PDA

View Full Version : UP Ride Details Aug. 1-3

dltang
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Here is the attachment of the flyer for the UP ride on Aug. 1-3 for anyone that is interested. I am getting more inquiries as we get closer so I thought I would repost this. Let me know if you need more info.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/tYGMZ3-1.jpg

scottmanesis
07-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Stinks that there is no way to get a passport before then.........I remember when we could just go to Canada with a drivers license...now they just want to make some bucks and have you jump through hoops...Maybe if I just answer all the questions at the border as "Aye!" when I cross or I could tell them I am a Native Indian from the Friggarwie tribe, you know "We're the Friggarwie?"

NancysToy
07-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Stinks that there is no way to get a passport before then.........I remember when we could just go to Canada with a drivers license...now they just want to make some bucks and have you jump through hoops...Maybe if I just answer all the questions at the border as "Aye!" when I cross or I could tell them I am a Native Indian from the Friggarwie tribe, you know "We're the Friggarwie?"
You can still get across with a driver's license and a certified copy of you birth certificate. Land crossings only, no airline flights.
-Scotty

dltang
07-16-2008, 07:39 AM

Scott, are you coming from Canada? We are not going into Canada if you are from the states. We are just riding the UP of Michigan. Where are you from?

scottmanesis
07-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh Duh, Geography is not my strong suit. I was looking at the map and did not recognize ANYPLACE on it so I assumed it was Canada Due to the Montreal River Harbour shown on the northern part of the route. I am in Charlotte, NC.

scottmanesis
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
You can still get across with a driver's license and a certified copy of you birth certificate. Land crossings only, no airline flights.
-Scotty

Good to know... I want to eventually ride up to Alaska and thought I would need to get a passport for it.

dltang
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Scott, they now have something called a Passcard. It is less expensive and less of a hassle to get than a passport. It is for getting into Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, things like that. Where you may need more than a drivers license but don't have a passport. Here is the link http://www.uspasscard.com/

scottmanesis
07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks DLTang, I will look into it!:thumbup:

NancysToy
07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Good to know... I want to eventually ride up to Alaska and thought I would need to get a passport for it.

Eventually, you will. They have delayed the requirement for a while.

Scott, they now have something called a Passcard. It is less expensive and less of a hassle to get than a passport. It is for getting into Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, things like that. Where you may need more than a drivers license but don't have a passport. Here is the link http://www.uspasscard.com/
We have considered one of those, but the last I knew thay had not actually issued any yet, just accepted applications. If Michigan would vote to join the enhanced driver's license thing, our driver's licenses alone would suffice. More legislative gridlock.
-Scotty

scottmanesis
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Isn't that always the way it is? I see good and bad points on both sides. I personally am not so cool with HAVING to Carry a RFID chip on my person so that big brother can scan my every move, doesn't sound like freedom to me...but that is just me.....I do see the benefits as well.

"Those who would give up their freedom for temporary security deserve neither"~ Benjamin Franklin