PDA

View Full Version : parking brake

The_Spyderwoman
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Either my foot is too big or my parking brake is too small..:dontknow:.but I will set my parking brake and often I am on the bike when I release it...my foot slips off and my chin goes right into the foot peg...:yikes: I know.:opps:..don't be on the bike when I release it; I was just wondering if anyone has made any modifications for this :popcorn:

bjt
07-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. :yikes: http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Sad/tears-003.gif That leaves a nasty mark

Worst thing is I had to bang my shin three different times before I finally learned not to try and release the parking brake while seated. :opps:

Nowadays, I just don't use the parking brake anymore. Too much trouble with the pedal sticking and whatnot.

docdoru
07-25-2008, 06:16 AM
How about the SE5? This is the only way they can secure the bike.

sabunim5
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
1. Try using the arch of your foot to press the pedal instead of the ball of you foot. Less chance of slipping off.
2. If you keep some pressure of the regular brake pedal with your right foot while you release the parking brake with your left, less pressure is required to release the parking brake.
3. You might try searching both major forums, as quite a while back someone posted a mod where they had done what you are talking about. Since BJT mentions he has the same problem, I'm really suprised he hasn't done this mod himself. He and Deb are the king and queen :firstplace: of finding and linking old posts like that for us less computer savy forum members.
Ryde Safe and Enjoy:thumbup:
sabunim5

bjt
07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
... quite a while back someone posted a mod where they had done what you are talking about. Since BJT mentions he has the same problem, I'm really suprised he hasn't done this mod himself. He and Deb are the king and queen :firstplace: of finding and linking old posts like that for us less computer savy forum members.
Ryde Safe and Enjoy:thumbup:
sabunim5

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-020.gif I don't recall seeing anything concerning the 'shin banging parking brake'. :D

Basically, I have not found any one post where they found the definitive fix to the sticking parking brake pedal and I got so tired of the thing not releasing properly that I quit using it. IMO, this is a big thing that BRP needs to get straightened out and working flawlessly on future Spyders. And, if it is a dealership / setup issue, they need to get the service techs trained on how to properly setup the parking brake so there are no more sticking issues.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Battle/viking.gif Rant over.

NancysToy
07-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Have not had parking brake issues that were not resolved by lubricating it every thousand miles or so. I did have to adjust it once. I, too, prefer releasing the brake before I ride to banging my shin, but riding boots take the beating for both of us, so there are no scars. Sometime it is not safe to release it off the Spyder, since it can easily roll on unven ground, so I have learned to stand a little, turn my foot to the side, and use my heel. Releases better that way, anyway, but not as easily as standing beside it.
-Scotty

jeuchler
07-28-2008, 08:49 PM
My method after a few disappointing/painful/embarassing moments wth the p-brake:

1. Lubricate the heck out of it.

2. Stand hard on the brake, weight on the right leg more than 50%, release the p-brake

3. Don't use it at all!

You know how we Spyder ryders don't get the use of cool accessories like kickstand coasters

http://www.newenoughhp.com/image/path/10226/small/top.jpg?1203995979

...or, well, kickstands?

Maybe someone could start marketing little plastic wheel chocks

http://www.blackandgray.com/images07/chocks/pc4dims.gif http://www.pennsy.com/images/wheel_chocks_bottom.jpg
http://www.discountramps.com/hdImages/large-wheel-chocks.jpg

(with appropriate color scheme and corporate logos, of course) with a little snap on attachment for, maybe, one of the grab bars so it's handy....or mount it to the top of the windshield so it acts as another fairing, and they'd be right in view so more difficult to forget to place them when parking...? :joke: nojoke

SpyderMark
07-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Sometime it is not safe to release it off the Spyder, since it can easily roll on unven ground, so I have learned to stand a little, turn my foot to the side, and use my heel.

My wife ("our" Spyder's actual owner/ryder) only weighs 120 lbs or so. If Spydie started rolling on a hill there is no way she could stop it. Unfortunately, that means it is sometimes hard for her to release the parking brake while aboard. I suggested she leave Spydie in gear AND apply the parking brake when leaving her unattended. That way, Wifey can stand to the side and release the brake without fear Spydie will attempt an escape.

So far, no escape attempts...:spyder:

Regards,

Mark

Zerocool
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
My wife ("our" Spyder's actual owner/ryder) only weighs 120 lbs or so. If Spydie started rolling on a hill there is no way she could stop it. Unfortunately, that means it is sometimes hard for her to release the parking brake while aboard. I suggested she leave Spydie in gear AND apply the parking brake when leaving her unattended. That way, Wifey can stand to the side and release the brake without fear Spydie will attempt an escape.

So far, no escape attempts...:spyder:

Regards,

Mark

Here's what I found. You don't need to slam the parking brake to the ground to engage it (I was.) Press gently, you'll hear a few clicks, it's set.

I've experienced what everyone here is stating, engaging the parking brake then unable to disengage it. So I played with it a bit last weekend and that's what I found.

I'd be interested if others find the same effect?

NancysToy
07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Here's what I found. You don't need to slam the parking brake to the ground to engage it (I was.) Press gently, you'll hear a few clicks, it's set.

I've experienced what everyone here is stating, engaging the parking brake then unable to disengage it. So I played with it a bit last weekend and that's what I found.

I'd be interested if others find the same effect?
I found that, and you are right, being gentle helps. Unfortunately, my wife then started being too gentle. Spyder brake was not adequately engaged sometimes. I spray the entire latching mechanism with WD40 regularly, keep the cable adjusted properly, and lube the cable often. That has made the brake quite predictable and it has behaved well.
-Scotty

SpyderMark
07-30-2008, 06:43 AM
I found that, and you are right, being gentle helps. Unfortunately, my wife then started being too gentle. Spyder brake was not adequately engaged sometimes. I spray the entire latching mechanism with WD40 regularly, keep the cable adjusted properly, and lube the cable often. That has made the brake quite predictable and it has behaved well.
:agree:

If you're on a steep enough hill you HAVE to use a little oomph on the parking brake or it won't hold...

The key to a smoothly functioning parking brake is keeping it clean and lubed. It's a PITA, but everything I've ever loved, driven, flown or ridden that was worth keeping required a little patience and TLC now and again!

Regards,

Mark

NancysToy
07-30-2008, 07:41 AM
The key to a smoothly functioning parking brake is keeping it clean and lubed. It's a PITA, but everything I've ever loved, driven, flown or ridden that was worth keeping required a little patience and TLC now and again!
Well said, Mark! :2thumbs:

aubierules
07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
either welding a small handle..not too tall...on the parking brake lever to push it with my hand...i have an se5 and if u dont put the brake on it keeps beeping loudly until u do...its hard to activate/deactivate from the bike and not safe, as others have mentioned, to get off and do it....especially if u actually need it on a steep hill...the trick will be not to make the handle too tall as to accidentally bump it under way..will let u know what i come up with

brooklyn z
07-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Try a little wd40 on parking brake, it does wonders.
On or off the bike its ez as pie:yes: