PDA

View Full Version : note Re brake squeek issue sent to dealers today

rpdata
07-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Folks,

Thought I'd share this - a dealer here in Canada received a note from BRP today authorizing the use of automotive brake cleaning agents to address the brake squeeking problem. The note went on to mention they've had excellent success with "CRC" products.....that's really all i have ...

I asked if this would be covered under warrant and was told yes.

Rob

HotMike
07-18-2008, 02:23 PM
http://ken-co.com/crc/crc.htm

http://ken-co.com/crc/brakleen.jpg

Quickly removes brake fluid, grease, oil and other contaminants from brake linings and pads.
Helps brakes last longer and perform more efficiently.
Cleans fast/Dries fast/No residue
Degreases instantly
Non-flammable
Works without disassembly
Brakleen - 3.78 litre - 75090
Brakleen - 19 litre - 75086
http://ken-co.com/crc/disc-brake-quiet.jpg

Forms a water resistant, high temperature film that instantly absorbs noise and quiets disc brake squeaks and squeals.
Easy to apply to new or previously installed pads
Disc Brake Quiet - 118 ml - 75016
Aerosol - 75017

beerman
07-19-2008, 09:03 PM
After trying the brp sugestion that you posted yesterday for the squeaky breaks I am right back to the squeaky breaks. It worked for an hour or so but then the squeaks cam back. I will try one more time tomorrow but I beleive the results will be the same. I feel the stock pads are to hard thus causing the problem. I would give up a little brake live for a spyder that does not squeak. Nothing worse than spendinf 17k for squeaky brakes.

NancysToy
07-20-2008, 07:24 AM
After trying the brp sugestion that you posted yesterday for the squeaky breaks I am right back to the squeaky breaks. It worked for an hour or so but then the squeaks cam back. I will try one more time tomorrow but I beleive the results will be the same. I feel the stock pads are to hard thus causing the problem. I would give up a little brake live for a spyder that does not squeak. Nothing worse than spendinf 17k for squeaky brakes.
I don't think it is the pad hardness. I doubt it is dirty pads or rotors, either, in most cases. I agree that cleaning products only provide a temporary fix, if any. If the problem is vibration, insulating the pads from the calipers can help. Many cars have special shims to do this, but I have not seen them on most bike brakes. Compounds you inject between the pads and caliper, like CRC Disk Brake Quiet, help in some cases. Some motorcycle brakes accomplish the same sound insulation by rubber mounting the rotors. Works fine until the buttons wear out, like on my BMW with 75,000 miles.
-Scotty

beerman
07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
recleaned the brakes again using crc brake clean and the used crc brake quiet. This seems to have done the trick. If the squeaks come back I'll let you know.

retread
07-20-2008, 12:16 PM
My Spyder has over 2000 miles, the only time the brakes have squealed, it was more of a groan, was when I backed out of the driveway after washing it, and the brakes were still wet. A friend of mine, who owns a brake shop, tells me that if the brakes were not cleaned properly prior to delivery, a glaze will form that is almost impossible to clear short of turning the rotors and replacing the pads.

Abbot Spyder
07-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I am a Wynn oil distributors and I sell a product call stop squeak, to dealership for the professional installer. It is use for brake squeal on cars with a fair amount of success. So since I have a brake squeal on my Spyder I decided to try it on mine. I remove all the brake pads, front and rear, and the front rotors, I took a good quality non chlorinated brake clean that evaporate quickly, and clean everything, front and back and allow to dry completely. I took a piece of emery cloth (200 grit) that I put flat on a of piece of wood, then I sanded all the brake pads, and took a file and rounded the edges of all the pads. Also sanded the rotors. With compressed air I clean averything to make sure to remove all the dust and particles. Now the product that I use has two parts, one part is a lube for the BACK of the pads and the other part is a liquid that you put on the pads itself. Yes I said on the pad, the side that make contact with the rotor. First I put a small coat of the liquid on the pad. I use a small paint brush to spread it evenly. I let it dry for a couple minutes than I put another coat on all the pads. It dry fast. Now all the pads have the stop Squeak on. The other part is a lube, it's a special grease for the back of the pad. I put that lube with my finger on the clip and on all the metal part of the back of the pad. Not to much but everything has a film of grease on it. I kept everything clean to make sure no lube touch the front of the pads or the rotors. I put everything back together and torque the wheels to specifications (77 foot LB). I fired up the Spyder and go for a test ride. First to do is, speed up to 45 miles per hour and apply the brake very hard until it stop. The brake will squeals and make all kind of noises. I did it two more times and the noise is gone. I did this at 800 miles and I now have 2300 miles and no noise. OK this work for me but that does not mean it will work for everybody. I am not saying it's a permanent fix but it work for my application. I just hope it help some other peoples with that ANNOYING brake squeal.

IdleUp
07-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I am a Wynn oil distributors and I sell a product call stop squeak, to dealership for the professional installer. It is use for brake squeal on cars with a fair amount of success. So since I have a brake squeal on my Spyder I decided to try it on mine. I remove all the brake pads, front and rear, and the front rotors, I took a good quality non chlorinated brake clean that evaporate quickly, and clean everything, front and back and allow to dry completely. I took a piece of emery cloth (200 grit) that I put flat on a of piece of wood, then I sanded all the brake pads, and took a file and rounded the edges of all the pads. Also sanded the rotors. With compressed air I clean averything to make sure to remove all the dust and particles. Now the product that I use has two parts, one part is a lube for the BACK of the pads and the other part is a liquid that you put on the pads itself. Yes I said on the pad, the side that make contact with the rotor. First I put a small coat of the liquid on the pad. I use a small paint brush to spread it evenly. I let it dry for a couple minutes than I put another coat on all the pads. It dry fast. Now all the pads have the stop Squeak on. The other part is a lube, it's a special grease for the back of the pad. I put that lube with my finger on the clip and on all the metal part of the back of the pad. Not to much but everything has a film of grease on it. I kept everything clean to make sure no lube touch the front of the pads or the rotors. I put everything back together and torque the wheels to specifications (77 foot LB). I fired up the Spyder and go for a test ride. First to do is, speed up to 45 miles per hour and apply the brake very hard until it stop. The brake will squeals and make all kind of noises. I did it two more times and the noise is gone. I did this at 800 miles and I now have 2300 miles and no noise. OK this work for me but that does not mean it will work for everybody. I am not saying it's a permanent fix but it work for my application. I just hope it help some other peoples with that ANNOYING brake squeal.

Thanks for the detailed report - where can we find the Winn products?

Thanks

Abbot Spyder
07-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Send me your address and I will send you some product to try. I want to know if it will work for you. nsylvain@verizon.net

dicko
07-26-2008, 04:41 AM
I've come to the conclusion that my brakes only squeek when I'm pulling up not dead straight. My brakes do squeak but only pulling up at roundabouts (veering as stopping) and as I stop in my drive (need to veer left as I stop) and other places where I'm not pulling up straight. Braking on an angle mabye putting an odd pressure on the pads/calipers. The shims that were mentioned above for cars that are not on bikes (and possibly not on single front-wheeled trikes) maybe the answer. Anyone know what quads have? Do they squeek?

hondaman
07-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I have a can-am outlander and the brakes were very noisy.I replaced the pads with ebc hd pads and I have no more noise.In my 15 years of automotive,brake pads usually causes the noise they have to have the ballance between too hard or soft not to damage the roters or wear out too fast.when your roters have the shiny look they need replaced or turned,new pads usually will not help.I will bet in the future usually about a year they will come out with an updated pad.

iSpy
07-27-2008, 02:14 AM
From my dealer:

"BRP has had several reports of excessive brake noise from customers and is well aware of the problem. They are currently working with the engineering team to find a solution. In the interim they have authorized us to use commercially available automotive products to reduce the brake noise. The product they specifically mention is one produced by CRC and is applied to the back side of the pad where it meets the caliper piston and avoid getting it on the pad surface or on the brake disc. They have told us to avoid aresol products because they are much thinner in viscosity. If you bring it here we can perform the work under warranty for you."

Have already done this. Product recommended would be CRC Disk Brake Quiet. I have done this and much more. Does not work.

Another message from BRP:

"We are presently testing alternative brake pads and components and are working closely with the supplier to find a solution. We will communicate updates on this issue as soon as possible. It appears that you have already communicated the brake noise to your dealer who should be in contact once new brake pads are available."

Best Regards,
Spyder Team

The solution is going to be ceramic or other material brake pads.