PDA

View Full Version : Installing ISCI hand brake

bluestratos
12-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I installed this system on the weekend and the install is quite easy. The instructions lack a lot of detail that would speed up the install as well but I have had worse. Overall all, someone with minimal mechanical skills can do this project but you should have brake bleeding experience.

I am not posting pictures, the instructions on line have a lot of pictures already. The brake action itself is a disappointment though, even with the optional small hand brake leaver the amount of power it takes to stop the bike for regular braking is about as much as this old mans hands can do. Used together with the foot brake I think it could help with an emergency stop so I will have to give it some time to pass final judgment. This not a criticism of the product, more a realization that I have more arthritis in my hands than I had thought.

I also finished installing my engine temperature gauge and was surprised to see how hot the bike runs just in town, around 207 with air temp at 52 F.

Note, I had said earlier that I was missing parts, this was incorrect. They now preinstall a spring in a different location than shown the plan. My apologies :sour:

3 Wheel Addict
12-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Yep the instructions that come with the kit are for the older version and don't show the new return spring. You found out the same thing I did about the stopping power or lack of it.

Chupaca
12-16-2013, 02:35 PM
it's not you. Have heard many mention that it only works as a slow down brake. If you really want to stop you still need your foot. Think how hard it would be to stop your car with a manual hand brake. Similar but will work for you if using floorboard where foot movement is longer than pegs. Congrats on the install let us know in time...!! :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
i do agree it does install pretty easy but the hand brake does not really stop the bike very well. the last time i spoke to them they told me the brake is notorious for holding air in the system, they told me to let the bottom slave cylinder hang vertical and bleed the system like that. they said at least 2 master cylinders of fluid should be done to bleed the system well and at that point it should be equal to the foot brake in stopping power. where did you hook up the temp gauge to on the bike.

bluestratos
12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
I ran about 4 reservoirs of fluid until no more bubbles, not even small ones. I will do this again just to be sure.

I installed the temp gauge in the right hand 2" gauge hole, I have the A/F ratio gauge in the left hand side. I still have the temp and the fuel gauge bar graph on the dash. The temp gauge also has a built in voltage indicator but you have to learn to read it as it is not marked, just colors around the perimeter: green, yellow and red.