PDA

View Full Version : bad service in Pa

beerman
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I bought my spyder from Mosites Powersports in Pa. First let me say I love the spyder however after the sale it is all down hill with these jokers. It took 4 phone calls to schedule the first service. Every time they said they would call me back but never did. When I originally brought it home I noticed the windshield cracking around the 2 bottom bolt holes from what appeared to being over torquing them at assembly. This took 3 calls with not calls back to me so when I went in for the first service they changed the windshield with one that looks like a beaver chewed on the edges. At this point I didn't even tell them since I am planning on switching it anyway. When I picked it up after the service I asked them if they changed the oring when they did the oil. They had know idea what I was talking about but said they did it by the book. I guess they read a different book than me.I had the parts man pull up the oil system diagram on his computer and showed the service manager and BRP trained mechanic the o-ring I was talking about. Next I asked for a 12volt outlet and they said they had one, well after 20 minutes of looking they didn't. He then asked if I would like him to order one so I could make the 70 mile round trip for a 20 dollar item. Yea right!! Finally When I loaded the spyder up after the service it was covered with big greasy fingerprints all over my 2 grand painted graphics. One more thing the brakes squeeled like a fire engine from the time I got it untill I fixed them myself, I did call them but they had no ides on how to fix them. The fix was crc brake kleen and crc disc brake quiet. Not a squeal since. Sorry to vent but with service like this Can-Am is going to have many problems. Beerman

SpydeeBite2
07-29-2008, 10:56 PM
You should let BRP know about this dealer as they may not meet BRP standards. Hope you have better luck in the future.

jimjel
07-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Sounds to me like BRP is signing up any dealer willing to take on the BRP line, and obviously is not providing any training to those dealerships. Bad business practice.

Stuart49
07-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Beerman:

Sorry to hear about your experiences at our closest PGH dealer. :agree:

See my e-mail msg, as I don't want to publicly burn any bridges with this crew. Mosites is a very large Can Am dealer so it was natural for them to become Spyder-enabled. But their customer service is a BIG problem.

We are actively exploring alternatives.

Stuart

captainryder
07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
I am wondering too if the marketing of these Spyder roadsters is all about the push for sales and not for the service that eventually everyone of us will have to get.

Aside from those on this website that have either (1) more experience than most at mechanics and (2) the time to tinker and fix, there are alot of us that will be relying on the service of our dealerships.

When I ordered my roadster, the closest dealer was 600 miles away in Denver, but now there are two dealers that are Can-Am sponsorships. When I introduced myself to each dealership on seperate visits one week, I asked two questions. "How many of these Spyder's have you sold? and "How many have you serviced?" The answer to the former got the obvious answer to the latter. When you sold only 1 or 2 roadsters; you haven't had anybody trained yet to service these machines. Both say they eventually will send somebody off to get trained. (I guess BRP has a workshop or course somewhere?)

Now it makes me wonder, when these things come in a big crate and they have to have the front end assembled before they sell it to you, did somebody forget a bolt here or there? :shocked:

bjt
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Those are valid concerns captainryder but I truly believe that a good mechanic is a good mechanic whether he has been trained to work on a certain machine or not. If a person is good at fixing motorcycles or ATVs, he is probably going to be good at working on the Spyder. It's not like everything on the Spyder is 'ground breaking' design or technology. I would dig a little deeper if possible to see how your local shop's service department performance is on the stuff that they have been working on regularly. If they do that well, I would trust them with my Spyder.

NancysToy
07-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Those are valid concerns captainryder but I truly believe that a good mechanic is a good mechanic whether he has been trained to work on a certain machine or not. If a person is good at fixing motorcycles or ATVs, he is probably going to be good at working on the Spyder. It's not like everything on the Spyder is 'ground breaking' design or technology. I would dig a little deeper if possible to see how your local shop's service department performance is on the stuff that they have been working on regularly. If they do that well, I would trust them with my Spyder.
:agree: I have always felt that a good mechanic could work on anything. That being said, there is a lot of technology involved these days, and some old codgers, like me, and some inexperiences youngsters, are going to have a hard time. I could build and tune a sixties top fuel car or build a Model A with my eyes closed, but don't ask me to explain or tune TPI fuel injection. Spyder dealers are supposed to send at least one tech to school, and our tech says there was a lot to learn. Maybe the question to ask is when are they going to school...or search for another dealer.
-Scotty

bjt
07-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Okay, let me then add...

Don't take your Spyder to the antique cycle shop to be repaired and avoid any dealerships with with high school shop class interns working in the service department. That should eliminate most old codgers and inexperienced youngsters. ;) :D :joke:

sleepman
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
For me even though I really trust my Indy and he did a lot of work on my previous Harley's I'll be taking the Spyder to the shop I bought it from. They impressed me with their service and knowledge. Since the Spyder is such a new item I think I'm gonna wait before I trust it's service to just anyone.

bjt
07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
For me even though I really trust my Indy and he did a lot of work on my previous Harley's I'll be taking the Spyder to the shop I bought it from. They impressed me with their service and knowledge. Since the Spyder is such a new item I think I'm gonna wait before I trust it's service to just anyone.

True, true. I guess I should have specified that I was talking about a Can-Am / BRP dealership service department and their experienced mechanics.

Stuart49
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
There are really two issues here:

The proper training to understand and service the technology embodied in this machine (plus the proper tools and spare parts).

Service people who are intelligent, respectful.

Beerman experienced neither.

speedster200
07-30-2008, 09:53 PM
BRP is not setting up every dealer in the country they are selected by BRP,and the territory manager. Check to see if the dealer is platinum certified. To be platinum certified the dealer has met criteria in service sales and parts. The platinum cert is renewed every year. BRP has on line training for the techs. The training module was recently released and it has to be taken by the tech.
I think it is by Sept 30.
Next time talk to the owner and enlighten him/her of your experience. If they blow you off then you need to ride to the next Spyder dealer. Actions like this are not tolerated at our dealership. We are only as good as our last impression.:chat: