PDA

View Full Version : air filter help

crazyspyder
01-08-2014, 05:28 PM
in need of help ..please .
want to replace my stock air filter with same oem KN . got the right panels off and can see 3 clips to unbuckle. should there be more on opposite side. so, unclip the 3 and push out of way
to insert new filter? MAN -that's one huge air box under there! its on a 2012 spyder RT se5.

NancysToy
01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
There are clips on all sides...six in all as I recall...or maybe eight?

BajaRon
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Fell lucky that you don't have an RS. The air cleaner has even less room to work with on the RS/GS Spyders. Hard to believe but true!

crazyspyder
01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Ther are clips on all sides...six in all as I recall...or maybe eight?
:banghead: naw I only see 3 side clips, which I unbuckled and it tries to come apart at the seam and can see the edge of filter- wont pop out! unless your telling me
that the top has to be unbuckled aswell- that has an additional 8 or so clips all around, but, the filter is on the side of air box? ...crapp - will let dealer change it tomorrow.
thank you, all responders .:dontknow:

Chupaca
01-08-2014, 07:50 PM
the filter box should split in half. Upper part can be removed the lower stays attached. Clips are all around should be eight. :thumbup:

KX5062
01-08-2014, 08:18 PM
At least on my RS/GS it is really tight. Did I mention, it's REALLY a tight fit?;)

I had to wiggle and jiggle to get it done, but I did get it done. :thumbup:

Spyder ri
01-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Ah, lovely memory removing the lid from the air box... Coming off is a pain, getting back on was just as fun.

Sarge707
01-08-2014, 09:40 PM
The RT is completely "Different" from the RS- Check your Manual and follow it!nojoke

bluestratos
01-09-2014, 10:35 AM
If you just want to change the air filter you only need to release the 3 clips you can see, the back half of the filter box hooks and acts like a hinge. You can then spread the box open to reveal the air filter, slide it out toward the fender then replace with new one. It only needs about 1 1/2" or less to slide out. I just reinstalled my entire filter system.

Good luck

crazyspyder
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
If you just want to change the air filter you only need to release the 3 clips you can see, the back half of the filter box hooks and acts like a hinge. You can then spread the box open to reveal the air filter, slide it out toward the fender then replace with new one. It only needs about 1 1/2" or less to slide out. I just reinstalled my entire filter system.

Good luck
:ohyea:Thank you-great advice, because it solved my dilemma in my case. had to get rough with but yea it opened up just like you stated.:firstplace: