PDA

View Full Version : HID lights

spickus
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I found these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380050497829&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

I sent the seller an email:

At the top of your auction, it says "plug and play for BRP Spyder" but midway down the page, it asks me to choose the bulb (h1,h4,h7, etc). Is it truly plug and play? Do I have to cut any wires? Have you gotten any feed back from Spyder owners regarding errors from the on board computer? Thanks - Steve

To which he replied:

Yes its plug and play, but you must choose the H7 bulbs. The harness included with the kit will plug into where your old stock bulbs are pluged into now, so its also completely reversable. In the auction is a shopping cart feature, so you can choose your bulb and color. You do not need to use the shopping cart it you just "buy it now" on the auction, but please mention the bulb color in your payment notes if you do it that way. We have only done 2 additional kits on the Can-Am (since the bike is so new) and have not had any errors from the computer. We have sold over 650 motorcycle kits since January 2008 though. If you have any problems the kit is returnable for up to 30 days, and includes a 12 month warranty.

I know nothing about HID lights except that they are supposed to be brighter. Is this a good deal? It seems quite inexpensive compared to others I have looked at, especially BRP's. Are these good quality?

dltang
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
If they truly work and work well, it would be a good deal. Both my husband and I have HID's from NoMagicNeon and they are fantastic. They are brighter and whiter. We have the 8000k I think and they have a bit of a blue hue in the daylight and it is extremely noticeable. Evan has done extensive research and has a spyder himself. I trust him and he backs all the products he puts out. I would spend the extra money and check out his site at http://www.nomagicneon.com/. He is on this site often and his feedback and communication are invaluable. That is my .02 and humble opinion.

I found these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380050497829&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

I sent the seller an email:

At the top of your auction, it says "plug and play for BRP Spyder" but midway down the page, it asks me to choose the bulb (h1,h4,h7, etc). Is it truly plug and play? Do I have to cut any wires? Have you gotten any feed back from Spyder owners regarding errors from the on board computer? Thanks - Steve

To which he replied:

Yes its plug and play, but you must choose the H7 bulbs. The harness included with the kit will plug into where your old stock bulbs are pluged into now, so its also completely reversable. In the auction is a shopping cart feature, so you can choose your bulb and color. You do not need to use the shopping cart it you just "buy it now" on the auction, but please mention the bulb color in your payment notes if you do it that way. We have only done 2 additional kits on the Can-Am (since the bike is so new) and have not had any errors from the computer. We have sold over 650 motorcycle kits since January 2008 though. If you have any problems the kit is returnable for up to 30 days, and includes a 12 month warranty.

I know nothing about HID lights except that they are supposed to be brighter. Is this a good deal? It seems quite inexpensive compared to others I have looked at, especially BRP's. Are these good quality?

LaughingHeart
07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I agree. No Magic Neon is great!! Evan has created some great products for Spyder, and stands behind them. He is very responsive to customers.

Recluse
07-30-2008, 04:21 PM
If they work they will be a good deal? How about if they work they will be a great deal! Spickus, If you go this route, (and you should!) please keep us (me) updated/informed on how the purchase went, plug & play hook up, performance etc... If these folks are a real deal, those are a killer price. If they are, and when spyder is almost here, I'll go with em'
RR

bjt
07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
One more thing to consider. I don't see what the warranty is on those HIDs from the eBay seller. NoMagicNeon's warranty is 5 years on the ballasts and 1 year on the bulbs. That could cover the cost difference if those eBay HID ballasts burn out after 1 or 2 years and are out of warranty.

One way that manufacturers can make these ultra cheap items is to skimp on the components used to make the finished product. Then they offer a shorter warranty because they know there is a good chance the one of the components will fail earlier than what the customer might expect.

I have the NoMagicNeon HIDs and I love them. The warranty gives me piece of mind that I won't be spending big $$$ on replacing components for at least 5 years. I might have taken a chance on something like these eBay ones if I had known about them when I got the NMN HIDs but I would not have been surprised if they didn't last as long.

Recluse
07-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Star Rotors warranty is 30 day return/12 month parts. They don't beat NMN warranty by far! But still for the price I could buy 3 sets of SR vs 1 NMN. Really no bad feedback on SR or their HID kit. Don't know what to say on this. For the price of one, even with it's limited warranty, I feel it's still worth the chance by far. If noone here tries these guys HID out by the time my spyder arrives, I'll give them a shot. No disrespect to NMN or any of his other products intended. I will be buying a Trip-play from him in the near future.
RR

bjt
07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
But still for the price I could buy 3 sets of SR vs 1 NMN.

That's true but unless you have better luck at working on those Spyder headlight bulbs the way they are in such a tight space, you may think twice about just replacing them three times vs once.... :D :joke:

I do hope they work out for you as it would be great to have HIDs available at such a great price that everyone would get them. They are that much better than the stock headlights.

Recluse
07-30-2008, 08:20 PM
You know what they say, small gloves, small hands, small... well never mind! I won't have no problem working on the spyder. Been working on fighter jets going on 28+ years and none of them have beat me (at least to bad!) yet. You have to wonder about the price of like products sometimes. What is really going on inside "the Box" or "the bulb" or "the wireing" that makes it 2 - 3 times the price? Just wondering....
RR