PDA

View Full Version : RS wind deflectors issue

Tx web rider
11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm having an issue i purchased some RS wind deflectors and installed them :)

love them for cooler weather :)

but they are rubbing the paint off my panels :mad:

does anyone know of a means to keep this from eating the paint off my yellow panels :pray:

funon3
11-13-2013, 12:08 AM
I had the same problem when I installed them on my '09 GS. The only solution I came up with was to use a fairly coarse file and file down the areas that were rubbing. Required some trial and error until I finally got enough clearance so they didn't rub. I clamped them in a vice with a cloth to protect the finish and when they fit properly I just cleaned up and rounded the edges so they were smooth with a finer file.

teadave
11-13-2013, 06:29 AM
I had the same problem when I installed them on my '09 GS. The only solution I came up with was to use a fairly coarse file and file down the areas that were rubbing. Required some trial and error until I finally got enough clearance so they didn't rub. I clamped them in a vice with a cloth to protect the finish and when they fit properly I just cleaned up and rounded the edges so they were smooth with a finer file.

Same here, but I used a fine wheel on a bench grinder to remove the bulk of it and finished the edges with a file.

joet82
11-13-2013, 08:36 AM
either that, or you could buy some rubber tubing to protect against the scratching.

Tx web rider
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
thanks for the great ideas

lil rabbit
11-13-2013, 02:07 PM
I used rubber gasket material that is cloth impregnated and made shims for where the deflectors bolt onto the brackets. I glued them to the existing rubber with gorilla glue. Have no more issues with them rubbing the paint. You could also add rubber under the bracket where it bolts onto the tupperware. This will also raise the wind deflector up. My brother-in-law Hotglue did this to Flamingobabe 08 RS and it works, just have to make few shims and adjust as need. Hope this helps.

Roadkill
11-13-2013, 09:38 PM
+I simply call mine battle scars...

Ride on.
Roadkill