PDA

View Full Version : Planning to do an Ironbutt on the Spyder

Lamonster
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
I've done a few 700+ days on the Spyder but I've never done a Ironbutt on the Spyder yet. I'm not going to bother with doing it offically but I am going to do it for me to see how it will be. :doorag: I'll be doing this on my ride to San Diego by way of Sturgis.

For those of you that don't know what a Ironbutt is, it's 1000 miles or more in 24 hours. I think I can do it if I don't have to talk to to many people at my fuel stops.

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

http://www.ironbutt.com/images/ibalogo2.gif

retread
07-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Put an auxillary tank in your trailer and you won't have to stop.:joke:

jeuchler
07-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I've done a few 700+ days on the Spyder but I've never done a Ironbutt on the Spyder yet. I'm not going to bother with doing it offically but I am going to do it for me to see how it will be. :doorag: I'll be doing this on my ride to San Diego by way of Sturgis.

For those of you that don't know what a Ironbutt is, it's 1000 miles or more in 24 hours. I think I can do it if I don't have to talk to to many people at my fuel stops.

You might just make up a new batch of business cards, with a note about your goal of riding 1000 miles in a day. This way you can hand them a card, wave, say "Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but..." and be on your way.

Many folks who get such a card will feel like they've somehow participated in helping you reach your goal.

Good luck, man. You've done your checklist (http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html), I suppose? :thumbup:

MSGTDOC
07-17-2008, 08:54 AM
GOOD LUCK AND DRIVE SAFE

bjt
07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
I just got my calculator out and ran a few numbers. I think I could do an ironbutt on the Spyder. Not that I would want to do it every day but I did get a solid 10 - 11 hour day of riding on my Spyder once. Total trip time of over 15 hours. Maybe I can talk dltang into trying an ironbutt ride out to Vegas next summer. :D

mike3069
07-17-2008, 09:08 AM
I don't think I could pull this off. My spyder seems to be allergic to roads with more than 2 lanes!!!!!:dontknow:

John/Bike Solutions LLC
07-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I have done 2 iron butt rides in one week on my Gold Wing. Its not too bad if you have a radio, GPS, and water to drink while going down the road. I am sure WHEN my spider gets here I will do one on it as well.

Good luck!

John

COSpyder
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Come to Colorado and do it with me!! I still can't get any of my lame friends to do one on August 16!

jnt
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Put an auxillary tank in your trailer and you won't have to stop.:joke:

:2thumbs: If you do that, you'll have to show John and the crew at Bushtec!

Safe ryde; stay hydrated!

Oh - why not make it official? IBA needs more Spyders!

sabunim5
07-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I've done it a couple of times on 2 wheels. Just be sure you are well rested before you start. Good Luck and Safe Ryding. You'll have no trouble if you can get away at food and/or fuel stops.:thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

slather1
07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Good luck and ride safely. Stock seat and windshield?

Spanky
07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey Lamonster,
Maybe we should set up a meet with the SoCal Spyders while you're in town.

Any thoughts on that?

Lamonster
07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Good luck and ride safely. Stock seat and windshield?

Magic Man is now a dealer for the Calsic windshields so I just ordered one from him. It should be here on Tuesday. I really like the look of this shield and the fact that it looks like it bolts right up.:thumbup: On top of that the Magic Man is the goto guy so that pushed me over the edge.:doorag:

:yes::2excited:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Spyder/spyder2.jpg

BOHICA
07-17-2008, 04:34 PM
I have done 2 iron butt rides in one week on my Gold Wing. Its not too bad if you have a radio, GPS, and water to drink while going down the road. I am sure WHEN my spider gets here I will do one on it as well.

Good luck!

John

Hey John...you planning on making a "Wingsoft" seat for the spyder?

ps....sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but John makes a great mod to the goldwing seat and he may be the man to see if you plan on doing an ironbutt.

spydsense
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Magic Man is now a dealer for the Calsic windshields so I just ordered one from him. It should be here on Tuesday. I really like the look of this shield and the fact that it looks like it bolts right up.:thumbup: On top of that the Magic Man is the goto guy so that pushed me over the edge.:doorag:

:yes::2excited:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Spyder/spyder2.jpg
I really like the looks of this windshield, the best after market one I've seen...I can't wait too hear how you like it. :thumbup:

Lamonster
07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I really like the looks of this windshield, the best after market one I've seen...I can't wait too hear how you like it. :thumbup:

Well I'm really not a windshield kind of guy so I may be a little harder on the review than most I guess. If I get turbulence or buffeting I'll let you know. That the biggest problem I've had with most shields I've used.

NancysToy
07-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Hey man, as long as you are doing it, document it and make it official. There's no reason not to. My bod won't take the abuse any more, or I would do it in an instant, just to say I did when I get to the pearly gates. Maybe after I get some replacement parts.

On Can-Am Talk, while I was still frequenting it, at least a couple of guys did a variety of IBs early on with their Spyders. I remember one Iron Butt (1,000 mi/24 hr), one Bun Burner Gold (1,500 mi/36 hr), and a couple of 50CC rides (50 hrs coast to coast). Good platform for the long run. maybe it will be a good test for your Calsci windshield.
-Scotty

Smylinacha
07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Should be fun! Ride safe :thumbup:

Lamonster
07-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey man, as long as you are doing it, document it and make it official. There's no reason not to. My bod won't take the abuse any more, or I would do it in an instant, just to say I did when I get to the pearly gates. Maybe after I get some replacement parts.

On Can-Am Talk, while I was still frequenting it, at least a couple of guys did a variety of IBs early on with their Spyders. I remember one Iron Butt (1,000 mi/24 hr), one Bun Burner Gold (1,500 mi/36 hr), and a couple of 50CC rides (50 hrs coast to coast). Good platform for the long run. maybe it will be a good test for your Calsci windshield.
-Scotty
I've done it before on a Valkyrie and I did it just to see if I could. To be honest I'm not much good with paperwork and could really careless if I got a badge or whatever you get. All I want to do is do it for me. :doorag:

spydsense
07-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Well I'm really not a windshield kind of guy so I may be a little harder on the review than most I guess. If I get turbulence or buffeting I'll let you know. That the biggest problem I've had with most shields I've used.

I've never been a helmet kind of gal, but I do wear one now and I do hate It when the helmet fills up with air (at a high rate of speed) or bounces your head all over the place. Please tell it like it is :D

tatt2r
07-17-2008, 07:29 PM
grab a depends wont have to stop to poop or pee also help cushin the ride

Lamonster
07-17-2008, 07:42 PM
My sister use to race the Baja 1000 and that's what they did. :shocked::barf:

bjt
07-17-2008, 08:16 PM

My sister use to race the Baja 1000 and that's what they did. :shocked::barf:

I'll stick this in the TMI (too much information) category. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/surprised-036.gif :D

csmead
07-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I am really interested in a better shield. Nothing has come out yet that any two or three people feel the same way. I would rather not have to clean off my face (shield) very 100 miles (living in Ag. country) and the cotton moths will be out soon...
Good luck on your ride, let us know how the shield works out.:popcorn:

Lamonster
07-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey Lamonster,
Maybe we should set up a meet with the SoCal Spyders while you're in town.

Any thoughts on that?
Sorry but I missed this post. :opps:
That would be great if we can make it work. I'll be in the San Diego area. Where are you?

pphantom538
07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
good luck and enjoy

SSL4X4
07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
hey CoSpyder I will ride with ya...hit me back with a private message. I am gonna do some shorts rides this weekend.

Spanky
07-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry but I missed this post. :opps:
That would be great if we can make it work. I'll be in the San Diego area. Where are you?

I'm in Orange County, you know between LA and SD county. Maybe a Julian :spyder: ride/meet would be in order. When do you plan on being in the SD area?

Lamonster
07-18-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm in Orange County, you know between LA and SD county. Maybe a Julian :spyder: ride/meet would be in order. When do you plan on being in the SD area?

That would be great, I planned on getting some apple pie there anyway.:2thumbs::doorag:

hevnbound
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh - why not make it official? IBA needs more Spyders!

Does that mean we already have an Iron Butt Spyder?? ..

If not then you got to do it Lamont. If not for you - for us loyal SpyderLovers!!

* First Iron Butt Spyder ... BRP would love that!!
* First Iron Butter(?) pulling a Bushtec ... Bushtec would love that
* First Iron Butter from a Spyder forum ... SpyderLovers.com
* First Spyder with an IBA sticker!!

smokster
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
That would be great, I planned on getting some apple pie there anyway.:2thumbs::doorag:
I will meet up with you guys in Julian. Great riding.
Ken is right down the street as well.
Cmon Ken, chime in !

docdoru
07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Any floridians planning for 24 Hours To Tulsa ? Aug 16-18, 2008
http://www.ironbutt.com/natmeet2008/

NancysToy
07-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Does that mean we already have an Iron Butt Spyder?? ..

If not then you got to do it Lamont. If not for you - for us loyal SpyderLovers!!

* First Iron Butt Spyder ... BRP would love that!!
* First Iron Butter(?) pulling a Bushtec ... Bushtec would love that
* First Iron Butter from a Spyder forum ... SpyderLovers.com
* First Spyder with an IBA sticker!!
The latest IBA list shows a BBG and a 50CC on a Spyder, both by the same rider, done in March 2008.

spyder3rdr
07-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey Lamonster , I'm sure you can do it ... I did it on the way home from Quebec without any problems ! ryde safe and good luck !!!

Stuart49
07-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I think 1000 / 24 on the Spyder would be a cake-walk.

On the way home from the Iron Butt Dinner Party in JAX in March I did about 800 in one day, and it was pretty cold, around 40F. Even with my Gerbing that was a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day.

Take your time and stay hydrated!

Stuart

frleo
07-19-2008, 01:03 PM
100 miles is long distance for me -0-0 to be young again.

---leo---