PDA

View Full Version : BAd Key Error Message

Kushlabum
01-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Can the transponder chips in the keys go bad? My wife has a 2010 spyder and over the weekend we were going to take a short ride, but when she tried to crank the bike it kept giving her a bad key message even though she was using the keys that were given to her when she bought the bike. Tried both keys and same message with both. Is there anything I can do? Thanks for any help in advance.

Kushlabum

cuznjohn
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
sounds like the part that reads the key could of went bad

Chupaca
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
sometimes removing the keys and walking away from the roadster will reset things. Check that all fueses and relays are well seated. This may be a problem with the (DESS) system. Hope it just needs a reset..!! :dontknow:

Bob Denman
01-14-2014, 01:40 PM
:agree: It's in the D.E.S.S I'd call the dealer to see what they suggest...
After you take the keys out, and walk them out of range for a little bit.
Good luck; please let us know what happens next! :thumbup:

sabunim5
01-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Had that problem once. As others have said. Make sure there is no key within 30 to 50 yards of the bike and try again. Worked for me. Good Luck :thumbup:

billybovine
01-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Yes the transponder chip can go bad, but 2 going bad at the same time is highly unlikely. Taking the key out and walking away for a while causes no harm but is basically a useless thing to do. The the range is about 1 inch max. It could be a defective antenna. It is press fit around the ignition switch. Bad connection between the harness and the antenna. Bad connection between the harness and the DESS unit. Could be a defective DESS unit.

Was there any work done to the Spyder recently? Like take the handle bars off.

If you are good at taking things apart and putting them back together I would suggest checking the harness connections. If the wires came apart during the last ride, nothing would happen until you tried to start it. The only time it looks for the chip is at startup. So that possibility fits. If it is under warranty and sure you're not responsible for the problem let the dealer fix it.