PDA

View Full Version : Broken Spring Clamp

Web Runner
12-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to pass along some information: The other day I noticed a nice puddle of oil underneath the oil reservoir side of the bike. So, I suspected that I might have added too much oil the last time I checked it. However, that was not the case. After taking it out for a ride to get the engine to temperature, I checked the oil level as per the owner's manual. It was just under the full mark on the dipstick. After looking over the oil reservoir, it seemed like oil was leaking from the top rubber hose were it connects from the engine to the top of the reservoir. Everything looked ok until I tried to adjust the clamp. It broke into two pieces the moment I touched it with the pliers. I figured since the clamp was just barely hanging on, this was the source of the problem. I used a worm clamp (I think that is what they are called) as a temp until I can get a replacement spring clamp. My bike has just under 8,000 miles and this is the original clamp. To the best of my knowlege it has not been moved or adjusted before.8094980950

coz
12-24-2013, 04:45 PM
i would leave it just as it is. spring clamps are junk. jmho.:thumbup:

Chupaca
12-24-2013, 05:03 PM
keep the worm clamp, they work better. Spring clamps should not be used on oil lines. Imho and as I do work on my roadster and remove oem clamps I replace them with worm drive clamps...:thumbup:

jerpinoy
12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Good info for everybody. You got a better clamp replacement.

ulflyer
12-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the info; I'll take a look at mine. :2thumbs:

Web Runner
12-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Went riding Friday and am happy to report no oil puddles after the ride!