PDA

View Full Version : A louder Hindle

spyderdawg
07-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi!
I just had a new Hindle exhaust installed on my Spyder last week. I love the sound but would like just a bit more "noise." Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone "tweaked" their Hindle?

Thanks,
Spyderdawg

Jason
07-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi!
I just had a new Hindle exhaust installed on my Spyder last week. I love the sound but would like just a bit more "noise." Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone "tweaked" their Hindle?

Thanks,
Spyderdawg

Hey Spyderdawg,

I was speaking to a couple of guys at my dealer, and they made a mod to the Hindle they have on the owner's bike which gives it more of a bark. I've got the Hindle on mine as well, and theirs is definitely louder.

Basically, inside the output end of the exhaust pipe there is a baffle that is removeable if you remove the tack welding from the 4 "posts". I visually compared mine to theirs, and they definitely removed the baffle!

I'll try and take a picture of mine when I get home, and mark up the area i'm talking about and post it.

Jason

aubierules
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
u can always just take the muffler off:D

bjt
07-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey Spyderdawg,

I was speaking to a couple of guys at my dealer, and they made a mod to the Hindle they have on the owner's bike which gives it more of a bark. I've got the Hindle on mine as well, and theirs is definitely louder.

Basically, inside the output end of the exhaust pipe there is a baffle that is removeable if you remove the tack welding from the 4 "posts". I visually compared mine to theirs, and they definitely removed the baffle!

I'll try and take a picture of mine when I get home, and mark up the area i'm talking about and post it.

Jason

It might be a nice mod to convert the Hindle to have a screw in baffle. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/bad-idea-014.gif

SpydeeBite2
07-31-2008, 08:20 PM
an adjustable length screw in baffle. Good idea!:thumbup:

spyderdawg
07-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Thank you, I'd appreciate the picture! I like the sound of the Hindle, it's a definate improvement but I want the Spyder to have just a little more "bark" with its "bite"

Jason
08-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Thank you, I'd appreciate the picture! I like the sound of the Hindle, it's a definate improvement but I want the Spyder to have just a little more "bark" with its "bite"

Hey Spyderdawg,

Sorry about the delay in posting that picture. I've been away for the past week. Poor Spyder was probably getting lonely too! :(

Anyways, here's the pic:

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m390/Jason905/DSC_2694_markup.jpg

I *TRIED* with red circles to show where the dealer either removed the welds or clipped off the baffel. That center piece was removed on their Hindle, and that gave it a louder bark.

Good luck!

Jason

spyderdawg
08-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Thank you Jason! I appreciate your response!!! The picture is a big help!

tatt2r
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
how much more bark was exhaust with baffle removed

Jason
08-12-2008, 09:00 AM
how much more bark was exhaust with baffle removed

Hopefully I can get out to the dealer this weekend. I'll bring my digital camera with me and do a small video clip of the sound of my Spyder with the unmodified Hindle verses theirs with the baffle removed. Hopefully the owner's bike is there that day.

If its bright enough outside, I may be able to take a picture down the exhaust barrel of their hindle so everyone can see the difference.

Jason

SpyderDee
08-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Hopefully I can get out to the dealer this weekend. I'll bring my digital camera with me and do a small video clip of the sound of my Spyder with the unmodified Hindle verses theirs with the baffle removed. Hopefully the owner's bike is there that day.

If its bright enough outside, I may be able to take a picture down the exhaust barrel of their hindle so everyone can see the difference.

Jason

Hey Jason,
When you get to the dealership, ask them what they used to remove the tack welding from the four post if you don't mind. I was wondering. I am definately going to do a modification but I don't want to mess up my new exhaust! I really appreciate your help!

Spyderdawg

Jason
08-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Jason,
When you get to the dealership, ask them what they used to remove the tack welding from the four post if you don't mind. I was wondering. I am definately going to do a modification but I don't want to mess up my new exhaust! I really appreciate your help!

Spyderdawg

Hey Spyderdawg,

I wish I saw this post before I went there today, or I would have asked. ;) I just remember them saying they removed the tack welds. No idea how they did that though. The baffle is in there a ways.

I did manage to take a couple of pictures down the barrel of their hindle. Hopefully that gives you a good idea.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m390/Jason905/DSC00359.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m390/Jason905/DSC00360.jpg

I also took a couple of short video's to compare the sound of the Hindle on my Spyder (which is unmodified), and theirs. Unfortunately the quality is not the greatest. I took it with the video mode on my little Sony digital camera.

Here's the video of my Spyder with the Hindle.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Here's the video of the dealers' Spyder with the baffle removed from the Hindle.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Jason

steven888
08-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Jason, Where on you tube can we find your video of the bafflle removed from the hindle?

steven888
08-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow as soon as I sent you aquestion about the baffle you up loaded it. freaky and thanks.:clap:

spyderdawg
09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey Jason.
The next time you are at your dealership, please ask what they used to cut the tack welds out of the Hindle. If anyone knows, or cares to suggest, I would appreciate it!

'Dawg

kaiser
03-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone ever did figure out the best way to remove the baffel from the hindle?

bone crusher
03-20-2009, 11:29 PM
The baffle will do it...just remember that when all the states start passing noise ordinances, you'll get a ticket and you'll have to reduce the decibel level!

argh...

Firefly
03-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Buy the Race Airflow setup from Evoluzione - you get plenty more noise from the intake--- and it sounds SWEET - and runs better.

I run the race airflow, O2 mod, fuel pressure mod at 62PSI and the Hindle - and it ROCKS - sound and powerwise!

Buelldog
03-21-2009, 08:11 AM
The baffle will do it...just remember that when all the states start passing noise ordinances, you'll get a ticket and you'll have to reduce the decibel level!

argh...

I agree with Bone Crusher.......Excess Motorcycle Noise will cost us dearly ......the laws and noise ordinances are rapidly being agressively enforced with pretty much ZERO tolerance! Harley-Davidson is aware and extremely pro-active in discouraging their dealers from selling or installing straight pipes......they know the outrage from loud pipes is on the radar screen and is a serious issue of concern to them.Yes....West Virginia just past a noise ordinance,Martinsburg Area, ...........Motocross track too noisy for the residences.......May be forced out of business!
The AMA, American Motorcyclists Assn.fights for our rights....contact those folks and see just how concerned they are over the loss of Rider freedom based on excess Motorcycle Noise!!We are going to have to compromise on LOUD or we will all suffer the consequences!!:yikes:

NancysToy
03-21-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree with Bone Crusher.......Excess Motorcycle Noise will cost us dearly ......the laws and noise ordinances are rapidly being agressively enforced with pretty much ZERO tolerance! Harley-Davidson is aware and extremely pro-active in discouraging their dealers from selling or installing straight pipes......they know the outrage from loud pipes is on the radar screen and is a serious issue of concern to them.Yes....West Virginia just past a noise ordinance,Martinsburg Area, ...........Motocross track too noisy for the residences.......May be forced out of business!
The AMA, American Motorcyclists Assn.fights for our rights....contact those folks and see just how concerned they are over the loss of Rider freedom based on excess Motorcycle Noise!!We are going to have to compromise on LOUD or we will all suffer the consequences!!:yikes:
:agree: It's time we all learned to stroke our egos with the ride instead of the sound, or we will be outside looking in someday, with nothing but memories of motorcycles.
-Scotty

irish2themax
03-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Glad I read this post. I live in Martinsburg and was unaware of the new ordinance. Thank goodness I didn't modify my Hindle already!!

By the way, NoMagicNeon raised the price on their Hindle 33% from $300 to $400!!! NMN said that Hindle has ceased making mufflers for motorcycles, preferring to focus on the European car market, and dealers are taking advantage of the short supply.

bjt
03-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Glad I read this post. I live in Martinsburg and was unaware of the new ordinance. Thank goodness I didn't modify my Hindle already!!

By the way, NoMagicNeon raised the price on their Hindle 33% from $300 to $400!!! NMN said that Hindle has ceased making mufflers for motorcycles, preferring to focus on the European car market, and dealers are taking advantage of the short supply.

I think you mean Micron, not Hindle. Even at $400, its at least $100 less than most Hindles, more so if you buy from a dealer who won't discount as much.

bone crusher
03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
There is a dealer that can get you the hindle for $430.00 delivered...this, IMHO, is the way to go.

Another, more important point to consider is emissions testing. MD is going to start emission testing motorcycles...this will also make people change their pipes back to stock or near-stock...also eliminating noise (one of the driving factors behind the movement)...other states WILL follow...

Apparently, the hindle will pass emission tests in some states due to the baffle, but until we have proof of that, I won't rely on that (heard it from my dealer).

Anyway, too much noise is annoying...I agree that if you need that much noise, you're lacking something else...or at least soon you'll be lacking your own hearing!

I love the hindle as it's loud enough that people on the road will notice you (compared to stock) but not loud enough to shake the ground when at a light...it is also made for the bike and I like how it integrates easily.

To each their own...those who want to be different, paying the price in hearing loss and tickets and fines down the road (literally and figuratively) is up to you...

Enough said!

NancysToy
03-21-2009, 10:35 AM
...Apparently, the hindle will pass emission tests in some states due to the baffle, but until we have proof of that, I won't rely on that (heard it from my dealer). ...
I would doubt that, since it has no cat converter. I suspect he meant noise testing, which many places also conduct.
-Scotty

Trickie Dick
03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
How much louder(quieter) is the Hindle than the Motad Venom? I tried to compare on you tube and liked the Motad a little better but I am concerned about noise.:dontknow::dontknow:

docdoru
03-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Hindle: 89 db; 2 brothers double: 108 db; kewlmetal: 115 db
All measured @ 5 feet. Disclosure: results may vary greatly :read: :popcorn:

Degaman
03-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I love the hindle as it's loud enough that people on the road will notice you (compared to stock) but not loud enough to shake the ground when at a light...it is also made for the bike and I like how it integrates easily.

:agree: The hindle has just the right amount of sound without becoming an annoyance. Also agree that it looks like it belongs on the machine.

irish2themax
03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I think you mean Micron, not Hindle. Even at $400, its at least $100 less than most Hindles, more so if you buy from a dealer who won't discount as much.

You're right bjt....I meant the Micron which is what I'm having installed. Getting it through my dealer which reduces it by 15%.

I suffer from Irish Altsheimer's....we can't remember anything but the grudges.