PDA

View Full Version : Lights Stay On??? Help

sleepman
07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Okay I've been searching for this subject but haven't found anything. Whenever I get caught in heavy rain and then shut down the Spyder it's headlights will come back on and stay on until I hit the handle bars and then go off. I can then walk away and they'll come back on. It seems to me that the switch on the right switch housing, that let's you flash the lights, is getting wet and causing this problem. I've blown it out with my air compressor and that fixes the problem, but it'll come back when it rains.

I'm thinking about simply cutting the wires running to this switch to eliminate the problem until I feel like taking it in for warranty service. I hesitate to take it for service cause it's hard to duplicate the problem unless it's a downpour.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

spyder13
07-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Pull the headlight relay out when it's doing it. More than likely bad relay. sticking. I have had to replace mine allready for not coming on. Advance auto parts has a relay to fit.

kma10-4
07-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Pull the headlight relay out when it's doing it. More than likely bad relay. sticking. I have had to replace mine allready for not coming on. Advance auto parts has a relay to fit.
what brand & the part # of the relay for the one you got from advance auto???
i've already had the main relay & headlight relay replaced. being they are the same
headlight,fan,main. THANKS

sleepman
07-25-2008, 03:20 PM
what brand & the part # of the relay for the one you got from advance auto???
i've already had the main relay & headlight relay replaced. being they are the same
headlight,fan,main. THANKS

I went to Advance Auto Parts and got one today. The brand is BWD, as for the part number the box isn't labeled real well but here's what's on it, just not sure which is the actual part #

V08074
R3110Z
41-5100

Hope this helps, I went ahead and pulled mine and replaced it, so now all I have to do is wait for another rain.

NancysToy
07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
...or you could squirt it with a hose.

sleepman
07-29-2008, 08:46 AM
...or you could squirt it with a hose.

I actually did the Saturday evening after I'd put the new relay in. I was washing it anyways so I held a steady stream on the handlebars since I felt it was the switch on the right side. It didn't make the problem come back, I guess I could switch back to the old relay and spray it again to see what happens.

NancysToy
07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I actually did the Saturday evening after I'd put the new relay in. I was washing it anyways so I held a steady stream on the handlebars since I felt it was the switch on the right side. It didn't make the problem come back, I guess I could switch back to the old relay and spray it again to see what happens.
Sounds like you may have cured it. I would certainly report it to the dealer. Should be a warranty issue. If all they do is trade you a new relay for the old one, that gives you a spare. I'll do a rain dance, and keep my fingers crossed for you. I had that problem on one of my BMWs after a ride in a heavy downpour, and it can make you nuts!
-Scotty

bjt
07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
I've read through this a few times and I just don't think the relay change and the water on the switch are directly tied together. If moisture was getting inside the relay and contributing to the relay sticking, that's one thing. If there is moisture getting in the switch on the handlebars and shorting out the switch contacts, that's something else.

BRPjunkie
07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Picked up a spare relay at Advance Auto Parts. Since it fits all three relay locations, (main, lights and fan), it's a $9 insurance policy. Like rain gear, when you have, it doesn't rain, but leave it home and it pours. While warranty would cover replacement, odds are against being anywhere near a dealer if I need one. I wonder what Spyder dealers get for it.

sleepman
07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I've read through this a few times and I just don't think the relay change and the water on the switch are directly tied together. If moisture was getting inside the relay and contributing to the relay sticking, that's one thing. If there is moisture getting in the switch on the handlebars and shorting out the switch contacts, that's something else.

In my gut I was thinking it had to be the switch, because it only does it when the bike was really wet. If it was the relay I'd expect it to happen anytime. However I switched the relay and when washing it this weekend I had the spray right on the switch, it had to have gotten wetter than it does in a rain and no problems. So I've decided to just wait for the next time I get caught in a good storm and go from there. I'm just not the kind of guy to take it to the dealer for warranty service if it's something minor. I ride everyday and I'm not gonna leave it sitting at a dealer.

NancysToy
07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Another possibility is that water is shorting the switch, causing the relay to come in and out repeatedly, eventually welding the contacts. If this is the case, a new relay would cure the situation, but would eventually fail again. Doesn't seem like the handlebar switch should short in a rain. Sounds like something for BRP to address.
-Scotty