PDA

View Full Version : Retirement advice needed

Biosafena
01-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I couldn't help but notice the number of folks on here that list themselves as retired. Congratulations to all of you! Here is where I am at: I will be able to retire in 2 years if I want to. I will have a total of 28 years in as a government employee and will receive a pension check each month. I will also be eligible for health insurance under my pension plan. I have seen too many people that either stayed and died on the job or stayed way too long and then died shortly after they finally hung it up. I don't want to be one of those people. I am still young and want to do new things. My questions are as follows:
- Are the any surprises that right after you retired you were faced with? I don't like surprises :)
- Is it right to be scared about leaving a steady job that you have had for more than a quarter of a century?
- I am worried that my hobbies and interests will cost more since I will have more to to devote to them. Has anyone found is to be true?
- Any other tips, tricks, do's or dont's that anyone is willing to offer will be most welcome.
Two years seems like a long time, but I think it will be here before I know it and I want to make a sound decision when the time comes. Thanks in advance to all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan McNally
01-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I couldn't help but notice the number of folks on here that list themselves as retired. Congratulations to all of you! Here is where I am at: I will be able to retire in 2 years if I want to. I will have a total of 28 years in as a government employee and will receive a pension check each month. I will also be eligible for health insurance under my pension plan. I have seen too many people that either stayed and died on the job or stayed way too long and then died shortly after they finally hung it up. I don't want to be one of those people. I am still young and want to do new things. My questions are as follows:
- Are the any surprises that right after you retired you were faced with? I don't like surprises :)
- Is it right to be scared about leaving a steady job that you have had for more than a quarter of a century?
- I am worried that my hobbies and interests will cost more since I will have more to to devote to them. Has anyone found is to be true?
- Any other tips, tricks, do's or dont's that anyone is willing to offer will be most welcome.
Two years seems like a long time, but I think it will be here before I know it and I want to make a sound decision when the time comes. Thanks in advance to all.

The answer to all your question is: "It depends."
Are the any surprises that right after you retired you were faced with? I don't like surprises :) Maybe, maybe not . . . it depends.
- Is it right to be scared about leaving a steady job that you have had for more than a quarter of a century? That depends on you - some folks are ready and some aren't.
- I am worried that my hobbies and interests will cost more since I will have more to to devote to them. Has anyone found is to be true? It depends . . . can you stick to a budget?

You don't say how old you are or what savings you have . . . I worked full time from the summer between my junior and senior year of high school, until I was sixty-four and a half before I felt it was time to go . . . no one can answer for you, because we are all different.

bruiser
01-12-2014, 10:23 PM
I retired December 2012, for the second time. I am also retired USAF. I worked my second job 24 years. Yes, it was scary pulling the pin. Some suggestions. Make sure your money is right. By that I mean pay off what ever you can while you still have a steady paycheck. Have enough in savings to cover any emergencies just in case the retirement check is held up. Make sure the medical coverage is in place, which I believe you said was already in place.

I'm still having some problems relaxing. But, when you worked as long as I did... So learn to relax. Enjoy you're family and hobbies. We take day trips as often as we can. Oh, and get rid of the alarm clock. I was used to being in bed NLT 10:00 and up at o dark thirty. Now it's in bed around 11:00 or so and up around 8:00 or so. And did I say relax and enjoy???

Pennyrick
01-12-2014, 10:42 PM

You will probably get a bunch of different responses to this post.

Much depends on you. Your attitude... your energy level.... your outside interests.... etc.

A lot also depends on your partner (if you have one).

In my case I worked for 48 years and retired at age 67. I didn't want to retire but I saw the handwriting on the wall as media companies began downsizing and as a key executive (but not the very top key), I felt I should leave on my own terms since I was vested in couple of pension plans and could afford to do so.

Two year's later I was bored to tears. Even though I am involved with horses, collectible automobiles, motorcycles, kayaking, golf, shooting and other stuff I felt the need to do more. At age 69 I bought a small company that my wife and I now run out of our home. We do business in twelve states and it satisfies my need to manage something more. I did get the urge to write a book and that was successfully published in 2011. I am presently working on another book but I am in no hurry to finish it.

I am now 75 and our little company has grown but not so much that we don't have time for other activities.

Make sure you stay active both physically and mentally. Make sure decisions are made with input from both you and your spouse. Make sure to set a budget both for your financial resources and your time. Make time for your own hobbies and interests but do not neglect sharing.

Just do it!

NancysToy
01-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Congratulations on reaching an age and a position where you can begin to contemplate retirement. I was able to retire early, as my wife was several years later, and we have never regretted it for a second. Your financial situation and your interests may be different than ours, so it is difficult to give advice, but I will try my best to answer your questions from our points of view.

The biggest surprise to me was deciding not to go back to work, despite some lucrative offers. I almost did so, but just before I accepted my wife asked me "Why?" I figured if she wasn't worried, I shouldn't either. That being said, our house was paid for, my wife was still working, and I had researched the finances and insurance thoroughly. Do your homework, look at the numbers, and don't underestimate rising costs for health care, food, gasoline, etc. Also be sure you have enough savings tucked away to meet sudden medical or financial emergencies...and hopefully a few new toys. Being prepared is the key to having no surpises. Having plenty of hobbies and interests is the key to not sitting around twiddling your thumbs.

Oh, yea! As retirement approached I got more and more petrified. My wife had the same feelings. I even called the pension office to find out how to rescind my application, which I had to submit 90 days in advance. In the end, I used up my comp time and held my breath until the deadline for backing out had passed. Looking back, neither of us knows what we were so scared about...but when you have worked every day of your life for more than 40 years, it is hard to envision doing anything else. Take a deep breath, have Plan B (an alternate job or career) in mind, and try to get over the hump. In a month or two you'll forget what working was all about.

That is possible...especially in the area of (Spyder) travel. We never were travelers, and never took vacations before we were retired. It took some adjustment. Fortunately, we were very conservative with our financial projections, so we absorbed the differences readily. Realistic planning is the key...don't cut it too close. There will be other increasing costs, too, as inflation and possibly deteriorating health can take their tolls.

I don't have any real tricks to offer, other than if you are eligible for Social Security you can figure to start getting it when you reach a point where inflation has overcome your pension. I recommend not including it in your financial calculations, but think of it as a bonus a number of years down the road, instead. If you are not SS eligible due to having a non-contributing government job, or you will receive a reduced SS benefit as a result of government service, be aware of that and consider working a little longer to maximize your pension, or take a look at your investments and rainy day fund to make sure they can sustain you when you need a future "raise". We were both SS eligible, despite our public employment, so we breathed a little easier.

Hopefully my candid answers won't discourage you. I am only suggesting you be very realistic and practical in your planning. Early retirement is a wonderful blessing (as is a conventional pension)...but it is a "fixed income", so you are frozen in time financially, but have more time ahead of you than the average retiree. It pays to plan well...and two years up front is certainly not too early to start your palnning.

Chupaca
01-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I have found, through my many relatives of which my mother and myself are the only ones left, keep up your pace just change the direction. As mentioned above once you have things set (health, funds, debts) you can retire. But if you give in to the vacation life things can go wrong. Especially if work has been your life. If this is the case tapering works better..jmo..;)

Dan_Ashley
01-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Retirement should mean no debts. Pay everything off before you retire then never borrow money again. I retired 9 years ago at age 55 and no debts. Best decision I ever made.

tobor9
01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
I retired 7 yrs ago at age 53 after 30yrs as a service tech. with Bellsouth telephone and have been so busy I need a full time job just to get weekends and holidays off! Retirement is what you make it:yes:

Spyder_Cowgirl
01-13-2014, 04:42 AM
For me, I was forced to retire after 32 years with IBM as I got caught up in one of their "resource actions" (fancy way of saying "layoff"), July 2013. nojoke While we are by no means debt free, the severance package was decent and allowed us to payoff one loan and put a good chunk of change away for a rainy day. BTW, I was 56 at the time and able to collect my full pension -- still, things are "tight" until we can pay down some debt and a detailed budget is helping with that. The severance package also included job search counseling, retraining money, and transitional health coverage at a group subsidized rate for 18 months (then I'll switch to "normal" retiree health coverage through IBM). I am taking advantage of ALL of these items, even though I am not sure I want to go back to work. I am, however, using the retraining money to get a 2-year degree in "Petroleum Technology" that may offer a career change somewhere in the early part of 2015 -- IF I CHOOSE TO DO SO (key here is choice).

All good recommendations, above .... and good to start preparing now. I was not prepared for the sudden change and, truthfully, felt a little lost for several months. Now that I've adjusted, I find I am sitting around less and doing more with my time by tackling projects I never seemed to have time for while I was working. :yes:

Good Luck and Best Regards .... Ann

GC Wheeler
01-13-2014, 08:29 AM
We are all different and react so. I have retired twice, age 55 and 67 I am now 68 and looking at starting another business with my son. Good luck, I have friends that love retirement but I have to say it doesn't work for me. The only thing I like about it is I can get on my spider when I want and go when I want but because I can, I don't (very often). Road more when I was working and had to fight to find time to ride. I have been a police officer, and Donut maker with three shops, a county commissioner, and a Sheriff and I believe that work has always been my greatest recreation .

Vidman
01-13-2014, 08:42 AM
I did not read all the replys because your questions/concerns are really personal to all. My main question is your age.

I retired at 52 with a state pension. Although the money lost was covered by the savings in childcare (late in life child) by daddy day care, it was only 3 yrs before the child went to school. Then I faced the reality of loneliness. ALL my friends and relatives were still working. I took part time jobs just to keep busy. That sucked and was even more boring. Nothing in common with co-workers.

10 yrs later......Had to take early SS as my wife retired from LE job also and the loss in that pay (still have a youngster) had to be covered. Financially we are fine. The main thing is BUDGET! Budget Budget. BTW, we still have a mortgage.

Life is full of surprises. Don't let possibilities hold you back. Probabilities should be your concern only.

You are not collecting a check for doing nothing. You are collecting a check for your hard work serving your fellow citizens AND for your life planning choices.

Go for it!

lookerjdc
01-13-2014, 09:15 AM

my biggest surprise was boredom...

I was so used to waking up (whenever), going to work (whenever), and then getting the job done

I wsa a software engineer, 13 years with NASA, 10 years witj Apple, 10 years running my own company

depending on what you do for a living, you may want to think about doing some consulting type wor, or, you may just want to relax for a few years

Im just not ready to play bingo.........

Barlock
01-13-2014, 09:21 AM
“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't.” ~ Erica Jong

wyliec
01-13-2014, 10:43 AM
“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't.” ~ Erica Jong

Excellent.:thumbup:

JkRbbt
01-13-2014, 10:43 AM
They say that you retire when you "have enuf" or "you've HAD enuf"! Your tolerance may vary.
Quite honestly, if you leave debt free and have medical insurance for those LARGE, unexpected bills, you are free to choose any direction life presents. And, trust me, you don't have any idea how many opportunities are there. I retired at 56 as jobs in the airline industry took a turn SOUTH! First 6 months of retirement, I was a construction laborer as we remodeled our 1930s home. Then I looked for volunteer work in our community, schools, hospital, etc, and wound up with the police department. 6 1/2 yrs with the local K9 unit is NOT what I expected to be doing at age 65!!

Retirement frees you to do about anything you ever thought about doing. Just look really hard at those two items, your DEBT obligations and MEDICAL INSURANCE. Best of luck! Retirement is the BEST job you will ever have!

Bob Ledford
01-13-2014, 11:22 AM
As others so stated "it all depends on you!" But I think that should be reworded to read, it all depends on how well YOU planned in advance. I was forced into retirement at age 60. But I like to think that our before retirement planning made the difference in everything...

My planning started back at age 18 at my parents insistence that I have a checking and savings account. I later added an IRA. At age 42 I went full Army from the National Guard status that I started in at age 23. When I remarried we talked about retirement planning. She had a State of Florida retirement going for her.. The big plan was to owe nothing to anyone except for the monthly recurring bills. Lights, water license tags and insurances required. If we want something we first research it, shop it then pay for it out the door.

We are doing fine and neither of us does without for very long. A wise financier once stated and I find it to be true, "You will never have any money if you have car payments." Since the day the first wife divorced me I have used that advice and you know, it really works.

Bob Denman
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Sometimes; you just want to face the music :shocked:...
...And dance! :dg1::dg2: :yes:

The fact that you're asking, just tells us that you'll make the right decision for your circumstances! :thumbup:

Sarge707
01-13-2014, 12:18 PM
I retired at 55 with a Military Pension and had to budget until I received SS at 62 and Now Life is a lot easier BUT I still budget and shop at 2 Stores for groceries.
I have my Spyders, a Jetski, RC Helicopters, Fight simulator and many Musical interests to keep me plenty busy.

My typical day is going to the Gym in the morning, watching Price is Right and talking the rest of the day to do what I want among my hobbies!

If you don,t have the Hobbies or interest to keep your mind busy and yourself satisfied with life you might want to work longer but if you don,t mind retiring Many years before most can even think about it you will have a Blast!!!

spydaman60
01-13-2014, 12:22 PM
i really can't answer this thread, as i am in the same boat you are, just wondering when to pull the plug as well. the wife and i started buying our retirement toys about four years ago so we also could be totally debt free when the time comes. that's what got us on the spyder!!!nojoke good luck on your decision !!! (412 days and counting for us)

Bob Ledford
01-13-2014, 12:31 PM
I couldn't help but notice the number of folks on here that list themselves as retired
Two years seems like a long time, but I think it will be here before I know it and I want to make a sound decision when the time

The first surprise is the next day. You don't have to work, every day is a Saturday except for Sunday.. You have to start using a calendar daily to keep your appointments from conflicting. You can do as you darn well want to. The only people you have to answer to are those that you want to. After all they can not fire you any longer!

What hobbies are referring to?

You are eligible for the white Velcro sneaker club and senior coffee combined with senior meals out.

jerpinoy
01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
:congrats: Happy retirement...... When you feel the urge to work, lay down until it passes.:yes::yes::yes:. I retired when I was 42 years old. :agree: with others to plan ahead. My wife and I refinance our house mortgage to get paid off when our youngest turn 18 and that was 5 years ago. We manage debt free since then.
Retirement is what you can afford and enjoy what you want and this varies to each of us.
Past post have various details in finances especially, good luck and happy retirement and God Bless us all.

belowme29
01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
We are all different and react so. I have retired twice, age 55 and 67 I am now 68 and looking at starting another business with my son. Good luck, I have friends that love retirement but I have to say it doesn't work for me. The only thing I like about it is I can get on my spider when I want and go when I want but because I can, I don't (very often). Road more when I was working and had to fight to find time to ride. I have been a police officer, and Donut maker with three shops, a county commissioner, and a Sheriff and I believe that work has always been my greatest recreation .

I had to re-read your post. Cop twice and Donut maker once. Hhhmmmmm? Did you get harassed about that? :roflblack:

Believe me - my figure says that I like donuts too much. My wife has a cousin that is an RCMP officer, and I ALWAYS ask him where the best donut places are. He use to harass me when I was dating my wife, so now that I am locked into the family I take my swings at him. ;)

JkRbbt
01-13-2014, 12:59 PM
NO! PLEASE! Don't join the "white velcro sneaker " crowd until you actually reach retirement age!! :roflblack:

Biosafena
01-13-2014, 01:04 PM
First, I want to say thanks to all for the comments and I welcome any additional thoughts or suggestions. I have waited until now to respond as there has been some great information that I just had to sit back and digest. Based on the comments, a little additional information would be in order. I have been in the police world for the last 27 years. My wife is also in public safety and she will be able to retire in a little over 3 years with her full pension. We have no children (no college tuition! :) ) and are on schedule to have pretty much everything paid off when she is able to pull the plug. Should have enough cash squirreled away to pay for a house in the retirement state of our choice (Tennessee). Do have some investments and that is what I will be hanging to for a rainy day fund. I guess the whole thing is just scary from the aspect that I have worked my way up "the corporate ladder" and then to not have that security. Add to that moving to a strange town/state to try and start all over. Not knowing a soul there, not having any "connections", etc. It is exciting and scary all at he same time time. Then add to it the concern of there being too much month at the end of the money and the whole thing makes me shiver. I guess sometimes you have to step outside your comfort zone to make anything good happen. Being a cop for so long doesn't make it any easier to step outside my comfort zone. We deal with enough things that are unpredictable that when we can get some stability, we like to hang on to it.
As an aside, if anyone has any info on a great place to look for a house in Tennessee, specifically East Tennessee, I am all ears. I know that we want a log home.
Again, I want to thank everyone for their insight and comments. Sometimes I just need to hear from someone that has been there and done it.

Biosafena
01-13-2014, 01:05 PM
I had to re-read your post. Cop twice and Donut maker once. Hhhmmmmm? Did you get harassed about that? :roflblack:

Believe me - my figure says that I like donuts too much. My wife has a cousin that is an RCMP officer, and I ALWAYS ask him where the best donut places are. He use to harass me when I was dating my wife, so now that I am locked into the family I take my swings at him. ;)

This is a small world. One of my patrolmen used to own a donut shop.

belowme29
01-13-2014, 01:17 PM
This is a small world. One of my patrolmen used to own a donut shop.

Sorry - couldn't help it. My wife's cousin use to call me Jethro (from Beverly Hill Billies) and asked me about my cement pound. But then again he called one of his sister's boyfriends a bowl licker, since he liked to lick the bowl after the young lady's mother was finished mixing dough for cookies. The guy (RCMP Officer) has a great sense of humor.

murphybrown
01-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Retirement should mean no debts. Pay everything off before you retire then never borrow money again. I retired 9 years ago at age 55 and no debts. Best decision I ever made.
Dan if I had waited for all those requirements to be in place I would have never retired. That is the absolute ideal, but sometimes life throws a curve and you have to go to plan B< C< D< etc. etc. In my case plan A was retirement and whatever that was going to bring when I was about 52. What plan A reality ended up being for me: was ending a 38+ year marriage...ending up sleeping in a tent and saying "what the hell just happened to Plan A". After spending time in a fetal position and saying "life ain't fair [fact..that is truth It Ain't]. Decided survival was #1 on list...so back in the employment game...actually ended up with 3 jobs...moved out of tent into a offered spare bedroom..long story short. Because I owned that I was responsible for my life...I had to do certain things to reach my goals. Today I have been retired for 7 years. Have a home with a mortgage (my choice..but the home was high on my need/want list so willing to have the mortgage)...have learned to budget, plan, relax, embrace and enjoy this very moment. I learned not to overthink or over worry. And my Spyder life is a major part of that for me..
Like all things I have learned from Scotty (Nancy's toys) his advise is right on for planning and controlling your retired life. But when life throws you a bad curve :yikes:...you will find out what you are willing to do to live and enjoy life to the fullest...:clap:. Mainly I learned and accepted that there are many many aspects of life that just spin out of my control...that is when I have to trust my God...He always gets the job done the right way (which says not always is my want or desire best for me or my situation)...:thumbup:

Oldmanzues
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
I have retired three times now. 28 USAF, some time (16 years) driving a school bus, sometime (12 or so) teaching driver ed to teen agers. Scared me every time to do it, but as said on here, enjoy life. I would suggest having to do something, volenteer at a Senior Center or Hospitial a couple hours a week, I worked the drivers ed job when I wanted to work. Since I quit/retired for good (74 years old) a year ago, I am bored as all get out, even doing a lot with the PGR (suggest you doing it) and tourings.
If you are not already a member Join the Blue Knights, LEO motorcycle outfit.
Most all, if you enjoy doing something, do it
Good Luck
Oldmanzues

currin20fan
01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
I too was a little scared when I retired however, I had been looking forward to it since I started working for the government. I had it in my head that I was retiring with 30 years in service and 50 years old. I knew this in my 20's. So, I saved what I could. When I was 45 I began paying off any bills that I owed. I worked hard at that but there was no guarantee that I would be able to retire at 50. Time went on. When I turned 50 I had my 30 years of service but I didn't receive my letter offering to retire. I was devastated. I had worked so many years for THOSE magic years. As it turned out, I did receive my letter when I was 52. So the day I got that letter, I put in my notification to retire and I have not looked back since. I was elated. I just keep going forward and loving every minute of it. After I retired, I had several offers to go to work. My magic words were........you gotta be kidding me!! I worked too hard to be able to retire. Took a while, but the offers stopped coming. thanks goodness!:clap:

NancysToy
01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
You may want to consider simplifying your plans or planning in stages. Moving to a different locality and culture can be a shock in itself. Doing so as you retire could be tough. Vacationing in your desired location, or looking for a second home would be solutions to consider. We decided to stay here, near family, in the area we love...despite the weather. We did so some eight years after I retired and two years after Nancy did, so it wasn't two shocks for the price of one. It is no wonder you are scared. Nice and easy may be less trepidating.

JkRbbt
01-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Sounds like you are gonna be just fine! It really is a pain in the butt every time you move to find that new barber, dentist, doctor, hardware store,… But the sooner you get there the sooner you will get settled! If you don't have big bills following you into retirement, you are gonna have FUN in your adventure! Like we used to say in the military, you already have friends at your new assignment! You just don't know who they are yet! Pull the plug and have a blast! Best wishes!

Oldmanzues
01-14-2014, 10:35 AM
You may want to consider simplifyying your palns or planning in stages. Moving to a different locality and culture can be a shock in itself. Doing so as you retire could be tough. Vacationing in your desired location, or looking for a second home would be solutions to consider. We decided to stay here, near family, in the area we love...despite the weather. We did so some eight years after I retired and two years after Nancy did, so it wasn't two shocks for the price of one. It is no wonder you are scared. Nice and easy may be less trepidating.

Excellent advice as always. I did not think about the moving part as I was used to moving in the USAF. Just deciding what to take and what to get rid of can be a problem. Meeting new people/places is like a story I heard. A new guy asked how the people around were, friendly or not. The local asked they they were at his old place, then said, it probably will be the same here. Our moves kindly proves that. If you move get and meet people/do things
Again. Good Luck

PrairieSpyder
01-14-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm kind of "semi-retire." I don't have my retirement income yet, but I'm not working. I live with my Dad and care for my him and his home as he is in his later years. I'm not old enough to draw on my retirement accounts, receive my pension or SS. So I have free time, but no income. But I know that eventually I'll have a retirement income, and don't really know what I'll do then, after my Dad has passed.

So I "try things on" mentally and think about how that kind of life would be. Like having a house in the country - would I like being further from my friends, what happens in an emergency, etc. Maybe I'd like to move to a better climate - but I don't know anyone there, what do I do for a social life, etc. Besides going to a gym, how will I fill my days - what causes have meaning to me that I could address, etc.

Based on my own experience, I would say to try to get a firm vision of what you want your retired life to be like. Then make a plan to start building it.

Dan_Ashley
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Dan if I had waited for all those requirements to be in place I would have never retired. That is the absolute ideal, but sometimes life throws a curve and you have to go to plan B< C< D< etc. etc. In my case plan A was retirement and whatever that was going to bring when I was about 52. What plan A reality ended up being for me: was ending a 38+ year marriage...ending up sleeping in a tent and saying "what the hell just happened to Plan A". After spending time in a fetal position and saying "life ain't fair [fact..that is truth It Ain't]. Decided survival was #1 on list...so back in the employment game...actually ended up with 3 jobs...moved out of tent into a offered spare bedroom..long story short. Because I owned that I was responsible for my life...I had to do certain things to reach my goals. Today I have been retired for 7 years. Have a home with a mortgage (my choice..but the home was high on my need/want list so willing to have the mortgage)...have learned to budget, plan, relax, embrace and enjoy this very moment. I learned not to overthink or over worry. And my Spyder life is a major part of that for me..
Like all things I have learned from Scotty (Nancy's toys) his advise is right on for planning and controlling your retired life. But when life throws you a bad curve :yikes:...you will find out what you are willing to do to live and enjoy life to the fullest...:clap:. Mainly I learned and accepted that there are many many aspects of life that just spin out of my control...that is when I have to trust my God...He always gets the job done the right way (which says not always is my want or desire best for me or my situation)...:thumbup:

...um...but I did it. ...me...I grew up without parents....was a severely injured worker...and I did it. you can too...it just takes focus, and refusing to allow yourself to be tempted...If anyone finds that difficult, then they need to re-read this paragraph.

cptjam
01-14-2014, 01:28 PM
GO for it! No Regrets!