PDA

View Full Version : Idle Adjust?

IdleUp
07-31-2008, 07:50 AM
While installing my BRP fog lights I ran across the engine idle screw - while it's blocked by the air-box, I could adjust it.

Just wondering if anyone lowered the idle speed to get rid of that embarrassing clunk when you put it in 1st gear. I'm at the point now where I'll only start the bike in gear to avoid the clunk!

ataDude
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
While installing my BRP fog lights I ran across the engine idle screw - while it's blocked by the air-box, I could adjust it.

Just wondering if anyone lowered the idle speed to get rid of that embarrassing clunk when you put it in 1st gear. I'm at the point now where I'll only start the bike in gear to avoid the clunk!

According to the book, that's just an adjustment for the throttle butterflies... to keep them from damaging the throttle bodies. The ECM (or whatever BRP calls it) still controls the idle speed.

IdleUp
07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
According to the book, that's just an adjustment for the throttle butterflies... to keep them from damaging the throttle bodies. The ECM (or whatever BRP calls it) still controls the idle speed.

Ok, it makes sense since on the SE5 I could feel the throttle increase and decrease during shifting, so it muct be controlled by the ECU like you said.

Thanks

sleepman
07-31-2008, 11:01 AM
that embarrassing clunk when you put it in 1st gear. I'm at the point now where I'll only start the bike in gear to avoid the clunk!

Have you had the "clunk" checked by your dealer? While I notice the "clunk" when putting mine in gear it is no different really then anything I've ever experienced with my other motorcycles.

IdleUp
07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Have you had the "clunk" checked by your dealer? While I notice the "clunk" when putting mine in gear it is no different really then anything I've ever experienced with my other motorcycles.

The clunk is totally expected from a bike idling 1500+ rpm when you put it in gear - most of my other bikes idle under 1000 rpm. Can't figure why they have the idle so high!

aubierules
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
The clunk is totally expected from a bike idling 1500+ rpm when you put it in gear - most of my other bikes idle under 1000 rpm. Can't figure why they have the idle so high!

maybe the engine requires the idle to be high to run...i had a ninja 250 and if u think the idle is high on the spyder, try the ninja

ataDude
07-31-2008, 02:05 PM
maybe the engine requires the idle to be high to run...i had a ninja 250 and if u think the idle is high on the spyder, try the ninja

I'm betting it has to do with the magneto's (it's not an alternator) output. It probably does not have sufficient output at 1,000 rpm or lower to maintain the battery charge.

aubierules
08-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm betting it has to do with the magneto's (it's not an alternator) output. It probably does not have sufficient output at 1,000 rpm or lower to maintain the battery charge.

could be:dontknow:

barb36jack31
08-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Mine clunks too when going into first, but the best "clunker" of all time was the /2 Beemer!

Jack H

aubierules
08-01-2008, 02:12 PM
YEAH..my ninja clunked in 1st too...but it also lurched forward

NancysToy
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Mine clunks too when going into first, but the best "clunker" of all time was the /2 Beemer!

Jack H
My Slash 5 is no better, nor is my R1100RT!
-Scotty

IdleUp
08-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Can't really see why the idel could not be lowered to around a 1000 rpm - Goldwing / rune and my Vrod idles at 750 eases right in 1st with no clunk.

I've found a workaround for it by putting it in 1st or rev before i start it. I also make sure I'm in first before I roll to a stop.