PDA

View Full Version : Helmet recommendations - eyeglasses

TonyMac
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I included my Shoei helmet when I sold my Suzuki DR650. Now that the :spyder: is almost here, I have to replace it. I was hoping you all would have some recommendations for a full face helmet (Spyder Yellow, of course) that works well with eyeglasses. I always hated taking off my glasses, putting them on the seat, starting to put on the helmet and then the wind blowing them on the ground and scratching the lenses. I was hoping the full face flip up type would be good, but I've not seen or worn that type.

Any advice and point me at a good vendor would be appreciated. Thanks, Tony ;)

jimjel
07-16-2008, 09:50 PM
I wear glasses and find the flip face helmets to work great. Do not have to mess with glasses at all.

NancysToy
07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
My Scorpion EXO 700 works great with glasses, but you do have to take them off and set them on the seat, etc. They have a slot in the padding where the bows fit, so they slip right on without a struggle.
-Scotty

retread
07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
My Nolan N42 (open face) works fine for me, keep the trifocals on and put the lid on with no trouble.

hevnbound
07-17-2008, 12:25 AM
If the Shoei worked for you why not another Shoei? They have a solid yellow that looks like it would be close to the Spyder yellow? They also have several helmets with yellow 'n black in them!

My favorite helmets are: EX0 700 Scorpion, HJC Carbon and my new HJC Sy Max II modular with the built-in sun shade.

I wear glasses and all of these helmets fit me well.

Also, you can do a search on "helmets". There are alot of older good threads regarding helmets.

Good luck ... Whatever helmet you choose, ... the full face is the way to go!! :2thumbs:

dicko
07-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Pre Laser surgery, I wore multi-focals that had to be on dead straight to see out of. With a complete open-face, the wind would pull/skew the glasses and twice my clip-on sunnies were ripped off. As a result I have an open-face Nolan N41 (for warmer days) with visor and a Nolan N-102 (aka N-Comm) flip-chin for colder weather. This Nolan is a little noisy (wind) but my prior flip-chin was great. Only some very expensive full face helmets allowed me to put my glasses on successfully with the helmet on. Hence I went with the more economical Nolan.

sleepman
07-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Before I switched to contacts I wore a modular with my glasses.

jeuchler
07-17-2008, 04:27 AM
I included my Shoei helmet when I sold my Suzuki DR650. Now that the :spyder: is almost here, I have to replace it. I was hoping you all would have some recommendations for a full face helmet (Spyder Yellow, of course) that works well with eyeglasses. I always hated taking off my glasses, putting them on the seat, starting to put on the helmet and then the wind blowing them on the ground and scratching the lenses. I was hoping the full face flip up type would be good, but I've not seen or worn that type...

I think the modulars look like they would be awesome, I just didn't pop for the added expense last time. I have two Shoei, this last one an RF 1000, and the glasses situation is fine.

The last time I was pushing a shopping cart through the "things" aisle at Linens & Things (or maybe it was the "beyond" aisle at Bed, Bath & Beyond...) for my lovely bride, I saw this little foam cylinder container with a flexible hook and top for tossing change in and hanging it in a car.

I put it on the left handle bar and have trained myself when my glasses come off, the go in the little hanging case. I leave them in there (spare set) when it's garaged, and I'm set to go next time.

I'll post a pic if you're interested...

bjt
07-17-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm interested. You leave this on the Spyder while riding?
:nopic:

jeuchler
07-17-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm interested. You leave this on the Spyder while riding?
:nopic:

Here you go, Brian:

http://www.6impossible.com/spyder/SpyderCase.jpg

It's called an "automotive catch all" from Case Logic. I haven't taken it off and it survived those two long trips at sometimes high speeds. I don't usually leave the glasses in them when ryding though.

It's made of neoprene, with a little flexible (like Gumby) loop at the top, and the round opening can also be bent. Here's the company photo:

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472/124/36h/img.ebags.com/is/image/im0/57170_1_1?&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

..and now I realize you can get it direct from them (http://www.caselogic.com/automotive_catch_all/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57170#), if going to BB&B or L&T is not, well, your thing. (My daughter wouldn't be caught dead in the pink Barbie toys aisle, and I once had a fellow sell me a Jeep but refuse to sign his name on the bill of sale 'cause there was only a purple pen available...)

TonyMac
07-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Wow! A plethora of great information :2thumbs: Appreciate all the input

I'll be shopping on line this evening. Have to buy two helmets (one for me and the Wife-L-Unit) along with gloves and mesh jackets as well.

spyderbitten
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I have been wearing BRP's modular helmet since they came out. No problem with glasses. I also have BRP's snocross helmet I wear in the mountains when snowmobiling, but it is not eyeglass friendly. Although the modular is indeed pricey, I have not regretted the purchase.

jnt
07-17-2008, 10:48 AM
We have worn modulars since late 80s. Started with BMW System (no longer sold in US, then Schuberth Concept. (The BMW helmets fit our heads, and they are made by Schuberth.) W now has a BMW System 4 EVO (purchased in Germany), I wear a Schuberth C2 (my System 4 did its job when a SUV attacked my BMW).

BIG thing is make sure what you buy fits your head! If Shoei worked before, I'd start there, the SyncroTec is a great helmet.

JMHO

sabunim5
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
A good place to look at reviews of various helmets before you make your decision is www.webbikeworld.com (http://www.webbikeworld.com). I wear glasses and have worn Nolan modulars for commuting for some time. Modulars tend to be heavier and noisier than the same full face. The weight doesn't bother me and I always ride with earplugs so the noise is no problem. Glasses can be a pain in the rear, but I've worn them since I was 14 and they have saved me from eye injury on more than one occasion. Good luck in finding something that is right for you.:thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

Smylinacha
07-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I need something like this. My problem is I refuse to wear my glasses - I hate them. Maybe I should just break down and get the darn contacts.:dontknow:

baxter2215
07-17-2008, 06:12 PM
check out this website www.rgvcyclegear.com (http://www.rgvcyclegear.com) good quality helmets and great prices...also free shipping!

TonyMac
07-17-2008, 07:19 PM
sabunim5 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=1302) and Baxter2215

Those web sites were very helpful. I found some great reviews on helmets (information overload) and some great prices too.

I need to verify sizes and place some orders so I have my helmets in time for the arrival of my new baby :spyder:

Thanks a bunch everyone ! :2excited:

csmead
07-17-2008, 08:38 PM
A new modular shield on the market that we saw at a bike show....HJC SyMaxII.
Check it out. My husband wears glasses, needs a modular to avoid knocking them off and it has a built in sunshade (like the Nolan, only inside the clear shield and cheaper helmet). The sunshade works with a push lever on the back of the head, and a spring-held button releases the shade back into the helmet out of the way. We bought two. The yellow one is about $20 more than base price.

frleo
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm surprised noone mentioned HJC's sYmax. I've used a sYmax for several years, wear glasses and find it very convenient. At slow speeds, I flip the face shield up and enjoy the air.

---leo---

SSL4X4
07-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I wear a Scorpion EXO1000. It came highly recommended from a friend that has a Spyder as well. Scorpion makes the modular helmets for Can AM and BRP by the way. It has inflatable cheek pads and a release valve almost like a blood pressure cuff. It also has a flip down sun visor that I have used a lot here in sunny Colorado. Another buddy of mine loves Arai helmets but for the money and features it seemed to me the Scorpion was my best choice. The true test of a helmet is how well they fit and it fits my big mellon like a glove!!

hevnbound
07-18-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm surprised noone mentioned HJC's sYmax. I've used a sYmax for several years, wear glasses and find it very convenient. At slow speeds, I flip the face shield up and enjoy the air.

---leo---

You must have missed it .. I mentioned it above. Except - I have the new Sy Max II with the flip down sun visor which works very well with my glasses.

Also ... a modular (flip up) is great for the reasaon you mention (at slow speeds) plus, the ease to put on and take off with your glasses on (!!) and for conversation at stop lights, etc. When I'm not going to be at a location for long, instead of taking the helmet off, I can just flip up the modular chin and keep it on (e.g. .. gas stops).