PDA

View Full Version : What Helmet Color should I get?

MarcFTL
11-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Happy almost Turkey Day to all!

It seems I can make a corporate decision in a split second but deciding what color Helmet to get, I throw my hands up in the air.

I have to get a new Helmet and have decided on a Schuberth C3 Pro. I have an older C3 that has seen better times and has been modified by J&M for their Wired Headset with holes drilled in the Helmet for that purpose. If I take out the wired headset I end up with holes and stuff.

Now that BRP has installed a new Bluetooth System in my 2010 RT-S, It gives me a great excuse to get a new Helmet!

The Helmet is available in Gloss Black, Matte Black, Silver, White and a Hi-Viz Yellow.

(http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/60/2013-schuberth-c3-pro-helmet-gloss-black.jpg)

I currently have a white one and it looks like crap after 3 years of scratches and scrapes. I guess any light colored Helmet could end up the same.

I tend to either go with the Matte Black or the Hi-Viz Yellow but would like others to throw their $.02 Cents in.

BTW, I have a Black 2010 RT-S but matching the Helmet Color to the Bike is not the issue.

So what color would you choose?

Thanks

Marc

Cruzr Joe
11-16-2013, 04:35 PM
P I N K Sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

SpydermanCT
11-16-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm partial to black...... And it looks good with my black 2010 RTS :doorag:

MarcFTL
11-16-2013, 04:42 PM
P I N K Sorry but you left yourself wide open for that one. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Hiya!

Yep I sure did!

Thanks!

Cruzr Joe
11-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Hiya!

Yep I sure did!

Thanks!

Neutral colors seem to weather better.

Cruzr Joe

Highwayman2013
11-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi-Viz Yellow. I bought a Scorpion this year black and yellow.http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-1100-sixty-six-neon-helmet

Indyron
11-16-2013, 04:55 PM
If you don't want hi viz, white is the safest by far.

MarcFTL
11-16-2013, 04:58 PM
If you don't want hi viz, white is the safest by far.

I do like the Yellow Hi-Viz

Jeriatric
11-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Then, when it has finished its useful life protecting your noggin, in it's second life it could be a 'giant catfish' bobber :dontknow:

MarcFTL
11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Then, when it has finished its useful life protecting your noggin, in it's second life it could be a 'giant catfish' bobber :dontknow:

Great Idea!

I only have a few left in my Tackle-box!

Thanks

MikeinGA
11-16-2013, 05:09 PM

It seems I can make a corporate decision in a split second but deciding what color Helmet to get, I throw my hands up in the air.

I have to get a new Helmet and have decided on a Schuberth C3 Pro. I have an older C3 that has seen better times and has been modified by J&M for their Wired Headset with holes drilled in the Helmet for that purpose. If I take out the wired headset I end up with holes and stuff.

Now that BRP has installed a new Bluetooth System in my 2010 RT-S, It gives me a great excuse to get a new Helmet!

The Helmet is available in Gloss Black, Matte Black, Silver, White and a Hi-Viz Yellow.

(http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/60/2013-schuberth-c3-pro-helmet-gloss-black.jpg)

I currently have a white one and it looks like crap after 3 years of scratches and scrapes. I guess any light colored Helmet could end up the same.

I tend to either go with the Matte Black or the Hi-Viz Yellow but would like others to throw their $.02 Cents in.

BTW, I have a Black 2010 RT-S but matching the Helmet Color to the Bike is not the issue.

Thanks

Marc

For the heat I like the Silver, White and a Hi-Viz Yellow. I use silver in Ga. for my mesh jacket and helmet, it help keep me cool and easy to see. That's IMHO.

Mike

Cavman
11-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Seeing that you live in FL, it gets hot like it does in GA during the summer, I would recommend a lighter color. Mine is yellow as you can see in my avatar photo. I like to be see by the motoring public.

Bob Denman
11-16-2013, 05:39 PM
:agree: Consider the Summertime heat; and you'll most likely want a lighter color! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-16-2013, 05:42 PM
You will get a lot of opinions as to what color is best. Here are mine:

:ani29:: If you are into high visibility--yellow is the way to go.

:ani29:: Another choice is what color coordinates with your riding gear/bike colors.

:ani29:: For hot weather riding, white seems to be the recommended color to reflect heat.

I have five helmets sitting around: One plain yellow and one Motorad (blk/yellow) combo, one black, one silver, and one red. This summer we used three of the five. The plain yellow and the red stayed on the shelf.

JKMSPYDER
11-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Since your RT is black, I would recommend the Hi-Viz Yellow so that cagers can see you. I have a black Shoei with Hi-Viz yellow stripes. I ride a yellow ST-S and wear a yellow Hi-Viz vest. It may look dorky, but I want cars to see me!!

Bob Denman
11-16-2013, 05:57 PM
...Unless you want to borrow one of Joe's PINK helmets... :roflblack:

Sarge707
11-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Yellow would Stand Out against the Black so you can keep making the easy corporate decisions!!! :yes:

Dan_Ashley
11-16-2013, 06:18 PM
24% fewer fatalities in New Zealand according to one study.
32% fewer fatalities in Europe according to another study.
both results for white helmets over any other color of helmet.

use plexus to polish it--keeps it nice for a long time.

replace the helmet every two years because the styrofoam in it gets old, brittle, and provides less protection.

RBS66
11-16-2013, 06:45 PM
My wife and I wear silver. Black gets to hot in summertime.

3 Wheel Addict
11-16-2013, 06:58 PM
My RT/S is yellow so it was a no brainer for me to get a yellow helmet. I went with this Nolan because it has their N-Com system built in that uses Bluetooth.

happyspyder2039
11-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Thanks

MarcMy vote is yellow....I have a scorpion exo 500 in yellow/black- Most people tell me that they see the helmet first before the viper red Spyder which is what I wanted.

NancysToy
11-16-2013, 07:45 PM
The hi-vis helmets (and jackets) are the only measures proven statistically to reduce motorcycle accidents. The hi-vis is a good choice in that respect, but even harder to keep clean than the white. If safety is your main concern, go hi-vis, if low maintenance is the focus, silver does pretty well, IMO.

SpyderAnn01
11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
White or silver both are cooler than black and they look good.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Here's a novel idea ( this will get me FLAMED for sure ) .....Just Paint it..............I've done this quite a few times with very good results......Durability-wise it's not as good as Factory finish......But as long as your not in the habit of kicking your Helmet around the parking lot ! ! ! ......Mike :thumbup:

scooterexpress
11-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Regardless of the color you choose just put a hot pink mohawk on it and you will be noticed:roflblack:

camper1
11-16-2013, 08:47 PM
My first helmet was white. Then a co-worker commented that he'd seen me out riding. He said I looked like a Q-tip....and I've never worn another white helmet.

Jeriatric
11-16-2013, 08:59 PM
My first helmet was white. Then a co-worker commented that he'd seen me out riding. He said I looked like a Q-tip....and I've never worn another white helmet.

:roflblack: :thumbup: That's funny

easysuper
11-16-2013, 09:26 PM
I know I'm going to get kicked to the curb for even saying this , but if someone can't see me on my bright yellow 13 RT-S a high viz helmet is not going to make a difference . I bought the Spyder because of the profile , I think when we start citing stats it is tied to 2 wheels and not the Spyders . Go ahead and start kicking , just my thoughts. BTW I've had my endorsement since 69 and was riding long before that and the only time I ever had a close call was because of me or the speed . That little Mach 3 was almost my nemesis on several occasions. Older and wiser .

rick_w
11-16-2013, 09:29 PM
I always wore black until about 10 years ago. My dad was following us up in Michigan on the hwy. When we pulled in to get gas somewhere he stated, someone is going to run over you some day with that black bike, black jacket and black helmet. I thought it was just because he couldn't see good, but then I really started looking at people and he was right.
I have tried to use Silver or Titanium or something with those colors mixed in since then. A lot cooler and people do tend to see you better. I even switched over to a titanium jacket, can not get myself to do any of the high visibility colors.
I have to say that the most popular color for the last couple of years is Matte Black.
Rick

MarcFTL
11-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded!

The decision is ........ Hi-Viz Yellow!

Thanks again!

Marc Schlesinger

jcthorne
11-17-2013, 07:20 AM
I am curious how you go about mounting the Bluetooth audio system in the Schuberth C3 Pro. My wife has one and there is no provision for placing speakers next to the ears, solid structural Styrofoam. Almost every helmet I have worked with had some open cavity next to the ear, but not the Schuberth. Its also why she is getting a new Arai, as the pressure on her ears has gotten to be just too uncomfortable when riding with her glasses. The C3 is a nice helmet but its not Snell rated and has a few quirks like the ear area. Some folks really like them.

CaptainSFC
11-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Black to match the bike

spyder3
11-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I have the C3 Pro in high Viz yellow. Great helmet and the high viz really does stand out. My gear is black(winter jacket black & hi viz yellow), my bike is white so i certainly wasn't trying to make fashion statement:roflblack:....Just want to be seen.

Bob Denman
11-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded!

The decision is ........ Hi-Viz Yellow!

Thanks again!

Marc Schlesinger
Marc,
:congrats:
Aesthetics taking a back seat to function... :clap: wear it in good health and happy miles!

wd5gnr
11-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Are you sure it was the helmet? I found this picture of you online:

Sorry, Camper. Just couldn't resist ;-)

flaggerphil
11-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Unless you're going to have your helmet custom painted, hi-Viz yellow is the way to go...as you seem to have decided.

:D

Bob Ledford
11-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi vis yaller

Dan_Ashley
11-17-2013, 07:11 PM
... , I think when we start citing stats it is tied to 2 wheels and not the Spyders .. .
You are right. But there are no studies, nor any meaningful statistics for three wheel motorcycles, and that is highly unlikely to change. Therefore, there is nothing else to go by except "common" sense. Since anecdotal information cannot be trusted to be representative of the universe of possibilities, I do not trust "common" sense either. Why these studies showed that white is better than any other color is beyond me. I read the studies; I understand how the conclusions were made; I do not understand the human perceptual apparatus that caused white to be more easily noticed than any other color. It seems to me that high-viz yellow you'll be better--but that is not what the studies concluded. I choose to wear reflective white. Perhaps I am more risk adverse than others. Each person needs to decide what is right for themselves. My only desire is to make sure people are offered as much knowledge as exists. What everyone chooses to do with that info is their business. Riding motorcycles is not about safety. If you want to be safe, then stay in a cage. Riding motorcycles is about managing risk.

camper1
11-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Are you sure it was the helmet? I found this picture of you online:

Sorry, Camper. Just couldn't resist ;-)

LOL! You found my picture from 2000. I was a little thinner then. 13 years later and I've never looked at another white helmet.

Benggolf
11-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Personally, I would go with a white but since my STS is Circuit Yellow ... Hi viz yellow would be my second choice.

belowme29
11-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Since your RT is black, I would recommend the Hi-Viz Yellow so that cagers can see you. I have a black Shoei with Hi-Viz yellow stripes. I ride a yellow ST-S and wear a yellow Hi-Viz vest. It may look dorky, but I want cars to see me!!

JKM - I hate to point out something obvious - but I think that the cagers see the color of your trike before they see what you are wearing. I speak from experience as I wear a black helmet, grey textile jacket and you can see the color of my spyder on the avatar. :doorag:

NancysToy
11-17-2013, 10:28 PM
JKM - I hate to point out something obvious - but I think that the cagers see the color of your trike before they see what you are wearing. I speak from experience as I wear a black helmet, grey textile jacket and you can see the color of my spyder on the avatar. :doorag:
The problem is that they are generally looking higher than the vehicle...especially a low profile vehicle like the Spyder. That is why hi-vis colors (apparently including white in Great Britain), worn on body parts that are higher than the motorcycle and move in a different direction, namely the head and to a lesser extent the arms and torso, have been shown to reduce the accident rate. Anecdotal experience of a rider is unfortunately not proof I prefer to rely on the statistics theat have shown a significant improvement from wearing the higher visibility colors. I do ride a colorful Spyder, however, and it makes me feel safer even if it cannot be proven.

Blue Star
11-17-2013, 11:42 PM

Thanks

Marc

I will be getting a Hi - Viz yellow for my next helmet. Better to be seen than to match my bike.

CurtG
11-18-2013, 03:11 PM
I went with hi-viz yellow for my Bell Revolver and recently added a Tourmaster coat in hi-viz yellow also. Linda has followed me in the cage and says that the helmet really helps, the jacket not so much as the RT covers most of the back. Some of my riding friend say the arm panels help from the side. I figure anything I can do to improve the chance I'll be seen is good,

Ride and ride safe,