PDA

View Full Version : Saw a dude almost tip over on an MP3 Piaggio

Smylinacha
07-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Well was suppose to go to Lake George today - it was sweltering (I know you Southern people spare no pity on me ;) but I will not ride in 90% humidity and 97 degrees - I can't breath in it. Actually I'm gonna try a shorty helmet tomorrow w/ another pair of glasses - I can't do a big helmet in this weather. Hubby went and he gets to sleep in a tent in this cr@p!

Anyway, was in my nice cool air conditioned Hemmi Charger doing some errands......and I was at a light and saw this dude pull up on one of those MP3 Piaggios. That thing was quite big! Well he was stopping at the light and I have no idea what he was doing but he was losing it. Must have taken every ounce of strength (in that nasty heat) to get the thing back up before it hit the ground.

Well, I like my Spyder - it DOESN'T DO THAT. :2thumbs::doorag:

Trypod
07-19-2008, 06:21 PM
And for some, like me, not having the possibility of laying over at a stop is a sometimes difficult idea to grasp......today at a light, I forgot where I was and what I was riding and put my foot down :opps: ...so as quickly as I realized what I had done, I went ahead and put the other down, stood up and did a stretch.:D Maybe no one around me in traffic realized what I did. :dontknow:

TonyMac
07-19-2008, 06:23 PM
[quote=Smylinacha;42097]Well was suppose to go to Lake George today - it was sweltering (I know you Southern people spare no pity on me ;) but I will not ride in 90% humidity and 97 degrees - I can't breath in it.

Smylinacha.....If those of us in South Texas didn't ride in 97 degree 90% humidity we'd never ride ;) You get used to it.

I actually get a kick when someone says they need a heated seat or heated grips. If anything, I want a cooling suit inside my Joe Rocket jacket (if they made them) :pray:

Different parts of the country have different problems. Too bad we can't swap them from time to time

sleepman
07-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Not all Southerners will put up with the heat either, I've got a few friends who won't ride in the summer months because it's too hot. Me I'll ride year round but that's just my cup of tea.

I'll think about you Yankee's and the weather when I'm making my annual Key West run in January. :clap::yes:

NancysToy
07-19-2008, 06:45 PM
And for some, like me, not having the possibility of laying over at a stop is a sometimes difficult idea to grasp......today at a light, I forgot where I was and what I was riding and put my foot down :opps: ...so as quickly as I realized what I had done, I went ahead and put the other down, stood up and did a stretch.:D Maybe no one around me in traffic realized what I did. :dontknow:
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Not as embarrassing as the opposite, though, where you forget to put your foot down on a two-wheeler.
-Scotty

Bimjo
07-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Ah, well, the MP3 can lock the front end so it'll sit upright. But you have to remember to hit the button or it just kinda falls over like any other motorcycle when you don't get your feets down quick enough. :opps:

So, I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce myself. My name is Jim, and up until last Friday (7/11) I rode a 650 V Strom. Actually the second of two. I totaled the first on September 1st (and me along with it) and totaled this one Friday. The end result is in my avatar.

Since I apparently am no longer either: a) 10 feet tall, b) bulletproof ( or crashproof as it were), c) in full possession of good balance, d) am not independently wealthy, and e) not really liking that "Ewww' this is gonna hurt" rush anymore I've decided that since I can't seem to ride on two wheels without falling over I'd better get something that's a little harder to tip over/fall off of.

Hence my presence here. I'm looking at alternatives that will allow me to ride and not have to worry about that falling down thing. The Spyder seems to be the best solution, but I'm still researching. Lots of good info here, maybe I'll end up joining the ranks of Spyder riders.

8LEGS
07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Ah, well, the MP3 can lock the front end so it'll sit upright. But you have to remember to hit the button or it just kinda falls over like any other motorcycle when you don't get your feets down quick enough. :opps:

So, I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce myself. My name is Jim, and up until last Friday (7/11) I rode a 650 V Strom. Actually the second of two. I totaled the first on September 1st (and me along with it) and totaled this one Friday. The end result is in my avatar.

Since I apparently am no longer either: a) 10 feet tall, b) bulletproof ( or crashproof as it were), c) in full possession of good balance, d) am not independently wealthy, and e) not really liking that "Ewww' this is gonna hurt" rush anymore I've decided that since I can't seem to ride on two wheels without falling over I'd better get something that's a little harder to tip over/fall off of.

Hence my presence here. I'm looking at alternatives that will allow me to ride and not have to worry about that falling down thing. The Spyder seems to be the best solution, but I'm still researching. Lots of good info here, maybe I'll end up joining the ranks of Spyder riders.

Welcome to the board.!.!:2thumbs:

docdoru
07-19-2008, 07:47 PM
welcome :2thumbs:

bjt
07-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Welcome Bimjo. Sounds like you're ready to find the nearest couple of Spyder dealers and see which ones will let you take one out for a decent test ride (as long as your body is healed up enough). :)

Bimjo
07-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the welcome (and sorry for the thread jack Smylinacha, that's sorta rude for a new guy).

Got a dealer across the river. Went and talked a bit this morning. He has one on the floor, supposedly on hold for someone for the next 40 days, but has some due in soon. Said I could test one when they got here.

I could tell by sitting on it that bar risers will be required & probably a taller shield, but I like the concept. Not counter steering is gonna take some getting used to. ;)

I was a bit surprised at how much fore-aft room there was on the seat. That will work out well for my wife. She has a bad hip and has trouble moving her leg sideways, so the extra room will be nice. Just gotta get her on it for her to see for herself.

I need to deal with the Strom first though.

Smylinacha
07-19-2008, 08:55 PM

LOL! Good way to cover that up!

Smylinacha
07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
[quote=Smylinacha;42097]Well was suppose to go to Lake George today - it was sweltering (I know you Southern people spare no pity on me ;) but I will not ride in 90% humidity and 97 degrees - I can't breath in it.

Smylinacha.....If those of us in South Texas didn't ride in 97 degree 90% humidity we'd never ride ;) You get used to it.

I actually get a kick when someone says they need a heated seat or heated grips. If anything, I want a cooling suit inside my Joe Rocket jacket (if they made them) :pray:

Different parts of the country have different problems. Too bad we can't swap them from time to time

We have some hot parts of the summer but this has been ongoing - not normal for CT - I'm looking forward to Fall my favorite time of year. And yes, I use Gerbings when it gets too cold - like riding around in a clothes dryer!

Smylinacha
07-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Not all Southerners will put up with the heat either, I've got a few friends who won't ride in the summer months because it's too hot. Me I'll ride year round but that's just my cup of tea.

I'll think about you Yankee's and the weather when I'm making my annual Key West run in January. :clap::yes:

Nice! But if there's no snow - we normally ride - we just plug in:)
My husband will ride in anything but I can't stand it when it gets too hot.

Smylinacha
07-19-2008, 09:01 PM

well back and neck problems stopped me from being on two wheels but I'm loving the Spyder even more than I've loved my other bikes. You've come to the right place for info. Glad you are all in one piece after your ordeals!:thumbup:

AMTJIM
07-19-2008, 09:13 PM
A friend of mine had one of those original honda 3 wheelers with the big ballon tires...After riding so many dirt bikes, I had this habit of planting my foot in turns, which quickly results in running over your leg, yanking you off the machine, hitting your chin on either the tank or hand grip and pulling your leg out if it's socket...I don't miss that!

AMTJIM
07-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Actually I'm gonna try a shorty helmet tomorrow w/ another pair of glasses - I can't do a big helmet in this weather.:2thumbs::doorag:
I got a yellow one of these, not great above 50mph with a stock windscreen and NOT D.O.T. approved, but it's better than nothing for running around the neighborhood.(no helmet law here).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Apparel-Gear-Merchandise__Chinese-PLA-Air-Force-Jet-Pilot-Flight-Helmet-RARE-SZ-L_W0QQitemZ160261262529QQadnZApparelQ2cQ20GearQ20Q 26Q20MerchandiseQQadiZ7659QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 160261262529&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/1602612625296464_1.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Apparel-Gear-Merchandise__Chinese-PLA-Air-Force-Jet-Pilot-Flight-Helmet-RARE-SZ-L_W0QQitemZ160261262529QQadnZApparelQ2cQ20GearQ20Q 26Q20MerchandiseQQadiZ7659QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 160261262529)

pphantom538
07-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Lots of good info here, maybe I'll end up joining the ranks of Spyder riders.

Welcome aboard. This is a great forum and the :spyder:is a blast.

jeuchler
07-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Hey, trm and Smylinacha, I just saw the cool shirt (http://www.coolshirt.net/index.html) on Modern Marvels!

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_images/ecommerce/client_39/products/6033_hdr_2_l.jpg

SPYMAN
07-19-2008, 09:56 PM

Welcome to spyderlovers BIMJO, the v-strom 650 is one of only 2 street bikes I have rode, Until the :spyder: came & I must say I have never looked back.
The :spyder: has been the best & most care free ride I have ever experienced. I was just telling my buddy the other day that my :spyder: had a little bit of every thing in it. It is part roadster/wheeled,
Cruiser, Sport bike/crotch rocket, so no matter what kind of ride I am in the mood for :spyder: never lets me down!! I have had my "little yellow go getter" since April & now have 5100 miles on it.
My advise is jump in with both feet & enjoy.

I'm sure you have checked but the demo tour is getting around pretty quick so watch your area.

Again welcome & good luck with the :spyder: or what ever type transportation you decide.

:thumbup:SPYMAN:thumbup:

SPYMAN
07-19-2008, 10:02 PM
[quote=trm17118;42100]

Hey, trm and Smylinacha, I just saw the cool shirt (http://www.coolshirt.net/index.html) on Modern Marvels!

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_images/ecommerce/client_39/products/6033_hdr_2_l.jpg

I've been wearing one for the last month, I must say "The best $35.00 I have spent on riding gear to date". Here in Vegas it has been 107% 112%ETC the past several weeks. But with my cooling vest It has been good riding.

:2thumbs:SPYMAN:2thumbs:

P.S. I got mine at www.cyclegear.com (http://www.cyclegear.com)

Bimjo
07-20-2008, 12:05 AM
well back and neck problems stopped me from being on two wheels but I'm loving the Spyder even more than I've loved my other bikes. You've come to the right place for info. Glad you are all in one piece after your ordeals!:thumbup:

That's good to know & thanks. Momma wants me in a car, but I think I can talk her into a Spyder. Really don't want to give up riding, ya know?

Well, this one was pretty easy, just lost a bit of skin. The first one garnered me a broken collarbone, 6 broken ribs, a crushed L1 vertebrae & a couple crushed disks, and a blown out ACL in my left knee. fortunately I don't remember the first one, just the aftermath.

I was thinking the other day,"I really miss wearing my back brace." NOT!!! :2thumbs:

Bimjo
07-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Welcome aboard. This is a great forum and the :spyder:is a blast.

Thanks. :)

Bimjo
07-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Welcome to spyderlovers BIMJO, the v-strom 650 is one of only 2 street bikes I have rode, Until the :spyder: came & I must say I have never looked back.
The :spyder: has been the best & most care free ride I have ever experienced. I was just telling my buddy the other day that my :spyder: had a little bit of every thing in it. It is part roadster/wheeled,
Cruiser, Sport bike/crotch rocket, so no matter what kind of ride I am in the mood for :spyder: never lets me down!! I have had my "little yellow go getter" since April & now have 5100 miles on it.
My advise is jump in with both feet & enjoy.

I'm sure you have checked but the demo tour is getting around pretty quick so watch your area.

Again welcome & good luck with the :spyder: or what ever type transportation you decide.

:thumbup:SPYMAN:thumbup:

Thanks Spyman. Hard to imagine anything more trouble free than a Strom but that's a good selling point. :thumbup:

Smylinacha
07-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I got a yellow one of these, not great above 50mph with a stock windscreen and NOT D.O.T. approved, but it's better than nothing for running around the neighborhood.(no helmet law here).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Apparel-Gear-Merchandise__Chinese-PLA-Air-Force-Jet-Pilot-Flight-Helmet-RARE-SZ-L_W0QQitemZ160261262529QQadnZApparelQ2cQ20GearQ20Q 26Q20MerchandiseQQadiZ7659QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 160261262529&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/1602612625296464_1.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Apparel-Gear-Merchandise__Chinese-PLA-Air-Force-Jet-Pilot-Flight-Helmet-RARE-SZ-L_W0QQitemZ160261262529QQadnZApparelQ2cQ20GearQ20Q 26Q20MerchandiseQQadiZ7659QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 160261262529)

Yeah I have a non-dot shorty too. Going to do a little test ride - go get some gas with it today - just in town stuff but the road I go on to get my gas I can get it up to 60 just to see if it helps. I found some other glasses that have that foam insert so maybe that will help. I found that my regular prescription riding glasses let too much air in and my eyes tear so bad I can't see.

Smylinacha
07-20-2008, 09:50 AM
That's good to know & thanks. Momma wants me in a car, but I think I can talk her into a Spyder. Really don't want to give up riding, ya know?

Well, this one was pretty easy, just lost a bit of skin. The first one garnered me a broken collarbone, 6 broken ribs, a crushed L1 vertebrae & a couple crushed disks, and a blown out ACL in my left knee. fortunately I don't remember the first one, just the aftermath.

I was thinking the other day,"I really miss wearing my back brace." NOT!!! :2thumbs:

It might be on this forum but I know for sure if you go to www.spyderryder.brp.com (http://www.spyderryder.brp.com) you can view all the videos of the spyder - there are safety videos in there. I really think it's the safest thing around. You can still romp on it and go fast like you did on your two wheels but this thing has a vehicle stability system - no worrying about running over sand, oil - none of that anymore! Definitely try a test ride at a dealer - you're gonna love it:)

TonyMac
07-20-2008, 10:14 AM
[quote=jeuchler;42147]

I've been wearing one for the last month, I must say "The best $35.00 I have spent on riding gear to date". Here in Vegas it has been 107% 112%ETC the past several weeks. But with my cooling vest It has been good riding.

:2thumbs:SPYMAN:2thumbs:

P.S. I got mine at www.cyclegear.com (http://www.cyclegear.com)

OH MY GOD ! ! ! :yes:

I have got to get me one

Thanks for the tip