PDA

View Full Version : NEW SMOOTHSPYDER BELT TENSIONER REVIEW

RBS66
11-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Hi guys I installed the new and improved Smoothspyder on my 2013 RT last week. First off right out-of-the-box I could tell it was built very well has some nice weight to it. Second the installation was pretty straightforward pretty simple. You remove the nut on the bottom of the rear shock bracket, Slide on the new belt tensioner bracket which also acts as a belt guard, Install the new Grade 8 nut that is supplied with Loctite then bolt on the spring and pulley. Set the tension and you're good to go.
Now for the test ride. I was having some serious vibrations due to belt slap especially when the bike was underload like going up a hill or riding two up. Sometimes going up a hill I would have to ride in third gear to get rid of the vibrations bike would feel like it was lugging. On highways at highway speeds always had to ride in fourth gear fifth gear would be too much vibration. Well all that is gone now. Now while riding shifting seems much smoother I'm riding in higher gears than I normally used to WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT.
Just want to give a shout out to Capt. Jim spoke to him on the phone a couple times very nice gentleman to speak to. Customer service was great I ordered it had it in a few days.

Chupaca
11-24-2013, 06:51 PM
have an RS with, what may now be old school, smoothspyder and has helped a lot with vibrations due to the belt. New to this first ever bike with a belt. Glad it has made a big difference for you. Captain Jim has a good product...!! :thumbup:

TuckMiddle
11-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Is this only for the 2013 RT or prior years too?
My belt vibration has always been a minor thing, but you could feel It through the right floorboard. Bought the belt thingy and it almost went away, practically undetectable. Couldn't justify a new one as things are now, just wondering how many models and years are covered by the it.
Tuck

RBS66
11-24-2013, 08:31 PM
My belt vibration has always been a minor thing, but you could feel It through the right floorboard. Bought the belt thingy and it almost went away, practically undetectable. Couldn't justify a new one as things are now, just wondering how many models and years are covered by the it.
Tuck

I think all years and models.

capt.jim
11-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Tuck
The new model with the belt guard will fit all 2010-2013 RT's, ST's and 2011-2012 RS's.

RTVIPER
11-24-2013, 09:37 PM
I too just installed the NEW belt tensioner on a 2011 RTS SE5 :spyder2:. Received belt tensioner within 3 days of placing order:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. installation was easy. Due to rain the last couple days haven't test driven. Will ride tomorrow. . I am experiencing belt vibration between 72-74 mph. Here's hoping that's a thing of the past :pray::pray::pray::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

hill27
11-24-2013, 11:42 PM
installed my 3 day a go i took it for short ride it working great.
thanks jim.

Michael211_2000
11-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Uhmm.... what's new and improved about it though? :dontknow:

Inquiring mind would like to know. Thanks!

- Michael

jcthorne
11-25-2013, 07:34 AM
I have to pitch in here for a great product. Fits perfectly, works as described and well engineered to work and last a long time.

hill27
12-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I toke it on a 150 mile ride before this cold front came in, nice smooth ride so far no vibrations 75 80 mph on hwy. What make it new, no need to dill bolt holes to install.