PDA

View Full Version : Spyders not for real men

Tazzel
01-03-2014, 05:43 PM
I had a gentlemen about mid fifties come over to ask me some questions about my Sypder. His son had just bought a motorcycle and he was thinking about buying to and was looking at options. He said he had riden years ago but did not feel safe on them any more. So when he started asking questions I gave them the regular run down.

Yes its fun
Yes its much more stable
Yes its safer
Yes its easier
No its not hard to drive
Yes they are expensive but you can find great deals on used ones
See its automatic
Yes it backs up

Then he said " well I really like it but its not for real men"
"ok" i said "since more men then women ride them I will let them know"

As he walked away I thought to myself "well there goes another one that will buy something he cant really ride or will be to afraid to ride"

ARtraveler
01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
I had a gentlemen about mid fifties come over to ask me some questions about my Sypder. His son had just bought a motorcycle and he was thinking about buying to and was looking at options. He said he had riden years ago but did not feel safe on them any more. So when he started asking questions I gave them the regular run down.

Yes its fun
Yes its much more stable
Yes its safer
Yes its easier
No its not hard to drive
See its automatic
Yes it backs up

As he walked away I thought to myself "well there goes another one that will buy something he cant really ride or will be to afraid to ride"

Sometimes you have to wonder what goes on in someone's mind. Sounds like he had his mind made up ahead of time or just wanted to be a jerk.

DrewNJ
01-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Some people just don't get it, and I'm totally OK with that. I didn't get it either until I spent some time on a good friends before I bought mine.
Its a totally different type of ride.
Also, the only part I think is easier is not having to put my feet down at lights. When riding hard I am much more worn out riding the Spyder hard vs anything on 2 wheels I've ridden hard....lol

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Chupaca
01-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Sadly they get into trouble and accidents getting the wrong one. Saw it way to many times...live and learn..key word here is "live "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

M109Dreamer
01-03-2014, 06:12 PM
He'll be the guy that buys a brand new 2 wheeler and in 2 years barely puts on 2K miles and wants MSRP when he goes to sell it because he doesn't feel safe on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fireplug98
01-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Bottom line is, they have to ride it. Once they do that, I feel most are sold. Then they realize, this is pretty cool !!!

Tommy J.

SPYD3R
01-03-2014, 06:20 PM
YUP..... me too....
i was at a bike gathering at Quaker Steaks here in Greenville, SC and a couple guys in their 50's (i'm mid 60's) had about the same questions and answers... they walked away laff'n as if i were crazy... the next Saturday morning i brought my SPYD3R in for an oil change, and YOU GUESSED IT... the guy that was the most negative, had taken one out for a ride and i saw him roll back into the shop all excited... don't know if he bought it, but he had a smile on his face as big as TEXAS....

I get a hoot out of some people... if you don't like what they like, they think you're an idiot...
my answer is: "if everyone liked only the same things, this life would be boring as hell"...:gaah: :ohyea: 81294 :2thumbs:

Texas
01-03-2014, 06:35 PM
I've heard something simular said to me; only it was said as "...but it's not a bike". These types of comments are made by males with confidence issues and no amount of educating them will help them to uncloud their testosterone driven judgement. I just keep my distance from people like that because a comment like that proves to me that more than likely, there is nothing else they have to say that needs to be heard.

Bob Denman
01-03-2014, 06:39 PM
The last time I checked; I can still pee while standing up :D... Yup! :thumbup: It's for men! :D

Dan McNally
01-03-2014, 06:44 PM
When I hear: "It's not a bike." I agree, as the route words from Latin and Greek mean two wheels . . . Its a trike. I also don't care what they think . . . I haven't worried about what rude strangers think for most of my life! nojoke

Michael211_2000
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Oh well, that's his loss now isn't it? As Ron White put it, "You can't fix Stupid." :dontknow:

I think most everybody who owns or has ridden a Spyder will agree, it's NOT a Bike in any traditional sense... it's much MORE than a Bike, it's a Roadster! :ohyea:

And I like it! :ani29:

- Michael

NancysToy
01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I've heard something simular said to me; only it was said as "...but it's not a bike". These types of comments are made by males with confidence issues and no amount of educating them will help them to uncloud their testosterone driven judgement. I just keep my distance from people like that because a comment like that proves to me that more than likely, there is nothing else they have to say that needs to be heard.
Nope...and it's not an ATV, side-by-side, hotrod, airplane, snowmobile, Ferrari, or a bunch of other cool toys. Seems quite boring only to like one kind of fun. I am sad for those with such narrow minds.

Bob Denman
01-03-2014, 07:11 PM
:agree: You must...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWmAZ69RDGA

Dan_Ashley
01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
I was at Memorial Day Thunder Run. A guy walks up to me--you know the kind--he has tattoos on top of tattoos, and doesn't have chest hair--he has twigs! We'll he walks up to me and snarls,"That is not a motorcycle." I replied "I know. It has too many wheels." He snarles again, "That is not a trike." Pronouncing "trike" like it is an evil, smelly thing from the bottom of a cess pool. I reply "You are right! The wheels are in the wrong place." He demands to know, "WHAT is THAT thing?" I shrug my shoulders and say, "I don't know."

His "buddies" started laughing at him.

I just strolled away.

900Dave
01-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I was told by several friends/co workers before I bought mine, "you might as well just buy a convertable there is no difference." Once I took my first test ride I realized how stupid these friends where to say something like that. Putting a sun roof in my truck is way more like a convertable than my Spyder! My Spyder is just plain fun to ride!

otter28169
01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
If by "real men" he means, people that need to prove their manhood by riding something the other sheep will approve of, then he is absolutely correct. I like the fact that it is different. If I wanted to be another member of the heard I would have bought what they bought.

One last comeback to use when confronted over the "extra" wheel: If having one less wheel makes you so much better than me, does that mean that you are not as manly as that guy riding the uni-cycle?:D

Just sayin'............

Oldmanzues
01-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Somebody said, they would be the one who has a two wheel for sale in a couple years with a few miles on it. I am more concerned about the idiot, who says I am a man and I need to ride a motorcycle, then crashes causing death or injury to others. Too scared to ride safely.
The Dragon bites a lot of guys every year, that admit they are in over their head for speed, but try anyway. Tree of shame or worse.
Oldmanzues

Dan_Ashley
01-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Real men don't worry about being real, or being manly.
...and to start a list of what real men don't do, let me go first:
1. Real men don't disrespect other people, for any reason.
2. Real men don't hit women or children.
3. Real men support their families.
4. Real men don't drink too much, and don't use drugs.
5. Real men don't lie.
6. Real men earn their living.
7. Real men don't fail to aid those in need, whether asked or not.
8. Real men are not obese.
9. Real men don't steal.
10. Real men don't fail to compliment their spouses.
11. Real men don't need approval of everyone.
12. Real men don't need to join gangs to feel that they belong.
13. Real men don't expect others to bail them out.
14. Real men are not afraid to show love, compassion, or kindness.
15. Real men Ryde Spyders, drive cars, and even walk.

Bob Ledford
01-03-2014, 09:01 PM
You can give them the facts and be totally honest but they don't have a clue. Beside already having a closed mind set before the conversation he wasted your time. Your comeback was really cool though!

i would be willing to bet that he is or was a Harley owner and voted Dimocrat! :banghead:

Dan_Ashley
01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
You can give them the facts and be totally honest but they don't have a clue. Beside already having a closed mind set before the conversation he wasted your time. Your comeback was really cool though!

i would be willing to bet that he is or was a Harley owner and voted Dimocrat! :banghead:
i bet he doesn't vote, rarely bathes, and has trouble spelling his own name.

bruiser
01-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Been there as most of us have. I've learned to ignore the comments.

BajaRon
01-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Some people are ignorant by accident...

Some people are ignorant by choice...

Wiredux
01-03-2014, 10:10 PM
Try being under 40 and on an RT. I hear quite a few strange things. I just give them the "your stupid" look and they walk away feeling that way.

jaherbst
01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
There comes a time in life when your spectacles get thicker than your testicles. Then it's time to add another wheel.

It was a tough transition for me, being somewhat macho but I am really glad I did. No regrets!

Raknid
01-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Sounds pretty insecure... and immature. And a boor.

hchays
01-03-2014, 10:56 PM
There will always be the "bikers" that never really grew up. It seems like it is a particular type that mostly makes the comments. It's fine with me, I don't like their obnoxious sounding, oil dripping, unreliable cookie cutter bikes. Also NEWS FLASH they are not American made anymore, just American assembled. But I love my comfortable, safe, cool looking, reliable, non oil leaking SPYDER. Yes Mr. Biker it's not a bike or a trike, it's a SPYDER!!

Kraut
01-04-2014, 12:10 AM

He is totally right-The Spyder is not a bike; it's a trike, a reverse trike, a Y-trike, and it matters not a whit unless you're into some kind of uber-macho image thing. "Scoot3r' keeps the wind in my face and my knees in the breeze, and THAT'S whats important.

Spyder Tony
01-04-2014, 12:26 AM
I have yet to have someone see me on my Spyder and question my manhood.

As you stated...He'd rather get something he can no longer maneuver (nor pick up if dropped) rather than buy a Spyder and farkle it into the "man machine" he'd enjoy <smh>

DriftersWay
01-04-2014, 05:21 AM
I feel really lucky now. Where I live I have received a lot of questions about my Spyder, but I never got any bad feed back from them.
One reason I like this are so much. But this cold weather has got to go. LOL
Butch

3 Wheel Addict
01-04-2014, 05:36 AM
Hey it works for me... when you get older and a little over weight your "man boobs" start showing anyway so to go with my Spyder I'm going to get me a halter top and flash my man boobs at other bikers all summer....:yikes:

wyliec
01-04-2014, 07:34 AM
The last time I checked; I can still pee while standing up :D... Yup! :thumbup: It's for men! :D

Bob,

I take it you've never been to Mardi Gras?

Spyder ri
01-04-2014, 07:48 AM
The only negative thing anyone ever said to me is when my neighbor called it a "monstrosity". Then, of course, he started to ask me all the familiar questions...

How fast does it go?

Is it four wheel drive? (I love that one)

Do you need a motorcycle license?

Can you drive it in the snow? (Geez)

Can I sit on it? (depends if you look harmless enough)

How much do they cost? (I tell them 40k)

Vidman
01-04-2014, 10:44 AM
I have had many Harley riders say, "Real Men don't...." to me as I have been a rice burner rider (one trip to english in the 60's) since 66. I equate the "Real Men" comment to those with the 15 yr old mentality of Penis Envy. Have nothing in their lives to define their manhood other then their Harleys.

This is NOT a diatribe on Harley riders. Only those with that stupid mind set.

3Willie
01-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Most of the people including the ones with a lot of ink are pretty nice. The other ones are just knuckleheads that will probably never change their way of thinking about bikes, politics, education or God. All you can do is react in a way that does not make you a jerk too.

Besides that, we will be riding and having fun a long time after they have tipped their bikes over for the last time.

Dan_Ashley
01-04-2014, 01:09 PM
..Penis Envy...
I think some of them have "income envy". Whether it is retirement income or working income, it manifests the same. I think some of them say to themselves, "Hey, I can't afford anything as nice and fun as that. Especially on my unskilled and/or uneducated salary/income level. But I am a manly man--I know this 'cuz I flunked out of school so I could ride a rat bike. Therefore, anything as nice as this is just....um...girlie." That's what I think some of them say to themselves.

I actually feel feel sorry for them. I really do.

zrc
01-04-2014, 01:50 PM
5. Real men don't lie.
9. Real men don't steal.

I was almost a real man... then you said "dont drink too much."

SO CLOSE, maybe next year.

gwritesel
01-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Never had anyone say that to me.On the other hand I've had more bike riders wave at me on the road when I'm on the Spyder than I ever did while riding my Harley or Victory

Mo Lee
01-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Yes its fun
Yes its much more stable
Yes its safer
Yes its easier
No its not hard to drive
See its automatic
Yes it backs up

I kinda thought the same way back in Jan 09 when Rickylen and my Wife were talking me into buying one. I did buy without even taking in for a test ride, and changed my mind when I twisted the throttle on the entrance ramp to I44 on the way home at 30 degrees.

Bob Denman
01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cATPLk559XY

Bob Denman
01-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Bob,

I take it you've never been to Mardi Gras?
I said that I "CAN"; just maybe not always... :shocked: :opps:

fireplug98
01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
I just tell idiots, I'm glad I'm able to still be on the road with the wind in my face and the sun on my head. :-)

On a side note, every time I take a corner on the back roads and I see that little area if sand on the road, I smile and say to myself, boy I love my Spyder !!!

ARtraveler
01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
The worst thing someone said to me about the :spyder2: was that it looks like a snowmobile with wheels. It kind of does.

I don't feel any less of a "man" rydeing the :ani29:. I did sell off my final two wheeler in 2012. My hip told me it was time to quit trying to balance 850# and that it would not be long before something bad happened. I got the message.
I did buy an early :spyder2: (2008) because it was new, different, and very cool :yes::yes:. For the next 4 years, I had both a two and a three wheeler in my stable.

As for those who are macho and feel that unless you drive brand X--you "ain't a man" or don't own a "real motorcycle". I say hooey. I have actually never owned brand X--and never wanted to. This is my own reasoning--and not a diss to brand X. Like a lot of you others, I have owned over 40 assorted and from 80cc to 2000cc--so have had the opportunity to be versed in motorcycling. I have had "cutting edge" and biggest V-twin made. So, I surely don't feel bad about various comments that may come along the way.
When my final ryde is over, I will have no regrets. Thanks BRP and :spyder2: for keeping the dream going. :2thumbs:

Dudley
01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Trying to reason with someone who already knows everything is like talking politics with a Liberal. They know it all and are convinced beyond any doubt that anyone who disagrees is mentally challenged and will never understand their superior knowledge. So, walk away and leave them in their own little world. Ours has a lot more beauty and is a lot more peaceful. Ride on, Spyder Riders, Ride On!

NancysToy
01-04-2014, 06:10 PM
.....All you can do is react in a way that does not make you a jerk too. .....
:thumbup: Very sound advice! Thanks for putting it to words so well. :thumbup:

cuznjohn
01-04-2014, 06:57 PM
ware a dress on friday nights and i don't ride with the dress on, but at 62 i decided 3 wheels are better than two when i ride now. but as bob said he can still pee standing up, i can also but if i pee sitting down i just consider it a senior moment and keep on trucking.

Dan_Ashley
01-04-2014, 06:59 PM
I was almost a real man... then you said "dont drink too much."

SO CLOSE, maybe next year.
Operative words: Too much.

if drinking does not mess up your life, then it probably isn't too much.

Bob Denman
01-04-2014, 07:01 PM
We may need some further clarification on the meanings of "mess", and "up"... :D

Dan_Ashley
01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Went on a 160 mile Ryde today. Here in So Cal the weather is perfect today....
Stopped at a biker joint for a burger. A guy drives in, and gets out of his little Honda car. Walks up to me and says, after a little conversation, "Those are not for real men." So I ask him what he rides and he says "A Harley Davidson Motorcycle." I ask him where it is, and he said, "At home, in the garage." I thought about it being such a beautiful riding day, and then asked, "When did you ride it last?" He said, "Maybe two--three years ago." I looked at him and said, " ...but you are wearing a Harley bikers vest...." He grunted and walked away.

Dan McNally
01-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I didn't see a single two-wheeler on the road this morning as I headed down to Remington VA for a laser alignment . . . it was either 5 degrees or 8 degrees (depending on which weather station I looked at) when I left home . . . but a bunch of Spyders showed up. "Real men", my :cus:! Real men (and women . . . there was a good representation from GOS) don't let icy roads, snow, and single digit temps stop them from ryding!

FiFi
01-04-2014, 07:27 PM
My wife has the Spyder and I a Kaw Voyager. Here's what I recently posted on a Kaw forum about JP Cycles. This was a guy who drove a 'real bike' and was a salesman.

A couple of months ago we had the chance to finally go to JP Cycles in Daytona. Been wanting to see what all the hoopla was about. It was a nice store but definitely geared to Harleys. The wife picked out a few things for her Spyder and was carrying them while she continued shopping. She went over to one of the salesmen and asked if they had any items specifically for a Spyder. His very condescending reply was, 'No, I drive a real bike, I have a Harley'. I was in a different part of the store and didn't hear him. When she told me what happened I asked, was he being funny or what? She said he was a real jerk. So I told her to put the stuff she was carrying on the shelf, and out the door we went. There's plenty of other suppliers out there that will get our money.

Dan_Ashley
01-04-2014, 07:32 PM
We may need some further clarification on the meanings of "mess", and "up"... :D
My personal definition: "Crap happens because I'm drunk, and I don't like it, or my family members don't like it."

What's your personal defination? I'm sure yours is as good for you as mine is for me.

SNOOPY
01-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Yes its fun
Yes its much more stable
Yes its safer
Yes its easier
No its not hard to drive
See its automatic
Yes it backs up

Funny, no one has a problem when they see me ride....and I'm a dog. http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/Barclay_M/Snoopy-cool.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Barclay_M/media/Snoopy-cool.jpg.html)

Bob Ledford
01-04-2014, 07:47 PM

You're probably more right then I was. Let's add " on welfare" to the list along with beats his wife and makes his kids sleep on a dirty mattress too. :yikes:

wyliec
01-04-2014, 08:00 PM
I said that I "CAN"; just maybe not always... :shocked: :opps:

Sorry Bob,

I meant, if you'd been to a mardi gras, you may have seen more than males standing.

SpyRyd
01-04-2014, 08:34 PM
I've ridden Hondas, Yamahas, Harleys and now I'm a Spyder Ryder and have been since May 2012 with nearly 25,000 Spyder miles under my belt. In all my years of riding I've never experienced anything near what has been expressed in some of the stories in this thread. I can't help but wonder if some of these stories posted here are perhaps made up to stimulate more fictional conversation, JMHO. Maybe, maybe not :dontknow:

Kagey_98
01-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Yes its fun
Yes its much more stable
Yes its safer
Yes its easier
No its not hard to drive
See its automatic
Yes it backs up

Then he said " well I really like it but its not for real men" <=== He Spelled Sheep Wrong...

Bob Denman
01-05-2014, 03:26 AM
Sorry Bob,

I meant, if you'd been to a mardi gras, you may have seen more than males standing.

:shocked: How am I gonna get back to sleep after THAT??? :shocked: :gaah:

den1953
01-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Back before I retired there were a couple jerks in my department who never even owned or rode motorcycles but kept up the "real men ride Harleys" crap, trying to get my goat. I finally grew tired of it one day and snapped back "well what do you girls ride?". I had a Honda and a couple of Yamahas at the time.

wyliec
01-05-2014, 08:20 AM
:shocked: How am I gonna get back to sleep after THAT??? :shocked: :gaah:

Count the number of droplets.

araknd
01-05-2014, 10:33 AM
I was told by several friends/co workers before I bought mine, "you might as well just buy a convertable there is no difference." Once I took my first test ride I realized how stupid these friends where to say something like that. Putting a sun roof in my truck is way more like a convertable than my Spyder! My Spyder is just plain fun to ride!
Q

I know this is a men's comment thread, but I might make a comment. I rode a traditional bike for years, however, after a serious back injury and couldn't ride my Nomad any more the Spyder was a good fix. I have to admit I had a serious identity crisis with my first one ('09 roadster). Now, after my second fusion, I have a '12 RT and really love it. You just can't and shouldn't try to compensate for someone's idiotic comments.
araknd

Bob Denman
01-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Count the number of droplets.

:shocked: :barf:

Glad to have you back!! :thumbup: nojoke

Bazeel
01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Try being under 40 and on an RT. I hear quite a few strange things. I just give them the "your stupid" look and they walk away feeling that way.

Oh man, I get that. I'm 28 and I run with a pack of sportbikes one day and a pack of Cruisers the next. A few freinds joke with 'You shoulda gotta Harley', but I've not had anyone say any -real- smart.

(On a side note, I did have a gentleman in a beat-up farm truck tell me to 'Get a real bike'...Which is pretty funny coming from someone riding about in their truck. )

lwrydr
01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Some clowns (Harley Riders) that I know had a reservation cop put a ticket on my :spyder2: saying that it was not supposed to be
parked in a mororcycle only area. I had a lot of fun with that one and at the time was not real happy.

Bob Denman
01-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Dan McNally
01-05-2014, 12:24 PM

:ohyea:

retread
01-05-2014, 12:48 PM
To the "real bike" question, I ask if I've been riding my imagination for 6 years, then tell them if my imagination is that good, I'll try thinking a few million into my bank account and see what happens. The first one I said that to had to have it explained to him.

john

zrc
01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Operative words: Too much.

if drinking does not mess up your life, then it probably isn't too much.

IM BACK IN THE GAME BABY, OH YEA!

missouriboy
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Trying to reason with someone who already knows everything is like talking politics with a Liberal...Hmmmm.... I know we're not supposed to mention politics, but didja know the Quote of the Year was attributed to Vladimir Putin?

It was reported that he said, "Negotiating with Barack ***** is like trying to play chess with a pigeon: first he knocks over all the game pieces, then he poops on the board and struts around like he won the game."

:yikes:

Bob Denman
01-05-2014, 05:43 PM
:shocked: We're gonna get in trouble if one of them complains... :D

spydaman60
01-05-2014, 06:35 PM
5. Real men don't lie.
9. Real men don't steal.
15. Real men Ryde Spyders, drive cars, and even walk.14 out of 15 on your definition of a real man! I resemble #8 to some degree! :roflblack: maybe not obese, but on the heavy side!:roflblack::roflblack:

Dan_Ashley
01-05-2014, 07:18 PM
14 out of 15 on your definition of a real man! I resemble #8 to some degree! :roflblack: maybe not obese, but on the heavy side!:roflblack::roflblack:
Can you walk?
Can you bend over?
Can you climb stairs?

If so, then you might be overweight but not OBESE.
The reason I put that on the list is because truly obese people show to the world that they have no self-control, and therefore cannot be self reliant.

spydaman60
01-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Can you walk?
Can you bend over?
Can you climb stairs?

If so, then you might be overweight but not OBESE.
The reason I put that on the list is because truly obese people show to the world that they have no self-control, and therefore cannot be self reliant. yes, yes and yes!!guess i'm fifteen for fifteen!! man I feel better now!!:roflblack:

OJ UK
01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
TBH I have not had any derogatory remarks from anyone in the UK....more like:
"What is it?? It looks great....can you drive it on a car licence? Wow!"
When I explain that Yes, you can drive on a car or 'full' bike licence and then I
give the person a card from my dealer, they generally walk off shaking their heads and
looking back at my pride and joy!! The hard nosed Harley brigade do tend to say very little
but I often catch them taking a sneaky look at it when I've out accelerated them and
then gone into curves way faster than they can!!
Horses for courses I suppose.

SNOOPY
01-05-2014, 08:56 PM
5. Real men don't lie.
9. Real men don't steal.

Whoa, good thing I a dog, I'd never be able to live up to all of that.:shocked:

Dan_Ashley
01-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Whoa, good thing I a dog, I'd never be able to live up to all of that.:shocked:
Dogs do all of that naturally. Thank you for being a dog. So do Spyder Ryder's!

belowme29
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
My wife has the Spyder and I a Kaw Voyager. Here's what I recently posted on a Kaw forum about JP Cycles. This was a guy who drove a 'real bike' and was a salesman.

A couple of months ago we had the chance to finally go to JP Cycles in Daytona. Been wanting to see what all the hoopla was about. It was a nice store but definitely geared to Harleys. The wife picked out a few things for her Spyder and was carrying them while she continued shopping. She went over to one of the salesmen and asked if they had any items specifically for a Spyder. His very condescending reply was, 'No, I drive a real bike, I have a Harley'. I was in a different part of the store and didn't hear him. When she told me what happened I asked, was he being funny or what? She said he was a real jerk. So I told her to put the stuff she was carrying on the shelf, and out the door we went. There's plenty of other suppliers out there that will get our money.

Good for you. But I would have made it a little more public. Go to the area where you would pay for the items and just drop off all of the items - even include a big ticket item that you were not going to purchase, just to make it a point for them to put them back away. And say sorry, but I don't want them anymore.

I have been "snubbed" by some harley riders when filling up at a pump, say hi they stuck their noses up in the air. Other then that everyone is curious and only ask questions because they want to know what it is.

Sorry to hear that people have had problems with other riders.

gnirtsnod
01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
When I hear: "It's not a bike." I agree, as the route words from Latin and Greek mean two wheels . . . Its a trike. I also don't care what they think . . . I haven't worried about what rude strangers think for most of my life! nojoke

It has struck me that those who would poke fun at or otherwise criticize a Spyder rider would probably never make a similar comment to an HD or Wing trike rider. It's a choice we make for ourselves, not for them.

sadeeky
01-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Them children will think back on things they say about Spyder riders when they lay their bikes down and get road rash.

jaherbst
01-05-2014, 11:03 PM
I think this thread has hit a nerve. It is not the Harley riders, or anyone else. It's your own sensitivity or whatever, that's getting your Goat. Get over it! These things we ride are "strange looking beasts" and folks do not see many of them. Don't take every thing you hear as a put down or if Joe Harley does not wave, wave to him any way then you will at least feel good about yourself.
Regardless of what you think these things are still a novelty and not main stream. (Yet) Have fun with it, join in the fun. Whether you are on two, three or one wheel---what the hell do you care what other people think. Above all be friendly, yes even to Vespa riders.:joke:

Dan_Ashley
01-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Above all be friendly, yes even to Vespa riders.:joke:
I like Vespas.

even in big font.

SteveMac
01-06-2014, 12:10 AM
I think this thread has hit a nerve. It is not the Harley riders, or anyone else. It's your own sensitivity or whatever, that's getting your Goat. Get over it! These things we ride are "strange looking beasts" and folks do not see many of them. Don't take every thing you hear as a put down or if Joe Harley does not wave, wave to him any way then you will at least feel good about yourself.
Regardless of what you think these things are still a novelty and not main stream. (Yet) Have fun with it, join in the fun. Whether you are on two, three or one wheel---what the hell do you care what other people think. Above all be friendly, yes even to Vespa riders.:joke:

And that folks, hits the nail on the head.

clogwog
01-06-2014, 01:22 AM
Got to agree, doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you are happy that's all that matters. Me I have and love my :ani29:

Bob Denman
01-06-2014, 10:49 AM
:agree: X2... Let it drop. :bdh:

wyliec
01-06-2014, 10:52 AM

C'mon now. What you say makes too much sense. You're going to spoil the fun of others making negative comments about someone that they've never met.

Oh well; I guess the fun must come to an end.

jaherbst
01-06-2014, 11:49 AM
I like Vespas.even in big font.Me too!

jerpinoy
01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
5. Real men don't lie.
9. Real men don't steal.

16. Real men know the difference between a two wheels motorcycle and 3 wheels are called trike, Spyder in our case.

Dan_Ashley
01-06-2014, 12:11 PM
I polished my Spyder, and rode it through the foothills to Temecula. Had lunch at a "cool biker joint", and had fun.

Afterwards, I was encasing myself in helmets and leather, standing next to the Spyder. A guy walks by and says, "That's a car!" I turned on rock and roll; asked his girlfriend if she would like to go on a ride, and handed her a helmet. She put it on, and away we went! I took her home after I took her to a different restaurant. She lives about 30 minutes away from the "cool biker joint."

So much for snarky half-wits!

Bob Denman
01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
:clap: Outstanding!! :2thumbs:

sadeeky
01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Dude we are all just expressing out thoughts on other peoples stupidity. As you can see no one cares what they think. We all love our Spyder and I don't think anyone is sensitive on this matter. I sure as hell am not I also drive a Prius. I am sure we are all just venting and sharing others stupid comments, No need for comments like ' Get over it!"

Dan_Ashley
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Dude we are all just expressing out thoughts on other peoples stupidity. As you can see no one cares what they think. We all love our Spyder and I don't think anyone is sensitive on this matter. I sure as hell am not I also drive a Prius. I am sure we are all just venting and sharing others stupid comments, No need for comments like ' Get over it!"
I drive a Prius too. It is a good car.

Pandy
01-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Yeah, me too as long as I brace myself...

Rockwall
01-06-2014, 08:25 PM
I generally get a lot of compliments about my Spyder. It is an RS and I have added a number of mods to it making it more of a cruiser. It is black and many two wheelers (very much including Harley riders) have really been very cool and conversational. I do get an occasional jerk who has some smart ass comment and it usually takes me by surprise because I am in my happy place when riding.

What kind of fool who doesn't like something needs to specifically bring this to someone else's attention? Losers who never grew up, that's who.:doorag:

spydermyke990
01-08-2014, 02:23 AM
I think if someone has to go and thump his chest and announce how "manly" he is, and put on a big act of it, an he's that worried and looking "wimpy" in front of his "manly" buddies or whether he's going to impress the ladies about how "manly" he is, sound like an insecurity issue to me.

Mo Lee
01-08-2014, 06:26 AM
I use to get a challenger every now and then, however the last couple of years I havn't had a single challenger from stoplight to stoplight here locally with any of my bikes. Not sure if it is me or the bikes they are afraid of.

Dan_Ashley
01-08-2014, 10:41 AM
I think if someone has to go and thump his chest and announce how "manly" he is, and put on a big act of it, an he's that worried and looking "wimpy" in front of his "manly" buddies or whether he's going to impress the ladies about how "manly" he is, sound like an insecurity issue to me.
...ah yep. You are right! I get such a kick out of it. I think it is hilarious. Guys too worried about their "manliness" to even wear a stupid hat at a birthday party. it is sort of like, "Hey, lets NOT have fun, but let's stand around with our mouths turned down and try to look mean and tough--even though we are 75 pounds overweight."

Oldmanzues
01-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Some "people" just want to make others look bad.
Several years ago, I was a "biker Bar" for the heck of it. A guy came in a Army uniform with a "funny" green hat. A "biker dude" walker over and knocked it off his head. Telling him only a queer would wear a hat like that. The Amy guy put three of them on the floor ( in quick order) before the rest decided it was not a funny hat. A couple of us had stood up to help him, but he did not need it.

Dan_Ashley
01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Some "people" just want to make others look bad.
Several years ago, I was a "biker Bar" for the heck of it. A guy came in a Army uniform with a "funny" green hat. A "biker dude" walker over and knocked it off his head. Telling him only a queer would wear a hat like that. The Amy guy put three of them on the floor ( in quick order) before the rest decided it was not a funny hat. A couple of us had stood up to help him, but he did not need it.

...did you meet my son? No wait, he was a SEAL. ... got arrested that night. I told him he was a moron...he said, "I know."

jcthorne
01-08-2014, 12:55 PM
I drive a Prius too. It is a good car.

Ok, now you went too far.....

Just a quick question about the Prius though. Does it come with a system for making reservations to enter the freeway?

:cheers:

Bob Denman
01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
And we all just LOVE the battery pack; it comes from China! :shocked: :D

SPYD3R
01-08-2014, 01:05 PM
:lecturef_smilie: does anyone here really give a crap what some moron thinks of our SPYD3R's.....? :gaah: :roflblack:
actually, REAL MEN don't much care about what others think... they determine how their lives will be lead, and enjoy their lives to the MAX..... :firstplace:

PatGund
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
I haven't had a problem with Harley riders. Hell, the first "biker wave" I got, 10 minutes after getting my RT from the dealer, was from a batch of Harley riders. And I've had some good chats with them in the motorcycle area of the Washington State Ferries.

Gotten the occasional snarky comment from Gold Wing riders, but for the most part they've been okay as well. Had some real fun trading notes with a batch of Piaggo MP3 hyper scooter riders. :)

As for the "real man" thing, personally I could care less. I'm not operating my RT with my genitals, so I could care less what someone else thinks of my masculinity.

Bob Denman
01-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Time to trot this one out... :roflblack:

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

fireplug98
01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
LOL Bob !!!!

Tommy J.

Bob Denman
01-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Someplace; I've got the list of reasons why Spyder Ryders don't wave back. :D
I just can't find it right now... :opps:

ARtraveler
01-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Good to see the list every once in awhile. Lot's of good points to ponder. :roflblack:

PatGund
01-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Would like to see the Spyder one :)

I have seen this too:

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Cruzr Joe
01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
If nobody makes a comment on my Spyder (good or Bad) i feel lonesome. :(

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Thanks Pat! :thumbup:
I'm stealing it, and will add it to the mix! :D

cyclelover63
01-08-2014, 03:59 PM
I have had only one instance where another rider just wouldn't give up...I just said,"When you get old like me and want to keep riding,you will be riding one too"...He just smiled..Hard to argue with that!

The Wanderer
01-08-2014, 04:57 PM
I rarely comment but often read threads and responses. I enjoy this site because it gives me insight on spyders which I love. I also enjoy the comraderie and how people lift each other up. If I wanted to hear/listen to negative comments about politics whether democrat or republican I would watch the news. Bashing ones political preference on Spyderlovers is just as obnoxious as people saying we are not real men for ryding spyders. Stick to the subject thread and leave the politics out. We get enough of that everyday in other venues.

jerpinoy
01-08-2014, 05:02 PM
There comes a time in life when your spectacles get thicker than your testicles. Then it's time to add another wheel.

It was a tough transition for me, being somewhat macho but I am really glad I did. No regrets!

It take a real men like you.:yes::yes:ride safe mahco man and God Bless us all with thicker specs.:roflblack::roflblack:

SNOOPY
01-08-2014, 05:12 PM

I wave. Being a new rider I think it's a little weird but I do it.

I definitely don't wave to the scooter crowd though, I think they have no business riding their 30 mph top speed contraptions in a 45-55 mph zone :mad:

Also would like to one day actually see another Spyder to wave to. :banghead:

Bob Denman
01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
What's wrong with scooters?
And for that matter; kids on bicycles? :dontknow:

They've all got their hearts in the right place. :thumbup:
Sometimes, If you want friends; you've got to be one first! :D

wyliec
01-08-2014, 06:08 PM

I definitely don't wave to the scooter crowd though, I think they have no business riding their 30 mph top speed contraptions in a 45-55 mph zone :mad:

There are a few in the area where I live. Two of them on 2 separate occasions did not wave back; I'm talking the same two. Of course, I had negative comments, in my mind and that's where they will stay.

sadeeky
01-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Just a quick question about the Prius though. Does it come with a system for making reservations to enter the freeway?

Ummm Come Again? Don't get it

wyliec
01-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Ummm Come Again? Don't get it

Maybe talking about the lack of, or supposed lack of pick up when entering the freeway.

Bob Denman
01-08-2014, 06:35 PM
:agree: That's how I read it also. :thumbup:

SPYD3R
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM

just give'm the finger (3 fingers that is).... :roflblack:

SNOOPY
01-08-2014, 07:28 PM
There are a few in the area where I live. Two of them on 2 separate occasions did not wave back; I'm talking the same two. Of course, I had negative comments, in my mind and that's where they will stay.

I've seen one Spyder on our roads before, but I wasn't on my at the time.

And of course at a demo days, but that's different.....actually that was in a parking lot, not on the roads.

vrodrjs
01-08-2014, 07:29 PM
You guys ought to try riding a vrod back in '03, you want to talk about getting heckled by Harley guys. I had guys walk up to me and say "I don't like those VRODS, they aren't even a real Harley." I always told them I knew that and that is why I bought it. The only problem any of the guys (they ride HD) I ride with have when I am on the RT is that it takes so long to get gas. They make me leave my helmet on and my visor down to discourage people from asking questions.:D

Dan_Ashley
01-08-2014, 08:24 PM
I gave up waving when somebody shot off my finger. Now I just point.

seriously though, I wave at everyone and most wave back. About the only time I don't is when I fall asleep while driving.

Oldmanzues
01-08-2014, 08:26 PM

This depends on what you call a Scooter. Honda Silver Wing, Who ever makes Bergman, both 100 MPH plus. There are more I know.
Oldmanzues

Dan_Ashley
01-08-2014, 10:27 PM

No reservation system, but it DOES have an auxiliary rubber band tightened for those moments.

SNOOPY
01-08-2014, 10:32 PM
This depends on what you call a Scooter. Honda Silver Wing, Who ever makes Bergman, both 100 MPH plus. There are more I know.
Oldmanzues

Anyone driving a scooter 15 plus mph under the posted speed.

Its really bad in our area, 2 killed already. Just wondering how many it will take till they say enough is enough. I feel sorry for the people who hit them, because I don't think it's the cars fault.....one was even a cop!

jScotD
01-08-2014, 11:18 PM
then they got discovered..

what's a real Man anyway?

Dan_Ashley
01-08-2014, 11:51 PM
then they got discovered..
the Soggy Bottom Boys were discovered by BMW riders???

SNOOPY
01-09-2014, 06:05 AM
roflmao

Vidman
01-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Anyone driving a scooter 15 plus mph under the posted speed.

Its really bad in our area, 2 killed already. Just wondering how many it will take till they say enough is enough. I feel sorry for the people who hit them, because I don't think it's the cars fault.....one was even a cop!

Got a 300 pound friend who regularly rides his 150 Scooter at over 65 on highways. I think you are mistaken the 50cc mopeds as scooters.

Bob Denman
01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Snoopy's just enjoying a little bit of "biker-snobbery" ;)
It can happen to anybody!

Who knows? :shocked:
Next year; the folks with 1330 triples; might not wave to those afflicted with mere "V-Twin power"! :joke:

Vidman
01-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Next year; the folks with 1330 triples; might not wave to those afflicted with mere "V-Twin power"! :joke:

I hope to be among those snobs. :D

Bob Denman
01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
I hope that you are too! :2thumbs:
Where in Connecticut are you?

vrodrjs
01-09-2014, 09:51 AM

You are still one of us lowly twiners for now aren't you Bob?;) Just remember us little people when you are one of the "cool kids"

other Bob

Bob Denman
01-09-2014, 10:07 AM
I did say "might" :D
I'll never be one of the cool kids; I'm the one looking through the hole in the fence!

jaherbst
01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Time to trot this one out... :roflblack:Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm. 8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley. 4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet. 1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture. 9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.6. The espresso machine just finished. 5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system. 1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to. 9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal. 3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back 10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form." 8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat. 6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW. 2. You haven't been properly introduced.1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.Shucks, now I can't wave at anyone! Very good Bob. Got a real chuckle out of this. Pretty creative.

Bob Denman
01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
:shocked: Oh; I didn't make it up...
I just found it, and have kept adding to it! :D

It's actually come from ALL of us; put together! :clap:

Vidman
01-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I hope that you are too! :2thumbs:
Where in Connecticut are you?

Farmington/Avon area.

Bob Denman
01-09-2014, 01:34 PM
That's not all that far from us...
I sense that a ride will break out! :thumbup:

jScotD
01-09-2014, 07:56 PM
when I started riding BMW's there were maybe 2 ..in my community... and I was always getting comments like some are getting with spyders today.. now they are everywhere..bmw's that is.. and the attitudes are reaching or surpassing the other crowd of riders..names not mentioned.. I have only seen 3 spyders here in over 2 years..

RidersInChrist
01-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Yes its fun
Yes its much more stable
Yes its safer
Yes its easier
No its not hard to drive
See its automatic
Yes it backs up

:roflblack::roflblack: me and my wife are laughing at Old people..lol

Mexican
01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Talking about me???:yikes:

Bob Denman
01-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Talking about me???:yikes: