PDA

View Full Version : True motorcycle road race

Barlock
11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Each lap is 37.75 miles long with over 200 turns. And the record for a single lap is over 130 MPH.

There are straight sections where the bikes hit over 200 MPH -- You can actually read their speedometers.
It Is hard to imagine such riding speeds but they do it every year at the end of May and have been doing so since 1907.
There have been over 240 rider fatalities in the history of the event but it is bigger than ever today.
Two riders were killed during the 2012 events.

The helmet cam video over the last minute or so of the clip is spectacular.
This event makes car racers look like a bunch of wussies.
Even Sir Jackie Stewart is amazed by what he is saw (He is interviewed in the video).
BTW, former Formula One World Champion John Surtees won this event before he switched from motorcycles to race cars.
USAF Jet fighter pilots stationed in England, practiced "special weapons" delivery runs utilizing Electronic / Radar scoring equipment positioned on the Isle of Man. (Cold War Era).

http://vimeo.com/53551115[/I][/URL]

Oldmanzues
11-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for posting this. It was a dream of mine to actually watch this race in person, but will never happen now.
Way back when, I think you had to be able to do a"ton" to race. 100 MPH. Think about a M/C going bye your front door, two feet away at these speeds.
Or sitting along side the road.
I seem to remember (may be wrong), the speed limit on these roads is (was) 35 MPH, less in the village for safety reasons. Think about your favorite back road, curvy, not the dragon, and these speeds
Oldmanzues

Chupaca
11-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I see no link to the video but the TT Ise of Mann is the greatest one. I saw the lap record is now at 211.9 miles per hour. You do have to be some kind of good to finish in the top of this pack of have no fear riders...!!

jerpinoy
11-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Someday :spyder2: will be on TT race?:yes::yes::yes:

Oldmanzues
11-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I see no link to the video but the TT Ise of Mann is the greatest one. I saw the lap record is now at 211.9 miles per hour. You do have to be some kind of good to finish in the top of this pack of have no fear riders...!!
I just clicked on the play arrow of the image.
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
11-06-2013, 03:14 PM
:shocked: just awesome!! :bowdown: :clap: :2thumbs:

Barlock
11-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I didn't even realise one could ride that fast - 200 mph!

Mets79ST2013
11-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Each lap is 37.75 miles long with over 200 turns. And the record for a single lap is over 130 MPH.

There are straight sections where the bikes hit over 200 MPH -- You can actually read their speedometers.
It Is hard to imagine such riding speeds but they do it every year at the end of May and have been doing so since 1907.
There have been over 240 rider fatalities in the history of the event but it is bigger than ever today.
Two riders were killed during the 2012 events.

The helmet cam video over the last minute or so of the clip is spectacular.
This event makes car racers look like a bunch of wussies.
Even Sir Jackie Stewart is amazed by what he is saw (He is interviewed in the video).
BTW, former Formula One World Champion John Surtees won this event before he switched from motorcycles to race cars.
USAF Jet fighter pilots stationed in England, practiced "special weapons" delivery runs utilizing Electronic / Radar scoring equipment positioned on the Isle of Man. (Cold War Era).

http://vimeo.com/53551115[/I][/URL]

Thank you great video I wish our bikes can do at least 160 mph.....wishful thinking......:bowdown:

Flanker
11-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I've always wanted to take it in............................but haven't.

You might enjoy checking out the Silver State Classic as well. The record for that is over 230 (I think).

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/