PDA

View Full Version : New owner Questions on 2014 RTS

Nils888
01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
OK. I have 300 miles on the New RTS. I feel a shake in the handle bars above 60 MPH. Are the Spyders sensitive to tire balance??
I jacked the front end up and spun each front wheel. The right side looked pretty good. Left side did not look so round. Kinda looked like it had
a flat spot. I decided to go out and get the tires warmed up and recheck the tires. They both looked much better after warming up. I guess the flat spot when they sit over night. I check the tire pressure in the fronts it was 20psi.

Are the factory tires a good tire???? Or should I be looking for a better quality tire???

DrewNJ
01-20-2014, 09:33 PM
No more sensitive than anything else. Sounds like you got one where they either didn't balance them or have a bad tire\wheel.
I had this issue when i got screwed changing wheels. The tire shop just didnt balance them when switching things over to my new wheels. I only noticed the vibe at 60+ so it took a few days to realize. When it starts to vibrate look at your fenders. Which one looks like its going to fall off?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Nils888
01-20-2014, 09:54 PM
The left fender shakes more than the right.

DrewNJ
01-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Yea, sounds like balance. Head back to the dealer, they should be able to get it taken care of.

SpyderAnn01
01-20-2014, 10:32 PM
I have noticed a "harmonic vibration" on the 2014 RT at speeds of 75 and up. Others have reported the same thing. I didn't look to see if the tires have a lot of weights on them but they are at equal pressure

Nils888
01-20-2014, 11:02 PM
My right tire has a 5 inch long strip of weight. the left has one small weight.

Chupaca
01-20-2014, 11:08 PM
mounting and balancing is important and can cause these problems. Good idea to take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Usually if there are a lot of weights the tire was mounted wrong. Many times when the tire is on the rim but not seated it can move around on the rim.. :thumbup:

Nils888
01-20-2014, 11:39 PM
I will check tomorrow.

MouthPiece
01-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Although probably not the answer to your problem, make sure you get a laser alignment.

Chris

Nils888
01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Going to have the alignment done by the Squared away folks when they out here in February.

I am going to get the tire balance checked tomorrow.

DrewNJ
01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Are we going to see a motec powered RT in the future?

zbunker
01-22-2014, 10:27 PM
I have noticed a "harmonic vibration" on the 2014 RT at speeds of 75 and up. Others have reported the same thing. I didn't look to see if the tires have a lot of weights on them but they are at equal pressure

Hi,
You mention harmonic vibration as a symptom. I don't know, but doesn't that sound more like a belt tension issue? Although, sounds kind of early for the belt on a '14 to stretch, no?
Ron

Nils888
01-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Are we going to see a motec powered RT in the future?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk I am trying to keep from going there! The wife would kill me if I put a Motec ECU on our brand new toy . But the spyders have the same ECU as the watercraft:helpsmilie:. I can see it now!!! 9000 rpm turbo. :yes:

DrewNJ
01-22-2014, 10:55 PM
I am trying to keep from going there! The wife would kill me if I put a Motec ECU on our brand new toy . But the spyders have the same ECU as the watercraft:helpsmilie:. I can see it now!!! 9000 rpm turbo. :yes:

Hahaha......Its in your blood! And nobody would be able to do it any better than you! You know that.

Heck, its just an over glorified Spark ace motor, right....haha

Spyderdale
01-22-2014, 11:02 PM
OK. I have 300 miles on the New RTS. I feel a shake in the handle bars above 60 MPH. Are the Spyders sensitive to tire balance??
I jacked the front end up and spun each front wheel. The right side looked pretty good. Left side did not look so round. Kinda looked like it had
a flat spot. I decided to go out and get the tires warmed up and recheck the tires. They both looked much better after warming up. I guess the flat spot when they sit over night. I check the tire pressure in the fronts it was 20psi.

Are the factory tires a good tire???? Or should I be looking for a better quality tire??? I had a similar problem with my RT. Had the tires balanced three times ; still vibrated and shook. Turned out to be a bad tire. My dealer promptly changed it and now all is good.;)

Nils888
01-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Hahaha......Its in your blood! And nobody would be able to do it any better than you! You know that.

Heck, its just an over glorified Spark ace motor, right....haha

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using TapatalkIt would be cool to see if the put the ACE engine in the RS. Then I would interested.:yes:

Nils888
01-22-2014, 11:22 PM
I had a similar problem with my RT. Had the tires balanced three times ; still vibrated and shook. Turned out to be a bad tire. My dealer promptly changed it and now all is good.;)I have been looking for after market tires. All I have found in the states so far is Federal 595 EVO 165/55/15. Kumho has tires. But only in Japan.

Bob Denman
01-23-2014, 08:27 AM
:shocked:
Tire pressures
Tire balance
Alignment
Tire conditions (Could you have a busted belt within it?)

That's about where your choices lie. Eliminate them; one at a t ime...
Good Luck! :thumbup:

Nils888
01-23-2014, 10:12 AM
:shocked:
Tire pressures
Tire balance
Alignment
Tire conditions (Could you have a busted belt within it?)

That's about where your choices lie. Eliminate them; one at a t ime...
Good Luck! :thumbup:I am on it:D It would be a bummer if the tire or tires where bad. I have 300 miles on them so far.

Cruzr Joe
01-23-2014, 10:23 AM
I am on it:D It would be a bummer if the tire or tires where bad. I have 300 miles on them so far.

20 PSI might be a little too high on pressure, i ride at 16.5 - 17 Lbs, but be sure both tires are equally pressured. (some folks like higher pressure but more pressure means more Bounce.

Cruzr Joe

Nils888
01-23-2014, 10:33 AM
20 PSI might be a little too high on pressure, i ride at 16.5 - 17 Lbs, but be sure both tires are equally pressured. (some folks like higher pressure but more pressure means more Bounce.

Cruzr JoeThanks Joe. I will try the lower pressure.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-23-2014, 11:44 AM
I am on it:D It would be a bummer if the tire or tires where bad. I have 300 miles on them so far.
I forgot one... Check to make sure that the tires are seated properly on the rims too! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
01-23-2014, 04:33 PM
It is looking like a pre delivery drive at highway speeds is in order--just to be sure.

Nils888
01-23-2014, 05:30 PM
I went over to the tire shop with my wheels ant tires. The balance was not to far off. The bad part is the right wheel does not spin strait. Both tires are not very round.

ARtraveler
01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I went over to the tire shop with my wheels ant tires. The balance was not to far off. The bad part is the right wheel does not spin strait. Both tires are not very round.

It seems to be that the tires may be the culprit. With the new lower profile tires, did BRP get a batch of "bad" ones?

Sarge707
01-23-2014, 05:47 PM
It would be cool to see if the put the ACE engine in the RS. Then I would interested.:yes:

The 900 ACE in a RS might be interesting, light, easy to maintain and lots of torque!
Can,t wait to get my SD Spark this April!!!

Bob Denman
01-23-2014, 05:55 PM

The WHEEL?? :yikes: They can probably throw a set of wheels and tires from another bike on for you test double-check what has been found...
It certainly should be warranteed... and it should have been found by them; prior to delivery! :gaah:

Nils888
01-23-2014, 09:26 PM
The WHEEL?? :yikes: They can probably throw a set of wheels and tires from another bike on for you test double-check what has been found...
It certainly should be warranteed... and it should have been found by them; prior to delivery! :gaah: I called my dealer today and told him what I had found.
He has ordered me another wheel under warranty. He dose not have another spyder to take wheels off of. Sold all he had.

DrewNJ
01-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Good to hear the dealer is taking care of you. That's the first I've heard of a wheel that bad and the first complaint about the 15" tires.
The kendas aren't known for being the best tire but most people run them as originals until they are used up and then replace them with their favorite flavor

Nils888
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Good to hear the dealer is taking care of you. That's the first I've heard of a wheel that bad and the first complaint about the 15" tires.
The kendas aren't known for being the best tire but most people run them as originals until they are used up and then replace them with their favorite flavor

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk There is not a lot of choices for the 15" wheel.

NancysToy
01-23-2014, 10:40 PM
I called my dealer today and told him what I had found.
He has ordered me another wheel under warranty. He dose not have another spyder to take wheels off of. Sold all he had.
Was it the wheel or the tire that had the runout? If it was the wheel, a new one should cure it. If it was the tire, and the wheel actually ran true at the rim, then the tire could have been improperly seated, or it could be faulty. If that is the case the new wheel may not cure your problem. Let us know how things work out.

Nils888
01-24-2014, 01:40 AM
Was it the wheel or the tire that had the runout? If it was the wheel, a new one should cure it. If it was the tire, and the wheel actually ran true at the rim, then the tire could have been improperly seated, or it could be faulty. If that is the case the new wheel may not cure your problem. Let us know how things work out. On the right side it is the wheel. With the wheel on the bike and the front jacked up. when I spin the wheel and watch the inside it spins true. The outside of the wheel dose not. It almost looks like the wheel hit something really hard. But there is not a mark on it. The left side the tire is out of round.

NancysToy
01-24-2014, 03:01 PM
On the right side it is the wheel. With the wheel on the bike and the front jacked up. when I spin the wheel and watch the inside it spins true. The outside of the wheel dose not. It almost looks like the wheel hit something really hard. But there is not a mark on it. The left side the tire is out of round.

I'm afraid that does sound like road damage...and probably a damaged tire, too. A sidewall bulge is usually a sign of a damaged carcase and broken plies. If you did not hit a pothole or whatever, and it was that way from day one, it may be covered under warranty, but it could be a struggle depending on your dealer. Normally this is somthing for you or your comprehensive insurance to absorb. I'd replace both the tire and the wheel.

Nils888
02-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Got 500 miles on the new ride. I should be getting the new wheel next week. Ordered a sway bar from Ron, ELKA shocks from pit bull and
Laser alignment by Squared Away on the 22nd of February.:yes::yes:

Nils888
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Just got my Spyder back from the Dealer:ohyea: They installed a new front right wheel. All the shake in the handle bars is gone.:clap:
The guys at the dealer are nice people. They said the wheel was replaced under warranty. The wheel itself was not round.
Very happy with Jetworld in Castaic,ca.