PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Dealers GPS File Update

Wiredux
01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I have started work on updating the Garmin Spyder Dealer list. So far there have been a lot of changes. I actually have all of the phone numbers (this info was missing from the 2013 file). There have been some additions as well as some that have been removed from the list. The good news is that I am getting all of this updated with current information. Here is another addition plus. This file will have the current dealers in Canada as well. I know that this was requested last year and I did not have the time. I will post the file for all as soon as it is complete.

frankj64155
01-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks for putting this together for us.

Purple Guy
01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
:agree: Yes thank you! :thumbup:

Dan McNally
01-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks! The file on my Zumo 660 is, apparently corrupted, somehow. The nearest dealership to me has the correct address in the Garmin, but if I select it, the Garmin wants me to go the wrong direction!

Wiredux
01-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Not sure if that is the GPX file or your GPS.

NancysToy
01-15-2014, 10:00 PM
:clap: You will be enshined in the SpyderLovers Hall of Fame for this humanitarian act. We all thank you in advance. You are the greatest!

Papa
01-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Thank you for this effort. Greatly appreciated for the peace of mind it brings having that data available when on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pennyrick
01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Just wanted to let you all know that I have started work on updating the Garmin Spyder Dealer list. So far there have been a lot of changes. I actually have all of the phone numbers (this info was missing from the 2013 file). There have been some additions as well as some that have been removed from the list. The good news is that I am getting all of this updated with current information. Here is another addition plus. This file will have the current dealers in Canada as well. I know that this was requested last year and I did not have the time. I will post the file for all as soon as it is complete.

This is fantastic. We tried to find a dealer shown on my 660 while on our trip last year only detour twenty miles out of our way to find the dealership had closed three year's before.

Will this be in a format I can download to my I Mac and then transfer to the 660 on my RT Limited? Can it update the present file or is there some way to delete it?

Wiredux
01-16-2014, 08:56 PM
It will be a GPX file. One of the things this file is going to have is the phone number for the dealer. You can always call them to see if they are closed before you head there.

Dan McNally
01-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Not sure if that is the GPX file or your GPS.

If I manually enter the same address that the list of dealers in the Garmin has, it provides the correct directions . . . it only gives the wrong directions if I select that dealer from the list of CanAm dealers . . . that would indicate to me that the file is bad . . . why would you think it is my Garmin?

Wiredux
01-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Please PM me the dealer info. I take it you are using the dealer list from my site?

Dan McNally
01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Please PM me the dealer info. I take it you are using the dealer list from my site?

No . . . I have the list that came on the Garmin in June, when I bought my Spyder . . . and am hoping your list will correct that problem.

Wiredux
01-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Oh ok. Had me worried there. I hope it fixes the issue for you as well.

Wiredux
01-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Ok. The Can-Am Spyder Dealers list is complete.

You can get it here:

http://spyderblog.com/gps/Can-Am%20Dealers.GPX

lyonsden
01-17-2014, 02:18 PM

You can get it here:

Can-Am Spyder Dealer GPX File for Garmin GPS (http://www.wiredux.com/spyder-dealers.gpx)That looks great! I will load it into my Garmin. Would it be ok if I use your updated list to update my site www.spyderhelp.com (http://www.spyderhelp.com) ?

Wiredux
01-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Sure.

wyliec
01-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know if we have to manually remove the existing gpx file we may for the older list? Or, do we just download the new file and it's automatically treated as an update?

By the way, thank you for all your work Wiredux.

Wiredux
01-17-2014, 03:14 PM
I would back up your other one and rename the new one to match the old.

Larry rt
01-17-2014, 05:12 PM
You are not going to believe this ! I clicked the link on my I phone and it downloaded to my motion x gps ap (: it list all the dealers in alphabetical order . When I click on a dealer it locates it on my gps ap as way points . Downside it doesn't give me phone number or state

Papa
01-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Can we use this forum to send you updates? I'd so, Jim Potts Motor Group in Woodstock Il telephone number should be 815 338-0640

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Wiredux
01-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Can we use this forum to send you updates? I'd so, Jim Potts Motor Group in Woodstock Il telephone number should be 815 338-0640

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Ill take a look. There is a spot going on wiredux.com for just things like that.

billybovine
01-17-2014, 10:39 PM
I really appreciate the work you put into this. Installed into my 660 and my dealer that got my Spyder from is on there. So far so good. I forgot to delete the dealer list from the factory. Oh well next time. It's too bad we can't replace the original dealer file and keep the nice "Y ​SPYDER DEALERS" icon.

spyderbirds
01-18-2014, 11:33 AM

You can get it here:

Can-Am Spyder Dealer GPX File for Garmin GPS (http://www.wiredux.com/spyder-dealers.gpx)

Many Thanks for this endeavor!! :clap: :bowdown: :thumbup:

billybovine
01-18-2014, 01:18 PM
I double checked my handy work this morning and found that none of the address and telephone number information was there. I have now found out the the problem is a bug with an older version of Garmin POI Loader program I was using. I downloaded, installed the latest version from Garmin and reloaded the file. Problem solved. So I recommend getting the latest version of POI Loader.

Knarfoh
01-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I have started work on updating the Garmin Spyder Dealer list.
I once put together a (much smaller) list of waypoints for a state park here in Ohio and I know how time consuming that can be. This is certainly a much larger list. KUDOS! Your efforts are appreciated!

P.S. I live in the Columbus, Ohio area and I noticed one of the local Spyder dealers is missing, i.e. Ask Powersports 2450 Park Crescent Dr, Columbus, OH ‎ (614) 759-9300. You have the other 2 affiliated dealerships (they are in Columbus and Lancaster) but this one was not on your list. They are all owned by the same folks and have been in this market for a zillion years. The name ASK is actually derived from their original dealership name Akers Suzuki-Kawasaki Motorcycles from eons ago when that is all they sold.

Wiredux
01-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Please shoot me a PM with updates and such. That way I can always find it.

SpydermanCT
02-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Help.

I downloaded Garmin's current POI installer. I downloaded this dealer list onto my Garmin 660 but I'll be darned if I can find it. Not under POI's, not under any other tab. I rebooted (multiple times) downloaded again yet my Garmin says that the file already exist and would I like to overwrite it? I did, still can't find the dealer list! Thoughts?

:banghead:

Wiredux
02-05-2014, 07:37 PM
You can import the way points with Garmin Base Camp. The GPX file is not a POI type file.

MouthPiece
02-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Look in "Where to", then "Extras", then "Custom POIs, then "All Catagories" and "All catagories" again, and see if it might be in there. That's where mine is.

Edit: I also noticed that if I look in "Where to", then "Favorites", then "Can-Am Dealers GPX", I find a whole lot of them there.

Chris

billybovine
02-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Help.

I downloaded Garmin's current POI installer. I downloaded this dealer list onto my Garmin 660 but I'll be darned if I can find it. Not under POI's, not under any other tab. I rebooted (multiple times) downloaded again yet my Garmin says that the file already exist and would I like to overwrite it? I did, still can't find the dealer list! Thoughts?

:banghead:

From your explanation I am not sure at what steps you are going wrong or not. So here are the steps.
Download the POI Installer software from Garmin and install into your computer. Only needs to be done the first time.
Download the file and then move it to a folder on your computer not on the Garmin. (spyder-dealer.gpx file in this case plus any of the hundreds of other files that are available and in most cases free, go in this same folder.)
Plug your Garmin into the computer with a usb cable.
Run the POI installer.
Save Options choose Garmin device. Next
Wait until it finds your device. Next
Choose, Install new custom POI,s on your device. Next
Browse to the folder that holds the file on your computer? Then choose a name for the for the POI file. Next
If it give you a warning to overwrite your file choose yes.
Wait until the installer is finished? Finished
Pull the usb plug from the back of Garmin. If it is a Zumo, put the door back on. Wait until it reboots.
Choose menu, Where to?
Choose menu, Extras.
Choose menu Custom POI
There is your Spyder Dealers list.

SpyderLady
02-14-2014, 05:29 PM
From your explanation I am not sure at what steps you are going wrong or not. So here are the steps.
Download the POI Installer software from Garmin and install into your computer. Only needs to be done the first time.
Download the file and then move it to a folder on your computer not on the Garmin. (spyder-dealer.gpx file in this case plus any of the hundreds of other files that are available and in most cases free, go in this same folder.)
Plug your Garmin into the computer with a usb cable.
Run the POI installer.
Save Options choose Garmin device. Next
Wait until it finds your device. Next
Choose, Install new custom POI,s on your device. Next
Browse to the folder that holds the file on your computer? Then choose a name for the for the POI file. Next
If it give you a warning to overwrite your file choose yes.
Wait until the installer is finished? Finished
Pull the usb plug from the back of Garmin. If it is a Zumo, put the door back on. Wait until it reboots.
Choose menu, Where to?
Choose menu, Extras.
Choose menu Custom POI
There is your Spyder Dealers list.

Okay, I cannot find the "Run POI installer". I have updated my Garmin with the Garmin updater on my computer and I even put the file in the GPX folder in the Garmin and I can't see it. Please help.... If I could find the Run POI Installer that would probably work. Where is it? :_((

Papa
02-14-2014, 05:32 PM
If you copied it to the GPX files it should show up under favorites as Can-Am Dealers. Take a look there

billybovine
02-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Okay, I cannot find the "Run POI installer". I have updated my Garmin with the Garmin updater on my computer and I even put the file in the GPX folder in the Garmin and I can't see it. Please help.... If I could find the Run POI Installer that would probably work. Where is it? :_((

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-12

Go to the link above and download the correct POI loader (Windows or Mac)
After it's downloaded run the installer. On a windows computer it will be in the download folder. Mac not sure.

thehawk
02-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Mac also puts it in the "Downloads" folder. But since it's not from the App Store, you'll have to go to "security settings" in system preferences and allow it to install.

thehawk

PS. Don't forget to turn the security settings back on!!

KyPadre
03-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks so much for the hard work. I would love to download the Garmin Dealers File, but when I use the link you provided, I get the message that is is not available/changed, etc. It takes me to the site but no file that I can find. :banghead: Has it been removed?

NZSpyderRyder
03-27-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm in New Zealand so don't need the list that came with my Garmin Zummo 660, how can I delete it ? or should I just leave it in there ?

billybovine
03-28-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm in New Zealand so don't need the list that came with my Garmin Zummo 660, how can I delete it ? or should I just leave it in there ?

Plug your Garmin into a computer using a usb cable to get access to files on it. Open the "Garmin" folder, open the "POI" folder and there should be a file called "oempoi.gpi" rename it to "oempoi.gp0". The Dealer List will no longer appear.

Wiredux
03-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Sorry. It did move. I have placed it here:

http://spyderblog.com/gps/Can-Am%20Dealers.GPX

NZSpyderRyder
03-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Plug your Garmin into a computer using a usb cable to get access to files on it. Open the "Garmin" folder, open the "POI" folder and there should be a file called "oempoi.gpi" rename it to "oempoi.gp0". The Dealer List will no longer appear.

Thanks for that, all sorted.

mastertek2000
04-06-2014, 04:30 AM
thanks Wiredux for your time on this

dano
04-06-2014, 05:56 AM
thanks Wiredux for your time on this

:agree:

dano
04-06-2014, 07:29 AM
I really appreciate the work you put into this. Installed into my 660 and my dealer that got my Spyder from is on there. So far so good. I forgot to delete the dealer list from the factory. Oh well next time. It's too bad we can't replace the original dealer file and keep the nice "Y ​SPYDER DEALERS" icon.

You can! Check this post.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64874-New-dealer-list-for-Garmin-GPS

Dano

CruiseRT
04-06-2014, 07:55 AM

What if you used the POI Loader program to convert the new GPX file to a GPI file and renamed and replaced the original oempoi.gpi with the newly created file?
Would the new list not show up where the old list is on the gps?

billybovine
04-06-2014, 11:01 AM
You can! Check this post.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64874-New-dealer-list-for-Garmin-GPS

Dano

Thanks for the link to the file I created. :shocked::roflblack:

billybovine
04-06-2014, 11:11 AM
What if you used the POI Loader program to convert the new GPX file to a GPI file and renamed and replaced the original oempoi.gpi with the newly created file?
Would the new list not show up where the old list is on the gps?

Nope! If you copy the .gpx file to the garmin the data will appear under "Where To/Favourites" If you convert it to a .gpi file, using poi loader, the data will appear under "Where To/Extras" The only part of the file name that is important is the extension. If you wish to get updated dealer list but have it appear the same way as the oempoi.gpi file then go to my thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64874-New-dealer-list-for-Garmin-GPS. In it I have created a .gpi file using the data from wiredux that does that.

CruiseRT
04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Nope! If you copy the .gpx file to the garmin the data will appear under "Where To/Favourites" If you convert it to a .gpi file, using poi loader, the data will appear under "Where To/Extras" The only part of the file name that is important is the extension. If you wish to get updated dealer list but have it appear the same way as the oempoi.gpi file then go to my thread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64874-New-dealer-list-for-Garmin-GPS. In it I have created a .gpi file using the data from wiredux that does that.

You are right, I did try it. How did you get it to work, did you edit the original gpi file in order for it to keep the shortcut? I have not found any information on how to add the shortcut to the POI file. Thanks for the file.

Wiredux
04-06-2014, 09:49 PM
The shortcut is part of the Can-Am GPS.

billybovine
04-07-2014, 08:30 AM
You are right, I did try it. How did you get it to work, did you edit the original gpi file in order for it to keep the shortcut? I have not found any information on how to add the shortcut to the POI file. Thanks for the file.

I found software that created the file. I had to create a new "Y Facture icon" and taking the new dealer data, the software generated what you see.

CruiseRT
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
I found software that created the file. I had to create a new "Y Facture icon" and taking the new dealer data, the software generated what you see.

Thanks for the file. The software you used must be rare, I have looked all over the internet and have not come up with anything that will do it.

billybovine
04-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the file. The software you used must be rare, I have looked all over the internet and have not come up with anything that will do it.

I used this. http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor

The function for creating .gpi files is not well covered in the instructions and I got help from folks on POI Factory. You can see my threads there. I use the same screen name on that site.

CruiseRT
04-07-2014, 11:30 AM
I used this. http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor

The function for creating .gpi files is not well covered in the instructions and I got help from folks on POI Factory. You can see my threads there. I use the same screen name on that site.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It would be good to add shortcuts to POI files.

Spyder_Cowgirl
06-07-2016, 12:47 PM
None of the links in this thread work to download the updated GPS dealers list. Wiredux, are you still keeping this up to date and available? Either way (yes or no), where might I find the last file you produced? As it has been at least 2 years since my last update, I am hoping I can get a more recent copy.

Thanks .... Ann

billybovine
06-07-2016, 01:18 PM
None of the links in this thread work to download the updated GPS dealers list. Wiredux, are you still keeping this up to date and available? Either way (yes or no), where might I find the last file you produced? As it has been at least 2 years since my last update, I am hoping I can get a more recent copy.

Thanks .... Ann

Go to BRP.com/spyders. Then choose owners. Then chose GPS Update. Follow the instructions there. BRP last updated this sometime late last summer.

Spyder_Cowgirl
06-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Go to BRP.com/spyders. Then choose owners. Then chose GPS Update. Follow the instructions there. BRP last updated this sometime late last summer.

Sigh ....:mad: ... the GPS download is broken as it will only display the file; this is useless for download purposes. Guess I will report and see what happens.

Thanks anyway .... Ann

DriftersWay
06-07-2016, 02:01 PM
I tried that. The file will open but does not down load.
I sent message to BRP about it.

billybovine
06-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Sigh ....:mad: ... the GPS download is broken as it will only display the file; this is useless for download purposes. Guess I will report and see what happens.

Thanks anyway .... Ann

Did you follow the instructions on the page for your GPS? It should not display anything. When you click download it should download to your download folder or somewhere in your computer. Then copy this file to your garmin following the instructions on the BRP web page.

Here is a link to the file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zqe1BG3lbqRlRaUGpjWVFjX1U/view?usp=sharing

Here are the instructions from BRP's web page for the 660. The only thing I would like to add is you need to delete the previous .gpi dealer file.

INSTRUCTIONS

Instructions for uploading the database to a Garmin Spyder zumo 660 using Microsoft Windows.

1. Connect the GPS via the USB cable to an open USB port on your computer. Turn on the GPS unit.

2. If your computer asks for a driver, please download and install the USB driver from Garmin's website at www.garmin.com (http://www.garmin.com). The driver can be found by selecting "Software" from the "Support" menu and then selecting "Additional Software" and "USB Drivers".

3. Once the computer recognizes your GPS device, a new window should pop up showing the GPS storage drive. If no window pops up, simply double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and double click on the drive displaying "Garmin zumo".

4. Within the "Garmin zumo" drive, open the "Garmin" folder.

5. Within the "Garmin" folder, open the "Poi" folder. This is where the updated database will be copied.

6. Locate the downloaded dealer database file (example, "D2245000B.gpi"). Highlight the file, and select Edit > Copy.

7. Go back to the "Poi" folder within the GPS unit's drive and paste the database file by selcting Edit > Paste. (Note: You can also drag and drop files to and from your drives.)

8. Within the "Poi" folder, delete any older dealer poi files with the same root name ("D2245000..."). Do not delete other gpi files.

9. Safely remove the GPS device from your computer.

The dealer database for the Garmin zumo 660 has now been updated.

If you experience difficulty loading the database to your Garmin device or for any additional help with this process, please visit the "Data Management" and "Troubleshooting" sections in the GPS unit's owner's manual.

billybovine
06-07-2016, 03:34 PM
I tried that. The file will open but does not down load.
I sent message to BRP about it.

You are not suppose to open the file.

DriftersWay
06-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the file. Got it now

Spyder_Cowgirl
06-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Did you follow the instructions on the page for your GPS? It should not display anything. When you click download it should download to your download folder or somewhere in your computer. Then copy this file to your garmin following the instructions on the BRP web page.

I don't have any choice in what the download link does .... click "download" and the file opens. BRP has a broken download link, now reported by at least two of us. I will, in the meantime, use your link -- thank you.

Ann

trobbins27
06-08-2016, 10:20 AM
I don't have any choice in what the download link does .... click "download" and the file opens. BRP has a broken download link, now reported by at least two of us. I will, in the meantime, use your link -- thank you.

Ann

Are you trying to open the file after you click to download it? As stated before you are not suppose to do anything with the file other than download it onto your computer. For example, mine went to my download folder, I am using windows 7 on my PC. What browser are you using to download the file? For example for me I use Google Chrome... and the file displays at the bottom left corner of my screen with the progress circle that it is downloading... when the download is finished the circle flashes that it is done. I think you might be confusing this display as something else you need to click... by the file displaying this shows that it is actually downloading to your PC, you don't actually do anything with it. When done just search your download folder or your desktop perhaps for the file. After that it is just a matter of following the instructions on the BRP website based on which Garmin unit you have. It's a simple copy and paste of the new file into the appropriate garmin folder on your PC with the actual GPS unit connected to your computer via USB cable. You don't open the actual updated file or do anything else with it. Hope that helps...

billybovine
06-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Are you trying to open the file after you click to download it? As stated before you are not suppose to do anything with the file other than download it onto your computer. For example, mine went to my download folder, I am using windows 7 on my PC. After that it is just a matter of following the instructions on the BRP website based on which Garmin unit you have. It's a simple copy and paste of the new file into the appropriate garmin folder on your PC with the actual GPS unit connected to your computer via USB cable. You don't open the actual updated file or do anything else with it. Hope that helps...

I think they got it. The link appears to be broken on the US site. The link I posted, I downloaded from the Canadian site and it appears to work correctly.

Wiredux
06-08-2016, 11:43 AM
BRP took over updating the list and you can get it directly from the BRP site:

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/dealer-database-update.html