PDA

View Full Version : BRP Fog Light Easy Install!

IdleUp
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
BRP Fog Light Easy Install - I know a lot of riders like myself were discouraged to hear the major job of disassembling the entire front end to include the dash and console of the bike just to install two lousy fog lights – unlike other bikes like the Goldwing, where the wiring is already there, BRP must have been on drugs when some moron did the layout for these lights. The install is so screwed up that you even have to dump your existing light wire harness just to add a few lights.

Anyhow forget all the complexities that BRP managed to add to the install instructions, they must be trying to keep the dealers happy with all the un-needed disassembly. After looking over the machine for an hour, I decided there was no way I was going remove all that crap to install the lights – Anyhow I did the complete install and never removed the following: trunk nor any of its attaching hardware - horn wiring – temperature sensor wiring – trunk latch – instrument console – turn signal wiring – nor the removal the dash console as they recommended.

All that’s needed is to remove the upper side and center panels, next unplug the main light harness located above the latch – next unplug both the headlight light plugs (use a small tip screwdriver in the slot) remove the old harness, to avoid removing the console bracket - just cut the left plugs off the old harness to remove from the bike since it’s discarded anyhow.

Next, lay out the harness and plug it in to the main plug and route the wires to the right and left and plug them back into the headlights. Route both the fog light wires to the right and left sides of the bike – I used the existing wire clips that are in place for the temp sensor and horn to secure the fog light wires.
Next route the on/off switch wire to the left side of the console - drill the hole and install the switch and pin the plug as shown in the instructions. Tie-wrap the harness and 12v relay so it is secure and the wiring is complete.

The lights are easy to install – the fixtures are held on with two perm-nuts which slide in to the trunk support. You’ll need a short extension to tighten the bolts. The vents are removed from the right & left panels and replaced with the provided fog light panels. The panels are held in place with 6 spring clips on each side.

Finish the job by re-installing the upper and center trim panels and fog light covers. There you have it – easy install and you don’t have to unnecessarily tear the bike apart. The only thing that was painful was paying $399 for the lights, but overall these are well build and designed lights that match the quality of the headlights!

Sorry about no images – I didn’t bring my camera in to the shop today – if you have any questions just ask away!

Thanks Mike

BRPjunkie
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
It sounds like you have abandoned your $19 Walmart lights for the factory ones and decided it is worth the $380 difference. Can't argue with the fact that the factory ones look best, but like all BRP accessories, they are crazy expensive.

NancysToy
07-31-2008, 07:10 AM
I was looking things over, and had come to the same conclusion, that it was possible with the trunk intact. Thanks for testing the theory.
-Scotty

IdleUp
07-31-2008, 07:40 AM
I purchased the BRP lights first thinking I would just pull off a few panels and install them - so I afterwards picked up the Wal-Mart Special's. I figured I was stuck with the BRP lights so i went ahead and installed them.

The Wal-Mat lights looked pretty good except I had my concerns since all of know just how much movement there is on the A frames. I used the one bolt on the bottom with some 5 min JB Weld, I ran the wires up in the plastic cover to the trunk them to the fuse panel.

http://www.rcmodeling.com/canam/fog1.jpg

http://www.rcmodeling.com/canam/fog2.jpg