PDA

View Full Version : Lou--pirate Powersports--the best

Dan_Ashley
12-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Is it ok to brag about your mechanic on this forum? I hope so...
Lou the guy who owns Pirate Motorsports on Center St in Riverside IS THE BEST! He has customers bringing their bikes from 150 miles away--just for an oil change (really)! He did a 9,000 mile service for me, and what a great job he did!

If anyone has a guy 1/2 as good as Lou, you got a winner!

oops...correction: 6,000 mile service.

Chupaca
12-27-2013, 10:51 PM
most of the guys/gals at spyder ryder of america san diego go to him. It's a drive and if he needs time you need a way back and forth...but he is that good..!! :2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
12-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Glad you got a good mechanic, i generaly drive 250 miles to Pitbull Powersports for any service, great dealer

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wyliec
12-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Lou the guy who owns Pirate Motorsports on Center St in Riverside IS THE BEST! He has customers bringing their bikes from 150 miles away--just for an oil change (really)! He did a 9,000 mile service for me, and what a great job he did!

Excellent mechanics are hard to come by, based on what I've read here. I'm curious, are you going by the old maintenance schedule, which was 3,000, 6,000, 12,000 miles for most items? I ask only because I've the newer maintenance schedule sitting next to my computer. It lists 4,600, 9,300, 14,000 miles for most of the maintenance items.

ARtraveler
12-28-2013, 02:29 PM
It is always good to hear about mechanics and dealerships that do well. They do not always get the front row here.

ScottyB
12-28-2013, 02:59 PM
What sets the bar so high with Lou of Pirate Powersport (in my opinion) over "any" dealership is his real compassion for what he does and his outstanding customer service. He cares about all his customers and it is truly sincere. His knowledge and workmanship is far ahead of any that I came across. He does not give you the run around and gives it to you straight. After many frustrations with on going issues and fabrication stories by my original dealership service department, it has been a blessing finding someone like Lou. I never knew what it was, to truly have the performance and ride after Lou worked on my bike. If you or anyone you know has not taken their Spyder to Lou then trust me and everyone else that has suggested going to him to trust us and take your Spyder to him. You will not be sorry in anyway.

Dan_Ashley
12-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Excellent mechanics are hard to come by, based on what I've read here. I'm curious, are you going by the old maintenance schedule, which was 3,000, 6,000, 12,000 miles for most items? I ask only because I've the newer maintenance schedule sitting next to my computer. It lists 4,600, 9,300, 14,000 miles for most of the maintenance items.
I am kind of a maintenance nut. I worked on a project once where the company automated the entire maintenance program. I learned a lot about the value of preventative maintenance. It pays off multiple times over. I always by my vehicles new, and then drive them until they fall apart. I normally get about 250,000 plus out of my cars. So, I decided that regardless what the book says, I am going to do it the way I've always done it. Oil change and adjustment service every 3,000 miles. Tune up every 15,000. ALL fluids changed every 20,000 (actually 21,000 because of the oil change interval), and a major tune up every 30,000.

So, maybe I waste a little money by being too aggressive with the preventative maintenance. But I get the money back with the extended miles/value I get from my vehicles.

I am kind of a maintenance nut. I admit it.

Blue Star
12-28-2013, 07:43 PM

The maintenance schedule for California did not change due to C.A.R.P. regulations (according to a friend that works in the motorcycle business), but I would find it hard for BRP to say a warranty issue was caused because you went 4600 miles instead of 3000 in California. By the way, Lou says it all depends on the type of ryding you do as to when to change the oil.

Dan_Ashley
12-28-2013, 07:52 PM
The maintenance schedule for California did not change due to C.A.R.P. regulations (according to a friend that works in the motorcycle business), but I would find it hard for BRP to say a warranty issue was caused because you went 4600 miles instead of 3000 in California. By the way, Lou says it all depends on the type of ryding you do as to when to change the oil.
Type of riding??? I ride sitting on the Spyder....if I stood up would my oil last longer?
What you mean???? :hun: Me no understand.

wyliec
12-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Type of riding??? I ride sitting on the Spyder....if I stood up would my oil last longer?
What you mean???? :hun: Me no understand.

I think highway vs city driving.

Dan_Ashley
12-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Oh..so if highway then longer between oil changes?

Blue Star
12-29-2013, 12:16 AM

Yes, the more stop and go, the harder it is on the motor (just like cars).

Oh..so if highway then longer between oil changes?

Yep, and if you use full synthetic, or semi. Lou only uses Full unless you request different.

Dan_Ashley
12-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, the more stop and go, the harder it is on the motor (just like cars).

Yep, and if you use full synthetic, or semi. Lou only uses Full unless you request different.

Good to know. As for me, I am going to continue with my anally retentive practice of 3,000 miles between services.

Blue Star
12-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Good to know. As for me, I am going to continue with my anally retentive practice of 3,000 miles between services.

Nothing wrong with that.

Gunkandpudge
12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
my vote goes to spyderpops :bowdown:

Desert Spyder
12-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Not only has Lou been my personal mechanic for the last five years but he is also my friend. It is not unusual for him to let you use his truck to fetch food or go to the mall with your wife while he works on the bike. Nearly all my chapters members have used him at one time or another. He does not do warranty repairs however. You would need to take the bike to a dealer for this. Not sure about the extended warranties like from Western Service. His schedule is tight but his has taken time from his busy schedule to go on the local Spyder runs from SRA and West Coast Spyder. We need more like him in our Spyder community.

Blue Star
12-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Not only has Lou been my personal mechanic for the last five years but he is also my friend. It is not unusual for him to let you use his truck to fetch food or go to the mall with your wife while he works on the bike. Nearly all my chapters members have used him at one time or another. He does not do warranty repairs however. You would need to take the bike to a dealer for this. Not sure about the extended warranties like from Western Service. His schedule is tight but his has taken time from his busy schedule to go on the local Spyder runs from SRA and West Coast Spyder. We need more like him in our Spyder community.

He has let me use his truck to pick up my wife's scooter to take to him instead of me having to rent one (he fixed it as a favor since he normally don't work on them), and brought it to my Apartment so my daughter could use it when she came home on leave (this was back in 2011). The only mechanic I will use. Yes he can do Western Service warranty work, just not BRP or Best.

MRH
12-30-2013, 09:50 AM
No question here, Lou is outstanding. When I first took my Spyder into him I watched him take it all apart. What scared me is how many corners the two dealers I had used previously had clearly cut in just putting on the tupperware wrong (there were missing bolts and pieces attached quickly rather than correctly). I actually learned something about my bike, and it was very clear that he wouldn't settle for doing anything in less than the best possible way.

funco4all
12-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I agree Great guy. My path crossed with him when i was looking to buy my first can am that he was selling for a coustomer. He was than working out of his home and needed every coustomer and now he has his own shop and still takes time to anwser the phone when some one calls and is always willing to help even suggest a quick repair that you could do your self. I have refered several friends and other riders to him as well and never a bad report. Some of my issues have had to go to local dealer because im not sure if he can cover all warrintee issues with BRP you might want to verfiy with him first. Defintly a great guy and good machanic.

MRH
12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Lou can't do BRP warranty repairs anymore (not his fault), but I'm lucky to have a Western Service warranty (which he can accept). I know that BRP listens here, so I'll say that on my next Spyder my decision about which warranty to invest in will depend on what Lou is authorized to accept. BRP, you shouldn't keep your best maintenance person from being able to work on your behalf. Besides, with the way he takes care of his bikes, there will end up being less work you'll have to have done, anyway.

Dan_Ashley
12-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Lou can't do BRP warranty repairs anymore (not his fault), but I'm lucky to have a Western Service warranty (which he can accept). I know that BRP listens here, so I'll say that on my next Spyder my decision about which warranty to invest in will depend on what Lou is authorized to accept. BRP, you shouldn't keep your best maintenance person from being able to work on your behalf. Besides, with the way he takes care of his bikes, there will end up being less work you'll have to have done, anyway.
My understanding is that Lou used to do BRP warranty work. However, one of the local dealers complained to BRP that Lou was stealing their business.

I am guessing that the dealer that complained is the one located in San Bernardino, not the one in Riverside. I mean complaining rather than improving service levels would seem to match the "personality" of the San Bernardino dealership.

Desert Spyder
12-31-2013, 10:15 AM
And whats more he doesn't charge you for watching him work. LOL. On the contrary he deducted from my bill to help him bleed my brakes. Huh?

Blue Star
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
And whats more he doesn't charge you for watching him work. LOL. On the contrary he deducted from my bill to help him bleed my brakes. Huh?

He lets you help him? He made me watch a Blue-ray movie on his large screen surround sound while he worked on mine.

Desert Spyder
12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
He lets you help him? He made me watch a Blue-ray movie on his large screen surround sound while he worked on mine.

What cartoon movie?

Dan_Ashley
12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Me too. I wanna know that.

Blue Star
12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
What cartoon movie?

They were not cartoons, Pirates of the Caribbean (surprised), and another that I don't remember.

Dan_Ashley
12-31-2013, 04:36 PM
They were not cartoons, Pirates of the Caribbean (surprised), and another that I don't remember.
Pirate movie at Pirate Powersports--who woulda thunk it!

Dat Guy
01-03-2014, 02:32 AM
I'm working with Lou now. I live 2 hours away from him but based on recommendations here I dropped off my brand new 13 RT SE5 with him on November the 8th and I haven't received it back from him yet. Here's what he's doing for me:

-600 mile service
-Alarm wired and installed (Gorilla 8007 alarm)
-Wrapped Exhaust header and exhaust pipes
-Heat taped tank and body panels
-Digital Water Temp & Volt Meter to replace the OEM fuel and temp gauges
-Mounted Muth turn signal mirrors to replace the OEM mirrors
-Kewlmetal and RAM center mounts for phone/gps
-Power cable ran through center of handlebars
-BajaRon's sway bar and links installed
-Upgrade speakers
-Adjustable BRP wind deflectors
-Battery tender added
-Maybe a couple of other small things I can't remember off the top of my head

He fixed a few things the dealer screwed up whenever they put it back together after doing the recall mod that I never even knew about, and suggested a couple of other things I decided to do that I wouldn't have known of before as well. I've been pretty understanding since I had a laundry list of things I wanted him to do and I know he's a 1 man operation. I'm also more concerned about the quality of the work so I haven't rushed him, although after 2 months I am really missing my Spyder and jonesing to ride! I think he'll be done with it in the next few days. I'll post a follow up on his workmanship after I get it back.

Dat Guy
01-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Well, I got my Spyder back about a week ago from Lou. Waited a few days to make sure everything works just right, and it sure does. I can tell a MAJOR difference in the heat near my right foot. It was blistering hot even in cool weather before he wrapped the pipes, but now I barely notice it, which is odd because I always thought it was radiator heat I was feeling on my foot. Anyway, I'm very happy with his workmanship and will definitely be using him for further custom mods and servicing in the future. Highly recommended!

Steven Young
06-22-2016, 12:58 AM
Is Lou still into working on Spyders? From what I read, he is the man for my new 2016 F3 LMTD. Since I live in Palm Springs. I would like a few extras installed along with my first inspection and oil change at 3,000.