PDA

View Full Version : Retirement (any suggestions)

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 09:47 AM
I will be 65 in February and i will retire at the end of March of 2014. I am going to do a lot with my Spyder such as traveling on long (Little Rock, AR to Brooklyn, NY) and short (Little Rock, AR to Branson, MO) trips, i have (willhave) a 2014 RT-S and a trailer. I am looking for some suggestions fromsome folks that have allready retired as to things to be aware of or any other suggestions. I plan to make Spyderfest and other events. Any thing i NEED to know?

Cruzr Joe

Xcarman
12-11-2013, 09:59 AM
I've been retired for 2 years. Just enjoy the time with your wife and spyder. Wife loves to ride and it has brought us closer together. As I said just enjoy life.

bruiser
12-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I retired last December. Can't believe it's been a year already. I've been busy with lots of "stuff". But we take the time to do things we want to do. We take day trips as often as we can. We sleep in. For years I was up at 0 dark thirty for work and in bed early. Now it's to bed late and up, oh say, 8:30 sometimes 9:00. Do what you want, when you want and enjoy.

Jeriatric
12-11-2013, 10:15 AM
You made it! Well, almost. ENJOY!!

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I've been retired for 2 years. Just enjoy the time with your wife and spyder. Wife loves to ride and it has brought us closer together. As I said just enjoy life.

I have been married for about 46 years and i agree the spyder has brought us closer together.

SpyRyd
12-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Once the decision to retire is made, don't look back. Just enjoy each day doing what you want to do. Sounds like you have a good plan that includes lots of miles and smiles on the awesome 2014 model Spyder. Hope our paths cross again soon.

bruiser
12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
I agree. The Spyders did bring us closer. But we also learned that we don't need to be side by side 24/7.

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I have made many new friends in the last year and a half since i bought my first Spyder, now look out because i might come to visit each one of you on a long journey. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

bullant12
12-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Now you will have more time to visit them!:thumbup:

Two words... (which is on my bucket list and may do at retirement in 14 more years) Florida Keys!:clap:

unclegeezer
12-11-2013, 10:37 AM
First thing do is to lose the watch. Do everything that you always wanted to.:yes:

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Once the decision to retire is made, don't look back. Just enjoy each day doing what you want to do. Sounds like you have a good plan that includes lots of miles and smiles on the awesome 2014 model Spyder. Hope our paths cross again soon.

Hopefully we will again cross paths at Spyderfest if not before. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Now you will have more time to visit them!:thumbup:

Two words... (which is on my bucket list and may do at retirement in 14 more years) Florida Keys!:clap:

I intend to go to Flarda and annoy Mouthpiece and Ivor at least one weekend

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:41 AM
First thing do is to lose the watch. Do everything that you always wanted to.:yes:

Throw the watch away and put the cell phone in the Frunk. Yeah.

Cruzr Joe

Pirate looks at --
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
August 4th through the 7th. You can ryde your Spyder through incredible Forrest's of the Largest living organisms on this planet. IF you have not Seen the Coastal Redwoods, you have to put this on your calendar to be In Northern California the first week in August. Whatever you do, stay very active and find something you are passionate about. Statistics have shown for years that the a average life expectancy for some one who retires to nothing, is 5 years. My father who retired from banking at age 63 went on to sell real estate and continued to "work" for twenty more years and made more money than he had ever made in banking, and worked less than half as much. He passed a month ago, and had a life that anyone would envy. Stay engaged.

SpyderAnn01
12-11-2013, 10:46 AM
You will wonder how you ever found the time to work!

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
August 4th through the 7th. You can ryde your Spyder through incredible Forrest's of the Largest living organisms on this planet. IF you have not Seen the Coastal Redwoods, you have to put this on your calendar to be In Northern California the first week in August. Whatever you do, stay very active and find something you are passionate about. Statistics have shown for years that the a average life expectancy for some one who retires to nothing, is 5 years. My father who retired from banking at age 63 went on to sell real estate and continued to "work" for twenty more years and made more money than he had ever made in banking, and worked less than half as much. He passed a month ago, and had a life that anyone would envy. Stay engaged.

Sorry for the loss of your Dad, glad he enjoyed a full life, I intend to stay active and when it is my time to go, i will go kickin and fightin.

Thanks for the info re the Coastal redwoods.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:50 AM

That's funny, my boss asked what i was gonna retire from, he said that he couldn't remember me ever doing any work. :roflblack::roflblack:

He has a short memory, or maybe a good vision not sure which. :roflblack::roflblack:

I might come to Vegas and annoy you and your hubby, i like Vegas. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

GloryRyders
12-11-2013, 10:50 AM
First suggestion is DO IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!:yes: As of December 31 it will have been 4 years for us that I have retired. You will find that you have twice the time but only half of the money:gaah: but it is worth the change in lifestyle that you might have to make.

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!!!:2thumbs:

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:54 AM
First suggestion is DO IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!:yes: As of December 31 it will have been 4 years for us that I have retired. You will find that you have twice the time but only half of the money:gaah: but it is worth the change in lifestyle that you might have to make.

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!!!:2thumbs:

When planning this i took the money into consideration and although i will have less ........... I will enjoy it more, thanks for the good advice.

Cruzr joe

Oldmanzues
12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Join something like AAA for the guide books. Most of the time, 100 miles on a back road is more fun then 300 on the super slab.Loose time schedule, when you see something interesting, Stop and look. Tried to write with a quill pen in IL, indoor waterwheel/grist mill in WV ( I think)
Most of all, have fun

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Join something like AAA for the guide books. Most of the time, 100 miles on a back road is more fun then 300 on the super slab.Loose time schedule, when you see something interesting, Stop and look. Tried to write with a quill pen in IL, indoor waterwheel/grist mill in WV ( I think)
Most of all, have fun

I tried to join AA but found out it was for quitters, there are a lot of things i am going to try to do and see.

Cruzr joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-11-2013, 11:14 AM
You don't hit anything ...................other than that have lots of FUN........Mike :thumbup:

grumpybob
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Here are the rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5FXbROLcE

dadof4
12-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Many people spend their entire life looking for what they are good at doing and what they really enjoy. Sadly some never find it. I retired over 11 years ago and quickly discovered I excell at doing nothing. If you are interested in doing nothing I am the man to see. I was thinking of writting a book on the art of doing nothing but on second thought that would be doing something!

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Many people spend their entire life looking for what they are good at doing and what they really enjoy. Sadly some never find it. I retired over 11 years ago and quickly discovered I excell at doing nothing. If you are interested in doing nothing I am the man to see. I was thinking of writting a book on the art of doing nothing but on second thought that would be doing something!

I just might try that (for a day or two)

cruzr joe

jerpinoy
12-11-2013, 12:04 PM
:agree: enjoy the fruits of your labor, we all deserve to have fun.:yes::yes::yes:

2 Stricklands
12-11-2013, 12:11 PM
I have made many new friends in the last year and a half since i bought my first Spyder, now look out because i might come to visit each one of you on a long journey. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Come to Virginia and visit all of us. Some of us are also on Spyders to the Rescue. We met more than once, but I remember you in the hotel after Lamonts BBQ last year

Steve & Barb

Pirate looks at --
12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry for the loss of your Dad, glad he enjoyed a full life, I intend to stay active and when it is my time to go, i will go kickin and fightin.

Thanks for the info re the Coastal redwoods.

Cruzr Joe

Thanks Joe, he was a great man, I got to give him a ryde on the Spyder over Labor Day weekend he had a blast. I remember that when we were at a stop light, he leaned forward and asked me if there was a seatbelt on this thing. I just told him to hold on.

You our will see information posted on here about Spyders in the Redwoods, come on out it would be great to meet you. :yes:

Bob Denman
12-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Joe,
You lucky sonuvagun!! :clap: :2thumbs:
I'm still chained to the desk... :gaah:

Chupaca
12-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Suggestion..don't sit...congrats on getting to this point but don't slow down just change direction. I retired and my wife bought a house which I have been working on for two years. At one point I did this kind of work for others now I can do it for us my way....you have good plabs keep them in view at all times...:thumbup:

2ndChildhood
12-11-2013, 12:47 PM
How about SpyderQuest, New York in September? You two needs to visit Michigan, you know that you have a place to stay.

Be Safe
ToM & JeN

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cuznjohn
12-11-2013, 01:03 PM
i retired 10 years ago and have been to one doctor after another ever since so all i can say is keep healthy and enjoy

Motorcycledave
12-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi Dave here.... Well all I can tell you is what I did, I retired the first time when
I was 40, I sold my business and thought I would live the good life.
I had been divorced for 5 years but had custody of my son who was at that
time 13. I did the coast to coast rides 3 times twice with him with me and the other
when he went to visit his mom in a different state for the summer. That lasted 3 years
then I was so bourd I had to find something to do so I went back into business as
before in auto repair and upholstery, all went fine boy got raised, I worked until 62 and
back to coast to coast and more riding that lasted 2 years bourd again, I decided to NOT
retire and to continue doing what I like, RIDING, Custom Upholstery, and Motorcycle Accssories,
I am blessed that I don't need the money but I do need something to do I am 72.
So as you can see, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence you must keep busy...
and just riding will not do it so do volunteer work or something to give you plenty to do and keep
your mind fresh.. DO NOT SIT ON YOUR COUCH WATCHING TV 24/7 OR YOU WILL DIE
STAY ACTIVE...
Ride safe
Dave

Vidman
12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I've been retired for 10 yrs. Lots of advice given to me. None was any good. You will find your own way.

I will admit to one thing. I have no extra time and wonder where I ever found time to go to work.

Enjoy. Live for the day. Don't look back. (Guess that was useless advice.)

Frank G
12-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Retired 2 years ago, worked every day since. :yikes: chained to the desk and can't find the key. Wife told me the other day to find the large bolt cutters. We have already planed about 6 weeks vacation in 2014 including Spyderfest.:ohyea:

Dan_Ashley
12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I retired nine years ago, and so I have some sage wisdom. Here are four rules that I live by:
1. Don't put off until tomorrow anything you can put off until the day after tomorrow.
2. Pay off all the credit cards every single month. If you can't do this, then you will be trapped into poverty.
3. Take the wife out on a date once every week. Not just an run to get burgers, but a date...even if the date is getting burgers!
4. Watch your weight. You will now be a lot closer to the fridge, so it takes discipline.
5. Walk a couple of miles every day. It keeps things down that you don't want up: weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, tendencies to develop dementia, frustrations. EVERY DAY.
6. Ryde whenever things that you put off don't pile up too much. This allows you to clear your head. After a lifetime of work, nine years later, I'm still working on head clearing!
7. Get a Medicare Advantage plan. The peace of mind is worth it!
8. Remember: there are phases to retirement...kinda like the phases of grief--but on a positive note. Allow yourself the freedom to continue growing as a person.
9. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: IGNORE EVERYONE WHO SAYS YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO COUNT TO FOUR!

Explorer
12-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Dan just gave some very good advice. I would only add: Take your longest most difficult trips first, while you are most able to climb mtns., and stairs. See a new place or learn a new thing every day. Above all take time to smell the roses.
Enjoy,
Roger

ARtraveler
12-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I have been retired from my two finance director jobs for a little over a year now. I am still teaching at the university (two classes per semester) but that is more fun than work for me.

Enjoy your newly found free time and use it to enjoy some of the things you could not when you were working full time. I do not miss working full time in the least. No looking back or regrets here.

Ideas:

I can ryde my :spyder2: every day (in season), am back to practicing my music (bluegrass guitar) on a daily basis, and may even paint a few more pictures this summer. I have had my summer teaching schedule adjusted so that I can ride with a motorcycle club once a week--as I did in previous years. Even doing a little more travel than the past three years. Planning on a Black Hills trip and renting :ani29:'s while I am there this upcoming season. If I were not so far from the lower 48, I would be showing up at some :spyder2: gatherings.

The nice thing about retirement, if you want to do something--you pretty much can.

Enjoy yours Joe. :thumbup::yes:

Flamewinger
12-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Retirement: you wake up in the morning with nothing to do and you go to bed at night with half of it done. Keep busy and Enjoy!

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) - now Free

frenchek
12-11-2013, 03:10 PM
best job you will ever have--work hard at it and enjoy.

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I am soooooooo looking forward to this retirement, i have worked all my life starting as a delivery boy part time at age 11, for the last 35 years my responsibilities required being on duty or on call 24/7 with very little free time. I am now ready for my free time, thanks for all the suggestions and i hope to see all my friends, old ones and new ones that i have not met yet very soon.

Cruzr Joe

optimus prime
12-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Been retired for 2 1/2 years and loving it. Someone asked me what it was like to be retired and I said it was like getting out of high school on summer vacation that was never going to end. Enjoy the times ahead and ryde safe.

Captain Fin
12-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi Y'all
I would like to say hello and I know I have been absent for a few weeks. I left Key Largo on my sailboat with the Spyder on deck and visited Cuba ( Don't tell the Fed's ) and then Cancun, Belize and now Guatemala on the Rio Dulce River. Now this is retirement. Having a great time and loving every day with my beautiful Colombian wife. So I hope you see just what retirement can offer. Just don't pick up any bad habits like drinking too much, eating too much or taking too many naps. Be active and love every minute that life provides you. I walk at least 3 miles each day and do a lot of swimming, fishing and what I call hunting and gathering for lobster, conch and through the rain forest looking for fruit. Life is good.

Vidman
12-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Retirement: you wake up in the morning with nothing to do and you go to bed at night with half of it done. Keep busy and Enjoy!

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) - now Free

I just HAVE to comment here........Well Said!!!!!!

Rando
12-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Not to hijack your thread but what is the right age to retire? I'm eligible, thru my company plan, but I feel I am too young. (50 something)

Dan_Ashley
12-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Not to hijack your thread but what is the right age to retire? I'm eligible, thru my company plan, but I feel I am too young. (50 something)
18. Sooner if you can afford it.

Knarfoh
12-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I will be 65 in February and i will retire at the end of March of 2014.
Awesome ! For successful retirement - keep busy. Riding your Spyder is a good start ! I also do volunteer work, but nothing that I have to commit to - to the point it interferes with last minute decisions to go off and do something else. Keep mind active !

Bob Denman
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
18. Sooner if you can afford it.

:shocked: If only... :D :thumbup:

Dan_Ashley
12-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Working people sometimes ask me what I do to pass the time since I retired. I normally just tell them about something that I did recently. For example, I went to the store the other day. I was in there for only about five minutes. When I came out there was a city cop writing out a parking ticket.

I went up to him and said, “Come on, buddy, how about giving a senior a break?”
He ignored me and continued writing the ticket.

I called him a name. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tires.
So I called him a worse name. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket.

This went on for a few minutes. The more I abused him the more tickets he wrote.
I finally said, "What the h.... Writing a half dozen tickets to an old guy!!" Parking, bald tires, license plate cover, worn wiper blades...you get the picture.

I started to to walk away and the officer shouted "Hey! Where ya goin'?" I retorted, "I'm goin' home. My wife just showed up to give me a ride." I got in her car and we drove away.

I think it's important at my age to have a little fun each day.

Knarfoh
12-11-2013, 06:46 PM
I retired at age 55. It is hard to explain to some people that EVERYONE was going to be retiring by age 55 when I was growing up and first starting to work. Not only are people not retiring at 55, they aren't retiring at 65. But we were taught to save for our own retirement; hopefully have a job where a retirement plan existed; and use social security benefits as SUPPLEMENTAL income - not your primary retirement income. I did all the things they told me to do - started saving at an early age; have retirement money deducted up front so I never saw it (so I was never tempted to spend it on something else); when I changed jobs I always took any retirement money and reinvested it in a retirement program; didn't use retirement money for other things (kid's college; dream vacation; car; home; etc.); and had all my major bills behinds me (house and car, for example) by the time I retired.

Now I am in my early 60's. I shake my head every day as I see more and more people who are retirement poor. They can pay the electric and put food on the table but have no money for FUN things!

Enjoy your retirement! And guess what? If you don't feel like retiring, DON'T! Some people waste away in retirement - no friends, no hobbies, no families, etc. It was their job that gave them purpose and they left it!

Lastly, don't make any major life decisions for the first months of your retirement. I have seen people move to the sunbelt only to realize they miss their friends, family, grand kids, etc. Take a while to make those critical decisions.

Bob Denman
12-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Working people sometimes ask me what I do to pass the time since I retired. I normally just tell them about something that I did recently. For example, I went to the store the other day. I was in there for only about five minutes. When I came out there was a city cop writing out a parking ticket.

I went up to him and said, “Come on, buddy, how about giving a senior a break?”
He ignored me and continued writing the ticket.

I called him a name. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tires.
So I called him a worse name. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket.

This went on for a few minutes. The more I abused him the more tickets he wrote.
I finally said, "What the h.... Writing a half dozen tickets to an old guy!!" Parking, bald tires, license plate cover, worn wiper blades...you get the picture.

I started to to walk away and the officer shouted "Hey! Where ya goin'?" I retorted, "I'm goin' home. My wife just showed up to give me a ride." I got in her car and we drove away.

I think it's important at my age to have a little fun each day.
You and my buddy must have gone to different High Schools together; here's how he spends his days...

After I retired, my wife insisted that I accompany her on her trips to Target.
Unfortunately, like most men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally unfortunate, my wife is like most women -
she loves to browse.
Yesterday my dear wife received the following letter from the local Target:
Dear Mrs. XXXXXX,
Over the past six months, your husband has caused quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced
to ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against your husband, Mr. XXXXX, are listed below and are documented by our video
surveillance cameras:
1. June 15: He took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in other people's carts when they weren't looking.
2. July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.
3. July 7: He made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.
4. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, 'Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away'. This caused the employee
to leave her assigned station and receive a reprimand from her Supervisor that in turn resulted with a union grievance, causing management
to lose time and costing the company money.
5. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&Ms on layaway.
6. August 14: Moved a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.
7. August 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told the children shoppers he'd invite them in if they would bring pillows and
blankets from the bedding department to which twenty children obliged.
8. August 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him he began crying and screamed, 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?'
EMTs were called.
9. September 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.
10. September 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.
11. October 3: Darted around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the 'Mission Impossible' theme.
12. October 6: In the auto department, he practiced his 'Madonna look' by using different sizes of funnels.
13. October 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled 'PICK ME! PICK ME!'
14. October 21: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed a fetal position and screamed 'OH NO! IT'S THOSE
VOICES AGAIN!'
And last, but not least:
15. October 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, 'Hey! There's no toilet paper in here.' One of
the clerks passed out.

Dan_Ashley
12-11-2013, 06:55 PM
I retired at age 55...
Me too, but I missed my "planned" retirement age by ten years. But I don't think working those ten extra years did me any permanent harm....well, I hope not anyway. :pray::pray:

Knarfoh
12-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Been retired for 2 1/2 years and loving it. Someone asked me what it was like to be retired and I said it was like getting out of high school on summer vacation that was never going to end. Enjoy the times ahead and ryde safe.Damn.. you are exactly right! Couldn't describe it better!

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
You and my buddy must have gone to different High Schools together; here's how he spends his days...

Unfortunately, like most men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally unfortunate, my wife is like most women -
she loves to browse.
Dear Mrs. XXXXXX,
Over the past six months, your husband has caused quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced
to ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against your husband, Mr. XXXXX, are listed below and are documented by our video
surveillance cameras:
1. June 15: He took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in other people's carts when they weren't looking.
2. July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.
3. July 7: He made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.
4. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, 'Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away'. This caused the employee
to leave her assigned station and receive a reprimand from her Supervisor that in turn resulted with a union grievance, causing management
5. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&Ms on layaway.
7. August 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told the children shoppers he'd invite them in if they would bring pillows and
8. August 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him he began crying and screamed, 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?'
EMTs were called.
9. September 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.
10. September 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.
11. October 3: Darted around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the 'Mission Impossible' theme.
12. October 6: In the auto department, he practiced his 'Madonna look' by using different sizes of funnels.
13. October 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled 'PICK ME! PICK ME!'
14. October 21: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed a fetal position and screamed 'OH NO! IT'S THOSE
VOICES AGAIN!'
And last, but not least:
15. October 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, 'Hey! There's no toilet paper in here.' One of
the clerks passed out.

OK Bob, this sounds pretty routine to me...........now if you really want get HAIRY.....Oh wait this is a Family oriented site :yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack: Mike.....:thumbup: :2excited:

Dan_Ashley
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Damn.. you are exactly right! Couldn't describe it better!
Yeah, but now I have wheels!

ARtraveler
12-11-2013, 07:17 PM

she loves to browse.
Dear Mrs. XXXXXX,
surveillance cameras:
EMTs were called.
VOICES AGAIN!'
And last, but not least:
the clerks passed out.

Wow! I have to say it again. I have to say it again. This place is just so full of great ideas. I think I am off to take a trip to Wal Mart for some fun. :yes::yes::yes:

Flash Gordon
12-11-2013, 07:44 PM
I have been retired for 8 1/2 years. It is the best career of my life. I first bought a new motorcycle, and joined my friends for the 25,000 miles I put on it, then traded for another new bike and put 9,000 miles on it, then last Feb. I traded my Harley for a 2013 Spyder RT-Limited. It is the best one yet. My wife is again riding with me, and we are enjoying life more than ever. I have fun every day, and as someone has already stated, I don't know how I ever had time to work. When I decided to retire, I decided to stop "working for a living" and start "working at living". You have been given a lot of good advice concerning retirement, and I have found that it is not all about money. Most people don't need anymore money than they have been used too. Your lifestyle will not change a lot. Of course you will spend your time differently, but it doesn't have to cost any more than you were spending while you were working. A good friend of mine, about the same age as me, did not retire when I did. He has been working, and plans to retire next June. He will have missed out on 9 years of retirement that he cannot get back. I would not take anything for the last 8 1/2 years of my retirement. It has been priceless. I hope you find the same in your adventure that you are about to begin. Good luck, and safe ridding. If you get down here in Central Fl. let me know and we will go on a great ride together.

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I retired at age 55. It is hard to explain to some people that EVERYONE was going to be retiring by age 55 when I was growing up and first starting to work. Not only are people not retiring at 55, they aren't retiring at 65. But we were taught to save for our own retirement; hopefully have a job where a retirement plan existed; and use social security benefits as SUPPLEMENTAL income - not your primary retirement income. I did all the things they told me to do - started saving at an early age; have retirement money deducted up front so I never saw it (so I was never tempted to spend it on something else); when I changed jobs I always took any retirement money and reinvested it in a retirement program; didn't use retirement money for other things (kid's college; dream vacation; car; home; etc.); and had all my major bills behinds me (house and car, for example) by the time I retired.

Now I am in my early 60's. I shake my head every day as I see more and more people who are retirement poor. They can pay the electric and put food on the table but have no money for FUN things!

Enjoy your retirement! And guess what? If you don't feel like retiring, DON'T! Some people waste away in retirement - no friends, no hobbies, no families, etc. It was their job that gave them purpose and they left it!

Lastly, don't make any major life decisions for the first months of your retirement. I have seen people move to the sunbelt only to realize they miss their friends, family, grand kids, etc. Take a while to make those critical decisions.

Good advice, thanks

Cruzr joe

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I have been retired for 8 1/2 years. It is the best career of my life. I first bought a new motorcycle, and joined my friends for the 25,000 miles I put on it, then traded for another new bike and put 9,000 miles on it, then last Feb. I traded my Harley for a 2013 Spyder RT-Limited. It is the best one yet. My wife is again riding with me, and we are enjoying life more than ever. I have fun every day, and as someone has already stated, I don't know how I ever had time to work. When I decided to retire, I decided to stop "working for a living" and start "working at living". You have been given a lot of good advice concerning retirement, and I have found that it is not all about money. Most people don't need anymore money than they have been used too. Your lifestyle will not change a lot. Of course you will spend your time differently, but it doesn't have to cost any more than you were spending while you were working. A good friend of mine, about the same age as me, did not retire when I did. He has been working, and plans to retire next June. He will have missed out on 9 years of retirement that he cannot get back. I would not take anything for the last 8 1/2 years of my retirement. It has been priceless. I hope you find the same in your adventure that you are about to begin. Good luck, and safe ridding. If you get down here in Central Fl. let me know and we will go on a great ride together.

Thank you, i intend to come to florida next year so maybe we can hook up and have lunch.

I also had a friend that just could not get ready for retirement, until one day while working at the age of 71 she went to the Doctor because she did not feel well, long story short, she died before she left his office. Great loss but a good example for me to enjoy my life while i can.

Cruzr Joe

Dan_Ashley
12-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Thank you, i intend to come to florida next year so maybe we can hook up and have lunch.

I also had a friend that just could not get ready for retirement, until one day while working at the age of 71 she went to the Doctor because she did not feel well, long story short, she died before she left his office. Great loss but a good example for me to enjoy my life while i can.

Cruzr Joe
Believe this: We have an infinite number of sun rises ahead. That is a very large number, indeed.

cuznjohn
12-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Cruzr Joe

my father was a electrician in the same union i was in, during hard work times with unemployment he had a few big shots at the union that he knew and they asked him that after 30 years if they could get him a retirement would he go and make a spot for the younger crews that were coming up in the business, he said sure. but i think the sudden stop of work did him in and he died at 55, 6 months after he retired. that was 1976 so if i would take some time off or my boss would ask why a job was taking so long i would tell him i was learning to retire. so enjoy every day, sometimes it's boring especially in winter but you have a beautiful wife and the two of you should enjoy every min. together. best of luck

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 08:12 PM
my father was a electrician in the same union i was in, during hard work times with unemployment he had a few big shots at the union that he knew and they asked him that after 30 years if they could get him a retirement would he go and make a spot for the younger crews that were coming up in the business, he said sure. but i think the sudden stop of work did him in and he died at 55, 6 months after he retired. that was 1976 so if i would take some time off or my boss would ask why a job was taking so long i would tell him i was learning to retire. so enjoy every day, sometimes it's boring especially in winter but you have a beautiful wife and the two of you should enjoy every min. together. best of luck

Thank you, sir

Cruzr Joe

mrfats
12-11-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm not there yet but from what I understand you wake up and everyday's a Saturday!!

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm not there yet but from what I understand you wake up and everyday's a Saturday!!

Now that sounds cool

Cruzr Joe

lwrydr
12-11-2013, 10:39 PM
I retired in 2005...and have never looked back...wife has 25 months to go before she retires...She is not a rider very often so I ride all over in the summer and the wife and I go some place warm for a winter vacation...I probably have over 1/4 million miles on my butt (most of those on a Harley) but now that I own a :spyder2: I will be getting some miles on it....find things that are fun and just do them...if you ever get to Wa (the state) maybe we can meet...

Dan McNally
12-11-2013, 10:49 PM

:agree: I started working full time while in high school, did a career in the military, and another career in government civil service with a three day weekend separating the two. I worked until Jan 31 of this year, when I was 64 1/2 . . . My job was incredibly stressful and my wife insisted I retire. I knew when I married her that she was smarter than I was! I miss the people, but not the stress, and, as Ann says, I wonder how I found time to work! Congratulations to you . . . you are going to love retirement! If I'd know how great it was, I'd have done it 47 years ago!

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 11:00 PM
I retired in 2005...and have never looked back...wife has 25 months to go before she retires...She is not a rider very often so I ride all over in the summer and the wife and I go some place warm for a winter vacation...I probably have over 1/4 million miles on my butt (most of those on a Harley) but now that I own a :spyder2: I will be getting some miles on it....find things that are fun and just do them...if you ever get to Wa (the state) maybe we can meet...

I would love to get up to WA, if i do i will be looking for you

Thanks

Cruzr joe

Cruzr Joe
12-11-2013, 11:01 PM
:agree: I started working full time while in high school, did a career in the military, and another career in government civil service with a three day weekend separating the two. I worked until Jan 31 of this year, when I was 64 1/2 . . . My job was incredibly stressful and my wife insisted I retire. I knew when I married her that she was smarter than I was! I miss the people, but not the stress, and, as Ann says, I wonder how I found time to work! Congratulations to you . . . you are going to love retirement! If I'd know how great it was, I'd have done it 47 years ago!

Yes, the stress will surely do you in.

Joe

2ndChildhood
12-12-2013, 04:26 AM

Everyday is Saturday, unless there is no mail then its Sunday.

Be Safe
ToM

ijon1
12-12-2013, 06:42 AM
I retired from GM in 2000. Two weeks after I retired went to work for my neighbor's framing company. Worked there three years. After that I followed a hobby and trained two year old Tennessee Walkers for a lady. This went on for three years. Since then my wife and I have been baby sitting our kids baby sitters grand kids. When you retire it opens up things to explore. Things that while working you would never had time to think about.

Bob Denman
12-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Wow! I have to say it again. I have to say it again. This place is just so full of great ideas. I think I am off to take a trip to Wal Mart for some fun. :yes::yes::yes:
Tell Linda to put up some flares if Bail Money is required... :D

Dan McNally
12-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Tell Linda to put up some flares if Bail Money is required... :D

. . . or we can break you out! Can you see the terror in the eyes of the cops at the hoosegow :yikes: when we "Older than Hell Angels" roll into town :trike: to rescue you! :roflblack:

Cruzr Joe
12-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Everyday is Saturday, unless there is no mail then its Sunday.

Be Safe
ToM

If the Gov has its way ........................... saturday will be a no mail day.

Cruzr Joe

2ndChildhood
12-12-2013, 09:58 AM
If the Gov has its way ........................... saturday will be a no mail day.

Cruzr Joe

Great, then every day will be Sunday?

Be Safe
ToM

Cruzr Joe
12-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Great, then every day will be Sunday?

Be Safe
ToM

I like your thinking, Hope you and Jennifer are getting ready for Spyderfest.

Cruzr Joe

2ndChildhood
12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I like your thinking, Hope you and Jennifer are getting ready for Spyderfest.

Cruzr Joe

Yes we are. I will be bring Michigan Spyder Cider to Spyderfest.

Be Safe
ToM

Cruzr Joe
12-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes we are. I will be bring Michigan Spyder Cider to Spyderfest.

Be Safe
ToM

There goes the neighborhood.

Cruzr Joe

ARtraveler
12-12-2013, 02:52 PM
. . . or we can break you out! Can you see the terror in the eyes of the cops at the hoosegow :yikes: when we "Older than Hell Angels" roll into town :trike: to rescue you! :roflblack:

Yes, that would be a site to behold. We might even make the national news. :roflblack::roflblack:

Woody
12-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Great thread, Joe. I am retriring in 3 mos, so I learned a lot. The "experts" I have read say to
1. make sure you have a purpose (not just all hobbies)
2. exercise
3. give back by volunteering
4. engage in life long learning
5. don't rush into moving if you are close to friends and family

SPYD3R
12-12-2013, 08:55 PM
i also am retired (4 decades GE)
this past May a friend n i rode out from my home in Easley, SC to UTAH to ride AMERICA'S MOST SCENIC HIGHWAY, aka: Rt.12...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-q9fe9SG_Y
most AWESOME ride ever.... 124 miles of incredible scenery.... :thumbup:
we stayed the night in Torrey, UT and rode the entire length, both ways the next day....
next day we left to ride down to 4 CORNERS... a MUST see...
rule 1: in western TX, NM & UT, start looking for gas when you are at HALF TANK, do not ignore this advise... otherwise, you may be walking (no cell phone service in some places)...

PM me if you decide to go that way... i may be doing a ride to Needles, CA to visit BIG BIRD next May or June.....

enjoy you retirement, and ride safely....

i'm adding this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJl96LZ-CWI AWESOME....

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8h_n0ZvjUw

Dan_Ashley
12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Great thread, Joe. I am retriring in 3 mos, so I learned a lot. The "experts" I have read say to
2. exercise
And pay off the charge cards every month--this is important.

SNOOPY
12-12-2013, 09:05 PM
I will be 65 in February and i will retire at the end of March of 2014. I am going to do a lot with my Spyder such as traveling on long (Little Rock, AR to Brooklyn, NY) and short (Little Rock, AR to Branson, MO) trips, i have (willhave) a 2014 RT-S and a trailer. I am looking for some suggestions fromsome folks that have allready retired as to things to be aware of or any other suggestions. I plan to make Spyderfest and other events. Any thing i NEED to know?

Cruzr Joe

That is great that you are retiring. :thumbup:

I can't imagine ever retiring myself.

Cruzr Joe
12-12-2013, 09:13 PM
2. exercise

Yeah, this has been a cool thread with lots of good advice. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
i also am retired (4 decades GE)
this past May a friend n i rode out from my home in Easley, SC to UTAH to ride AMERICA'S MOST SCENIC HIGHWAY, aka: Rt.12...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-q9fe9SG_Y
most AWESOME ride ever.... 124 miles of incredible scenery.... :thumbup:
we stayed the night in Torrey, UT and rode the entire length, both ways the next day....
next day we left to ride down to 4 CORNERS... a MUST see...
rule 1: in western TX, NM & UT, start looking for gas when you are at HALF TANK, do not ignore this advise... otherwise, you may be walking (no cell phone service in some places)...

PM me if you decide to go that way... i may be doing a ride to Needles, CA to visit BIG BIRD next May or June.....

enjoy you retirement, and ride safely....

i'm adding this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJl96LZ-CWI AWESOME....

Now that looks like a cool Trip

Cruzr Joe

Dan_Ashley
12-12-2013, 10:07 PM
That is great that you are retiring. :thumbup:

I can't imagine ever retiring myself.
i started saving and planning for retirement when I was 20 years old.

But most of the plans resulted in a big zero until I was 40. Then they all came together and I retired at 55. So, do not give up. If I could do it, so can you.

SNOOPY
12-12-2013, 10:14 PM
i started saving and planning for retirement when I was 20 years old.

But most of the plans resulted in a big zero until I was 40. Then they all came together and I retired at 55. So, do not give up. If I could do it, so can you.

Unfortunately I started my retirement saving when I was 50, really never thought I'd live to see 50. :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
12-12-2013, 11:21 PM
What a great group of people on here, hope to get a chance to visit with all of you at Spyderfest

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
12-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Joe,
Don't forget to dance with your pants off... :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcjlYyAPw88

Cruzr Joe
12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Joe,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcjlYyAPw88

Not a pretty sight

Cruzr Joe

Dan_Ashley
12-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Joe,

If I dance with my pants off even vampires will expire.

Bob Denman
12-13-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure if I should ask this... :opps:
Is it because of the garlic?? :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_220.gif

Dan_Ashley
12-13-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure if I should ask this... :opps:
Is it because of the garlic?? :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_220.gif
LOL!!!
no. It is due to my "buff" body!

Bob Denman
12-13-2013, 01:24 PM
:agree: I'm pretty "buff" too... ;)
But in my case; it's Water-BUFFalo! :roflblack:

Cruzr Joe
12-13-2013, 02:39 PM

I resemble that remark

Cruzr Joe

Dan_Ashley
12-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Bob, you photo changed! You look so much...um..younger...yep! That's the ticket, "younger".

Bob Denman
12-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks!
I wanted to show off the work that my plastic surgeon did... :roflblack:

SNOOPY
12-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks!
I wanted to show off the work that my plastic surgeon did... :roflblack:

Um....you look.....um.....great.

Bob Denman
12-13-2013, 05:55 PM
That's good; I look better than I feel! :roflblack:

SNOOPY
12-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Wow, you must really feel like crap! Lol

Bob Denman
12-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Remember: Marty died at the tender age of 49... about like somebody that I knw in here! :D

jthornton
12-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately I like the work I do, so I plan on retiring the day after I quit breathing or when I can't find my way from the house to the shop and back. The second option will suck big time and there is a chance of that in my genes...

On another note thanks for the review Joe. Don't know when you posted it but I just noticed it today.

JT

Yazz
12-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Hope to get back on topic here.

Have been going to the same hairdresser for 25 years. He (not gay by any means) is now in his mid 80's. The best piece of advice he gave was "Do it while you can."

Me and Hubby's motto is "Ten more good years." Been doing that toast for over ten years and we reset those ten years every time we toast...

Rick11Flor
12-15-2013, 01:52 AM
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/33.cfm

we are avid rv'ers so i am practicing for retirement for the past 5 years and still working but in a tempo situation. every time we get laid-off we travel until they call us back ( i hope they don't but it never fails).

good luck
:chat:

Dan_Ashley
12-15-2013, 12:56 PM
"Work" is suchhhh a four letter word.

Silvervette05
12-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Cruzr Joe

I'm right behind you ,I'm 65 in May but I will go to about 2016. Good Luck

spydaman60
12-15-2013, 02:27 PM
cruzr, you and the misses are always welcome on the hill! the wife is" pulling the plug" at the end of this school year and I will in a year or two. also, we'd love to have you guys hit spyderquest 2014. and pm me if you get up Brooklyn way and we'll show you some of the jersey shore if you'd like!:thumbup:

oldguyinTX
04-01-2014, 07:30 AM

:agree::agree::ohyea::ohyea::yes::yes:

dadof4
04-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Going on 12 years retired here. To me the key to enjoying retirement is doing something every day. I joke about excelling at doing nothing, but in reality I can't sit still.

redflasher
04-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Retired from law enforcement at age 50. Been retired 20 years last November. Now 70 and wishing I could trim about 15 years off my age cuz I got so much stuff left to do.

Silvervette05
04-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Retired from law enforcement at age 50. Been retired 20 years last November. Now 70 and wishing I could trim about 15 years off my age cuz I got so much stuff left to do.

You can trim 15 yrs off your age, just keep thinking YOUNG. :D

dadof4
04-01-2014, 07:55 AM
You can trim 15 yrs off your age, just keep thinking YOUNG. :D

Agree!

Spacetrucker
04-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Well for me, when I retired , I lock up my doors alarms on, back the bike and trailer then hit the road and don't come back until the snow flys, all the roads are your to see. The best part no time limited where you go what you do. Just leave and have the best time you can. Come back before snow hits and foot all over againe. Ride hard and fun..."

Dan_Ashley
04-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Retired 9 years.

best thing I ever did--retire.

thing is, I don't know how I ever had enough time for a job...