PDA

View Full Version : Locked seat?

viperryder
11-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Living in northern Ohio we get some days with very cold weather. Well, yesterday it caught up with me. I was unable to open my seat to hook up the battery tender. The key would not release the seat latch. Just would not move to the right. Got the idea to use wives hair dryer. After holding the dryer on the key for about five minutes the release was able to open the seat. Has this happened to anybody else? :chat:

StanProff
11-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Living in northern Ohio we get some days with very cold weather. Well, yesterday it caught up with me. I was unable to open my seat to hook up the battery tender. The key would not release the seat latch. Just would not move to the right. Got the idea to use wives hair dryer. After holding the dryer on the key for about five minutes the release was able to open the seat. Has this happened to anybody else? :chat:

Hasn't happened to me but take a small cresent wrench and simply remove the Pin from under the seat so It will not lock. This way you don't need the key to raise the seat. Let's face it, why does it need to lock anyway? It's not going to fly up with you setting on it and it stays down when you get off. :dontknow:

NancysToy
11-17-2013, 05:08 PM
It sounds like time to lubricate the pin and latch, and probably the ignition switch too. Don't use WD-40. It is good for cleaning or drying out a waterlogged lock, but dries the locks out and gums them up. A graphite or teflon product, preferably made for locks, works better. The pin could also need adjusting. If lubing the latch, pin, and switch doesn't cure it, the cable will probably need to be lubricated...which is a big pain.

viperryder
11-19-2013, 09:15 AM
It sounds like time to lubricate the pin and latch, and probably the ignition switch too. Don't use WD-40. It is good for cleaning or drying out a waterlogged lock, but dries the locks out and gums them up. A graphite or teflon product, preferably made for locks, works better. The pin could also need adjusting. If lubing the latch, pin, and switch doesn't cure it, the cable will probably need to be lubricated...which is a big pain.

I have had the unit to my tech numerous times to have this fixed, but it looks like I still have a problem. Any ideas?:banghead:

Bob Denman
11-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Why not just set your Tender up so that you can plug it into the power port in the top trunk? :dontknow:
Of course; that wouldn't solve an inability to raise the seat for re-fueling... :shocked: :D

Pirate looks at --
11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Why not just set your Tender up so that you can plug it into the power port in the top trunk? :dontknow:
Of course; that wouldn't solve an inability to raise the seat for re-fueling... :shocked: :D

I had this happen to me on an 800 mile ride, panicked a bit but got it open to refuel. I posted on this site and got the advice to just push down on the seat as you turn the key. Worked beautifully. I then went to the dealer and they adjusted the latch mechanism and all is good now.

jthornton
11-19-2013, 12:09 PM

The latch should be plenty warmed up by the time you get to the gas station...

JT

Magdave
11-19-2013, 12:15 PM
I have had the unit to my tech numerous times to have this fixed, but it looks like I still have a problem. Any ideas?:banghead:
I had to adjust my latch pin to get it so I did not have to slam it to lock. If you sit the seat on the latch and look through the crack you can see if the pin is centered or not. Mine wasn't so closing it caused too much tension at an angle on the latch. I can drop the seat and it locks now...and unlocks easier :thumbup: I also use di-electric grease on the latch and pin.