PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else do this?

SteveMac
11-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Sometimes (like tonight) when it is cold, damp, and dark...

I will just go out to the garage and start the trike and run it a while. Maybe a few little revs.

No, not for any mechanical or preventative maintenance reason...

I just do it so we can have a brief "man to machine" conversation.

Then, I sigh, shut the engine off and come back in the house. :doorag:

MrLooney
11-07-2013, 11:06 PM
If your Spyder is cold when you do this crazy thing of starting let run for a few revs of 30 seconds to a minute then shut if off is DISTROYING your Spyder!

All you are doing is warm up a few parts that will cool off and cause water to condense on those warmed up parts when it cools off. Whether its inside the motor (then into the oil) or in the exhause causing rust. We all know Oil and Water inside the crankcase reeks havoc on bearings. First of all the oil turn a milky gray to white and will eventually seize the bearings. Now your talking a major rebuild. $ $ $ $ $

SteveMac
11-07-2013, 11:11 PM
If your Spyder is cold when you do this crazy thing of starting let run for a few revs of 30 seconds to a minute then shut if off is DISTROYING your Spyder!

All you are doing is warm up a few parts that will cool off and cause water to condense on those warmed up parts when it cools off. Whether its inside the motor (then into the oil) or in the exhause causing rust. We all know Oil and Water inside the crankcase reeks havoc on bearings. First of all the oil turn a milky gray to white and will eventually seize the bearings. Now your talking a major rebuild. $ $ $ $ $

Relax a bit there Looney.

First, I don't have a Spyder.
Second, it isn't a regular occurrence, and who said 30 seconds?

Just a wistful post on a lazy evening. Waxing poetic about my ride. :coffee:

cuznjohn
11-07-2013, 11:24 PM
you will build moisture in the oil if you really don't take it for a long ride. i used to start my bike during the winter but all my friends tols me i was nuts doing it so i just stopped doing it. but hey it's up to you

SteveMac
11-07-2013, 11:33 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:

Oh good Lord.

Never mind. You guys are wound WAY too tightly.

You've entirely missed the point. And the moment is lost on you.

Please put me on both of your ignore lists, I'd hate to cause you all this distress! :rolleyes:

Rcspyder12
11-07-2013, 11:53 PM
I get it:yes:

SteveMac
11-07-2013, 11:53 PM

SteveMac
11-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Plus you are causing your battery to deplete and using precious fuel and you could be walking the dog and if you don't have a dog you could be out buying a dog and the dog might bite you and then you might bite the dog and get a bad infection and then find out you are allergic to penicillin and then

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Thank you Roger! :thumbup::doorag:

papoandma
11-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Steve, do you have any more good thoughts.:roflblack::roflblack:

SteveMac
11-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Steve, do you have any more good thoughts.:roflblack::roflblack:

NOOOOOOOO!!!
LOL. No more thoughts from me tonight. Just this!

RTVIPER
11-08-2013, 12:48 AM

I will just go out to the garage and start the trike and run it a while. Maybe a few little revs.

come to the Southwest :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Can ride all year long :yes::yes::yes::yes: No Winterizing :gaah::gaah::gaah: Might help with the withdraws:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

rojodawg
11-08-2013, 01:29 AM

I luv this cartoon. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Steve, only on spyderlovers can a man and his machine be so misunderstood. You might have gotten a little too deep for this crowd. :chat:

It's past midnight, but I just went outside, started my spyder, and let her run for 30 seconds in a salute to you! Dream on brother, there are those of us who understand. :2thumbs:

BTW, where can I buy some of that poet wax?? :doorag:

Chupaca
11-08-2013, 01:34 AM
a big treadmill and a projection screen...now fire it up and go for that ryde...feel for you guys all I need to do is push two buttons and we're off...1) the starter button..2) the garage door opener button....hope you have a mild and short winter..!! :2thumbs:

TicketBait
11-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Thank you for your thoughts Steve, I laughed reading how this thread was going and Roger made it even better :roflblack: good night all, and don't let the bed bugs bite!

hotglue
11-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Steve.... I don't blame ya.... there is nothing like going out..sitting on yer bike and making Vrooom Vroooom noises. !!!!!! We don't actually get Winter here.... I think Winter is scheduled for Feb 15th this year... For the 1st time in a while, I actually have All of my bikes in running order...now I just have to split up time between them to keep them that way!!!! ... well except for FB's spyder.... we will be taking it back to the shop next week.... 300 miles one way.....Hope they find a fix! gettin' pretty old....

Mo Lee
11-08-2013, 04:53 AM
Wow! what is this site coming to, so many assumptions. I'll start my bikes any time I want for however long I want, but then again I don't have to rely on a 200 dollar an hour mechanic that probably don't know what he is doing anyway. I'm pretty sure Steve is a very competent mechanic as well!

ThreeWheels
11-08-2013, 05:00 AM

Oh good Lord.

Please put me on both of your ignore lists, I'd hate to cause you all this distress! :rolleyes:

I am constantly amazed how power and majesty are always attacked by "snipers".
These are people who have an attitude "I want to attack someone. Now where is a target that I can try to bring down"

rc51ny
11-08-2013, 06:02 AM
I go out into my garage and sit on my bikes all the time! What's wrong with that? And yes--I start them up---let them run--play with the throttle---hey it's a LONG, DARK, COLD winter here in Western New York!!! I say GO FOR IT!!! LOL :yes:

cuznjohn
11-08-2013, 06:23 AM
i am lost on this post. two of us read the post and tried to help with what we thought was good advice and we are told that we should put you on our ignore lists. i even said it's up to you, so where did i misunderstand what you were trying to say. please enlighten me???

PistonBlown
11-08-2013, 06:49 AM
I get what you mean, but I always find I end up going for a ride round the block that ends up getting longer and longer:-) Don't matter if it's cold, damp and dark. In fact some of best rides are when it's like that and then the moon comes out and you have the roads to yourself.

murphybrown
11-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Oh good Lord.

:bowdown::bowdown::yes::yes::thumbup::thumbup:

owens9fingers
11-08-2013, 07:17 AM

Steve ......... keep those thoughts coming, but you need a different picture here. You know one that shows a big pot being stirred !!! :roflblack: Don't worry ..... we understand you !! ;)

Cuban Spyder
11-08-2013, 07:32 AM
:popcorn:

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Steve,
:D You rock!! :2thumbs:

Guys... don't worry about his bike; it's a Honda... :shocked:

bullant12
11-08-2013, 08:03 AM

Sorry, MrLoony and cuznjohn... But I believe that Steve was having a "Rattigan Roger" philosophical moment.

No :spyder2: or any other bikes were harmed during this moment of zen!

I know Steve... he wouldn't harm an HD if it came up to attack him!

WhiteFang
11-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Ya -- I do it (regardless of the tightly wound replies) -- but I usually end up taking it out for a short spin after standing there watching it idle -- cold or not -- my bad!!

spyder3
11-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Stevie, your such a trouble maker:roflblack:

MarkLawson
11-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Steve,
:D You rock!! :2thumbs:

Guys... don't worry about his bike; it's a Honda... :shocked:

It's not just a Honda, it's a GOLDWING!

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 08:15 AM
"Stevie, your such a trouble makerhttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif"

...And we're all such great trouble-finders!! :D :thumbup: :ohyea::ohyea::yes:

Mets79ST2013
11-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Maybe you need a remote starter on the :spyder2:....just thinking out side the box here...maybe I should get it...lol

SteveMac
11-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Sorry, MrLoony and cuznjohn... But I believe that Steve was having a "Rattigan Roger" philosophical moment.

No :spyder2: or any other bikes were harmed during this moment of zen!

I know Steve... he wouldn't harm an HD if it came up to attack him!

But apparently,,, I am not as good at this as Roger!!!nojoke

bullant12
11-08-2013, 08:51 AM
But apparently,,, I am not as good at this as Roger!!!nojoke

I would not say that... I would say however that we have members that are good athletes... they jump into conclusions very quickly!:roflblack:

SteveMac
11-08-2013, 08:55 AM
i am lost on this post. two of us read the post and tried to help with what we thought was good advice and we are told that we should put you on our ignore lists. i even said it's up to you, so where did i misunderstand what you were trying to say. please enlighten me???

John
See post 32 above. The quote and reply says it all.

And, I wasn't being literal when I said to "put me on ignore". I was trying to illustrate the absurd by being more absurd.

No harm. It was just supposed to be a fun, wistful post on a slow night at home. But it kinda loses the charm when it has to be explained.

But seriously bro,, RELAX! Life is too short. :cheers:

bullant12
11-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Steve people expect you to be accurate, factual and right on the money.

Me, I've spent three years here in a spectacularly successful effort of constantly lowering expectations.

I had you guys reversed... Roger being accurate and Steve having lower expectations.

Now I have to revise my opinions based on these statements!:banghead:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

Netminder
11-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I get it:yes:
Me too SteveMac!:thumbup::thumbup: Some People are definitely wound up here! Relax, breath in, now out!:ohyea:

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Maybe a Jousting Tournament with the Spyders would burn off some of the excess hormones that are floating around in here... :shocked:

BajaRon
11-08-2013, 09:39 AM
This is a very conflicted post.

I think everyone understands that you love your ride and that your original post was a wistful recounting of your 'Relationship' with your Honda. You were not looking for validation, you were just sharing.

It is BECAUSE this is clearly understood that some decided to warn you, and others, that this practice is not good for your beloved Goldwing, Spyder, whatever. Reality can be a cruel thing.

I almost posted similar remarks but I had a feeling that they would not be well received.

They say that 85% of engine wear occurs at cold start-up.

Starting a cold engine and not running it to full operating temperature increases moisture and fuel contamination in the oil.

You're also draining the battery as you're not giving the charging system time to recover the amps used in start-up.

How big a deal this is in the overall scope of things only you can decide. Not trying to rain on your parade, most of us care greatly for our favorite vehicle so we understand.

Dan McNally
11-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I fully understand your original post, Steve . . . late night occasionally finds me in the garage, pondering the next step . . . do I need some particular farkle? How can I get more airflow under the Tupperware? Most recently, it has had to do with visualizing how to create a set of muffs that won't interfere with any of the controls. I plan to make them out of an old wetsuit that hasn't been SCUBA diving in over 20 years! But sometimes, it is just to sit there and think about the next ride . . .

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 10:45 AM
! But sometimes, it is just to sit there and think about the next ride . . .
:agree: :2thumbs::clap::2thumbs:

grumpybob
11-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Moved the spyder to the left stall yesterday. moved the Yamaha(snowmobile) to the right of the spyder. left stall is for inactive machines. Now I go out and dream about the upcoming sled season. But if it makes you guys/gals happy go for it! better than sitting on the couch complaining. Oh, I got what your meaning was.

SteveMac
11-08-2013, 12:09 PM

I think everyone understands that you love your ride and that your original post was a wistful recounting of your 'Relationship' with your Honda. You were not looking for validation, you were just sharing.

It is BECAUSE this is clearly understood that some decided to warn you, and others, that this practice is not good for your beloved Goldwing, Spyder, whatever. Reality can be a cruel thing.

I almost posted similar remarks but I had a feeling that they would not be well received.

Starting a cold engine and not running it to full operating temperature increases moisture and fuel contamination in the oil.

You're also draining the battery as you're not giving the charging system time to recover the amps used in start-up.

How big a deal this is in the overall scope of things only you can decide. Not trying to rain on your parade, most of us care greatly for our favorite vehicle so we understand.

Ron

First, you know I think the world of ya! :thumbup:
But, having said that, this reminds me (for some funny reason) of that scene in Braveheart where William Wallace sees Robert The Bruce unmasked! I am feeling beaten and bloody and abandoned. JOKING!

OK. Here is the secret. I didn't even actually start the Wing last night. I did start it several days ago and ran it quite a while. I didn't ride because I had too much stuff sitting around it and I couldn't get it out of the garage easily.

And that that single start and run a few days ago was the first and only time in the past couple of weeks. So I think the risk of damage is slight to non existent. It is also on a maintainer, so she is charged and ready to go.

Do I think damage could be caused by frequently starting and running for a short time? Sure. But again folks are taking the post "literally" and that was not my intent.

I will work harder to make sure that everyone knows the context of future poetic musings. Maybe a disclaimer in my sig line!

Ron, I am smiling as I type this, so take the following pic as a sign of endearment!!!

Oh no,,, not you too!!!

Sarge707
11-08-2013, 12:27 PM
You Guys AND Girls (Least I get ignored):yikes: should purchase a Thermal Suiit from BajaRon ( Our Friendly vendor) and Ride ALL winter!!!

Even after the Blizzard last year I was back up Zooming around the Interstates for a Few afternoons each week- Really makes the winter go by Much faster??nojoke Get up on the Highway and Dodge "Texters?":roflblack:

AZLife
11-08-2013, 12:28 PM
come to the Southwest :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Can ride all year long :yes::yes::yes::yes: No Winterizing :gaah::gaah::gaah: Might help with the withdraws:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

360 days a year if you so desire. In fact, the 250 mile ride this Sunday to Aguila is a perfect example, AZViper. That should be fun. See you then.

Dan McNally
11-08-2013, 12:35 PM
You Guys AND Girls (Least I get ignored):yikes: should purchase a Thermal Suiit from BajaRon ( Our Friendly vendor) and Ride ALL winter!!!

Even after the Blizzard last year I was back up Zooming around the Interstates for a Few afternoons each week- Really makes the winter go by Much faster??nojoke Get up on the Highway and Dodge "Texters?":roflblack:

:agree: . . . I got a Firstgear Thermal Suit from Ron this year! I bought it big enough that I can wear my summer riding gear under it . . . just in case . . .

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 12:37 PM
:shocked: No Spyders Were Harmed During The Creation Of This Thread... :shocked:

Jeriatric
11-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Only in my dreams! :joke:

Posting otherwise might upset someone nojoke

:doorag:

Knarfoh
11-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I agree --- it's his Spyder. He can do whatever he wants.

When I see a Spyder all decked out with some gawd awful decals that make it look like s**t... do I say anything? NO !

When I see some of the ridiculous MODS that make it look like someone hung too many ornaments on a Christmas tree... do I say anything? NO !

When I hear someone likes to go into their garage and run the engine of their Spyder because the purr makes them happy... do I say anything? NO !

It really isn't anyone's business but their own!

SPECIAL NOTE: Short trips of less than 10 minutes can be particularly hard on a car, resulting in excessive wear and tear. During a short trip, your car's engine never has a chance to reach its full operating temperature.

So what? Here's why it matters: One of the byproducts of engine combustion is water. When an engine reaches its operating temperature that water turns to vapor and is expunged, either out the tailpipe or the crankcase ventilation system. On a short trip, however, that water stays inside your car's engine and exhaust. Unfortunately, water is one of only three ingredients necessary to make rust (you've already got the other two, oxygen and metal), and rust kills. Look at any of my brother's cars.

A further complication of condensation and water is that it dilutes your oil, which then does a poorer job of lubricating the engine. If you can't avoid taking lots of short trips, we recommend you change your oil frequently, such as every 2,000-3,000 miles. http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&story=car-talk-tips&subject=more

bullant12
11-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Well Steve...

It's bad enough that we can get into endless debates: oil, fuel octane, maintenace, health plans...

But on when to start up a machine and what to do?!?! Wow... the world amazes me everyday!

Keep up the good work by stiring the pot, Brother!

And please don't go on standby mode like MouthPiece did...

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:

SteveMac
11-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Well Steve...

It's bad enough that we can get into endless debates: oil, fuel octane, maintenace, health plans...

But on when to start up a machine and what to do?!?! Wow... the world amazes me everyday!

Keep up the good work by stiring the pot, Brother!

And please don't go on standby mode like MouthPiece did...

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:

Nah Erick. No way that would happen.

I find this mildly amusing and I see it somewhat in dumbfounded awe, but not irritating or upsetting in any way. Just amazed at how serious some folks are. Partly due to the "online factor" but unfortunately it may be in part due to heightened tensions on the forum lately.

Fortunately, I have no dog in that hunt. But I think this post, among others, suffers due to the current climate here. But it's all good!

I choose to to be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

rojodawg
11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
:shocked: No Spyders Were Harmed During The Creation Of This Thread... :shocked:

Not so fast, Bob. We can't just assume that's true. Steve needs our help. :yikes:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mJ4lc_Q9Q6k/S2xt368DduI/AAAAAAAAlcQ/SJltbEWOJ40/s1600/quickdraw15.jpg

Steve, back slowly out of the garage......and don't reach for that kill switch until I say OK. :roflblack::roflblack::trike:

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gifBut he's on a Triked GoldWing

That's right; our very own Steve is a... 78903

bullant12
11-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Wing nut? Not sure about the wing...
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

SteveMac
11-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Steve, you do know that people from Honda monitor this site and mark down those who they feel unworthy of a warranty.

Whew... Good thing mine is a 2003 then! Because I am NOT worthy! :shocked:

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0

rojodawg
11-08-2013, 01:58 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gifBut he's on a Triked GoldWing

That's right; our very own Steve is a... 78903

Bob, quit trying to confuse members of this here forum with facts......last warning or I'm taking you down. :yikes:

http://funnyanimalphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/donkey_sheriff.jpg?bd03d3

And don't even think about calling me a horse's :cus:

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 02:03 PM
:shocked: Yessir!! :shocked:

spyder3
11-08-2013, 02:38 PM
I hope steve finds something better to do tonight.......:roflblack:

SteveMac
11-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I hope steve finds something better to do tonight.......:roflblack:

You can Bet On It !!!!

ARtraveler
11-08-2013, 03:00 PM
A great thread. :2thumbs: A few observations.

:ani29:: Some of us are wound pretty tight

:ani29:: I fell into the category of thinking what it meant, rather than reading what was posted.
You almost got my advice to remember what "Scotty said".

:ani29:: How advice is given can make a big difference in how it is taken.

:ani29:: It took a few posts before the "light went on" for me. I am glad I took my time. Am trying to do that these days.

Let's enjoy the "gotcha", it was a good one. Now, what can I do for April Fools? I had a pretty good one last year. :roflblack:

Magdave
11-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Oh good Lord.

:roflblack::yes::roflblack::yes::roflblack::yes:

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Maybe if BRP sees this; they'll realize how jumpy we're all getting while waiting for the 2014s... :shocked:

Dan McNally
11-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Maybe if BRP sees this; they'll realize how jumpy we're all getting while waiting for the 2014s... :shocked:

The only thing I'm jumpy about is if the weather for the 16th is going to be good or not . . . plan to do a 150 mile with ten other :spyder2:s , from Sykesville MD, up into Pennsylvania and back! . . . actually a 275 mile for me, because I live over 60 miles from the meet up location . . . :yes:

cuznjohn
11-08-2013, 04:01 PM
weird or not but i do start my snow blower in the summer

Blue Star
11-08-2013, 04:15 PM

So this got me to thinking. I do not want to wear out my engine prematurely, so how do I warm my engine before I start it up?

ARtraveler
11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
So this got me to thinking. I do not want to wear out my engine prematurely, so how do I warm my engine before I start it up?

I am thinking that start up and then driving off is not the culprit here. Any ryde that gets the motor up to full operating temperature is good. Since I am near highway with hills, it does not take long for my :spyder2: to reach operating temperature.

Starting the :spyder2: in the garage and running it for five minutes or so is the culprit that most are referring to.

bruiser
11-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Does this mean I can't go and start my chainsaw, weedeater, lawn mower, Massey 8600, Cessna 421...

:joke:

rojodawg
11-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Does this mean I can't go and start my chainsaw, weedeater, lawn mower, Massey 8600, Cessna 421...

:joke:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/thanksgiving/eat-corn.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/thanksgiving/eat-corn.gif

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=bruiser;718488]Does this mean I can't go and start my chainsaw, weedeater, lawn mower, Massey 8600, Cessna 421...
:lecturef_smilie: If you do; it had better not be before 10:00am if it's the weekend!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_12.gif

flaggerphil
11-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Geeze...

I used to do it when I lived in the St Louis area and owned my Yamaha V-Star 1300T. If it was too cold to ride for more than a couple of weeks, I'd sometimes go out in the garage and start it for just awhile. Just to sit on it and feel it running and hope it would warm up enough soon to go out. Fortunately for me, I guess, it never exploded and destroyed my neighborhood while I was doing it.

I don't do it with my Spyder, but that's mostly because I live in Florida now...

Bob Denman
11-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Uhhhhh.. you can't! :shocked:

Unless you were to find a way to spin the oil pump over, and build up pressure in the system before thumbing the start button...
I think! :dontknow:

ARtraveler
11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=bruiser;718488]Does this mean I can't go and start my chainsaw, weedeater, lawn mower, Massey 8600, Cessna 421...

Oooooooops. I think I said to much again. Where is Scotty when we need him. :thumbup:

jerpinoy
11-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Now we see what you started? We are like turtle, to see whats out there, the turtle need to stick its head out and take all changes of getting its head smack.:roflblack:

bruiser
11-08-2013, 06:58 PM
:lecturef_smilie: If you do; it had better not be before 10:00am if it's the weekend!!

We don't have that law down here. But I wish we did. My neighbor likes to start on his yard work at 0700. That's 7:00 am for you civilians. Oh yeah, I was just joking about the Cessna. I don't have one. Can't afford one. But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

Yazz
11-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Ahh, I so understand.

It's all good......

Dan McNally
11-08-2013, 11:04 PM

A hair dryer? . . . or :bbq:

yanksskins
11-08-2013, 11:11 PM
her web site.

http://www.refrigiwear.com/shop-products

I bought my here with this on like riding cooler weather

PistonBlown
11-08-2013, 11:56 PM

I remember seeing in Siberia they lit fires under the engine to defrost them so I suppose that's always an option:-)

reggystan
11-09-2013, 12:24 AM
How could you not love hearing that 1800 fire up and sing!! One of the best sounds when it starts and revs! It's silky smooth! Yeah I get it, thought I was the only one! LOL. Enjoy it and do it often!:thumbup:

Michael211_2000
11-09-2013, 12:48 AM
The OP wasn't asking for advise ya'll. :gaah:

I get it, it's called a "mechamorphisis" - the bonding of man (or woman) to machine, the sense of being more than either alone when you're together. I feel it with all my vehicles, and their appearance and condition is envied by many as a result. It's what drives me to wash and wax almost to obsession, to do all my own maintenance so I know it's done right, to take a soft damp cloth out and carefully wipe the Spyder down whenever I see any dust anywhere on it (dang but the inside of the front wheels and the entire rear wheel are tough to keep clean I swear!).

The night I got my Spyder home on a trailer I went out with a light and just sat on it for about an hour still sitting on and strapped to the trailer in my driveway (like a spider in the middle of its web). :ani29:

It's not just a machine anymore it's... more. We compliment each other. You either get it, or you don't.

Yeah I'm crazy so sue me. :D

- Michael

rcdurango
11-09-2013, 08:32 AM
I start it up, rev the motor, turn it off, turn it back on, rev the motor, drive it around in the garage, stop, backup, and if I blow it up I go buy another one! :thumbup: Life is short and why not do what makes you happy. One vote for the man cave and the silly things we do. Love you Bro! Do what makes you happy.

Bob Denman
11-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Roger,
I think that your pain meds might need a bit of "tweaking"... :shocked: :roflblack:

Jim,
No laws up here; just neighbors with deer rifles, and an overwhelming desire to sight them in on a moment's notice! :yikes:

Dan_Ashley
11-09-2013, 09:10 PM

...but I usually don't start it up. I just sit on it and make motor noises like a seven year old kid. You know, "Rrruuunnnnn...uuuuunnnnn....whuuuuuuuurrrrrr."

C3517C
11-09-2013, 11:17 PM
...but I usually don't start it up. I just sit on it and make motor noises like a seven year old kid. You know, "Rrruuunnnnn...uuuuunnnnn....whuuuuuuuurrrrrr."

Dan, are you crazy ???!!! Don't you realize you are starting a chain of serious consequences when you do this ? They are, but not limited to :

1.Premature wearing on all of the shocks, as fluid is broken down by being forced through small holes, and coils are being senselessly compressed, causing irreversible metal fatigue.
2.Destruction of tire integrity, as your body weight is being forced downward by gravity. This creates un unequal distribution of force, causing flatness on the bottom of the tires, while the rest of the tire remains round.
3.Crushing of the seat. Your seat contains foam which has millions of small air pockets. These pockets are destroyed each time weight is applied, and bounce back when weight is removed. However, at a cellular level, these pockets are incapable of returning to 100 % of their original shape each and every time.
I hope you feel good about yourself. Why don't you just give your spyder to a proper home rather than ruining it with your childish antics.

Netminder
11-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Now at least we're having some fun with this, which I think was SteveMac's original intention!:joke::joke:

Dan McNally
11-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Roger,
I think that your pain meds might need a bit of "tweaking"... :shocked: :roflblack: . . .

And here I was, thinking that he must have great meds and wondering how could get the same ones . . . :roflblack:

SteveMac
11-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Now at least we're having some fun with this, which I think was SteveMac's original intention!:joke::joke:

I love the fact that I get to use the BINGO logo twice in one thread!

Bob Denman
11-10-2013, 02:24 PM
And here I was, thinking that he must have great meds and wondering how could get the same ones . . . :roflblack:
I think that it requires a serious re-discovery of gravity, at an inopportune time... :shocked:

Dan_Ashley
11-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Dan, are you crazy ???!!! Don't you realize you are starting a chain of serious consequences when you do this ? They are, but not limited to :

1.Premature wearing on all of the shocks, as fluid is broken down by being forced through small holes, and coils are being senselessly compressed, causing irreversible metal fatigue.
2.Destruction of tire integrity, as your body weight is being forced downward by gravity. This creates un unequal distribution of force, causing flatness on the bottom of the tires, while the rest of the tire remains round.
3.Crushing of the seat. Your seat contains foam which has millions of small air pockets. These pockets are destroyed each time weight is applied, and bounce back when weight is removed. However, at a cellular level, these pockets are incapable of returning to 100 % of their original shape each and every time.
I hope you feel good about yourself. Why don't you just give your spyder to a proper home rather than ruining it with your childish antics.

i know....but I can't help it...I'm OCD Spyder-nut.

Kmort44
11-10-2013, 05:19 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm confused with this picture, everyone is posting that water will destroy your engine if you don't warm it up fully but this picture of a plane on fire has to be fully warmed up but I still think the water in the engine would be a bad thing. Is that your point?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Keep posting you'll catch up with the "post-a-matics":banghead:

Did someone say "apple pie"

Hi Connie.

This post could have been 4 different post but I'm not an over achiever.:clap:

Dan_Ashley
11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm confused with this picture, everyone is posting that water will destroy your engine if you don't warm it up fully but this picture of a plane on fire has to be fully warmed up but I still think the water in the engine would be a bad thing. Is that your point?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Keep posting you'll catch up with the "post-a-matics":banghead:

Did someone say "apple pie"

Hi Connie.

This post could have been 4 different post but I'm not an over achiever.:clap:

Water won't destroy the engine. Water is a good thing. I even put it into the engine. The manufacturer even put a tank in the right front to hold water. It is up near the frunk, on the right. Some people use water mixed with other chemicals in that tank. I do too.

I also use water when I wash the engine. You DO wash your engine, don't you. If you don't, you should. Otherwise the nanny can slap you with a dirty engine limp mode. Never happened to me--but to others I know. It was NOT pretty. nojoke

Mo Lee
11-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Water won't destroy the engine. Water is a good thing. I even put it into the engine. The manufacturer even put a tank in the right front to hold water. It is up near the frunk, on the right. Some people use water mixed with other chemicals in that tank. I do too.

I also use water when I wash the engine. You DO wash your engine, don't you. If you don't, you should. Otherwise the nanny can slap you with a dirty engine limp mode. Never happened to me--but to others I know. It was NOT pretty. nojoke
I agree water is good, after all that is the main fault with HD they don't have water in their engine! I guess I am wrong, but I always have to start a bike up for a short period of time when I need to move it to get another bike out of the shop to ride. I just don't see how I would ever get anything done if every time I start an engine I took it for a 5 mile ride.

Bob Denman
11-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Water is good...
If it's ice, and is swimming in Scotch! ;)

bullant12
11-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Is it too late in the thread to say:

"Give the engine a polar bear hug?"

bullant12
11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Water is good...
If it's ice, and is swimming in Scotch! ;)

In water there are bacteria... Also, fish make love and crap in water (likely were the bacteria comes from)!

Alcohol is clean, it kills bacteria and make fish more drunk to have more lovemaking and defficate in it!

rpatsh
11-12-2013, 11:39 AM
NOOOOOOOO!!!

That's gonna leave a mark!!
LOL

Bob Denman
11-12-2013, 11:50 AM
In water there are bacteria... Also, fish make love and crap in water (likely were the bacteria comes from)!

Alcohol is clean, it kills bacteria and make fish more drunk to have more lovemaking and defficate in it!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_20_7.gif

TexAmRider
11-12-2013, 12:01 PM

I will sometimes go out and uncover my Spyder, and look at it for a while. Might even dust it off a bit. My Honda VTX stays on my Patio and I see it everytime I let the dogs out in the back yard.

I know we have better weather out here in west texas, but there are occassions when I can't ride as I would like to, and I sure miss my bike. :sour:

I did get to take my Spyder out Sunday Evening for a spin and a wash. Rode a while then put in back in the garage and covered it again. Helps a little with the Jitters. :)

Bob Denman
11-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Parked
Motorcycle
Syndrome

can be a real bugger; can't it? :shocked: