PDA

View Full Version : 2010 RTS Trade In Value

jmcbow
11-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Just curious, but am thinking seriously about trading in my 2010 RTS SM5, just wondering, with the new 2014's rolling out if others with a 2010 RTS are thinking the same and what they have listed their RT's for or what they have been offered as a trade in. Appreciate the feed back.

Mine is as follows: 2010 RTS SM5, 16,000 miles, all the chrome BRP offers, HMT third brake light, bright sides running lights, Street Magic scuff guards high way pegs, Spyder Pops bump skid and anti sway bars, Power Sports Wraps carbon fiber dash skin, 12 VDC outlet on dash, ram mount for Garmin, chrome wheels all around including the rear sprocket and hub assembly, Corbin seat with spider web stitching with back rest and matching passenger back rest, pin stripping.

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 11:06 AM
I got almost $15,000 for mine...
A 2010 RT A&C that had been brought fully-up to RTS specs... and 17,000 miles on the it. :thumbup:

jmcbow
11-19-2013, 11:25 AM
A 2010 RT A&C that had been brought fully-up to RTS specs... and 17,000 miles on the it. :thumbup:

My dealer offered me 12,000.00 arguing that they had received a shipment of 2013 Limited's that have a big markdown from BRP and therefore are bringing my trade in value down.

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
OUCH! :shocked:

bullant12
11-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Just curious, but am thinking seriously about trading in my 2010 RTS SM5, just wondering, with the new 2014's rolling out if others with a 2010 RTS are thinking the same and what they have listed their RT's for or what they have been offered as a trade in. Appreciate the feed back.

Mine is as follows: 2010 RTS SM5, 16,000 miles, all the chrome BRP offers, HMT third brake light, bright sides running lights, Street Magic scuff guards high way pegs, Spyder Pops bump skid and anti sway bars, Power Sports Wraps carbon fiber dash skin, 12 VDC outlet on dash, ram mount for Garmin, chrome wheels all around including the rear sprocket and hub assembly, Corbin seat with spider web stitching with back rest and matching passenger back rest, pin stripping.

My dealer offered me 12,000.00 arguing that they had received a shipment of 2013 Limited's that have a big markdown from BRP and therefore are bringing my trade in value down.

OUCH! :shocked:

Remember that dealers don't care what accessories you have on your :spyder2:, it's the demand and the usage they look after. They go thru their sources to get a trade in value, and that varies by area.

I would recommend selling it on the streets than trading in... although $12,000 is not a bad offer if you a) paid it off in full or owe less on your loan, b) don't want to deal with the hassle of the paperwork involved in selling and having the buyer not pay cash and run away and c) you can always negociate some kind of deal where the dealer can throw a few OEM parts on your new 2014.

jerpinoy
11-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Your better off to sell it vise trade.

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 12:46 PM
In Illinois; do they reduce the sales tax on the new vehicle by the value of the trade-in?
That's what they do here in New York... Our Sales Tax in this county is 8%
Your trade-in amount of $12000 would actually be worth $12960 in our County.
If you got more than that on a private sale; you're ahead of the game!

jmcbow
11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
12,000 is low based on the info I'm getting from NADA guides, Kelly Blue Book, Cycle Trader and others, and that's for a stock RTS mine is far from stock. Not sure why the dealer would even accept a shipment of 2013's in October/November (especially in this part of the country where our riding season is pretty much over now) with the 2014's slated to hit the show rooms in December/January.

SpyderAnn01
11-19-2013, 01:06 PM
12,000 is low based on the info I'm getting from NADA guides, Kelly Blue Book, Cycle Trader and others, and that's for a stock RTS mine is far from stock. Not sure why the dealer would even accept a shipment of 2013's in October/November (especially in this part of the country where our riding season is pretty much over now) with the 2014's slated to hit the show rooms in December/January.

I think that KBB and Nada have been really high on their values on Spyders. I've never heard of anyone getting as much as they show for trade-in. Unfortunately for you the low prices on the 13s are killing the values of all Spyders. In hindsight I did pretty good when I traded my 2010 RTS SM5 with 59,200 miles in in April. It didn't seem all that great at the time but I hate to think what I would have gotten on it now.

You might consider taking off some of your farkles and selling them off the bike.

Cruzr Joe
11-19-2013, 01:07 PM
In Illinois; do they reduce the sales tax on the new vehicle by the value of the trade-in?
That's what they do here in New York... Our Sales Tax in this county is 8%
Your trade-in amount of $12000 would actually be worth $12960 in our County.
If you got more than that on a private sale; you're ahead of the game!

In Arkansas you can sell it or trade it and get sales tax credit if you replace it within 30 days of the sale. (someone else said it is now 90 days).

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
11-19-2013, 01:08 PM
I think that KBB and Nada have been really high on their values on Spyders. I've never heard of anyone getting as much as they show for trade-in. Unfortunately for you the low prices on the 13s are killing the values of all Spyders. In hindsight I did pretty good when I traded my 2010 RTS SM5 with 59,200 miles in in April. It didn't seem all that great at the time but I hate to think what I would have gotten on it now.

You might consider taking off some of your farkles and selling them off the bike.

:agree:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 01:11 PM
In Arkansas you can sell it or trade it and get sales tax credit if you repalce it within 30 days of the sale. (someone else said it is now 90 days).

You get the tax credit even on a private sale too? :clap: :2thumbs:

AWESOME!! Send some of that common sense up North! :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
11-19-2013, 01:24 PM
You get the tax credit even on a private sale too? :clap: :2thumbs:

AWESOME!! Send some of that common sense up North! :thumbup:

The reason we get it on a private sale also is so that the dealers don't have a captive market.

Cruzr Joe

Jeriatric
11-19-2013, 01:31 PM
http://m.cycletrader.com/CAN--AM-Spyder-RT--S-SE5-Motorcycles/search-results?Make=CAN--AM%7C2315918&Model=Spyder%2BRT--S%2BSE5%7C764854980&vrsn=hybrid

ARtraveler
11-19-2013, 01:35 PM

I am supposed to get $15K for mine. 36,000 miles and similarly equipped. SE5 here. I have a complete listing of accessories on my profile page. As mentioned by others, accessories don't count for much. I am probably going to end up selling the Corbin seat and back rest, as well as the Seal floorboards.

jmcbow
11-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Both KBB and NADA give you a range of prices (retail/trade in) I'm going by the lowest aggregate trade in value. Also, I've been looking at what dealers are listing similar RT's for. They seem to range in price from around 15K to almost 19K. That's a huge profit margin if I'm being offered 12K. Dealers are in business to make money, on both ends of the deal if they can. That doesn't mean they don't have negotiating room. I've learned over the years you don't take their first offer. If their ethical, they'll work with you on the price and trade in. Giving up some of their margin is better than not making anything if you walk away. Other than the Corbin seat, taking the other farkles off isn't really practical.

Sarge707
11-19-2013, 01:56 PM
If you have owned yours Over 2 years and have 16,000 miles you could ride it 4-5 years MORE and still be under 50,000 miles? You obviously have it the way you like it and if it runs well I,d keep it until the "Dust Settles" with the 2013 problems and the Longer testing of the New Model?:dontknow:

ARtraveler
11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Both KBB and NADA give you a range of prices (retail/trade in) I'm going by the lowest aggregate trade in value. Also, I've been looking at what dealers are listing similar RT's for. They seem to range in price from around 15K to almost 19K. That's a huge profit margin if I'm being offered 12K. Dealers are in business to make money, on both ends of the deal if they can. That doesn't mean they don't have negotiating room. I've learned over the years you don't take their first offer. If their ethical, they'll work with you on the price and trade in. Giving up some of their margin is better than not making anything if you walk away. Other than the Corbin seat, taking the other farkles off isn't really practical.

Agree that dealers should not be mercenary on the trades. If they can turn the trade around fast, then a thousand or two max is a good mark up. Those that are going for $3K to $5K do seem a little mercenary to me. When I traded my Vulcan 900 LTD in on the last :spyder2:, the dealer ended up getting the shaft. He started by pricing it at $1K plus trade. He had it for almost 11 months before it sold. He ended up selling it for $500 less than he gave me in trade. It was a REALLY, REALLY nice bike too. 6,000 miles and just like new. The purchaser ended up with a great motorcycle. Just an example of the pitfalls of the trade in market.

bscrive
11-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I would not be so quick to give up your Spyder to get a 2014. 16k miles is really low and you could still put a couple of more years on it and not loose much more money when you sell or trade it then. I don't get a good feeling with the 2014's. There is a reason they are being delayed and I am not too sure it is a good thing. nojoke If I were you I would wait another year to make sure that the 2014's are not a repeat of the 2013's. Sorry to those who already bout theirs but that's what I think. A 2010 is not an old machine by any stretch. I ride a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate and I wouldn't give it up for anything new these days. nojoke

jmcbow
11-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I would not be so quick to give up your Spyder to get a 2014. 16k miles is really low and you could still put a couple of more years on it and not loose much more money when you sell or trade it then. I don't get a good feeling with the 2014's. There is a reason they are being delayed and I am not too sure it is a good thing. nojoke If I were you I would wait another year to make sure that the 2014's are not a repeat of the 2013's. Sorry to those who already bout theirs but that's what I think. A 2010 is not an old machine by any stretch. I ride a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate and I wouldn't give it up for anything new these days. nojoke

I don't really plan on getting another Spyder, I have not had a good "ownership experience". I believe it's time to go back to 2 wheels.

Highwayman2013
11-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Brp had a bunch of 2013's left over and they sold them to the dealers at a discount. My dealer had a new 2013 RT Limited for $7000 off list last month.

MidLifeCrisis
11-19-2013, 05:26 PM
I've been offered 14 on trade, which is about 15.2 with the tax credit. So called interested parties have offered me 13 and act like they are doing me a favor.

I will be trading mine in, if I can actually get to the bike I want in time, before it's sold.....one of these days.

Outside of the recalls, my 2010 has been a great machine, but the 2013 horror stories and deep discounts are giving the entire line a bad rap. Couple that with the fact that so many are parked for the winter with oodles on eBay expiring with no bids and the situation appears much more grim than reality.

I really hope the 2014s are the cat's meow. I still think nothing released the 14s faster than the 13s. It was most likely a 2015 or 2016 release, but rushed after the big promises of the 13s didn't pan out. The 14 concept looks super good on paper. Just hope they tested them in AZ this time..... In the summer..... In Phoenix.

I'm still one of those who still thinks the issues with the 13s are solvable, but the will likely go the way if Windows Me!

SpyderAnn01
11-19-2013, 07:18 PM
I don't really plan on getting another Spyder, I have not had a good "ownership experience". I believe it's time to go back to 2 wheels.

Then I wouldn't expect that a non Spyder dealer will give you much on a trade. Have you considered selling it yourself?

MidLifeCrisis
11-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Then I wouldn't expect that a non Spyder dealer will give you much on a trade. Have you considered selling it yourself?

Agreed.

Bob Denman
11-20-2013, 08:15 AM
:agree: X2... What else would you expect??? :dontknow:

jmcbow
11-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I've been offered 14 on trade, which is about 15.2 with the tax credit. So called interested parties have offered me 13 and act like they are doing me a favor.

I will be trading mine in, if I can actually get to the bike I want in time, before it's sold.....one of these days.

Outside of the recalls, my 2010 has been a great machine, but the 2013 horror stories and deep discounts are giving the entire line a bad rap. Couple that with the fact that so many are parked for the winter with oodles on eBay expiring with no bids and the situation appears much more grim than reality.

I really hope the 2014s are the cat's meow. I still think nothing released the 14s faster than the 13s. It was most likely a 2015 or 2016 release, but rushed after the big promises of the 13s didn't pan out. The 14 concept looks super good on paper. Just hope they tested them in AZ this time..... In the summer..... In Phoenix.

I'm still one of those who still thinks the issues with the 13s are solvable, but the will likely go the way if Windows Me!

After talking with the dealer again, he did share with me that they have had a number of Spyder owners already come in and express and interest in trading in their 2012/2013 on a new 2014. At this point they are afraid to pay to much at trade in for a 2010 because they fear they will have a glut of used 2012's & 2013's to move as well. He also pointed out that the majority of people who buy a Spyder buy an automatic not as SM5 which also impacts their ability to sell a used 2010 RTS SM5. I was disappointed to learn all of that but I see their point. Bad timing if you own an older RTS and wish to trade it in. There are also demo models that BRP has used for their demo events that have been "dumped" into the market at a greatly reduced price, which is also pulling down trade in values. What can you do, it is what it is.

LadyDi'sSpyder
11-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Just traded in my 2010 RT SE with web boards, got 14,100 with 8k miles. Able to get a 2013 RT SE Limited for 10k with my trade.

Bob Denman
11-20-2013, 06:07 PM
:congrats: :2thumbs: