PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Meal Talk

arntufun
11-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Besides Turkey, stuffing, potatos/gravy and cranberry sauce, what else do you like to serve ??? Share your ideas and reciepes here. :thumbup:

:popcorn:

I have to always make deviled eggs sprinkled with paperika for a nice pop of color------ yummy

Bob Denman
11-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Why; FOOTBALL! Of course!! :2thumbs:
The Missus likes any team with Peyton Manning at the helm...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_1_308.gif
I'm left with the Giants... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_1_319.gif

granpa in Cincy
11-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Mincemeat pie and pecan pie. :yes:

Hold the pumpkin pie. Don't care for it at all. :sour:

bruiser
11-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Sauerkraut. Hey, it's a German thing.

Spyder_Cowgirl
11-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Smoked Pheasant and Mashed Yams with brown sugar, butter, and amaretto (the only way my other half will eat them).

Yfactor
11-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Candied yams, Deviled eggs, Potato salad, green beans Ham (don't like bird), stuffing w/giblet gravy.

spydaman60
11-18-2013, 10:12 AM
old family recipe--- sweet potato or yams with orange slices! peel and prep four to five large yams and slice them into 1/4" slices. take two large oranges and cut them in 1/8" slices. then take the yam slices and vertically place them into a pyrex baking dish three slices at a time and then one 1/2 orange slice, 3 slices yam and then orange slice etc,etc, etc. until the yams (or sweet potatoes) are all used up. pour 1/2 cup orange juice over the top of them and 1/4 cup grand mernier. take a couple of shots of the grand mernier while you sit back and wait for them to bake at 375 degrees for about an hour. have a great thanksgiving everyone!!!:thumbup:

Yfactor
11-18-2013, 10:17 AM
old family recipe--- sweet potato or yams with orange slices! peel and prep four to five large yams and slice them into 1/4" slices. take two large oranges and cut them in 1/8" slices. then take the yam slices and vertically place them into a pyrex baking dish three slices at a time and then one 1/2 orange slice, 3 slices yam and then orange slice etc,etc, etc. until the yams (or sweet potatoes) are all used up. pour 1/2 cup orange juice over the top of them and 1/4 cup grand mernier. take a couple of shots of the grand mernier while you sit back and wait for them to bake at 375 degrees for about an hour. have a great thanksgiving everyone!!!:thumbup:

Same recipe here but add brown sugar.

spydaman60
11-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Same recipe here but add brown sugar. we would too, but diabetic!!! grand mernier is our brown sugar substitute!!
:thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-18-2013, 11:08 AM
With enough Grand Marnier; the entire cooking part of the meal can be forgotten... ;)

arntufun
11-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Pink Stuff

1 pkg. dry strawberry or cherry Jello
1 sm. carton cottage cheese
1 sm. carton Cool Whip
1 can of fruit cocktail ----- drained
marchiano cherries
Marshmallows if desired

Dissolve the package of Jello in a carton of cottage cheese and fold in the Cool Whip. Add the drained fruit cocktail, and marshmallows. Do not dissolve the Jello in water. Add a few cherries on top for presentation. Chill mixture for a few hours before serving.

Bob Denman
11-18-2013, 12:05 PM
:clap: :2thumbs:
I'm taking a copy of recipe, and putting it on the Missus' pillow tonight!:thumbup:

spydaman60
11-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Pink Stuff

1 pkg. dry strawberry or cherry Jello
1 sm. carton cottage cheese
1 sm. carton Cool Whip
1 can of fruit cocktail ----- drained
marchiano cherries
Marshmallows if desired

Dissolve the package of Jello in a carton of cottage cheese and fold in the Cool Whip. Add the drained fruit cocktail, and marshmallows. Do not dissolve the Jello in water. Add a few cherries on top for presentation. Chill mixture for a few hours before serving.

as kids, we used to call this pink fluff! wife also makes it with mandarin oranges and calls it orange fluff!

PrairieSpyder
11-18-2013, 12:22 PM
The pink stuff reminds me of my ex-in-laws, who always had home-made 'ambrosia". I never learned how to make it, but I found an ambrosia ice cream that I like just as well.

We make Garlic Rice. Brown 1 small diced onion and 2 cloves of diced garlic in 1 stick of real butter. Add 1 cup of rice, 1 large jar of sliced mushrooms and 2 cans of consumme. (This takes at least a 2-qt casserole dish.) Bake at 325 for 2 hours. When the 2 hour mark gets close check it. If you overcook it will be too dry, but you want all the broth absorbed and the rice cooked thoroughly.

bullant12
11-18-2013, 12:40 PM
You are all making me hungry... and drooling for Thanksgiving already!!!:coffee:

Yfactor
11-18-2013, 12:50 PM
With enough Grand Marnier; the entire cooking part of the meal can be forgotten... ;)

Like the way you think Bob :yikes:

Yfactor
11-18-2013, 12:52 PM
The pink stuff reminds me of my ex-in-laws, who always had home-made 'ambrosia". I never learned how to make it, but I found an ambrosia ice cream that I like just as well.

We make Garlic Rice. Brown 1 small diced onion and 2 cloves of diced garlic in 1 stick of real butter. Add 1 cup of rice, 1 large jar of sliced mushrooms and 2 cans of consumme. (This takes at least a 2-qt casserole dish.) Bake at 325 for 2 hours. When the 2 hour mark gets close check it. If you overcook it will be too dry, but you want all the broth absorbed and the rice cooked thoroughly.

Haven't had ambrosia since my mom pass years ago

Yfactor
11-18-2013, 12:54 PM
as kids, we used to call this pink fluff! wife also makes it with mandarin oranges and calls it orange fluff!

Only thing missing is coconut

jerpinoy
11-18-2013, 01:50 PM
I love it , eat in moderation and don't forget eating too much turkey will make you sleepy and you don't want to drive while drowsy.nojokenojokenojokenojoke

spydaman60
11-18-2013, 01:53 PM
I love it , eat in moderation and don't forget eating too much turkey will make you sleepy and you don't want to drive while drowsy.nojokenojokenojokenojokenext thing you know they'll be setting up police checkpoints to see if you've over eaten!!! what next???:roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-18-2013, 02:28 PM
next thing you know they'll be setting up police checkpoints to see if you've over eaten!!! what next???:roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCyh1dD7Dvw
I like to stay nice and alert while driving after a big meal... I take my pants off, and let them dangle out the bottom of the door-frame on the way home! It keeps you pretty alert, when you're keeping an extra eye out for the authorities! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
11-18-2013, 02:35 PM
You folks have talked about everything I like. Looking forward to the day, the company, and the football games that go with it. :2thumbs::clap::yes:

bruiser
11-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Not much on football but like watching the parades. We record them for baby girl. BB's family invited themselves down for Tday. Hopefully her sis in law will be bringing her cranberry salad. I think it's made from whole cranberry sauce, orange zest, walnuts.

flamingobabe
11-18-2013, 03:25 PM
79318Bacon wrapped turkey breast......it's the bomb

Bob Denman
11-18-2013, 03:35 PM
:shocked: Bacon wrapped??? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif
I'm cancelling our Thanksgiving, and heading your way! :thumbup:

jcthorne
11-18-2013, 05:58 PM
I'll add a few twists from our traditional table..

Tuxedo bourbon pecan pie (it wears a dark chocolate jacket to keep the bourbon in....)

Pumpkin praline cheesecake. My wife always hated pumpkin pie.....well, this is pumpkin and everyone likes cheesecake.

Cranberry, walnut and candied orange relish

And the one day a year that I always take the time to make real yeast raised American dinner rolls.

Now to start the holiday ehhhhh, discussions,

Folks that deep fry a turkey only do so because they were never taught how to properly brine and roast one. And likely were never served one to know the difference.

otter28169
11-18-2013, 06:25 PM
I'll add a few twists from our traditional table..

Tuxedo bourbon pecan pie (it wears a dark chocolate jacket to keep the bourbon in....)

Pumpkin praline cheesecake. My wife always hated pumpkin pie.....well, this is pumpkin and everyone likes cheesecake.

Cranberry, walnut and candied orange relish

And the one day a year that I always take the time to make real yeast raised American dinner rolls.

Now to start the holiday ehhhhh, discussions,

Folks that deep fry a turkey only do so because they were never taught how to properly brine and roast one. And likely were never served one to know the difference.

I need to know how to brine. That is one thing I was never taught. Our menu generally consists of: turkey, mashed potatoes, squash, turnip, gravy, scalloped corn, green bean casserole, brown and serve rolls, pickle tray, olive tray, pumpkin pie, apple pie, cherry pie, mincemeat pie, banana bread, date nut bread, cranberry bread, cranberry relish, and fruit salad with my famous home made whipped cream.

bruiser
11-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Chad, do you have an extra room???

otter28169
11-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Chad, do you have an extra room???

All kidding aside, there is always room for more at our table.

Just sayin'............

jcthorne
11-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I need to know how to brine. That is one thing I was never taught. .

For a turkey, it kind of depends on where you live as down south its kind of hard to find space in the fridge for a 5 gallon bucket..(I use the fridge in our motorhome) .up north, your garage is likely plenty cool enough with a little ice. The bird has to stay cold while brining. Spoiled bird is deadly.

For thanksgiving turkey, 4 onions, 4 oranges, 1/4 cup each parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. The herbs, not the song. 1 lb of non-iodized salt. Sea salt works fine too. 1 lb sugar.

Dissolve salt and sugar in a quart of hot water. Pour in new clean 5 gallon bucket. peel and quarter onions, quarter oranges. Place onions and oranges and half the herbs in the cleaned out bird and put in bucket. Place remainder of herbs in bucket and add cold water to cover. You may need to weigh down the bird. Allow it to soak overnight. Leave the onions and oranges inside while roasting. When ready to roast, remove from bucket, pat dry and rub skin with softend butter and sprinkle with rotisserie chicken seasoning. Roast according to the butterball directions according to weight. The bird will be very flavorful and juicy.

Once you take the time to do one right, you will never go back. And folks that thought they hated turkey will learn differently, they hate BAD turkey.

retread
11-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Apple cider smoked turkey, Jack Daniels whipped sweet potatoes, cream cheese corn, milk and honey rolls, pecan/sweet potato pie (made with maple syrup), and whatever the rest of the family brings.

john

TexasSpyder
11-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Can't have Thanksgiving without a fresh Texas Pecan Pie (using Burkett pecans), at least around our house.

J. D.

MarkLawson
11-19-2013, 08:31 AM
I might have to make this again

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/293829_471735789503536_1683547620_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/580909_471858836157898_1332729640_n.jpg

It's called 'Bacon Explosion' & you can google it.

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Wow! THAT looks gretty darn good! :2thumbs:
Char said that she's wrapping hers in bacon also... this now makes the question; "Whose party gets crashed?" :dontknow:

MarkLawson
11-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Wow! THAT looks gretty darn good! :2thumbs:
Char said that she's wrapping hers in bacon also... this now makes the question; "Whose party gets crashed?" :dontknow:

Actually, the bacon explosion is breakfast sausage, crumbled cooked bacon and BBQ seasoning/sauce wrapped in bacon. When done, you slice it in disks to serve. Could easily put a slice on a bun.

Here's the link: http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

bullant12
11-19-2013, 09:55 AM
BACON?!?!?:shocked::bowdown:

lyonsden
11-19-2013, 12:22 PM
This is one of my favorite side dishes.

Corn Casserole
Original recipe makes 4 - 6 servings Change Servings

1 (14.75 ounce) can creamed corn

1 (11.25 ounce) can shoe peg corn

1 cup macaroni

1/2 cup butter

8 ounces cubed Velveeta

Directions

1.Mix together creamed corn, shoe peg corn, (do not drain corn) and uncooked macaroni. Slice the butter or margarine, and mix into the corn mixture along with the cheese. Place in a buttered casserole dish. Cover.
2.Bake at 350 degrees covered for 30 minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes

Yfactor
11-19-2013, 12:37 PM
For a turkey, it kind of depends on where you live as down south its kind of hard to find space in the fridge for a 5 gallon bucket..(I use the fridge in our motorhome) .up north, your garage is likely plenty cool enough with a little ice. The bird has to stay cold while brining. Spoiled bird is deadly.

For thanksgiving turkey, 4 onions, 4 oranges, 1/4 cup each parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. The herbs, not the song. 1 lb of non-iodized salt. Sea salt works fine too. 1 lb sugar.

Dissolve salt and sugar in a quart of hot water. Pour in new clean 5 gallon bucket. peel and quarter onions, quarter oranges. Place onions and oranges and half the herbs in the cleaned out bird and put in bucket. Place remainder of herbs in bucket and add cold water to cover. You may need to weigh down the bird. Allow it to soak overnight. Leave the onions and oranges inside while roasting. When ready to roast, remove from bucket, pat dry and rub skin with softend butter and sprinkle with rotisserie chicken seasoning. Roast according to the butterball directions according to weight. The bird will be very flavorful and juicy.

Once you take the time to do one right, you will never go back. And folks that thought they hated turkey will learn differently, they hate BAD turkey.

Then there are those of us that just don't like bird of any kind!

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
BACON?!?!?:shocked::bowdown:

:agree:
Everything is better with pig! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_10_2.gif If it isn't; it sure should be! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Why would you put a slice of that "Bacon Explosion" on a bun? :shocked: All I'd need; is a large plate, knife, fork, and some ketchup! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I'm gonna have to see if I can get signed up for Monthly deliveries of these... :2thumbs:
I'll just need to smuggle a microwave into my intensive-care room! :shocked:

MarkLawson
11-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Here's a really great Ultimate Mac & Cheese recipe I like, although I add more cheese than this calls for.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/mac-n-cheese-with-bacon-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

flamingobabe
11-19-2013, 03:50 PM
we do a type of Fiesta Corn
1 bag frozen corn
1 cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 cup American cheese
Rol-tel tomatoes
jalapeņo as many as you want for heat

place all ingredient's in crock pot cook 4 hours on high

bruiser
11-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Do I see a SL Cookbook in the future?????

ARtraveler
11-19-2013, 04:10 PM

That may be a great idea. Since we have members from all over the country, there would be some great recipe variations to go through. Now--is there someone would be willing to be the compiler/editor? :popcorn::popcorn:

It could be ultimately put on a word document and be accessed by members who would print out all or parts of it.

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 05:40 PM
we do a type of Fiesta Corn
1 bag frozen corn
1 cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 cup American cheese
Rol-tel tomatoes
jalapeņo as many as you want for heat

place all ingredient's in crock pot cook 4 hours on high

You had me at cream cheese and jalapenos... :bowdown:
:2thumbs:
But how do you put that little accent sign in there??? :dontknow:

MarkLawson
11-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Here you go Bob....

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1392026_10151854736573962_230642640_n.jpg

BACON WRAPPED CHEESE STUFFED JALAPENOS

10 jalapenos
5 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
10 slices bacon (I used 50% less sodium bacon)...
Seasoning(s) of your choice to taste (I used cumin and coriander)

Preheat oven to 450*. Place wire rack over a baking sheet. (Or use a 9x13'' cake sheet lined with aluminum foil). Set aside.

Wash jalapenos. Cut stems off. Then cut each pepper lengthwise along one side. Scoop out or cut out ribs and seeds. Set aside.

Mix cream cheese with your favorite seasoning. Stir well to combine. Stuff 0.5oz or 1/10 of mixture into each jalapeno. Wrap each pepper with one slice of bacon. Make sure it covers the opening where the stem was and the slit along side of pepper so cheese does not ooze out while baking. Secure with 2-3 toothpicks. Repeat with remaining peppers.

Place on wire rack over baking sheet or aluminum foil lined cake sheet. Bake 30-45 minutes until bacon looks golden brown turning peppers over frequently. Once done, place on paper towel to absorb excess fat.

When warm outside, GRILL THOSE SUCKERS!

(Not my recipe... I pulled it off FB)

PrairieSpyder
11-19-2013, 07:04 PM
That may be a great idea. Since we have members from all over the country, there would be some great recipe variations to go through. Now--is there someone would be willing to be the compiler/editor? :popcorn::popcorn:

It could be ultimately put on a word document and be accessed by members who would print out all or parts of it.

I'd say compile it in a word processor, but publish it as a pdf, so it won't have to be platform-specific.

I'd also suggest a pic of each contributor with his/her Spyder.

retread
11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
I've got over 1200 recipes in Word format, and another 2 or 3 thousand waiting for me to type in. Started cooking when I was 8, collecting recipes 2 years later.

john

bruiser
11-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Me and my big mouth.

ameobe
11-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Doc & I tried a few years ago, but it didn't take-off.:hun:
The first recipe from Doc is awesome.:thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?18903-Hey-DOC