PDA

View Full Version : The first service. New Owner

ST114ME
11-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Just spoke to my dealer and I am scheduled for December 3rd. Is this service any more than an oil change? The dealer is telling me the service comes to about 400 dollars. Also oil changes every 3000 miles? Is that for real, full syn.oil should last more than 3000 miles. Is anyone doing more than 3000 between changes?

Magdave
11-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Just spoke to my dealer and I am scheduled for December 3rd. Is this service any more than an oil change? The dealer is telling me the service comes to about 400 dollars. Also oil changes every 3000 miles? Is that for real, full syn.oil should last more than 3000 miles. Is anyone doing more than 3000 between changes?
It is all in the owners manual. The price is about right and includes a total inspection of the bike during which my dealer found several items wrong along with a BUDS check for software updates (a $50-100 value) The oil change interval is pg 121 of the OM and is 4600mi.It is not full Syn it is a blend but these bikes (clutches) chew up the oil pretty quickly. What is done on the first service is on pg 120. :thumbup:

revjvegas
11-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Service intervals were extended (4600, 9300, 14000, ... ; once the larger oil filter is fitted, which if you don't already have will be included in the oil change kit.
The manual that came with your bike will list what all is to be done and it is more than just an oil change.

Hope that helps.

ARtraveler
11-22-2013, 02:37 PM

:welcome: :congrats: on your new ryde. The posters above have you covered. One complaint that we hear a lot is the sticker shock for servicing. The initial and other oil changes usually average around $300. The :spyder2: is very labor intensive with all the body parts, etc. The slightly longer intervals are also correct. The new 2014's have even longer intervals. The 14,000 mile service is a doozy and they suggest doing a valve check. Suggest you search the links and get the particulars. I don't recommend the valve check service at 14,000. You can plan on $800 or more on that service if you do.

Keep us posted.

Highwayman2013
11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
If you are mechanically inclined you can change your own oil after the dealer does the first one. About $65 for the oil change kit and a little time.:yikes:Welcome

Chupaca
11-22-2013, 05:46 PM
First of all welcome to the roadster world and the answer place..oil changes were modified some time ago and I would think they would know this. 4,600 on the semi synthetic oils they use. They do a lot more than oil change and the first service should be done by the dealer in my opinion. This way if anything goes wrong they will have set it up and checked that it was breaking in properly. After that I do all my own work I do have them do the buds check. Enjoy your ryde and welcome once again.. :thumbup:

ulflyer
11-23-2013, 07:14 PM
I changed my own oil and filters and later had the dealer re-torque the front sprocket which was the most significant item on the 600 mile checkup, AFAIC. However, you need to do whatever you feel comfortable with. :)

Mooseman
11-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Welcome:2thumbs: Hope you enjoy your ryde! I really like mine. My first service was $213.00 That included the complete 600 miles service and buds check and all the good stuff. Good luck! and again Welcome to the forum!

beanoil
11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Just spoke to my dealer and I am scheduled for December 3rd. Is this service any more than an oil change? The dealer is telling me the service comes to about 400 dollars. Also oil changes every 3000 miles? Is that for real, full syn.oil should last more than 3000 miles. Is anyone doing more than 3000 between changes? My first service was around 140. If you are comfortable with it, change your own oil. With the new panels it's pretty easy. Search for posts on oil, there are many. The oil change intervals are ridiculous. I'm convinced there is no oil that will last 4600 miles in this engine and still protect it. After 2000 miles, my oil tested out at a 30 weight, and I've seen oil analysis after 3000 where the oil was sheared to a 20 weight. Even (so called) premium synthetics shear in this mixmaster.

Magdave
11-24-2013, 11:46 AM
My first service was around 140. If you are comfortable with it, change your own oil. With the new panels it's pretty easy. Search for posts on oil, there are many. The oil change intervals are ridiculous. I'm convinced there is no oil that will last 4600 miles in this engine and still protect it. After 2000 miles, my oil tested out at a 30 weight, and I've seen oil analysis after 3000 where the oil was sheared to a 20 weight. Even (so called) premium synthetics shear in this mixmaster. Must be nice but flaunting the cheap service cost at your dealer is not. I can't get an oil change let alone full 600 mi. service done PROPERLY for $140. That just covers the labor because it takes ~2hrs to do it right.

kenk
11-24-2013, 12:04 PM
my dealer want 950 to 1000 dollars for my 14000 mile service and they said 900 for laser alignment, I have motor shop that change my oil for 140 and that was with amsoil,said I could go about 5000miles before I need it again .

ARtraveler
11-24-2013, 03:05 PM
my dealer want 950 to 1000 dollars for my 14000 mile service and they said 900 for laser alignment, I have motor shop that change my oil for 140 and that was with amsoil,said I could go about 5000miles before I need it again .

See post #4 regarding 14,000 mile service. Also search Valve Check for additional opinions.

Vrooom
11-24-2013, 05:04 PM
This is our first roadster, too, and I found the best dealer in our area and had first one done at 1100 miles for $299. $400 seems a little high? Went to same dealer for recall and feel they did a good job scheduling the appointment and answering all the questions we had about our Spyder. I spent some time talking to salesman and management to get a feel for their commitment to servicing the spider compared to the other things they sell. So far, I'm satisfied. Good luck.

Magdave
11-24-2013, 07:20 PM
This is our first roadster, too, and I found the best dealer in our area and had first one done at 1100 miles for $299. $400 seems a little high? Went to same dealer for recall and feel they did a good job scheduling the appointment and answering all the questions we had about our Spyder. I spent some time talking to salesman and management to get a feel for their commitment to servicing the spider compared to the other things they sell. So far, I'm satisfied. Good luck.

$300-400 is average price for the first service. The oil and filters are $60 bucks of that (dealer cost not ours).

beanoil
11-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Must be nice but flaunting the cheap service cost at your dealer is not. I can't get an oil change let alone full 600 mi. service done PROPERLY for $140. That just covers the labor because it takes ~2hrs to do it right. Hey, it's not my issue if your dealer can't accomplish your service for a reasonable price. If you can't get an oil change done for less than 140, something is seriously wrong. Are they charging you to watch the oil drain? Sorry you feel the way you do, but until you know my dealer, and their service department, you don't get to make the call on whether my service was done PROPERLY. Just because you are paying more, does not mean your service was better. Sheesh!

Magdave
11-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Hey, it's not my issue if your dealer can't accomplish your service for a reasonable price. If you can't get an oil change done for less than 140, something is seriously wrong. Are they charging you to watch the oil drain? Sorry you feel the way you do, but until you know my dealer, and their service department, you don't get to make the call on whether my service was done PROPERLY. Just because you are paying more, does not mean your service was better. Sheesh!
Not saying it was better but you are the only person I have ever seen get a first service done for that price an oil change...maybe. The topic was first service and done correctly it takes 1.5-2hrs. Not saying my service was better either just that you have an EXTRMELY low cost dealer far out of the norm and reporting it as you did it makes the OP feel ripped off. You have been around here long enough to know what the normal cost is I believe :thumbup:

n1njazx7
11-25-2013, 10:41 AM
My dealer charges $125 hour for service.:yikes: I think it's very high but then again I don't have to pay it due to I brought the B.E.S.T. warrantee.

What do other dealers charge by the hour?

Magdave
11-25-2013, 11:03 AM
My dealer charges $125 hour for service.:yikes: I think it's very high but then again I don't have to pay it due to I brought the B.E.S.T. warrantee.

What do other dealers charge by the hour?

That too is about normal some are a little cheaper mine was $116 (including tax). You WILL pay that when you get your oil/services done BRP does not pay the labor for them.:thumbup: