PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tongue Weight

reneba
01-22-2014, 05:17 PM
I am setting op a trailer to carry my Spyder RT on long trips. Could you help me find the front and rear axle weights. Have talked to people from Sacramento Ca to BRP in Quebec Canada to no avail.

Thanks, Rene

Jeriatric
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
It's so close to 50/50 that it shouldn't be a problem. An inch or two when placing it on the trailer would offset any difference.

Sarge707
01-22-2014, 06:00 PM
If you Google Trailer tongue weights, you will find about 8-10% of the total trailer weight should be tongue weight.
My 500 Pound jet ski trailer is 50 pounds of tongue weight .

NancysToy
01-22-2014, 07:32 PM
The Spyder weight is actually biased more to the front...especially on the RS (and probably the ST). I figure the center of gravity is about at the rear of the front fenders, or maybe a bit more forward. I used that point to calculate my weight and locate my chocks on my trailer, and my tongue weight came out within 5 pounds of where I figured it should be. My recommendation is to load the trailer temporarily, then measure the tongue weight. Move the load if necessary until the tongue weight is 10% to 20% of the loaded trailer weight...15% is a good target. Too much tongue weight, within the towing vehicle and hitch capacity, isusually better than too little. Don't forget that the advertised weights of the Spyders (like most vehicles) are dry weights without cargo or added accessories. Don't be surprised if that 960 pound Spyder actually weighs 1,100 pounds or more, so when you load where you think you should and the tongue weight ends up higher than expected, don't be surprised.