PDA

View Full Version : NJ Insurance during the winter

fas2000
11-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi all,

So I took my spyder to my parents house to store it away for the the winter. I called up Geico asking them to cancel/freeze my policy for the winter. But they told me that if i did so that i will have to submit my tags to dmv and then get them again once I renew my insurance back in the winter. I rather would not do that. I wanted to confirm if this is the case and if there is any way around it? They did offer me a winter storage plan and i will save during this time. I am ok with this also i suppose, but if i could cancel/suspend my insurance during this time it would be even better.

tia,
Fas

cuznjohn
11-25-2013, 06:58 PM
i have geico also and was told i could put a hold on my insurance also, but i never have done it b4 and had no clue you had to turn your plates in. if you put a hold on just the liability and kept the collision and theft it might help

mob133
11-25-2013, 07:08 PM
why would you cancel your insurance completely. are you willing to chance your bike being stolen or damaged in some way with no pay out all to save a couple bucks. who's gonna pay off the loan if this happens

ARtraveler
11-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Way back when in MN, people used to cancel their insurance on motorcycles in the winter time. I do not know if that option is even available here in Alaska. I just pay a monthly fee and my :spyder2:'s are covered no matter what happens to them. I prefer the peace of mind that offers.

Oldmanzues
11-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Plate turn in varies by State. Some require insurence or no plates. Most of these policys (but not all) just suspend liability coverage. Anything else remains. The kick is however. Some States will charge you to get your plates back and the insurency money saved is very small. Plus, if a nice day, you can not ride
Oldmanzues

Bob D: Where are you ???

Magdave
11-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Plate turn in varies by State. Some require insurence or no plates. Most of these policys (but not all) just suspend liability coverage. Anything else remains. The kick is however. Some States will charge you to get your plates back and the insurency money saved is very small. Plus, if a nice day, you can not ride
Oldmanzues

Bob D: Where are you ???

And the states that want the plates back will not let you keep them without liability. In Ohio I would just drop down to comprehensive and never had an issue. SC is totally different and some companies even rat you out to the state Geico is one of them.

fas2000
11-25-2013, 08:06 PM
why would you cancel your insurance completely. are you willing to chance your bike being stolen or damaged in some way with no pay out all to save a couple bucks. who's gonna pay off the loan if this happens

yah i dont mind taking that risk with mine. i bought it used, 2008, cash. If it was newer and worth more i might not want to take that risk. its in the garage and i feel the risk is quite low for me to have any issues. im sure many of you have rolex's on your wrists worth more then my little ol rs :).

i dont mind keeping the winter insurance, but at the same time if im not gonna use it till april and i save $50 a month for 4 months, thats a new pair of kevlar jeans that i have been looking for :).

fas

fas2000
11-25-2013, 08:11 PM
And the states that want the plates back will not let you keep them without liability. In Ohio I would just drop down to comprehensive and never had an issue. SC is totally different and some companies even rat you out to the state Geico is one of them.

thx for the advice there.. i suppose that is the same that happens in NJ.

Glad i know now. And hope it helps anybody else who was curious as they are putting their sypders in for hibernation.

thx
fas

Showie
11-25-2013, 08:23 PM
I have Safco Insurance and was told I could keep Comp on but do not have a hibernation (my words) type program.

Oldmanzues
11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
yah i dont mind taking that risk with mine. i bought it used, 2008, cash. If it was newer and worth more i might not want to take that risk. its in the garage and i feel the risk is quite low for me to have any issues. im sure many of you have rolex's on your wrists worth more then my little ol rs :).

i dont mind keeping the winter insurance, but at the same time if im not gonna use it till april and i save $50 a month for 4 months, thats a new pair of kevlar jeans that i have been looking for :).

fas
It might be a good idea to make sure what you will save. I was told by one company, the rates for winter liability were a fraction of the rate for summer (riding for most) liability.

Mets79ST2013
11-25-2013, 10:05 PM
I have Geico also they offer me the same to put my bike way for the winter I told them no thanks, since we can have a crazy day do to Global warming, hahaha,,,I will ride any time is 40 or above, when I ask about the plates they told me I keep them, they will protect fire and theft only...

Have a great night :spyder2:lovers..

Dan McNally
11-25-2013, 10:11 PM

That may also be a state requirement to sell insurance in that state. I know that when I still lived in New York, the insurance company was required by law to notify the state if you cancelled your policy. If they didn't, they could lose their license to sell insurance in the state.

DrewNJ
11-26-2013, 12:46 AM
With State Farm here in NJ I inquired about dropping insurance or reduced insurance for the winter. They told me that it wasn't even an option. I didn't push for any additional info since I ride pretty much all year anyway. It was just out of curiosity.

bh164
05-29-2014, 04:23 PM
by riders for riders a great deal.....:bowdown:

joebryanjr
05-29-2014, 04:57 PM
have State Farm and they told me they would only issue the insurance in 1 year increments, not 6 mos. like my car insurance. At $30/mo it is worth it in case of fire, theft, etc.