow and around town traffic. We have the HJC helmets kinda mid range..good luck..!! :thumbup:

DJFaninTN
01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Shoei Neotech ..... awesome modular helmet. a little pricier than some but super comfortable and quiet. Great airflow as well!!!

http://www.toms-motorradshop.de/media/images/shoei-neotec-white-2.jpg

jwulf74
01-27-2014, 12:30 PM
We tried the modular where the chin price is fixed down. Just too claustrophobic and hard to put on and take off. We switched to the HJC with the full face that flips up. It also has the built in tinted sunglasses thing ( technical name? :dontknow:) Much better and easier to get in and out of while offering full protection. My wife decided to test it out at 50 on the highway when some guy turned across our path. She laid her Vulcan down and rolled quite a ways but her helmet did its job. :bowdown: Only a banged up knee out of the deal. We immediately bought a replacement of the same exact helmet.

My advice...the full face flip style.

Dan_Ashley
01-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Get a white one. A study of helmet colors vs. fatalities in New Zealand showed a 21% reduction in fatalities for motorcyclists wearing white ones. (not green, not yellow, not red, not black).

whiteyron
01-27-2014, 12:36 PM
We tried the modular where the chin price is fixed down. Just too claustrophobic and hard to put on and take off. We switched to the HJC with the full face that flips up. It also has the built in tinted sunglasses thing ( technical name? :dontknow:) Much better and easier to get in and out of while offering full protection. My wife decided to test it out at 50 on the highway when some guy turned across our path. She laid her Vulcan down and rolled quite a ways but her helmet did its job. :bowdown: Only a banged up knee out of the deal. We immediately bought a replacement of the same exact helmet.

I agree, my wife and I both have these.

jcthorne
01-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Helmets are a safety item. Protect your brain bucket first. Convenience is secondary.

That said, Snell M 2010 rating is a minimum. This rules out all but a very few (one I think) modular helmets. Guys, the modular helmets protect no better than an open face helmet with shield. Many of them CAUSE more injuries during an accident. This is why so few are Snell rated.

Next, do you really want to trust your life to a cheaply made Chinese or Pakistan made helmet? This is one area where the expensive ones really are better. All the good ones are in similar price range 3 to 500.

All this said, I loved my Arai the first time I put it on. Avoided buying it for years but glad I did ever since. Louise finally came around as well after watching a safety video from Snell Foundation.

SAPD911
01-27-2014, 12:48 PM

thats the one I was looking at, thanks all, will decide at the dealer this Thursday. have a $500 gift card. I definately want safety before comfort.

NancysToy
01-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Get one that fits properly! nojoke

The fit of a helmet is more important than the styling or color. It needs to fit snugly all around, with no pressure points or hot spots. It needs fasten securely, and be unable to be moved without moving your scalp with it. Try one on and wear it around the store for 15-20 minutes...no matter who stares. If it doesn't fit right, don't just select a larger size, choose a different model or brand.

SAPD911
01-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Shoei Neotech ..... awesome modular helmet. a little pricier than some but super comfortable and quiet. Great airflow as well!!!

http://www.toms-motorradshop.de/media/images/shoei-neotec-white-2.jpg i like this one as well,

cognaccruiser
01-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Many people will tell you what brand of helmet they like best. The absolute most important thing to find is the one that fits you the best. Every helmet fits differently. The brand does not matter as much as the fit. Having said that, cheap helmets are not worth it but a good mid range helmet that fits you properly is probably better than an expensive one that doesn't. If you find one that seems to feel good, wear it in the store for a good hour to see if it still feels good. We have learned from experience that a helmet may feel good initially but after wearing them for a while there may be pressure points that develop and can make wearing them for prolonged rides almost painful. If the store doesn't allow you to do that, go else where. My wife and I wear modular/flip front helmets because we wear glasses and it is more convenient. If we didn't wear glasses we would buy full face. If buying modular, have a good look at the locking mechanism. Expensive helmets like Shoei or Schuberth have a better locking mechanism. That is what we bought just recently, the Shoei Neotec for me and a Schuberth C3 Pro for my wife, because we found ones that fit us. We were also fortunate in that the woman helping us is a motorcycle safety instructor and compared to many other shops we visited, really new her stuff. HJC makes a good mid range helmet as does Nolan but we just can't find any that fit us. We also opted for white helmets for the safety factor.
It's an important purchase so good luck and find ones that fits.
Cheers, Gary

OJ UK
01-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Yep! Trust me to be different!

I got a Lazer Monaco Pure Carbon which is very light, comfortable and has the best cooling I have experienced.
My Schuberth hasn't been out since I bought this one! Initially it feels quite tight but the padding soon takes on
the shape of your head. The visor already has Pinlock fittings and I like the one-hand opening fastener.
These helmets are warrantied for three years and the internal padding can be removed and washed.
The padding is also available to buy as a spare part.

Take a look here : http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lazer-monaco-carbon-helmet

The video is quite good although the guy speaks a little fast! I can only hear slowly!
Having had this helmet for a while now I can honestly say that I'm very pleased with it.
I lurrrrrrve the photochromic visor (shield).
And for those who need it, it comes in white! I have the natural carbon finish and it gets many
complimentary comments.

82375CLICK!!

NB. Like most brands of helmet some people will find the fit of the Lazer not too comfortable while
others will love them. Personally I have a big problem with all Arai helmets....just no good for me at all.

CapNCrunch
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
I've been wearing an HJC SY-MAXII for a few years, now. Very comfortable and protective. I did a high-side a few years ago, going 65MPH on a downhill curve. Was in the hospital for 7 days with 7 broken ribs, a broken finger and a collapsed lung. That helmet saved my life! I hit the pavement pretty hard, but the face shield didn't even come off. I replaced it with another HJC SY-MAXII. It's about time to replace this one, now, and I'm getting another HJC. I understand they've even IMPROVED THEM.
CapNCrunch : =)

Highwayman2013
01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Helmets are very personal, I was going to get a modular but wasn't thinking I needed it so I got a Scorpion EXO500 Neon Yellow helmet. It has the flip down sun shield and great venting and comes in 3X for a big head. It's DOT and ECE. Great value for a helmet with a lot of features. Yes they have modulars too. Yes my Sena bluetooth fit just fine.

Magdave
01-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Snell won't test modular helmets so saying they are unsafe because of that is misleading. HJC and Gmax are very similar. The Snell certification test is outdated, a helmet can pass their test and still transmit 300g's to the wearer's head, which is pretty much guaranteed to produce at least severe injury. I would expect them to upgrade their standards soon, helmets can be made now that far exceed either Snell or DOT.

The actual cost of Snell certification is minimal if you sell helmets world-wide, a few bucks per. The Snell certification is a selling point to people that believe in it, in the majority of real-world crashes a DOT helmet may actually be safer; it must transmit less energy in a flat impact, such as falling from the bike and hitting your head on the pavement.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/helmets/flip-up-modular-motorcycle-helmets-buyers-guide.htm/

http://youtu.be/kmj6bSOq66Y

Bob Denman
01-27-2014, 02:17 PM
82386 You just knew that somebody would post something like this... :D

bikeguy
01-27-2014, 02:32 PM

As others have suggested, the fit of a helmet is more important than anything else. It's hard to find a motorcycle dealership with sales people who really understand helmets and how to fit them. I don't know where you are in Texas but Moto-Liberty has very knowledgeable sales people and a large selection of helmets. They have a store in Farmer's Branch (Dallas area) and one in San Antonio. If you can determine exactly what helmet and size you need, BajaRon, a site sponsor has a good selection of Arai helmets and probably lower prices than most. Ron can also give you some really good advice about fitting and selecting a helmet. Personally, I wear a Shoei Multi-tech, which neither Moto-Liberty nor BajaRon handles, because it is a high quality helmet and fits my head. My next helmet will probably be a full face without the flip up chin because they are quieter.

Cotton

ARtraveler
01-27-2014, 03:51 PM
82386 You just knew that somebody would post something like this... :D

I like it--but would prefer moose horns. I am guessing they would cause some wind buffeting though. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
01-27-2014, 03:54 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gifThey double as CB, and XM radio antennas...

ARtraveler
01-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Everyone has posted very good advice. Fit, fit, fit, fit is the most important. You should be trying a few on to make sure you get that part right.

Not mentioned yet is that you should replace a current helmet if it has been dropped or is more than a couple years old. Just to make sure it will be ready and able when you really call upon it to do its appointed job.

My last four helmets have been Nolan. I like the flip up feature on the front. N-102 to N-104. You get a full face but don't have to wedge your head in it to get it on or off. I also like the drop down, built in sun shield. The Nolan's come with set up for their N-com communication system--but I tried it and don't like it. We currently use Sena and that set up is attached to the helmet.

The Nolan also has a type with a face shield and a removable chin bar--similar to the full face look. N-43 and N-44 series. Not as good or as safe as a full face--but a decision you make.

It's been two plus years on both our current helmets and with a new :spyder2: on order, I now have some encouragement to replace them. I plan on doing some shopping as the season progresses. Good luck in your hunt. :thumbup:

jcthorne
01-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Snell won't test modular helmets so saying they are unsafe because of that is misleading. HJC and Gmax are very similar. The Snell certification test is outdated, a helmet can pass their test and still transmit 300g's to the wearer's head, which is pretty much guaranteed to produce at least severe injury. I would expect them to upgrade their standards soon, helmets can be made now that far exceed either Snell or DOT.

The actual cost of Snell certification is minimal if you sell helmets world-wide, a few bucks per. The Snell certification is a selling point to people that believe in it, in the majority of real-world crashes a DOT helmet may actually be safer; it must transmit less energy in a flat impact, such as falling from the bike and hitting your head on the pavement.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/helmets/flip-up-modular-motorcycle-helmets-buyers-guide.htm/

http://youtu.be/kmj6bSOq66Y

I know of one Snell approved modular, so saying they will not test them is not correct. They have tested and published the reasons for failure of quite a few. Every Snell approved helmet will also carry a DOT rating (in the US) the opposite is not true. Snell refuses to lower the standards to go from full face to modular. They refuse to test a modular as a 3/4 or open face standard, they test them as full face, and they mostly fail. Thus why I will not wear one yet. When modular are made to protect as well as full face helmets and are tested to do so, I will consider them.
T
he one that passed last year is a high end esoteric label and when I checked into it, no one in Houston carried it and ordering one was over $1000.

Dan_Ashley
01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Basically a helmet is only needed for a few micro-seconds after a crash. Other than that, it is just a hat. A hat that can accomplish a few extra things like keep things a little quiet, keep bugs out of your eyes, provide sunglasses, be a sun visor, hold your phone or communications gear, etc. But it is still just a hat. It is a hat that has to be replaced if you smack into a wall or something while wearing it...but except for those few micro-seconds of "wall-smacking" it is still just a hat.

A real cheap DOT helmet provides almost as much protection as a $500 one. However, the "hat" properties are a lot different. So:
1. Make sure it fits.
2. Make sure the retention system will keep it on your head.
3. Make sure it has other properties that you might want such as color, flip up-ness, holds comm gear, has a rear view mirror (really there is at least one helmet that has one!), keeps out the cold, keeps out the noise, etc. This is where the expensive helmets are much different from the cheap ones.
4. Wear it. Those few micro-seconds that it was designed for are important.

NancysToy
01-27-2014, 08:00 PM
.....Not mentioned yet is that you should replace a current helmet if it has been dropped or is more than a couple years old. Just to make sure it will be ready and able when you really call upon it to do its appointed job. .....

That's a bit overstated. Most manufacturers recommend replacing a helmet if it sustains a significant fall or damage, is involved in an accident, or if it is 3-5 years from date of purchase or 5-7 years from date of manufacture (on a sticker inside the lining).

ARtraveler
01-27-2014, 08:10 PM
That's a bit overstated. Most manufacturers recommend replacing a helmet if it sustains a significant fall or damage, is involved in an accident, or if it is 3-5 years from date of purchase or 5-7 years from date of manufacture (on a sticker inside the lining).

Better safe than sorry? What would be your definition of "significant fall or damage?" How do I know if I should trust a helmet after that?

I am very conservative and that comes out sometimes. :roflblack::roflblack:

Pirate looks at --
01-27-2014, 08:23 PM
I know of one Snell approved modular, so saying they will not test them is not correct. They have tested and published the reasons for failure of quite a few. Every Snell approved helmet will also carry a DOT rating (in the US) the opposite is not true. Snell refuses to lower the standards to go from full face to modular. They refuse to test a modular as a 3/4 or open face standard, they test them as full face, and they mostly fail. Thus why I will not wear one yet. When modular are made to protect as well as full face helmets and are tested to do so, I will consider them.
T
he one that passed last year is a high end esoteric label and when I checked into it, no one in Houston carried it and ordering one was over $1000.

I absolutely agree. Love my Arai Defiant. Fits perfect, is quiet, and has way more than enough ventilation. In my opinion there is only one reason to wear a helmet. Safety, and I feel safe.

joebryanjr
01-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Mine is a Scorpion modular with built in flip-up sun shield in addition to the face mask. The "modular" piece can be removed and a short visor installed. The flip-up visor remains with the shell.

TexasSpyder
01-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Scorpion here fits my head great. Try any helmet on before buying.

J. D.

M109Dreamer
01-27-2014, 08:47 PM
T

I have the Shark EVO modular and it is Snell and DOT approved. Very hard to get them out this way anymore. But I will buy another when the time comes. Take a look at them. There not as quiet as the full face but is nice when open, you dknt have the chin piece in the air with the wind hitting it. Ill look for the link.

Here is the link to video review done on it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OCmJt8bc7TI

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oldmanzues
01-27-2014, 09:20 PM
I have few helmets but my favorite is the Shark since I can pull the front to the back if is too hot outside, Shark Evoline 3 ST Moovit (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-moovit-helmet)I got it from Revzilla they have specials all the time and also can give you advise on the helmets...
Fit is very important. different brand/model have different head shapes as well as sizes.
I love my Shark. It feel kind of heavy to hold, but is does not feel that way oh my head.It has a locking system when the "bar" is pulled down, so in effect is as solid as most modular helmets that just kind of flip up
I normally ride with the bar down, but in real hot weather at slow speeds, it may be up. Most PGR escorts I leave it up as they are slow (normally) speed and the helmet still looks good. Mine also mets the EU Standards which are supposely more demanding then US
Oldmanzes

NancysToy
01-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Better safe than sorry? What would be your definition of "significant fall or damage?" How do I know if I should trust a helmet after that?

I am very conservative and that comes out sometimes. :roflblack::roflblack:

Manufacturers seem to vary on what they consider to be a significant fall. If your head is in the helmet, I would consider it almost any fall where the helmet contacted the ground or another object. There is no way to tell if any of the foam shell's cells may have collapsed without being visible. Without the helmet on your head I'd worry about a fall from anywhere above about waist high. Less likely to cause foam damage, but deep gouges, or scratches penetrating into the fiberglass beyond the outer gel coat could compromise the strength of the helmet. All dents are bad. Any visible, radiating or traversing cracks are cause for rejection, too. These are just my criteria...all helmets pick up a few minor scuffs and dings from time to time. Your thresholds may vary. JMHO

Dan McNally
01-27-2014, 10:48 PM
Everyone has posted very good advice. Fit, fit, fit, fit is the most important. You should be trying a few on to make sure you get that part right.

Not mentioned yet is that you should replace a current helmet if it has been dropped or is more than a couple years old. Just to make sure it will be ready and able when you really call upon it to do its appointed job.

My last four helmets have been Nolan. I like the flip up feature on the front. N-102 to N-104. You get a full face but don't have to wedge your head in it to get it on or off. I also like the drop down, built in sun shield. The Nolan's come with set up for their N-com communication system--but I tried it and don't like it. We currently use Sena and that set up is attached to the helmet.

The Nolan also has a type with a face shield and a removable chin bar--similar to the full face look. N-43 and N-44 series. Not as good or as safe as a full face--but a decision you make.

It's been two plus years on both our current helmets and with a new :spyder2: on order, I now have some encouragement to replace them. I plan on doing some shopping as the season progresses. Good luck in your hunt. :thumbup:
My current, and best fitting helmet, to date, is my Nolan N104. Lots have folks have stressed fit . . . that is very important. After having a few helmets with drop down, tinted visors, I'll never buy another that doesn't have that feature. The Nolan has a pinlock visor that has also sold me on that feature. No matter how cold it is, I get no fogging on the visor. A wise man once said: "If you have a $50 brain, get a $50 helmet . . . what is your brain worth?" Get the best you can afford, and make sure it fits. Hit every place that sells them, near you, and try one every helmet that has the features you want. If buying online, check their return policy, in case it doesn't fit, properly. Good places will take it back, no questions (or restock fee!)

Dan_Ashley
01-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Snoopy, The World War II Flying Ace, wears a leather helmet. I'm just sayin'

tobor9
01-28-2014, 12:51 AM
Mine is a Scorpion modular with built in flip-up sun shield in addition to the face mask. The "modular" piece can be removed and a short visor installed. The flip-up visor remains with the shell.

We have the same model,nice helmet :yes:

bertmc
01-28-2014, 12:55 AM
Two more votes for Shoei Neotech. Also had Nolan modulars and liked them. If you wear glasses and can put the helmet on or take it off without removing your glasses, it is probably too loose. I did that for years before I got a proper fit.

jcthorne
01-28-2014, 07:09 AM
I have the Shark EVO modular and it is Snell and DOT approved. Very hard to get them out this way anymore. But I will buy another when the time comes. Take a look at them. There not as quiet as the full face but is nice when open, you dknt have the chin piece in the air with the wind hitting it. Ill look for the link.

Here is the link to video review done on it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OCmJt8bc7TI

Revzilla and the mfg web site both show the Shark EVO as DOT approved but not Snell M2010.

Indyron
01-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Get one that fits properly! nojoke

The fit of a helmet is more important than the styling or color. It needs to fit snugly all around, with no pressure points or hot spots. It needs fasten securely, and be unable to be moved without moving your scalp with it. Try one on and wear it around the store for 15-20 minutes...no matter who stares. If it doesn't fit right, don't just select a larger size, choose a different model or brand.

Go to www.revzilla.com they have several videos on how to match helmet manufacturer sizing with the shape of your head. Very good videos, pricing and customer service.

Bob Denman
01-28-2014, 09:09 AM
What is a,"significant" fall?
Any one that gives you time to think...
"Oh :shocked:; this is gonna HURT!" :yikes:

OJ UK
01-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Snoopy, The World War II Flying Ace, wears a leather helmet. I'm just sayin'

LOL!!!! Actually Dan, Snoopy was a WWI flying ace. His adversary, The Red Baron (von Richthoven) flew a Fokker tri-plane
while Snoopy had to make do with his trusty Sopwith Camel!! Don't you know any history!!:roflblack:

Dan_Ashley
01-28-2014, 11:57 AM
LOL!!!! Actually Dan, Snoopy was a WWI flying ace. His adversary, The Red Baron (von Richthoven) flew a Fokker tri-plane
while Snoopy had to make do with his trusty Sopwith Camel!! Don't you know any history!!:roflblack:

Darn...I got it wrong...Dummy Daniel Strikes Again! Me...and I was in the Red Baron Patrol in the Boy Scouts...just no excuse for my "Charlie Brown" behavior.

M109Dreamer
01-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Revzilla and the mfg web site both show the Shark EVO as DOT approved but not Snell M2010.

Huh? Wonder if they lost the Snell approval. I have the EVO series 1 and it has both on the back of the helmet.

Bob Denman
01-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Darn...I got it wrong...Dummy Daniel Strikes Again! Me...and I was in the Red Baron Patrol in the Boy Scouts...just no excuse for my "Charlie Brown" behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxzg_iM-T4E

Magdave
01-28-2014, 12:49 PM
http://youtu.be/s_cXBqqp8RE

Bob Denman
01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: LOVE THAT SONG!! :thumbup: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Magdave
01-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Speaking on helmet fit I have never had a helmet fit better than my Gmax. It also has the ability to buy different cheek pads to customize it to you liking. I found this and it shows the other thing I like the ventilation is great especially since I ride in 100deg temps in the summer. Oh and the rear light can be upgraded to work with your brake lights too :thumbup:

http://youtu.be/2LX6MYbXerw

SAPD911
01-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks all, went with the Shoei Modular.

Dan_Ashley
01-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks all, went with the Shoei Modular.Color?

Dan McNally
01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Color?

I hope white was the color of choice . . . as in Spyders, it is a well known fact that white is the fastest color! :roflblack:

SAPD911
01-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Color?
Same color as my spyder, white. :)

Dan_Ashley
01-28-2014, 06:18 PM
White
Zowie!!!

OJ UK
01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Huh? Wonder if they lost the Snell approval. I have the EVO series 1 and it has both on the back of the helmet.

I think you'll find that Snell no longer test modular helmets.

M109Dreamer
01-28-2014, 09:59 PM
I think you'll find that Snell no longer test modular helmets.

Maybe thats it. I just looked at mine. But i have had mine for 4 years now.