PDA

View Full Version : Julian ride

Spanky
07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi All,
I am looking to setup a Julian ride.

I was hoping the SoCal folks could meet up with Lamonster when he is in town. It would be nice to check out his modestly modded Spyder :D. Lamonster is this OK for you?

We all could meet in Julian or meet in our respective areas and ride into Julian. Anyway you look at it I suggest we at least hit up Mom's Pie house.

Please post your ideas on how to coordinate this. :chat:

ataDude
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi All,

I was hoping the SoCal folks could meet up with Lamonster when he is in town. It would be nice to check out his modestly modded Spyder :D. Lamonster is this OK for you?

We all could meet in Julian or meet in our respective areas and ride into Julian. Anyway you look at it I suggest we at least hit up Mom's Pie house.

Apple pie! Sometimes I wish I stilled lived out there (Poway) except for the fires, earthquakes, mudslides, real estate costs....:D

Free bump for ya.

Lamonster
07-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe Santa Ysabel would be a good place to meet and then ride up to Julian on the :spyder::thumbup:

http://www.julianca.com/map/_derived/location.htm_txt_map2.gif

trikester
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Maybe Santa Ysabel would be a good place to meet and then ride up to Julian on the :spyder::thumbup:

http://www.julianca.com/map/_derived/location.htm_txt_map2.gif

Santa Ysabel sounds good to me. I go through there every time I drive out to my desert cabin (near Agua Caliente). I would trailer my Spyder to my cabin and then ride back over to Santa Ysabel to meet. Riding back through Julian with the group and eventually back to my desert cabin, which is a nice ride on desert highway S-2.

Of course this would depend on what day we do this. I will be at my cabin starting August 1st, but unavailable to ride (committed to another event) on the 2nd. After the 2nd I'd be up for it.

Lamont, what is your schedule in the area?

BTW - Anybody riding back to my desert place with me could try out my dual sport Yamaha trike conversion (if you had enough time, before riding back to your starting place).

NOTE: There are no commercial services of any kind, in the 45 miles (one way) between Julian and my desert place.

smokster
07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Hi All,

I want to go !
When is the big event?

Spanky
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I want to go !
When is the big event?

What we need to know is when Lamonster will be in the area. :dontknow:

The Santa Ysabel idea is a good one because the roads all meet there before Julian.

katnapper
07-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Can I show up with 18 wheels?... after all the load I have delivers in Calexico!

Lamonster
07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I won't have a date till I figure out when I'm heading home. We can make it a weekend trip though.:doorag:

trikester
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I won't have a date till I figure out when I'm heading home. We can make it a weekend trip though.:doorag:

Please keep us posted, Lamont. It looks like there is definitely SoCal interest in this ride. I hope the timing works out for me!

Ken5517 / Wish Again
07-25-2008, 02:22 PM

I'm in - just decide the date

patches
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like fun. I used to live in La Jolla and go to apple fest in Julian all the time. There are some of the countries best bed and breakfast places up there. Now I live in NC, so not a bad trade off.

trikester
07-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Lamontster says in his "ride to San Diego' thread that he could do the Julian ride on Saturday August 9th. :thumbup:

What about it guys?

Frank

Spanky
07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Lamontster says in his "ride to San Diego' thread that he could do the Julian ride on Saturday August 9th. :thumbup:

What about it guys?

Frank

All we need is a time to meet at Santa Ysabel and then it's set.

trikester
07-30-2008, 11:31 PM
All we need is a time to meet at Santa Ysabel and then it's set.

Lamont, what about it? Are we on for Saturday Aug 9th? What time in Santa Ysabel?

It will take me about an hour to get there from my desert cabin. I don't know how far the others are coming from.

Lamonster
07-31-2008, 07:36 AM
How about noon or so? I can pretty much be there at any time.:doorag::spyder:

trikester
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
How about noon or so? I can pretty much be there at any time.:doorag::spyder:

Noon it is then.

Here it is: Saturday, 08/09, 12:00 noon @ Santa Ysabel.

There are usually a number of bikes there (near Dudley's Bakery) on a Saturday but we have the advantage of not looking like the other bikes so we can find each other easily. :spyder:

Frank

Spanky
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Noon it is then.

See ya there.....

smokster
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Lamont, what about it? Are we on for Saturday Aug 9th? What time in Santa Ysabel?

It will take me about an hour to get there from my desert cabin. I don't know how far the others are coming from.

I am in, Trister, do you want to ride there together?

trikester
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I am in, Trister, do you want to ride there together?

Hi Smokester,

I'll already be at my desert cabin which is an hour east of Santa Ysabel so I'll be riding back up through Julian from there, and down to Santa Ysabel to meet you guys. I've got the Spyder on the trailer right now and will be taking it to the desert tomorrow (Fri.). If it's not too hot I will probably do some early rides, during next week, in the desert.

smokster
07-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Smokester,

I'll already be at my desert cabin which is an hour east of Santa Ysabel so I'll be riding back up through Julian from there, and down to Santa Ysabel to meet you guys. I've got the Spyder on the trailer right now and will be taking it to the desert tomorrow (Fri.). If it's not too hot I will probably do some early rides, during next week, in the desert.

Cool, let me know when and where everyone is meeting.

trikester
08-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Cool, let me know when and where everyone is meeting.

I did, look back.

Frank

BTW - a good start to the ride would be to the Hideout (near Lake Henshaw) from Santa Ysabel. We could have a hamburger and a beer, or soft drink, and then go back through Santa Ysabel and up to Julian. The Hideout is only open on Sat and Sun and gets a huge number of bikes on good weekends.

Spanky
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I did, look back.

Frank

BTW - a good start to the ride would be to the Hideout (near Lake Henshaw) from Santa Ysabel. We could have a hamburger and a beer, or soft drink, and then go back through Santa Ysabel and up to Julian. The Hideout is only open on Sat and Sun and gets a huge number of bikes on good weekends.

Is anyone else going to join?????

:2thumbs::spyder:

smokster
08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Is anyone else going to join?????

:2thumbs::spyder:
So... is it Lake Henshaw or Santa Ysabel?

trikester
08-07-2008, 11:39 PM
So... is it Lake Henshaw or Santa Ysabel?

We meet in Santa Ysabel, noon, per the original plan, and ride from there to the Hideout. I only mentioned Lake Henshaw because that is the general direction we go, to get to the Hideout, sorry about the confusion. We don't actually go all the way to the lake.

After the Hideout we go back through Santa Ysabel and on up to Julian.

It has been difficult to know from day to day if Lamont is going to join us. He has had a lot of problems with his Spyder and he hasn't kept me up to date on whether he can ride with us or not. The last thing that I saw, he posted several days ago and it was iffy with him again.

trikester
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi guys,

Lamonster posted this morning (Friday) that he is on for the ride. :2thumbs:

I'll see you all in Santa Ysabel at noon Saturday. I'll be looking for the Spyders. :spyder:

smokster
08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi guys,

Lamonster posted this morning (Friday) that he is on for the ride. :2thumbs:

I'll see you all in Santa Ysabel at noon Saturday. I'll be looking for the Spyders. :spyder:
Dont believe I can now make it.
Sure you will have fun just the same
Be safe !

Twodog185
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Santa Ysabel looks like one of those places in the movies where the carload of teenagers stop for a coke before "wanting" to drive off and camp at some small lake. But they never get out of town. There's something in the mountains and everybody in town knows the secret, but afraid to speak up.

If I see a teenage "rape the girls, kill the guys" movie and there's junk Spyders behind some abandone shaft that "it" uses for a dungeon, I'll know where they filmed it.

Don't go in the gas station, and never go looking for your lost friend, "alone".

Have a good ride..:2thumbs:

Twodog185
08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
That's the whole town....

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/twodog35120/Image1-1.jpg

smokster
08-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Santa Ysabel looks like one of those places in the movies where the carload of teenagers stop for a coke before "wanting" to drive off and camp at some small lake. But they never get out of town. There's something in the mountains and everybody in town knows the secret, but afraid to speak up.

If I see a teenage "rape the girls, kill the guys" movie and there's junk Spyders behind some abandone shaft that "it" uses for a dungeon, I'll know where they filmed it.

Don't go in the gas station, and never go looking for your lost friend, "alone".

Have a good ride..:2thumbs:
Yeah, what he said.

trikester
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Smokester - really sorry you won't be there. :(

Wheelz
08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Now if I can only find a way to bring my wheelchair along I would join ya guys. trying to figure out somekind of tote or just strapping it to the back somehow then I could do longer rides. :( I might just drive to Ysable and drive back home. I'm out in Rancho Bernardo not too far away.

trikester
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Now if I can only find a way to bring my wheelchair along I would join ya guys. trying to figure out somekind of tote or just strapping it to the back somehow then I could do longer rides. :( I might just drive to Ysable and drive back home. I'm out in Rancho Bernardo not too far away.

DO IT! :thumbup:

We should meet in front of Dudley's Bakery. However, as someone already pointed out it's a very small town so Spyders anywhere would be easy to spot. :yes:

Lamonster
08-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Trikester was the only one who made it but we still had a great ride. We rode to the Hideout, Palamar, and then Julian. The weather was great and the Spyders did great. I'm feeling a lot better about my ride home now. I had no isues and the Spyder ran great.

Here's a few pics.

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/9/5/e/95e495fc7b4eee3db8ec5361ddfdc3911_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/b/8/1/b813a5489b9958cb6cb8d3b900411d141_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/7/6/a/76aa7449d875f836d98187e8034551ce1_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/8/5/6/856500267c3351b71175be7cd3d11ead0_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/f/d/f/fdf52b4894134361f10c70e2dcd0c2910_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/d/8/2/d82defb3701a75a5d859578f556180ed0_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/0/2/a/02ad27bc0a1a56573dc808bff63e59a20_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/9/e/d/9ed43e097a9bd578e2705a067fa522600_large.jpg
http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080810/f/0/6/f067b6ed9d7fc5ff3c4a79416008ff760_large.jpg

Greg H.
08-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Very nice, Lamont! :thumbup:

trikester
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Trikester was the only one who made it but we still had a great ride. We rode to the Hideout, Palamar, and then Julian. The weather was great and the Spyders did great. I'm feeling a lot better about my ride home now. I had no isues and the Spyder ran great.

:agree: What he said!

BTW - Lamontster, 172 miles total, when I reached my desert cabin, and I still had three bars on my gas gauge.

COSpyder
08-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the pic of Palomar. I have not seen it since my field trip in 8th grade!

Spanky
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM

Well Ok, I really feel like Willy Lunchmeat.....I posted I was going then a last minute family problem arose, literally within 15 minutes of leaving. I will just say everything turned out OK. :(

My sincerest apologies go out to Lamonster and Trikester for probably waiting. I really wanted to be there for the ride. Now I feel like a real jackazz for not showing. :bowdown: Next time lunch is on me.

I am glad you guys had a great ride. The pics look awesome.

trikester
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the pic of Palomar. I have not seen it since my field trip in 8th grade!

I was telling Lamonster when we were standing in the shade on Palomar, that the only other times I had been up there was to do the dirt downhill, Nate Harrison Grade, on a Greenspeed. The Greenspeed is an Auslralian recumbent (yes, human powered) trike with the two wheels in front. In the seat my butt was about 6" of of the road. I had mounted knobbies on all three wheels and loved doing fast dirt downhills. I would get someone to haul me up Palomar, on the paved road, in their truck and then I would ride back down the 12 mile dirt decent.

The mistake I made, when I did this the first time, was to be dropped off at the observatory thinking I wanted to start there. However, I had not realized that there is an uphill section of the pavement before getting back out to the restaurant - close to the start of the dirt downhill. Well it was a hot day and at about 5,000 feet and I felt like I was going to die, pedaling that trike up the road. There were spots where the trees shaded the road and at some of those I would just stop pedaling for a few minutes until I cooled off. The nice thing about a trike is that I could just come to a stop and sit there - no need to get off or stand up.

Needless to say, the next time I did this, I got dropped off at the restaurant and avoided the uphill. Sure I feel like a wuss when I watch the Tour de France, but I still have fun.

Riding that road on my Spyder, following Lamonster, for the first time since those recumbent bicycle (trike) rides, brought back all of those memories. :) It was a lot less physical work this time, however! ;)