PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting rear shock.

Dkerr
12-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Can someone tell me what is the best tool to use when adjusting the rear shock preload on my 2009 RS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Frank G
12-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Not an easy adjustment!:gaah: After lubricating the cam well, I used an extension on the breaker bar in the square hole to do the turning. Additionally I had to re leave some of the spring pressure with a pry bar. Good Luck, you will make this adjustment only once. :banghead:

DrewNJ
12-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Jack it up and take pressure off the spring. Its pretty easy.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Sarge707
12-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I jack it a little and use a 10 inch extension into the fitting attached from below to My beam torque wrench.

Chupaca
12-21-2013, 12:58 PM
if you have the original tool kit they supply you with a tool for the adjustment. Adding leverage to it helps. There are also other spanner wrenchs that work from other bikes. Collected a lot of them but can't remember which is which...
80856 this is the oem from tool kit with my own extension. No need to lift unit..:roflblack:

lawson001
12-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Perhaps not recommended by most techs, but I use a 30" piece of 1"
Black iron pipe as an extension to the spanner. Easy-Peasy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Frank G
12-22-2013, 07:58 AM
The Spanner Wrench does not work on the rear spring adjuster. It is used on the front adjusters. Complete instructions are in the owners manual and are available on line.

DrewNJ
12-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Be careful with extensions guys. I can see how it would be really easy to snap the adjusting tab off the side of the shock.
Your much better off taking some of the load off the spring before adjusting.

Flanker
12-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Be careful with extensions guys. I can see how it would be really easy to snap the adjusting tab off the side of the shock.
Your much better off taking some of the load off the spring before adjusting.

Ditto! I jack my Spyder up, put some lube on the cam button and ramps, then take the extension to it.