PDA

View Full Version : Not only Danica...

bruiser
12-17-2013, 03:09 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2013/12/14/would-you-buy-a-three-wheeler-from-mark-messier/

ARtraveler
12-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Interesting. I feel better that they are putting more than just one egg in the celebrity basket. Hopefully, the celebrities will actually do some riding and get to know the machine enough to actually answer peoples' questions. It looks like the actual ryders have been given the kiss off where it comes to endorsements.

I mentioned in a similar thread yesterday that I don't always agree with the marketing people at BRP--but I was hooked on the product before there was any advertising--just a quarter page article in a motorcycle mag, and a picture.

It's BRP's money to spend. If you read the financial information, they seem to be doing very well since they went public.

billybovine
12-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I see the clickable link in the article goes to the wrong company. It links to Bombardier instead of BRP. The fact checkers missed that one.

Sarge707
12-17-2013, 03:32 PM
"It’s an aggressive push by BRP to grow sales in year-round vehicles like the six-year-old Can-Am Spyder, which have been relatively flat in an otherwise good year for the company. On Thursday, BRP announced that third quarter net income rose 52% to $48.2 million from the same period a year ago on an 18% jump in revenue to $866 million. Shares shot up more than 6% on the news. The company, taken private a decade ago by Bain Capital and the Bombardier family, among other investors, spun off a public offering in May. Its’ shares are up about 25% since then." Quote from article !!!

Looks like BRP is doing pretty good. I really never heard of the Guy BUT getting High Level endorsements is part of doing business!!

The New SPARK Jet Ski I,m buying is going to re-invent Jet Sking for younger people-You can get a 50MPH , FUN Ski for $5,699 and a 40 MPH Ski for $4,999- This is unheard of in the day of $10,000 to $15,000 Jet Skies??? It has the torque of the 900cc ACE Bulletproof engine! Can,t wait for Spring!!!!!:yes:

ARtraveler
12-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Just the facts Man:

Would You Buy A Three-Wheeler From Mark Messier?

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/tomvanriper/files/2013/12/Messier_withBike-2-220x300.jpg (http://b-i.forbesimg.com/tomvanriper/files/2013/12/Messier_withBike-2.jpg) Mark Messier pitching the Cam-Spyder at a New York trade show on Dec. 13 (John Riddle)

Who enjoys hitting the open road on a stylish three-wheeler? Those who are adventurous, but not too adventurous. Those midlife crisis victims past age 40 who are getting bored with their cars, but don’t quite have the stomach for a motorcycle. Looking for some speed and action, but…under control.
What major sport delivers that demographic? Hockey. At least that’s the bet that BRP, the official shortened name of the company once known as Bombardier (http://www.forbes.com/companies/bombardier/) Bombardier (http://www.forbes.com/companies/bombardier/) Recreational Products, maker of the Can-Am Spyder and other recreational vehicles, is making. Canadian-based BRP has signed on with the National Hockey League as official sponsor for the league’s outdoor events and playoffs. Retired NHL great Mark Messier is on board as a endorser – he’ll be a major Can-Am brand ambassador, making appearances at this year’s Winter Classic in Ann Arbor, Michigan and at the plethora of additional outdoor games the league has scheduled this season, including two at Yankee Stadium.
“I’ve been an outdoorsman my whole life since growing up in Edmonton,” says Messier, a licensed pilot whose endorsement portfolio was limited during his playing days. “I think it’s important to be authentic.” The six-time Stanley Cup winner becomes Can-Am’s second major athletic endorser, following Danica Patrick (http://www.forbes.com/profile/danica-patrick/). More will follow soon, according to BRP Marketing Director Tom Riley.
“We want to attract those people who aren’t motorcyclists but who want to get out on the open road, the NHL demographic lives up to that,” Riley says.
It’s an aggressive push by BRP to grow sales in year-round vehicles like the six-year-old Can-Am Spyder, which have been relatively flat in an otherwise good year for the company. On Thursday, BRP announced that third quarter net income rose 52% to $48.2 million from the same period a year ago on an 18% jump in revenue to $866 million. Shares shot up more than 6% on the news. The company, taken private a decade ago by Bain Capital and the Bombardier family, among other investors, spun off a public offering in May. Its’ shares are up about 25% since then.
Driving recent revenue growth has been seasonal products like snowmobiles. Trying to boost interest in year-round vehicles, Riley has gotten the green light to sign celebrity endorsers. He’ll be displaying his Spyders outside football-turned-hockey and baseball-turned-hockey stadiums this winter, and even buying up space on the sides of the zamboni machines, where those fans not running back under the stands for warmth between periods will see it.
“We’ve got a big priority on this brand,” says Riley. If he gets a crowd gathered around a Spyder at Yankee Stadium even when Messier isn’t standing nearby, he’ll know he’s guessed right.

jerpinoy
12-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Another additional money to the price of Spyder.:banghead:

Dan McNally
12-17-2013, 04:46 PM
The writer sounds like a twit . . . "Who enjoys hitting the open road on a stylish three-wheeler? Those who are adventurous, but not too adventurous. Those midlife crisis victims past age 40 who are getting bored with their cars, but don’t quite have the stomach for a motorcycle. Looking for some speed and action, but…under control."

Chupaca
12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
they are starting to pop up everywhere...I'm sure there will be more..not everyone is a sports fan...!! ;)

ARtraveler
12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
The writer sounds like a twit . . . "Who enjoys hitting the open road on a stylish three-wheeler? Those who are adventurous, but not too adventurous. Those midlife crisis victims past age 40 who are getting bored with their cars, but don’t quite have the stomach for a motorcycle. Looking for some speed and action, but…under control."

Mix the twit writers and the "semi-unknown" celebrity endorsers and you really have a winning combo going for the product. :dontknow::gaah::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

SNOOPY
12-17-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't know Danica or this guy. :dontknow:

Jeriatric
12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
akspyderman,
"It looks like the actual ryders have been given the kiss off where it comes to endorsements."

2013 was a tough year. It obviously wasn't a great year for spyder sales. In addition, it was a tough year for insiders. Who were by no fault of their own stuck (from a promotional stand point) between the proverbial rock and hard spot. Pretty tough year for any of them to sing praises. Not a comfortable place to be, for sure. One way to avoid hamstringing the all knowing insiders would be to move to a base of uninformed indorsers who's enthusiasm is for the most part motivated by the terms of a contract and a corresponding financial reward. just a thought....

Dan_Ashley
12-17-2013, 06:29 PM
This statement concerns me: " the six-year-old Can-Am Spyder, which have been relatively flat in an otherwise good year for the company". I want Spyder sales to increase. If they do not increase there is a fear on my part that the Spyder will eventually be withdrawn from the market.

WarrenGH
12-17-2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2013/12/14/would-you-buy-a-three-wheeler-from-mark-messier/

Never heard of the guy and he, like Danica, would be the last reason I'd buy a product of any kind.

Jeriatric
12-17-2013, 06:46 PM
“We want to attract those people who aren’t motorcyclists but who want to get out on the open road, the NHL demographic lives up to that,” Riley says.

Never heard of the guy and he, like Danica, would be the last reason I'd buy a product of any kind.

bruiser
12-17-2013, 06:48 PM
How about they get Chuck Norris or Jackie Chan, or Arnold Schwarzenegger? It's all marketing. Danica for the lower 48 and Messier for above the border.

Bob Denman
12-17-2013, 08:07 PM
BRP has hooked up with the NHL... :thumbup:

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=spyder_newsletter&utm_campaign=my14_spyder_en&utm_content=main_canam

ARtraveler
12-17-2013, 08:11 PM
BRP has hooked up with the NHL... :thumbup:

Not surprising. I was told that hockey is Canada's national religion. :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
12-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Not surprising. I was told that hockey is Canada's national religion. :thumbup:

They even have hockey sticks on their money! I don't get BRPs marketing tactics but the fact that they are spending money to promote the product should be good for all of us.

Jeriatric
12-18-2013, 01:13 AM
This statement concerns me: " the six-year-old Can-Am Spyder, which have been relatively flat in an otherwise good year for the company". I want Spyder sales to increase. If they do not increase there is a fear on my part that the Spyder will eventually be withdrawn from the market.

Wouldn't be overly concerned yet. 2013 had to have been an eye opener which almost certainly heightened indavidual accountability company wide. Perhaps best witnessed by the -thought to be- late release of certain model year 2014's. Lets see how the 2014 beta tester reports go and if any additional corrections are offered for those still affected by heat issues model year 2013. Hoping 2014 is a banner year for all things spyder. jm2c

SNOOPY
12-18-2013, 07:33 AM
I like the Spyder niche being small, I feel like the only one in town w one.

Kinda cool :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Remaining part of a niche market would be the Death Knell for BRP's efforts... They've got to grow it, and they know it! :thumbup:

Sarge707
12-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Remaining part of a niche market would be the Death Knell for BRP's efforts... They've got to grow it, and they know it! :thumbup:

Then they should do what they did with the Sea Doo Spark-Small, Nimble, half the price of a Normal Jet Ski?

Produce an "Entry Level" Spyder with the ACE 800 engine (Or Similar) that's Fun, Lighter, Good acceleration and gas mileage and Comes in at $8,999 for the Basic Model without a Frills !!:dontknow:

You get the people hooked because a LOT more can afford to buy it- Then they progress up as they can afford!!!:pray:

Note to BRP: I want a Free One when you do!nojoke

Bob Denman
12-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Would you buy it? :dontknow:
No doubt; they'll need to take a very serious look at how they manage the product lineup...
It'll be interesting to see what the next rhee years hold for them. ;)

Sarge707
12-19-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't know Danica or this guy. :dontknow:

This the New tough Danica ready to Battle "The Boys?"

ARtraveler
12-19-2013, 04:29 PM
This the New tough Danica ready to Battle "The Boys?"

Ouch! :roflblack:

Dan_Ashley
12-19-2013, 05:11 PM
How about they get Chuck Norris or Jackie Chan, or Arnold Schwarzenegger? It's all marketing. Danica for the lower 48 and Messier for above the border.
Not Arnold. California has a population of 38 million and almost every one of the detests that person. How about Bruce Willis, or Tony Danza or ??? Instead?

ARtraveler
12-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Some off the wall suggestions. Evil Knieval Jr., Peter Fonda, Willie G. Now there are some riders that would really bring interest to the brand.

bruiser
12-19-2013, 05:23 PM
:shocked:

Dan_Ashley
12-19-2013, 05:24 PM
I got it!! I do! I do!

wait for it....

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince

Jeriatric
12-19-2013, 05:38 PM
How about a Canadian born representative who knows something about motorcycles, promoting them, and as it happens had a starring role in 'On Any Sunday'.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Smith_(motorcyclist)

spydaman60
12-19-2013, 06:23 PM
it blows my mind that they just don't promote more brp funded events (it would cost less) and us common people that buy the spyders! it doesn't cost much to show pictures of 200 people at spyderquest or 600 or 800 at spyderfest. if people see "joe blow and his wife" enjoying their spyder, you'd think it would do more for sales than danika. and being from the northeast, I do know the past captain of the new york rangers---mark messier!! neither of those celebs would get me excited about the spyder!

Bob Denman
12-19-2013, 06:26 PM
It does pay to have a recognizeable face and voice at the core of your advertising; coupled with the group shots you suggested:

spydaman60
12-19-2013, 06:37 PM
It does pay to have a recognizeable face and voice at the core of your advertising; coupled with the group shots you suggested: they don't show celebrities drinking beer! they show good old boys and girls sitting around having a great time. a celebrity isn't going to make people buy the spyder, that of course is just my feeling!:cheers:

Bob Denman
12-19-2013, 06:40 PM
But they can serve the very useful function of drawing the viewer's attention to the ad...
Then they can cut to the crowds having fun! :thumbup:

spydaman60
12-19-2013, 06:51 PM
But they can serve the very useful function of drawing the viewer's attention to the ad...
Then they can cut to the crowds having fun! :thumbup:i'll jump on the phone and get mark to join us for spyderquest and brp can come take some good shots!!!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-19-2013, 06:53 PM
:shocked: I'm not very photogenic...
Unless I've got my helmet on... chinguard latched... and riding in the opposite direction at a GREAT distance! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
12-19-2013, 07:44 PM
:shocked:

I was just trying to see if anyone was awake. I don't see HD promoters jumping ship anytime soon.

Dan_Ashley
12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Sell the sizzle.
Deliver the steak.

Sell the idea "I can be like the celebrity."
Deliver a Spyder.

This is a time-proven and classical marketing program. It works for everything from shoes to soap. From cars to vacations. People don't buy because of the celebrity, or the sizzle, or the pretty girl walking in a bikini. However, people notice your products because of those images. Then, maybe they will stop at a dealer and look...even better maybe they would see one in a parking lot with a "normal" person sitting on it and start to salivate...yes. I mean physically salivate.

bruiser
12-19-2013, 08:36 PM
I was just trying to see if anyone was awake. I don't see HD promoters jumping ship anytime soon.

Actually that was for that pic of Danica.

hut1
12-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Sell the sizzle.
Deliver the steak.

Sell the idea "I can be like the celebrity."
Deliver a Spyder.

This is a time-proven and classical marketing program. It works for everything from shoes to soap. From cars to vacations. People don't buy because of the celebrity, or the sizzle, or the pretty girl walking in a bikini. However, people notice your products because of those images. Then, maybe they will stop at a dealer and look...even better maybe they would see one in a parking lot with a "normal" person sitting on it and start to salivate...yes. I mean physically salivate.

:agree: