PDA

View Full Version : Cough on start up!

IdleUp
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I just wanted to check with some other Spyder owners to see if you have the same problem; It does not matter if the engine is cold or hot - but seems right after starting the bike and trying to take off, if you let the clutch out to quickly or attempt to accelerate quickly the engine coughs and even quit on me a few times. I have two friends (one is a dealer) who have the problem as well. The dealer said he had others complain about it as well. Seems like after a minute or so everything is fine again.

spyder-dude
07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes I have had this happen a few times....yesterday was an embarassing moment when I was at a red light and had a sports car that wanted to race :) But I was able to start up and still pass him in a few seconds.

NancysToy
07-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I've noticed it only when cold. I try to warm up to at least one bar before leaving, but in cold weather even that can be too little. There seems to be no cold motor enrichment system on the Spyder.
-Scotty

IdleUp
07-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I might be way off in my thinking here - but it almost feels as if it's the rpm limiter circuit I think you guys call it a limp mode - I'll bet the engine has to run for a certain period of time (couple of minutes) before the ECU allows you load the motor be it a cold start or a hot one.

dltang
07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I might be way off in my thinking here - but it almost feels as if it's the rpm limiter circuit I think you guys call it a limp mode - I'll bet the engine has to run for a certain period of time (couple of minutes) before the ECU allows you load the motor be it a cold start or a hot one.

No, this problem is not Limp Mode. You will know Limp Mode because it will scroll across your screen and limit your speed.

bjt
07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
This has been discussed a bit a few months back. Here's the thread. (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5139) I only experience this when my Spyder is cold and the ambient temp is below 70'ish. I just know that the Spyder will behave that way and adjust my riding accordingly until it has a chance to warm up.

Zerocool
07-21-2008, 06:57 PM
This has been discussed a bit a few months back. Here's the thread. (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5139) I only experience this when my Spyder is cold and the ambient temp is below 70'ish. I just know that the Spyder will behave that way and adjust my riding accordingly until it has a chance to warm up.

:agree:

IdleUp
07-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Mine and others have the problem when you first start it up regardless if it's cold or hot! :mad:

speedster200
07-28-2008, 09:27 AM
It has been my experience that the units that couch when cold run better when they are up to temprature. The fuel mapping is set lean. B.R.P. knows about it. the dealers cannot change the fuel maping as of yet. B.R.P. sends out programing to the dealers to down load to your unit. If we recieve an update I will post it.

zzneonzz
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I just recieved my SE5 and also noticed this on a cold start but after letting it get 1-2 bars it worked just fine....