PDA

View Full Version : Rock protection film

Flamewinger
01-14-2014, 01:59 AM
Just found a rock impact that hit my left mirror and cracked the turn signal lens, and I was wondering if there's anything out there like rock protection film that we can stick to the headlight and turn signals?

Thanks

81690 81691

Chupaca
01-14-2014, 02:14 AM
but don't think protection film could have helped with that. You can check with our sponsor spyderwraps for film or many auto parts shops..they have film to protect from abrasive damage from road dirt and sand and small pebbles. See if you can fill in the chip with some clear epoxy...:thumbup:

NancysToy
01-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Contact your insurance company. That should be covered by your comprehensive. The turn signal portion of the mirror itself costs over $150, and you are better off having the dealer replace it, in case he breaks the mirror cover in the process. Total cost is likely to be over $250.

rcturner
01-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Just found a rock impact that hit my left mirror and cracked the turn signal lens, and I was wondering if there's anything out there like rock protection film that we can stick to the headlight and turn signals

There are companies that make film to put over headlights, signals, etc. My BMW friends used to have it on their bikes all the time. However, i agree that this may not have been prevented by film. It looks like a pretty hard hit.

NetJunkie
01-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I have a clear bra on my Grand Cherokee that covers the front of the vehicle and the lights and mirrors. It's good, but it wouldn't have stopped that. It's a film so it does provide a buffer for rocks but not for a hit that hard.

spyderdmb1621
01-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Road wrap google it

Bob Denman
01-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Contact your insurance company. That should be covered by your comprehensive. The turn signal portion of the mirror itself costs over $150, and you are better off having the dealer replace it, in case he breaks the mirror cover in the process. Total cost is likely to be over $250.

:agree:...keeping in mind that it still may not meet your deductible... :shocked:

It's worth a call! :thumbup:

Spyder Wraps Pete
01-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Hello,
Sorry to hear about the damage. I wanted you to know that we offer the Paint Protection film for Spyders.
Currently we offer the pre-cut panels for the painted parts of the ST, RT, RS, RSS, GS models but it can be purchased in bulk and trimmed to fit
before application on the lenses.

Our paint protection film is 8 mil thick and quite easy to apply in comparison to some other films on the market.
The nice thing for the Spyders is we offer these as pre-cut panels so you have no trimming as you apply it. This
product is used primarily to prevent stone chips on painted parts but also help to act as a paint preservative from
the effects of road grime, bugs and other damaging elements that are thrown at the bike as you go down the road.

We offer the product as ala-cart so you can choose what parts of the machine you want the film applied on.
We highly recommend doing the lower air-dam & fenders of the RT, ST machines since their parts are painted
and close to the ground and face direct front. We have had customers order every panel we offer and cover
the complete bikes with the film.

We would be happy to help any member get a kit that fits their needs & gives them piece of mind when they ride.

Hope this information helps..

Pete Ameno
814-838-6377

See this link for example (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=342775559154610&set=pb.267141616718005.-2207520000.1389797965.&type=3&theater)
Paint protection schematic for RT Spyder (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2927&attachmentid=71387) (click text)
Paint protection schematic for ST Spyder (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2859)

Kit also available for RS, RSS, GS machines

rcturner
01-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Here is a link to headlight film. http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

You might try a windshield repair kit and see if that would make it good enough so that you don't need to replace the signal.