PDA

View Full Version : First (?) Supertrapp exhaust.....

ataDude
07-27-2008, 09:32 PM
.... see below post.

ataDude
08-15-2008, 06:36 PM
The Supertrapp is painted and complete. Also new, final pics are included. See:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43267&postcount=42

Bimjo
08-15-2008, 07:24 PM
That really looks good with the new end cap. What temp paint did you end up with?

ataDude
08-15-2008, 07:25 PM
That really looks good with the new end cap. What temp paint did you end up with?

Thanks. It sounds good, too.

1200* (with ceramic) was the highest I could find locally. And, only in flat, not gloss. :(

This time I read the instructions and let it "set" for three days before using it. :opps:

bjt
08-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Man that looks sharp ataDude. If I didn't have the Hindle and was looking for an aftermarket pipe, that would be my first choice. I hope the 1200 degree paint works out for you.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-020.gif I wonder what that would look like on a silver Spyder? ;) ;) :D

ataDude
08-15-2008, 07:47 PM
...http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-020.gif I wonder what that would look like on a silver Spyder? ;) ;) :D

Ah, shucks... you noticed. :2thumbs:

AMTJIM
08-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Looks cool, post a sound byte! Just from being around stainless steel, I'd go back in and install a large diameter washer on the inner and outer wall.

ataDude
08-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Looks cool, post a sound byte! Just from being around stainless steel, I'd go back in and install a large diameter washer on the inner and outer wall.

Are you talking about where I pierced the muffler walls with the mounting bolt? If so, there are already fender washers and lock washers there... as well as a half a bottle of Loc-Tite and a self-locking nut. Other than tack welding it, it's about as secure as it can get. :D

AMTJIM
08-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes, at the drilled hole. Keep an eye on the, you would need to contour it to fit of course, but stainless loves to crack. Your set-up looks very clean, but since you didn't use a clamp, a 1.25 to 1.5 inch washer should displace the tension over a large enough area. I think I may try your method, keep us updated.

ataDude
08-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Yes, at the drilled hole. Keep an eye on the, you would need to contour it to fit of course, but stainless loves to crack. Your set-up looks very clean, but since you didn't use a clamp, a 1.25 to 1.5 inch washer should displace the tension over a large enough area. I think I may try your method, keep us updated.

Well, I did about 300 miles today, some a little fast (use your imagination) on the farm roads of North Texas. The paint is just dandy and the mount is still secure. However, I will be removing two discs... seven is too loud at WOT.

BTW, August in Texas... didn't hit 80* until about 3 pm. Global cooling. :clap:

AMTJIM
08-16-2008, 11:20 PM
I did say sound byte didn't I?

ataDude
08-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I did say sound byte didn't I?

Don't have a way to do that. Sorry.

ataDude
08-17-2008, 03:06 PM

What you said just soaked in. I'm a little slow, apparently. :sour:

The black, $141 Supertrapp is not stainless... there is a polished stainless available... same size.

I bought the cheap, mild steel one in case I had to weld... plus, at $141 shipped, if it became a throw-a-way, I wouldn't feel bad. I don't have the equipment to weld SS.

In fact, I bought two for about the price of one SS... thus the next project. :thumbup:

deanarm
08-18-2008, 12:41 AM
I installed the same exhaust this weekend and I really like it. Had a micron on before and it was a little to loud. The bike seems to run smoother through all RPM's but then my seat of the pants dyno may not be to accurate. Thanks for doing this mod.

AMTJIM
08-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Could this be the re-emergence of Supertrapp and Kerker? Will the king of the '80s rise to rule again? Will overpriced exhaust manufacturers drop off the face of the earth like so many designers jeans companies...probably not.

ataDude
08-18-2008, 09:55 AM
I installed the same exhaust this weekend and I really like it. Had a micron on before and it was a little to loud. The bike seems to run smoother through all RPM's but then my seat of the pants dyno may not be to accurate. Thanks for doing this mod.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

How many discs did you wind up with? I went from seven back down to five over the weekend. Seven was somewhat annoying on the highway.

ataDude
08-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Could this be the re-emergence of Supertrapp and Kerker? Will the king of the '80s rise to rule again? Will overpriced exhaust manufacturers drop off the face of the earth like so many designers jeans companies...probably not.

:D :D :D :D

deanarm
08-19-2008, 04:11 AM
I have 5 that is enough noise for these old ears.