PDA

View Full Version : VIBRATION

RidersInChrist
12-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi everyone,
Question I have been having vibration in my hands on my 2012 RT..What is the best way to cut that out.
Thanks Chuck

SNOOPY
12-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Turn the engine off. http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/surfinamma/smilietease.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/surfinamma/media/smilietease.gif.html)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :opps:

SNOOPY
12-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Seems to me that the most direct link to the handlebars would be the front suspension, perhaps checking tire pressure would be the first, easiest check. Then tire balance and/or alignment.

RidersInChrist
12-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Seems to me that the most direct link to the handlebars would be the front suspension, perhaps checking tire pressure would be the first, easiest check. Then tire balance and/or alignment.

It's a 2012, its a new bike..its not like i have a 2000 model.lol everything is all good suspension and tire pressure. Ive only got 4000 miles on it. And ive put them all on myself...well wife has put on 500, if that.That's not much miles compared to most riders out there..
Thanks
Chuck

Bob Denman
12-23-2013, 07:43 AM
A set of soft foam Grip Puppies would help. :thumbup:
If you can find them; weighted bar-end caps would also quell the vibes. They make them for the RS model; I've never seen them for RTs... :dontknow:

RidersInChrist
12-23-2013, 07:53 AM
If you can find them; weighted bar-end caps would also quell the vibes. They make them for the RS model; I've never seen them for RTs... :dontknow:

what is the wear like on the grip puppies...are they good grips? How do they wear? are they worth the money?
Thanks chuck

Bob Denman
12-23-2013, 07:58 AM
They don't last as onlg as the grip underneath them; but they're far cheaper, and much more easily replaced.
Something that I forgot to mention; :opps:
Have you had your belt tension checked? Sometimes as they loosen up; they'll allow some noticeable vibration to enter the picture... :shocked:
(Treat the root cause; not just the sympton!:thumbup:)

anthony422
12-23-2013, 09:16 AM
maybe relax yur grip a bit:yikes:

belowme29
12-23-2013, 09:31 AM
I would take it to your dealer and let them work on it. If you do not have tire wear, or at least noticeable tire wear, I would suspect that something is going on with your belt. When I accelerate I notice a lot of vibration in my hands. If you notice uneven wear on your front tires - get the dealer to align. OR if you are close enough to Lamont, get him to align your front end.

Good luck in getting the vibration figured out.

RidersInChrist
12-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Who do I go thru to get the grip puppies..I'll start there and hopefully that will help.
Thanks
chuck

JKMSPYDER
12-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Just google grip puppies or grip buddies. They have a website.

gypsy_100
12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Who do I go thru to get the grip puppies..I'll start there and hopefully that will help.
Thanks
chuck

I really like the Grip Buddies. Their new material seems to last a long time -- I've got about 10K on a set and they are still like new. Great guy to work with, made in upstate NY. Put them on all my bikes. http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

If you're wondering why the beemer website, he started out making them just for BMW's but word got around and he expanded with sizes to fit most all motorcycles.

BajaRon
12-23-2013, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

RBS66
12-23-2013, 11:16 AM
I prefer the grip puppies they do not have a seam. I believe their website is California sport touring.

R FUN
12-23-2013, 11:38 AM
I have a 2012 RT LTD and also had the viberation. I was getting some tire wear on left tire inside. I aligned the front end, remouved the wheel weights and added tire beads, ride on would likely also work, and the viberation is totally gone. I would find the cause first before trying to mask it. The poor front tires can also be a major problem.
Roger

Chupaca
12-23-2013, 12:22 PM
now you have a lot of suggestions..but do start with trying to find the problem. High air pressure, alignment and front shock settings or condition is you best start. Belt, grip, engine mounts and road conditions should follow..but for added comfort you can go to grip changes..good luck..:thumbup:

Spyderdale
12-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone,
Question I have been having vibration in my hands on my 2012 RT..What is the best way to cut that out.
Thanks ChuckHad the same problem with my 2013 Rt. Had tires balanced 3 times, still vibrated badly. Long story short, it was a bad tire which the dealer promptly replaced. Also installed a smooth spyder belt tensioner which eliminated some of the other vibration problems. Feels great now.:):)

gypsy_100
12-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I prefer the grip puppies they do not have a seam. I believe their website is California sport touring.

Different strokes for different folks. For me, the seam in Grip Buddies is of no consequence. And that includes riding hundred of miles a day for 15 days in a row on two separate trips. Whatever floats your boat.

In any event, any reduction in vibration from using grip covers will be subtle. If the original poster is having serious vibe problems, something else is going on as many others have stated in this thread.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-27-2013, 06:02 PM
IMHO....I think the first thing you should determine is wether you have normal vibration or something beyond normal......If it's beyond Normal FIX the problem .....don't mask it with Grip puppies or anything else......go to a dealership and test drive a few others to see if it's similar....or if you know someone with a similar Spyder have them swap with you for a testing session....................Mike :thumbup:

finless
12-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Can I say something that might help?
I have had my 2011 since June this year and bought it with only 450 miles in it. Basically new.
The vibrations I felt have changed in the 3000 I have put on it. Nothing major or anything but as the spyder wears stuff changes and noise and vibrations change. Well at least that has been my experience.
I am one of those people that tune to a machine and pick up on subtle changes. If you are too, I say expect more "feel" changes if that make since?

Bob

spacetiger
12-27-2013, 11:09 PM
you need a drive belt tensioner

Jerry

RidersInChrist
12-29-2013, 09:31 PM

SO IS IT THE GRIP PUPPIES OR GRIP BUDDIES !!!!..KINDA CORN-FUSED..:banghead:

CHUCK

RidersInChrist
12-29-2013, 09:36 PM
you need a drive belt tensioner

Jerry

I HAVE A 2012 ...WHY WOULD I NEED A BELT TENSIONER FOR..MY BELT JUST HAS 4000 MILES ON IT....MY THOUGHT IS IF I NEED A BELT TENSIONER ON MY :spyder2:
SO SOON THEN THEY SHOULD JUST COME OUT WITH THEM ON THERE ,LIKE FACTORY...CUZ I HAVE HARDLY ANY MILES ON IT AT ALL.
CHUCK

NancysToy
12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
All toothed belts have a tendency to bounce around on the slack side of the pulleys. The longer the run, the more the movement...and resulting vibration. Some owners find this vibration problematic or objectionable. In those cases an idler pulley (known erroneously as a tensioner) can help quell the vibrations.